Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

IceBlink Basic (Engine+Toolset)

The Raventhal is now also up on the Apple App Store for all you Apple fanbois ;)

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-raventhal-ibbasic-rpg/id1434796255?ls=1&mt=8

are these D&D based? I can play on my PC? Neverwintervault is down right now or something, links don't work. That is temporary I assume? Are there any iceblink engine 2 games yet? Why not put these games on steam once created? I would love to support these games, I am downloading bluestacks because it seems I can use it to play the googleplay versions...is there some other way though?

Dorateen

Arcane
The Raventhal is now also up on the Apple App Store for all you Apple fanbois ;)

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-raventhal-ibbasic-rpg/id1434796255?ls=1&mt=8

are these D&D based? I can play on my PC?

D&D inspired, I would say. It takes some liberties with the rules, spell casting is mana based instead of vancian, but the engine is pretty customizable. Some irregularities you might find here and there if you are looking for a strict D&D translation.

Hearkenwold is the module I have been working on for the PC. Looks like it is still up at the neverwintervault.

slowdive

Bree Arts
Developer
are these D&D based? I can play on my PC? Neverwintervault is down right now or something, links don't work. That is temporary I assume? Are there any iceblink engine 2 games yet? Why not put these games on steam once created? I would love to support these games, I am downloading bluestacks because it seems I can use it to play the googleplay versions...is there some other way though?
Iceblink has two options, IceBlink (IB) and IceBlink Basic (IBbassic). IB is for PC only and IBbasic runs on PC, Android, and iOS. There is no IB 2, we are just calling it IceBlink. The newest builds for IB are being posted by Karl via the IB forums. Dorateen has been packaging the IB engine with his most recent versions of Hearkenwold to make it a one stop shopping for those playing the awesome Hearkenwold module. For anyone wanting to support these games, the best way is to play them and provide feedback to the authors :)

Mustawd

Lanterna - The Exile finally made it to the App Store after 30 days in Apple review process (same app was in Google Play review for 3 hours).

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lanterna-the-exile-ibbasic/id1436560912

This is the only IBbasic paid app. Not because it is the best by any stretch, but because I wrote this module and any proceeds will go to help with IB forum's annual server fees and Apple dev fee.

Bought. Hopefully more modules come to the app store. Thanks for this!

slowdive

Bree Arts
Developer
Bought. Hopefully more modules come to the app store. Thanks for this!
I have The Birthday (by Zach Holbrook) and The Elderin Stone (by Pongo) ready to go for the App Store. The Birthday is waiting for review and The Elderin Stone is available through TestFlight and will be pushed out to Apple review this weekend. It took 30 days for Lanterna's review so who knows how long before they actually are on the App Store (The Birthday has been waiting for Apple review for 7 days so far). Both have been up on Google Play for weeks now.

thanks for the answers, this engine and the games really look great.
Thanks for trying these out and we (the IB community) hope you enjoy them.

slowdive

Bree Arts
Developer
The next feature I'm adding to the IBbasic engine+toolset app is the ability to export your party from any IBbasic campaign module to another campaign module. IBbasic campaign modules just need to follow a certain set of common settings to be compatible (Hearkenwold and The Elderin Stone should be compatible). This way builders can make smaller modules and players can string a series of modules together to take their party through. Each module should describe the minimum to maximum party level and size expected and how many levels may be gained. Similar to the way many pen & paper groups take their party through multiple modules to create a larger campaign.

The common settings would be:
-up to 6 party members need to be allowed (make sure max party size is set to 6)
-no custom classes, races, spells, traits, or effects (only use the default ones)
-can use custom creatures and even items (custom items will be attached to the party file and transferred to other modules when imported)

Thoughts?

Last edited:

slowdive

Bree Arts
Developer
I started adding the party campaign system. So far I have a partyCampaign screen for exporting/importing a party from/to a module. The system will allow for custom items to be included in the partyCampaign file and all save game files so that your party can keep any module custom items and use them in other modules. It all seems to be implemented and working so far, but I will need to do more testing first. You can see here that in order for this party to work in other IBbasic modules, I had to make Kangath a 'human'...I'll probably change him to a dwarf.

EXPORT screen (accessed from the party screen in game):
file.php

IMPORT screen (accessed from the party build screen when starting a new game):
file.php

I added all the same import/export code to the iOS and Android versions (Xamarin) as well now and tested it out on my iPhone (works great)...now we just need lots of short modules with varying starting levels to test this out properly :P

I started thinking that maybe the IB community could develop a common setting for these IBbasic campaign modules to take place in. A Tolkien/FR-esque type place would be best. Maybe we could create a large map and let builders flush out the details of specific areas on the map where their module takes place. Thoughts?

We could fit Hearkenwold and The Elderin Stone locations on the map maybe? The world lore and world history may be a bit tricky, but each builder can take some liberties and players will need to use their imagination a bit. Thoughts?

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
As much as I love IceBlink, I have to ask: Is anyone concerned about the project or its modules running into legal issues due to the use of assets from FRUA? There are an abundance of original walls and backdrops created by FRUA and DC artists that could be used with permission instead of the artwork created by SSI.

Understand, I only bring this up as a concerned fan. Not trying to be an ass.

Dorateen

Arcane
As much as I love IceBlink, I have to ask: Is anyone concerned about the project or its modules running into legal issues due to the use of assets from FRUA? There are an abundance of original walls and backdrops created by FRUA and DC artists that could be used with permission instead of the artwork created by SSI.

All the goldbox style assets I used, I pulled from the FRUA archive. I figured this was ok, since the art is made available for a community of design builders. Of course, the project I'm working on has no commercial value, so that could be a factor, too. I thought for any paid IceBlink module, slowdive was using hand drawn art, even if patterned after SSI graphics.

slowdive

Bree Arts
Developer

Understand, I only bring this up as a concerned fan. Not trying to be an ass.

I've kept this in mind from the beginning, but I don't think this will be an issue. If at any point, an owner of artwork requests removal or specific credit, we will happily do so. Since the project makes no money, I really don't see anyone like GOG coming after us for any reason... they are too busy making money to worry about us making free stuff. My paid app uses mostly my artwork, but it makes no money and if anyone wanted me to remove artwork, I will. Again, I just don't think anyone really cares enough about our little niche project to go after us.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
I've kept this in mind from the beginning, but I don't think this will be an issue. If at any point, an owner of artwork requests removal or specific credit, we will happily do so. Since the project makes no money, I really don't see anyone like GOG coming after us for any reason... they are too busy making money to worry about us making free stuff. My paid app uses mostly my artwork, but it makes no money and if anyone wanted me to remove artwork, I will. Again, I just don't think anyone really cares enough about our little niche project to go after us.

I will state again that this is just something I brought up as a concerned fan of IceBlink and not to cause any issues.

I will tell you that even after all these years, there are some companies that have told us in the FRUA community that we absolutely cannot use their art assets in FRUA for any reason (we tend to ask permission when in doubt). While a lot of companies are fine with it since we don't make any money on our modules, there are some that take a pretty hard stance. I am not a representative of the people who currently own the assets to old SSI titles, so I don't claim to know what their stance would be.

My concern, honestly, is less about you or an author of an IceBlink adventure being sued and more about Apple being finicky enough to pull the games off the Apple store (I doubt Google would do the same, though). So, it's just an honest question, really. That and the screenshots look like Dark Queen of Krynn or FRUA, given that after all these years I could spot those wallsets and backdrops in my sleep.

That being said, keep going. I love where you're going with the project.

slowdive

Bree Arts
Developer
My concern, honestly, is less about you or an author of an IceBlink adventure being sued and more about Apple being finicky enough to pull the games off the Apple store (I doubt Google would do the same, though). So, it's just an honest question, really. That and the screenshots look like Dark Queen of Krynn or FRUA, given that after all these years I could spot those wallsets and backdrops in my sleep.

That being said, keep going. I love where you're going with the project.

Ah, good point. Apple is very "finicky" (I can think of other more appropriate words, but I'll refrain :P )
I would love to find someone who could create all the pixel art just for IceBlink, but so far no one has volunteered. It has been up to us few IB community members to make what we can. Pongo has made some great tiles for The Elderin Stone and Blackwinter. I made a lot of the stuff for Lanterna 1 & 2, but it is not the best quality of course.

I posted IBbasic v17 to Google Play and to The Vault:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iceblinkengine.ibb.ibbasic

https://neverwintervault.org/project/iceblink/other/tool/iceblink-basic-enginetoolset

the iOS TesstFlight link should work once Apple has approved v17 for beta testing:

https://testflight.apple.com/join/nfmK3r6X

Update Notes for v17:
-added ability to resize area maps from the area editor walk/LoS tab
-fixed some bugs in convo editor
-added ability to download modules from within the app
-added a "news" button on splash screen to get the latest IB news
-added buttons on splash screen to go to our website and twitter page

slowdive

Bree Arts
Developer
Added transform features to the art editor (shift, rotate, flip) and created new buttons for:
-common disk functions button (new, open, save, save as)
-bucket fill (current color or erase all)
-swap palette (cycles through all available palettes including user palettes...palettes are 9x20 png for a maximum total of 180 colors. I am showing here a simplified palette of only 48 colors)
-transform (shift up/down/left/right, rotate clockwise/counterclockwise, flip horizontal/vertical)
file.php

slowdive

Bree Arts
Developer
Blackwinter by Pongo can now be downloaded from within the IBbasic app:
Pongo's Description:
"This is a story driven module for one player character. The demo takes the PC through an opening area of the module. It finishes at the point where the module "opens up" and the PC becomes free to explore the game world through travelling on a World Map. There is no content linked to the World Map at the minute though, so this is in effect the end of the demo!"
file.php

file.php

file.php

Mustawd

slowdive just a quick suggestion for iphone version. The beginning of each module has a quick tooltip box that comes up after char dev.

Anyway we can add on to that to go through each section of the UI to explain what it does? IIRC the PC version allows you to hover the mouse over a button and see some info. However, on my phone that’s not an option, and as a result have no idea what most of these buttons do (I’ve forgotten from playing on pc last time).

I’m imagining a tooltip box in which each button is highlighted by showing a bright green border and the tooltip mentions what that button does. And so on until all UI elements have been explained. Ofc a “Skip tooltip” option would be present for ppl aware of it already. A “next” and “back” or “previous” buttons would be nice to ensure you remember everything before exiting out of the tooltips box.

Just a thought on improving the mobile experience.

EDIT: Also a “?” Icon where you repeat that tooltip box would also be helpful to remind yourself as you play.

slowdive

Bree Arts
Developer
Added tooltips to the main map screen based on mustawd's suggestion. When you toggle the "help" button on, any tap on other buttons only shows a tooltip for that button and does not actually do the buttons action. It is a safe mode in a sense as you can freely tap away at the interface to learn more about the various buttons without accidentally performing an action. You will not be able to do any actions until you turn off the "help" mode.

In this screenshot, I was hovering the mouse over the "?" (help) button:
file.php

I'll added similar tooltip functionality to the combat screen. I think most of the other screens are somewhat self explanatory. I already have this functionality in the conversation editor node tab panel. I was planning on adding it to more of the toolset screens as well.

By the way, I posted v20 to Google Play and to the NeverwinterVault (PC version). I'll post to TestFlight once I have v21 ready (probably the end of the weekend).

Last edited:

Mustawd

Added tooltips to the main map screen based on mustawd's suggestion

So is this applied to the iphone version, or do you have to submit a whole new version to the apple app store every time there is an update?

slowdive

Bree Arts
Developer
Added tooltips to the main map screen based on mustawd's suggestion

So is this applied to the iphone version, or do you have to submit a whole new version to the apple app store every time there is an update?

I have to submit a new build to Apple with each update. The review times for apps in TestFlight are very quick though. I plan on having v21 out on Google Play and TestFlight either tonight or tomorrow night. v21 will have the tooltips for the main map screen and combat screen. The module updates that can be downloaded/updated from in the IBbasic app do not go through Google or Apple, they are updated and placed on our server. Same with the IBbasic news updates.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So I'm playing Laterna the Exile and I got into a wolf encounter. I killed all the wolves and the battle just hanged there.

Ended all turns, moved around, nothing. iPhone version.

slowdive

Bree Arts
Developer
So I'm playing Laterna the Exile and I got into a wolf encounter. I killed all the wolves and the battle just hanged there.

Ended all turns, moved around, nothing. iPhone version.

Try loading from a previous save and try the encounter again to see if it hangs every time or just under certain events. I'll try and do the same on my end to see why. Others have completed the game and that encounter (I believe), so I'm thinking that there must have been some specific action that caused the issue.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom