Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline So what's making P:K so enjoyable?

The Great ThunThun*

How DARE you!?
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I was thinking about this especially because I don't particularly enjoy RTwP.

I came up with following possible reasons:

1. D&D spellcasting is fantastic as ever.
2. Combat pacing is friggin good for an RTwP mechanic.
3. Encounter design is surprisingly good and challenging.
4. Abilities actually seem to have impact on the game. Builds are enjoyable to explore.

Thoughts? More additions?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

4. Abilities actually seem to have impact on the game. Builds are enjoyable to explore.

What I love from the little I've seen of it yet is that they have implemented the PnP ruleset without giving a single fuck about retarded zoomers' "accessibility". And it doesn't seem to have hurt the reception one bit. Meanwhile, we know what happened when a certain company tried to engineer "D&D ruleset, but better" and "Infinity Engine combat, but better", counting on the sheer genius of the designer lead.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
If and only if you are a Trump supporter, then you are going to enjoy this game. Because it is made by the same people (i.e. Russians) who put Trump in charge.

It is that easy. A Trump supporter <-> P:K is enjoyable.

It is the biconditional, so from the fact that someone enjoys the game, we can also logically derive the fact that he is a Trump supporter. Even if he denies that and does not believe in that himself.

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
Last edited by a moderator:

haderlump

Literate
It's the most competent P&P implementation since Baldur's Gate that people have been starving for so long.
Really?

https://www.gog.com/game/the_temple_of_elemental_evil

Unfortunately I must agree with the new guy here. TOEE is hugely overrated among its niche players.
As a game it may be not to great, but it is the best D&D combat simulator. Maybe not as much fun as the goldbox games but it has the better ruleset and a nice representation.
Though the hoops you have to jump through to get to that combat are a bit extreme. Even painful.

Last edited by a moderator:

eggdogg

Learned

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What I love from the little I've seen of it yet is that they have implemented the PnP ruleset without giving a single fuck about retarded zoomers' "accessibility". And it doesn't seem to have hurt the reception one bit. Meanwhile, we know what happened when a certain company tried to engineer "D&D ruleset, but better" and "Infinity Engine combat, but better", counting on the sheer genius of the designer lead.
Pillars of Eternity has better sales and critic/user reviews.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I've been wondering this question as well. The answer cannot be just IE nostalgia, since the combat and other rules are very different. It just seems to always hit the right note with me. Itemization is great, UI just works and non zoomable camera is on perfect height for me. The world map is awesome. The main story is engaging and well told. Maps are sometimes too small, but bigger maps give that nostalgic IE feel. Combat feel very different compared to PoE - I can't say for sure why P:Ks combat feels so much more satisfying. The developing team's genuine love for the source material oozes from every detail and I just appreciate that kind of passion.

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

The bug hunting. Imagine the thrill when you try companion quest and then you don't know if it will not become unfinishable by bugs.

You can also try starting as new character again and again.
And also you can try barony management. That settlement building looks nice in chapter 2.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The world map is awesome.

I am generally curious how you can say such a thing. The "World Map" looks like it was designed by an elementary schoolr with zero knowledge of topography and geography. This is almost Zybourne Clock levels of no-thought fantasy maps. Rivers just going up and down mountains and looping around on themselves. Pretty sure the continental divide in the stolen lands is through the middle of the Narlmarshes, rather than either of the two mountain ranges. Of all the fantasy maps in cRPGs, I dare you to find one which is as low effort as this.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
The world map is awesome.

I am generally curious how you can say such a thing. The "World Map" looks like it was designed by an elementary schoolr with zero knowledge of topography and geography. This is almost Zybourne Clock levels of no-thought fantasy maps. Rivers just going up and down mountains and looping around on themselves. Pretty sure the continental divide in the stolen lands is through the middle of the Narlmarshes, rather than either of the two mountain ranges. Of all the fantasy maps in cRPGs, I dare you to find one which is as low effort as this.

In terms of topography and geography you're right - they didn't put any effort into it. Hopefully they can do better job with that in P:K 2. What I like about the map however is how you travel, camp, experience encounters and discover locales instead of just pressing a button and be instantly teleported to a new area map.

Very few CRPGs actually implement topography and geography of the world map as a game mechanic in a meaningful way, which is a shame. Meaning you'd actually have to have climbing gear to access mountainous regions, travelling through a poisonous swamp could make your party members ill or passing through a desert would require huge amounts of drinking water etc.

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
upload_2018-10-20_13-26-20.png

Just make another Infinity Engine-based CRPG, where the only thing that needs to be changed is the setting and story. Keep the core mechanics of those games the same. I don't need any improvements made to the old BG games, or PS:T, short of revamping some of the old graphics and animations as done in the Enhanced Editions. Bring back those gorgeous hand-drawn maps of old, and don't worry about the voice acting so much. Sure you wouldn't make as much money, but you also wouldn't spend nearly as much producing these games, and you'd be able to access an entirely new market of gamers.
My first post on this shit forum. You'll see some of the same people that gave me shit for that post on the PF:K thread singing its praises. Making a good game isn't fucking rocket science.

Codex Year of the Donut
The plot of the game is much smaller in scale than nearly every other crpg in the past few years.
It's not about a chosen one who must go kill the false gods and become a god themselves while hunting gods for godhood. It's about a mercenary who manages to land themselves a barony and is essentially being used as a pawn by much larger players in the game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
My first post on this shit forum. You'll see some of the same people that gave me shit for that post on the PF:K thread singing its praises. Making a good game isn't fucking rocket science.
Kingmaker doesn't use the mechanics of any IE game nor does it use prerendered maps. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom