Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG with the best story / dialogue

aeroaeko

Learned
I am new to rpgs and only started playing recently. I really like well written stories and dialogue but kind of dislike combat and would prefer to avoid it if possible. I can tolerate quite a fair amount of janky gameplay as long as the story and narrative are good. What are some games I should check out?
So far I've played:
Planescape Torment (LOVED this) (is tides of numenera any good)
Fallout 2,3,4 & New Vegas (New Vegas by far my favourite)
KOTOR 1 & 2 (liked 2 a LOT more)
VTMB (liked this a lot)
Alpha Protocol
The Witcher 2 & 3
EYE Divine Cybermancy

Also I would prefer if they were from 1995 or newer. Thanks.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Planescape Torment obviously!

Just kidding. It's KOTOR 2.

Good choices though.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Also, you might want to try other genres, like adventure games and interactive fiction, where combat wouldn't be an obstacle. Still, AOD is easy to play as combat-free, FO is a little harder but still possible to play combat-free, and combat and itemization is so crappy in MOTB that ego te absolvo if you just use a cheat code to make yourself invincible.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I would add Arcanum and Serpent in the staglands.
Geneforge is another game you could take a look at.
Heroine's quest is not a game you play for its combat and its story is pretty decent, although it's not focused on dialog choices like the other games in the thread, and some similar thing can be said about NEO scavenger.

Kingdom come deliverance has a nice story.
You can cheese the combat very easily by staring at the ground and before queuing your next attack

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
KOTOR 2 is a breeze when it comes to fighting. Dialogues are great though, and itemization is so much fun.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Planescape Torment (LOVED this) (is tides of numenera any good)

It's not good but considering your tastes of little combat/lots of dialogue, you might like it. It's decent enough, not as terrible as some say, just mediocre. I'd say try it out because the way you describe your tastes it might be fun for you.

Binky

Cipher
From the Codex top 50:
Anachronox - great dialogue, but has lots of combat
Jagged Alliance 2 - Oh dear lord. Lots of combat, but lovely dialogue. Fidel, Deidranna, Meltdown, Maddog,... Hell, Razor alone is enough to play this game: "I don't know why everyone thinks I'm psychotic. I'm not psychotic, I just have a *passion* for my job."
King of Dragon Pass - RPG & strategy hybrid. Peace clan all the way. Farm & trade your way to victory.

Ninjerk

Arcane
sup Black Cat
12782.jpg

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I am new to rpgs and only started playing recently. I really like well written stories and dialogue but kind of dislike combat and would prefer to avoid it if possible.

Why is it that noobs always start out as storyfags?

Gain experience and level up to gameplayfag or remain in your storyhole forever. Sophisticated gentlemen realize that even the best video game stories are ultimately shyte and then these gentlemen ascend to gameplayfags; notwithstanding the possibility to enjoy good-for-what-it-is writing, of course.

I can tolerate quite a fair amount of janky gameplay as long as the story and narrative are good.

Its like saying I can tolerate a game that plays bad. Its like saying you can tolerate shit movies as long as the music is good. If you want a great narrative, read a book. Games are for playing, not for reading. Sure, you can waste your time playing them 'for the story' but you will waste your time doing something that the medium you are dealing with is subpar at, while sacrificing the core element of the medium, which is how the game plays.

Good story is a cherry on top, not a core feature.

There you have it, storyfaggotry is objectively degenerate because it inflates the importance of secondary game features over what should be its primary features and what you end up with is in the worst case shit on both ends of the stick.

Age of Decadence writing was bredy gud
Life is Strange was best video game story Max & Chloe <3 4 eva come an fite me if u disagree

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom