Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

Zer0wing

Cipher
Pretty accurate representation of what many of us abhorred by sound design and ost feel when playing Doom 2016 and heard from Eternal videos.

HansDampf

Arcane
I link this video, and specifically the time-stamped part, whenever this discussion comes up, because it really elucidates what Doom was when it originally came out.

That was great, I've watched the entire series. Romero is such a bro. Best moment is when he calls modern FPS "Grandpa's Shooter". +M

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Pretty accurate representation of what many of us abhorred by sound design and ost feel when playing Doom 2016 and heard from Eternal videos.

Sorry you don't like cool sounds and amazing music.
Cool sounds and amazing music become a problem when they start becoming disorienting once you can't hear what's going on around you. Even in Doom (with modern sourceports) you can at least kind of tell where an enemy is and how close an Arachnotron is by the volume of its stomping, though sound design wasn't as important in Doom because you face most enemies in Doom head-on, enemies in Doom don't try to circle outside your field of vision, and levels which spawn enemies behind you are often shit anyways. I don't understand why the audio mix in nuDoom then prefers to prioritize the constant screaming of the Possessed, which are literal cannon fodder enemies. I'd rather choose to hear what those devious Imps are up to around me.

I mean, put on some headphones and stay awhile and listen to this:

Each enemy type on the field has its own distinguishable sound in the mix when they're spawned, and thanks to stereo panning you can often get a sense of where they are around you. Skulls emit this persistent low-rumbling noise when they appear (which makes sense considering they're the most common enemy type), Horned Skulls audibly chuckle when they start getting close to you, and Spiders are high-priority enemies which emit this immediately obvious crackling sounds.

I mean, in a first-person game I'd rather prefer sounds which are functional and informative in purpose rather than something that just 'sounds' cool.

Deakul

Augur
You guys really just have a bizarre issue with every little thing.

The sounds in the game are fine, I never had problems figuring out where enemies were or which one was making what sound.

I use a cheap set of logitech speakers too.

U-8D8

Savant
Halo is very, very slow...
I can understand how you came to that conclusion, but I think Halo CE's combat is as fast as you're willing to make it. As long as you have a plasma weapon and the pistol elites can go down in seconds, which will more often than not send the grunts into a panic where they're easy pickings. Jackals only take one shot to make them raise they're shield in the stagger animation and another to the head to take them out. I'm simplifying it a lot and it takes a lot of practice, but when you get the hang of it even Legendary difficulty can be completed relatively quickly.

I still remember the Library
The library can be a bitch, yeah. I like to think Bungie had it that way so players could get used to the flood as an enemy, but considering it's after 343 Guilty Spark it's a little late for it. Also the large copy paste areas tend to drag on without a hog or a ghost. But other than that level, they usually give you a vehicle to traverse the larger environments so you don't have to worry about too much walking.

I'd say I had more of a problem with playing through the same levels in reverse than any significant flaw in the level design. They were decent the first and second time, but it just feels tiring to be going through the same level again, except the maw, which is just a great level altogether. I personally have the most problem with the weapon sandbox. The issue of the assault rifle aside, there isn't any legitimate reason to put down the pistol unless you've found a power weapon, and even then most of the time I switch out my secondary weapon just to keep the pistol. They really should have added more than two headshot capable weapons to keep the gameplay from getting stale.

... the Hunters give interesting combat

Really? I thought they were too easy. One shot to the exposed back and they go down on any difficulty. I thought two of the positives the sequel brought were one; increasing the pool of headshot capable weapons and two; buffing the hunters to the mini-bosses they deserved to be.

Also, I've only played Halo CE on the PC, so if any of the troubles you mentioned stemmed from having to wrestle with a controller, then I offer my condolences and concede to the points you made wholeheartedly.

PrettyDeadman

Don't plan on watching the video (because it seems to be offensively boring), but agree with the tittle:

Though, it seems the guy is actually defending nuDoom 2...

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The near-reflexive speed with which LOL SJW MAD videos started appearing in my feed after the gameplay reveal is somehow also irksome to me in a strange way. Like being chosen by the rest to tell you patriot mother that our country won a football match in the nationals and having to endure her euphoria because you failed to keep the door closed in time after telling her.

It's an old song and game everybody knows by now how it plays out. Still making such a big fuss out of it whenever it is brought up is tiresome when at this point it's worth a passing snicker at most.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Whoa, that footage of that game "Devil Daggers" looks FUN AS FUCK!

Where can I download that? I googled the name but di--[PIRACY IS WRONG]--o I was wondering.

Besides that, are there any other shooters that play like how that looks? I don't mean that they have "indie graphics" or whatever, just that they play like a real good shooter, it can be A, AA, AAA, whatever, just I really suddenly want to play a good DOOM-clone of the legitimate kind, preferably with the awesome audio mixing you guys are talking about.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I could make a Doom mod like that with the resources I have already easy enough. I would need a good reason to do it though which is unlikely.

Citation? What do you want me to make?

Projects in various states of REDACTED:

GooglyDoom DONE. I used resources from TrumpDoom and Moonman Doom to make my own Donald Trump Doom mod. Currently unreleased. I then used it as a base for a mod for The Order/NMA. Somewhat of a Jokewad with a lot of Deep State references, Alex Jones memes, Todd Howard, Fallout, blah blah, ya get it. I did make a variant of MoonMan as well. It's better than the real one.

Twin Peaks Doom. Proof of concept complete. Not currently working on it. I will at a later date when the OCD kicks back in.

Fallout Doom. 2 lines of thought on this one. Go straight FPS level based like in vanilla Doom, through various Wasteland locations with a secret level to kill Todd Howard. I think it would be just for the character to be the original Pip-Boy. Maybe even have him kill the fake Pip. Alternatively we could do a hub design with some Strife RPG mechanics. Levels already exist to create the base for this. I have all the sprites needed for modification.

I could do a mod for Codex but everytime I ask nobody gives a fuck which is generally the reception such projects get online even if they are good. Amazing mods get three page threads where the mod author likely goes off and commits suicide not long after.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Don't plan on watching the video (because it seems to be offensively boring), but agree with the tittle:

Though, it seems the guy is actually defending nuDoom 2...

Not gonna watch video either, i'll just say that the game is inoffensively boring.

Squid

Arbiter
We are not just making a Doom game anymore, we're building a Doom universe.

This sounds like a threat.
It's gonna help sell it even more. People love the idea that everything they like they need to have "deep lore" and a super big "game universe." People don't want to just enjoy games or even game series anymore. They gotta have this investment of lore and universes for all of them.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I'll put this thing here, since it's more about advertisement than celebration of the series:

Times change. DOOM is Eternal. Join the brand-new official DOOM fan club now at https://beth.games/2Pug9eF

A quarter century has passed since DOOM was released to the unsuspecting masses. More than two decades later the franchise has spawned multiple sequels, spin-off titles, films, comics, and cemented itself as part of the pop culture lexicon. Over the next year we’re celebrating 25 years of ripping and tearing. Twenty-five years of mods, gibs, guns, and the most passionate, unwavering, and ardent fan base this side of Phobos. Whether you cut your teeth in 1993 or if DOOM (2016) was your first trip to Hell, we’re asking all DOOM Slayers past, present, and future to unite in celebrating one of entertainment’s most iconic franchises. Welcome to the Year of DOOM.

Join the brand-new official DOOM fan club now at https://beth.games/2Pug9eF. Just for signing up, you'll receive an exclusive 25th Anniversary Zombie DOOM Slayer skin to be used in DOOM Eternal when it launches. Stay tuned to the site for more details on how to participate in the Year of DOOM, including information on exclusive content, rewards, events, contests, and much more.

Have your own favorite DOOM memories? Share your favorites on social with the hashtag #DOOM25.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
"Building a Doom universe" - I bet if there is another game after Doom Eternal its going to be some massive open world crap to do repetitive stuff for 60324634603400000000046346346 hours and buy crap through microtransactions :/

Wunderbar

Arcane
Confirmed to be bethnet exclusive.
After that doxxing blunder - good luck with PC sales. I'm not buying anything from them unless it's on steam.

"Building a Doom universe" - I bet if there is another game after Doom Eternal its going to be some massive open world crap to do repetitive stuff for 60324634603400000000046346346 hours and buy crap through microtransactions :/
i think it'll be like with deus ex mankind divided.
Square enix tried to shove some "universe" crap down our throats, DE-MD bombed in sales and that was it.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected

After I read how Rebel Galaxy is first year exclusive to Epic Store, I thought now the madness with exclusiveness starts and other companies like Bethesda will also make all their games exclusive... well, that was fast. If Doom Eternal is exclusive, so will be Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6 and Fallout 5. I mean inXile & Obsidian games will also be exclusive to Windows Store in future... so every major publisher makes their games exclusive to their platform.

Baron Dupek

Arcane

After I read how Rebel Galaxy is first year exclusive to Epic Store, I thought now the madness with exclusiveness starts and other companies like Bethesda will also make all their games exclusive... well, that was fast. If Doom Eternal is exclusive, so will be Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6 and Fallout 5. I mean inXile & Obsidian games will also be exclusive to Windows Store in future... so every major publisher makes their games exclusive to their platform.

Isn't that funny how history repeat itself? This time that "war for exclusives" came from consoles to PC...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom