Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Another Age of Pirates 2 thread

You'd be better off buying it on Gog, Steam older games often have issues.

In this game, when you are sailing, the perspective is always outside the ship, right? Or is there a way to have a perspective from a person aboard, rather than a bird's eye view of the vessel?

I believe pressing Tab (?) should do exactly that. You can walk around on board and aim your cannons with a bit more precision. That's how it worked in Sea Dogs 2, at least.

You'd be better off buying it on Gog, Steam older games often have issues.

In this game, when you are sailing, the perspective is always outside the ship, right? Or is there a way to have a perspective from a person aboard, rather than a bird's eye view of the vessel?

I believe pressing Tab (?) should do exactly that. You can walk around on board and aim your cannons with a bit more precision. That's how it worked in Sea Dogs 2, at least.

What else can you do in that view? Can you talk to crew members?

You can use the spyglass to glean info on nearby ships and forts. Like hull and crew strength, ship class and name, speed, so forth (some of it may be turned off depending on spyglass quality). As for talking to the crew, I'm not entirely sure how CoAS handles this. However, some mods for SD2 do allow you to walk around on your ship and talk to sailors, but never whilst in sailing mode.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You can use the spyglass to glean info on nearby ships and forts. Like hull and crew strength, ship class and name, speed, so forth (some of it may be turned off depending on spyglass quality). As for talking to the crew, I'm not entirely sure how CoAS handles this. However, some mods for SD2 do allow you to walk around on your ship and talk to sailors, but never whilst in sailing mode.
So while sailing you can open the options wherein you'll have the capacity to visit the captain's cabin. From there you can walk belowdeck, through the cargo hold where you can manage prisoners and the officers cabin as well.
Mind you this is a feature only on ships big enough to have a captain's cabin in the first place.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Decided to try this after AC IV because I love pirate-oriented shit and wanted something with a little more depth. Boy, does it run like ass in Windows 10! Decided I didn't want to play it after all because micro-stutter is my number #1 dealbreaker, especially a game this old. But before giving up, I decided to fiddle with settings and had a major breakthrough - use FPS limiter software or it's gonna be crap. I used Rvia Tuner to limit it to 60 FPS (don't use the game's engine.ini to do this). Now it runs like silk at 1920 X 1080. However, there's a sound issue with this game under Windows 10 (distorted audio and music), at least using Nvidia HD audio there is. But changing UseMM in the engine.ini from 1 to 0 fixed it. Now I'm good to go and try this out, however I'm disappointed to notice that a small portion of the bottom of the screen is clipped with 1920X1080, presumably because it's an old 4:3 game not really designed for widescreen but it's bearable. I'm using the bugfix-only 1.7 GOF mod.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Decided to try this after AC IV because I love pirate-oriented shit and wanted something with a little more depth. Boy, does it run like ass in Windows 10! Decided I didn't want to play it after all because micro-stutter is my number #1 dealbreaker, especially a game this old. But before giving up, I decided to fiddle with settings and had a major breakthrough - use FPS limiter software or it's gonna be crap. I used Rvia Tuner to limit it to 60 FPS (don't use the game's engine.ini to do this). Now it runs like silk at 1920 X 1080. However, there's a sound issue with this game under Windows 10 (distorted audio and music), at least using Nvidia HD audio there is. But changing UseMM in the engine.ini from 1 to 0 fixed it. Now I'm good to go and try this out, however I'm disappointed to notice that a small portion of the bottom of the screen is clipped with 1920X1080, presumably because it's an old 4:3 game not really designed for widescreen but it's bearable. I'm using the bugfix-only 1.7 GOF mod.
I hope you aren't using the ENB addition with the Combined mod. That fucks shit up.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I hope you aren't using the ENB addition with the Combined mod. That fucks shit up.

No. I tested it though and yes I take a big hit with it enabled. I did notice though that even with the fixes I described above it will randomly drop frames very noticeably every few seconds/minutes then come back up. It's old, I know, and Nvidia these days probably doesn't play well with DirectX 8. I'm using a GTX 1070.

Last edited:

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
I tried to see if the Gentlemen of Fortune Eras mod was updated after seeing this thread pop back up and saw that the newest version requires a "Maelstrom" engine download that they're charging for. That feels suspicious as hell to me.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Was gonna play CoAS but my Nvidia GTX 1070 hates it. Even at the lowest detail settings/resolutions, I get that annoying micro-stutter every few seconds which is not even tied to framerate drops since I maintain a constant 60 FPS locked into RivaTuner. It's funny because I don't recall this happening on my old Nvidia 660Ti with this game. I can actually tolerate lower framerates - sometimes as low as 24 FPS (which was the standard in films for years), as long as it's constant, but micro-stutter is cancer.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I tried to see if the Gentlemen of Fortune Eras mod was updated after seeing this thread pop back up and saw that the newest version requires a "Maelstrom" engine download that they're charging for. That feels suspicious as hell to me.
The Maelstrom engine is the modders attempting to essentially rebuilt Age of Pirates using the source code (which is apparently freeware). Probably to have better modern compatibility. I assume that they need that engine for the latest version of the mods since it barely worked on the original game itself.

It's a little scummy to charge $12 for what is essentially a sourceport, but I'd say the endeavor is commendable at least.

Pipeweed

Arcane
Ahoy!

We are pleased to share the news that we have received permission from the copyright holder to open the source code of Storm Engine.

We believe that this will help us make Sea Dogs better and we urge everyone with programming experience to join the work on the engine legally.

You can find the source code here: https://github.com/storm-devs/storm-engine.

edit: cant build for linux yet

Last edited:

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
thank u for the recommendations, ERYFKRAD. City Of Abandoned Ships looks particularly great, especially with that deep RPG system and ruleset. definitely my kinda thing, so i'm going to pick it up. thanks again! <3

Last edited:

Pipeweed

Arcane
header.jpg

Is this final fantasy animu person supposed to be the protag or the pirate gf you get late in the game? :lol:
This is a legit sea dogs game by the way not a shitty spin off. I played in short bursts and loved it. Still runs on your babushka's gaming pc.

Edit: Yeah its your RUS ))))) pirate gf. Why are there so many russians in caribbean?

Edit2: Uninstalled in a fit of gamer rage. Pirate DLC questgiver said come back in a month, I did and failed the whole quest chain. He should have said no later than a month.
There are time limits on everything not that its bad design but an ambiguous dialogue line ruined the whole thing for me.

Also you cant capture cities I guess, only plunder them.
Sea dogs gameplay is at its best when you have a medium fast ship and engage in low level adventures in my opinion. It becomes a slog later on.

Last edited:

vazha

Arcane
I remember not finishing this one because they changed the combat system and it was either abuse parry button or die. Has that persisted in legendary edition?

Camel

Scholar
Remember playing the Black pearl one which was bought by Disney to promote their first Pirates of the Caribbean movie with Johnnie Depp. I was stunned by pirate adventures and naval combat but clunky gameplay on the shore was a letdown.

Overall a great game which I never finished because of a game breaking bug. I should try it when I have time.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
it was either abuse parry button or die.
Eh, you only needed to parry the overhead strike, which cannot be blocked. You could also counter them. I don't think that changed. Of course, in higher difficulties enemies would have the perk that lets some regular attacks break through blocks.

Please somebody ask them how after like 20 games in the series, they STILL haven't figured out how to implement a melee combat system that doesn't require the player to slow down gametime in order to parry effectively.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom