Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen - Chaos Chronicles reborn and dead again

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
OK that's enough, time for a real update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ceresgames/realms-beyond-ashes-of-the-fallen/posts/2319485

The Journal and the Map – an Adventurer’s Tools

An adventurer should always keep his thoughts organized. During his journeys, he will come across many interesting characters who might offer him a job, or just have a skill that might come in useful one day. He might spot a locked door he can’t get open, but wants to remember the place to check it out later. That’s where his journal and his map come into play.

Realms Beyond offers you a detailed journal and detailed minimaps for each location, so you can easily keep track of everything you have encountered on your travels. The journal will automatically record summaries of dialogues and list all the different quests you’ve learned about. To keep things interesting, the quest entries will not be updated automatically at every step of the way. While the clues themselves will be recorded, you have to connect them to the quest yourself!

As an example, let’s look at the simple quest of finding a buried treasure. A citizen of Vedwyd has found an old diary and treasure map when he cleaned out his basement. They belonged to his great-grandfather, a pirate who, when he was older, settled down to live an honest life on behest of his worried wife. But before he settled down, he buried some of his treasure at a location only he knew: a chest containing jewelry that could easily have been identified as loot from a recently plundered merchant ship.

The diary contains a short description of the location, and the treasure map is a crude drawing of what it looked like. "Berried jewls at renner grov", says the diary. "Start at nearby cave entrans. East 6 steps. North 4 steps. Luk at pointy rok bitween 2 trees. Pik it up an dig belo." Clear enough instructions to find the treasure, one might think. But the man doesn’t know what his great-grandfather meant by Renner Grove. There is no grove with such a name nearby. Maybe there had been, once – his great-grandfather had lived long before the Cataclysm, and in the turbulent times that followed, the name may simply have been forgotten. There is a clue, though: there was a cave entrance in the grove’s immediate vicinity.

e62892a544661b7c47da7f1ff1200393_original.jpg

28bfca260d8680d22c7e0af576d4daa4_original.gif

The journal will update with the basic information you’ve learned about the quest.

80d5e783cca9e3a4e0a6b262f9c4f26d_original.jpg

With this information in your tow, you can talk to other characters in town and ask them whether they know anything about a certain Renner Grove, or if they know any nearby groves that have a cave in their vicinity. And indeed, Amiella, the local hunter, knows about two groves in the nearby wilderness, both of them close to cave entrances. Both entrances connect to the same system of caverns, and they’re not far away from each other. She will mark both of them on your world map. The journal will automatically record this new piece of information you have learned, neatly sorted into the entries of interesting things you’ve learned from Amiella.

4f143dedb4202569376df01b7085d9fe_original.jpg

Now, with a proper clue, you can set out to look for the buried treasure. If you follow the instructions from the old diary – neatly recorded in your own journal – you can indeed find a pointy rock at one of the two groves. The old treasure map Mathis has given you can also help you determine which of the two locations is the right one.

7682f4615a9e6bdce5563c207e61b6da_original.jpg

Now that you found the rock underneath which the treasure is buried, you just have to pick it up and dig beneath it… oh, snap, you didn’t bring a shovel! You’ll have to head back to town and buy one. But wait! Since you found the spot, you should mark it on your map so you can find it more easily next time.

e1832d53d391874c69f6fd27527a60b9_original.jpg

The minimap in Realms Beyond allows you to set your own markers in order to mark any location you find interesting. This comes in very useful when you explore dungeons or towns, as you can mark places that you want to return to later, or places that you think might hold some significance.

fab038ffc4f480351e4f013cb9b82b99_original.jpg

If you get into an encounter that is too hard for you and you wish to return later, place a marker. If you find an interactable piece of environment but you don’t know what to do with it yet, place a marker. If you found a special item you think might be relevant for a puzzle, place a marker to remind you where you found it.

Some markers will be placed on the map automatically, triggered by interactions with objects in the world. As you can see on the screenshot, four of the markers look a little different. They haven’t been set by the player, but were placed after the player received some new information about the area. Areto’s Tomb was marked when the player read the inscription above the door, for example. The chamber of sacrifice was marked when he examined an offering bowl.

In addition to placing your own markers on the map, you can also write your own notes into the journal. Realms Beyond gives you all the tools you need to keep your information organized, without holding your hand. Important information is recorded automatically, but sorted by which character told it to you, not sorted by which quest it is related to – this way, you are free to make your own connections and come to your own conclusions, without the game doing it for you.

With our journal and minimap systems, we want to provide a user-friendly experience without taking away the feeling of discovery and accomplishment the old classics gave you. Of course, taking your own notes and placing your own markers on the map is entirely optional: something you can do if you feel that taking additional notes will help jog your memory. Giving the player options is what we’re all about, and allowing you to scribble all over your journal and map is one of those options.

Interacting with the Environment: yes, you can touch that!

Talking about the treasure hunt – as you may have noticed, it involves picking up a rock and digging beneath it. Many items in the game, and even some pieces of the environment (wall niches, inscriptions, a broken wall that looks climbable…) can be selected and interacted with. Every object can be scripted to be interactable and behave in different ways when interacted with.

899f12b75dee109e42895c4f43936b90_original.jpg

Interactable elements will be outlined when you hover your mouse over them. But beware: not every interactable item is beneficial. Some might be devious traps: a magical trigger that unleashes a storm of fire when touched, a lever that locks the only exit behind you, a valuable artifact that makes arrows shoot out of the wall when you pick it up. But they can also open new ways: a heap of boulders that can be cleared by a character of high strength, a magical barrier that dissipates when touched by an enchanted weapon, a tree that can be hacked down to create a makeshift bridge over a narrow ravine.

The many pretty objects that clutter our world are not mere decoration, they are fully interactable and often serve a gameplay purpose. Always be observant, and you will find many things to play around with in Realms Beyond. And since every object you can interact with is highlighted when your mouse passes over it, it means that there’s no annoying pixel hunting. You will see at a glance whether you can do something with an object or not.

This allows us to add elaborate puzzles to the game, as well as alternate quest solutions and plain fun environmental interactions. A statue that requires an item to be placed in its opened hands in order to unlock a secret door. A merchant’s cart that can be toppled over to create a distraction. Or a magic stone that hops away whenever you try to touch it.

The interactable objects in our environments follow the three golden rules of our game design: interactivity, reactivity, and player choice.

Stay tuned for the next update where we will talk about the world of Realms Beyond a little!

jungl

Augur
If I was realms beyond development team I would not remain faithful to the DnD ruleset. Stuff like two weapon fighting suck ass for no good reason.

Dorateen

Arcane
One thousand backers milestone passed.

Seven Dragon Saga ended with 1,806 backers in twelve days of the campaign.

To be fair, they also had a much higher funding goal.

Yes, definitely. They were out of line with asking $400 K, and would have been better off with lower expectations.

I'm using 7DS as a metric, because it is the last turn based D&D type crpg attempted on kickstarter, and should have a similar following. If Realms Beyond can track better than TSI did, then this funding campaign should be in good shape.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Approaching $50K with almost an entire month to go.

I predict you guys will hit a quarter million.
I don't want be the pessimist,but they hit 40 in the first day,then it died down. Hope that the rich mother fucker that bought the 5 grand package is a codexer and decide to make nice joke about it :).

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Hm, considering that :
If you get into an encounter that is too hard for you and you wish to return later, place a marker.
it appears to me as an important metagaming issue.
What if after a party defeat after this first encounter, player can mark his minimap when reloading and before a second attempt of the same fight?

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hm, considering that :
If you get into an encounter that is too hard for you and you wish to return later, place a marker.
What if after a party defeat after this first encounter, player can mark his minimap when reloading and before a second attempt of the same fight?
What would be the problem with that, exactly?

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Hm, considering that :
Being able to place a mark or add a note on a journal before facing a problem, meeting an event or an important NPC, just because the player remember this and that in a previous playtime is for me an issue. Imagine the player triggered a trap which killed all the party : game over. After reloading, being able to mark this on his map to prevent him to fall in the trap a second time is a problem. What if on a second playthrough, long after the first one, you are able to mark on your map and journal things you could remember ? Don't you consider this as an issue? One could answer players play the way they want, but in a core design, it's called metagaming, exploits and cheats. It seems logical to me to prevent that.

Don't get me wrong, I like this game feature, but the risk remains.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Don't you consider this as an issue?
No, but I remember someone who did. Quite an infamous figure around these parts. Personally, I enjoy being able to plan around the content on a second playthrough. Besides, for this to even become an issue, the game has to be enjoyable enough for me to want to replay it in the first place. Being overly concerned with squashing out metagaming is a great way to make sure that doesn't happen.

Dorateen

Arcane
Hm, considering that :
Being able to place a mark or add a note on a journal before facing a problem, meeting an event or an important NPC, just because the player remember this and that in a previous playtime is for me an issue. Imagine the player triggered a trap which killed all the party : game over. After reloading, being able to mark this on his map to prevent him to fall in the trap a second time is a problem. What if on a second playthrough, long after the first one, you are able to mark on your map and journal things you could remember ? Don't you consider this as an issue? One could answer players play the way they want, but in a core design, it's called metagaming, exploits and cheats. It seems logical to me to prevent that.

Don't get me wrong, I like this game feature, but the risk remains.

Unless I'm misunderstanding how this would be implemented, I don't see it very different from way back when playing Might & Magic II, I would scribble in a notebook coordinates and a message "Cuisinarts here, need to come back later!"

And I'm not beneath LARPING to phrase the message like, "there are rumors of Cuisinarts here, we should probably wait until we are stronger to come back here..."

Funposter

Arcane
Approaching $50K with almost an entire month to go.

I predict you guys will hit a quarter million.
Lmao. It'll barely make the goal. I say 120k.

Inclined to agree. Just looking at the data for other Kickstarters posted earlier in the thread, there will probably be a big rush at the end to meet the goal, matching about how much has been doinated so far. That puts them about 80% of the way, leaving another 30-40,000 to be raised during that three week period in the middle where very little is happening.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Well, this feat is nice. I will use it, be sure. But I don't want to abuse of it in the same time. What can Ceres Game do to prevent an abuse of this feature?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
It's not more of an "abuse" than reloading the game is.
Saves you the trouble of stepping into the same shit twice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom