Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

ArchAngel

Arcane
I acquired Nok Nok recently.. now combat has turned into protect and buff Nok Nok then watch him murder everyone alone :D

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Linear game design which requires that every map/quest/fight is adjusted to the level the player character will be when they do that map/quest/fight. The idea that you explore a map, and then return to follow up on the content that wasn't doable on the first try, is something for senile old geezers in a nursing home, obviously.
Jeff Vogel would say that kind of thing is actually for kids https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...expansion-thread.100006/page-200#post-4859720

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
pls help, people say there's a kingdom tab when you're on the map but for me there's nothing to see how can i check on events etc when away from the capital?

also: forget steam, fuck those losers, were it not for the bugs (i didn't run into any so far) this is the second coming of christ for dnd rpgs, or it would be were it TB instead RtwP

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
I've heard you can change Thotctavia's character to chaotic neutral.

Anyone else has character changes? I assume Harrim has one. Valerie? Can you turn her into an evil cunt who wants to destroy all degenerate art? :bounce:

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
pls help, people say there's a kingdom tab when you're on the map but for me there's nothing to see how can i check on events etc when away from the capital?

also: forget steam, fuck those losers, were it not for the bugs (i didn't run into any so far) this is the second coming of christ for dnd rpgs, or it would be were it TB instead RtwP
You have to be in your kingdom (in a land you have annexed), and it will be in the bottom-right of the overworld map.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
of course that require a carefull plannig and extreme min maxing.

the game at lowest difficulty is a clownfiesta that require almost zero effort.
Frankly this game has massive problem with major fights when it will lock you in a room, and when it spawns enemies behind your back. So it's not about CR, it's about them of not be competent GM.
So you would rather have PoE tank and spank?
At least in this game (on release) enemies sometimes will go beyond your front line and attack casters. I bet you don't like that as well, right?
You need to kite a bit and I bet you are too lazy for that.
WTF? You know you can't get Valerie as evil in early game right? So if you are starting as wizard or sorcerer you experience full line of characters that can't tank during first few combats in "tutorial"
So let's look at second combat after tutorial. (Or at least for evil second combat after tutorial.) Barbarian was critted in second round of combat by bow for 25 HP, thus down. So only tanks that remained were Harrim, who can't hit for shit, and J who when she goes down well at least she's dead already so no lucky crit, but she's not tank either, and third remaining person is caster who when try to cast would get three attack of opportunity, that assuming early casters have sufficient number of spells to murder all enemies. Another tank Oleg was lying on floor because he was swarmed by hordes after barbarian was shot. Also did I mention casters have hard time to hit high dex archer in close combat even with attacks of opportunity? I think the problem was solved by carefully maneuvering Harrim so attacks of opportunity will not cause problems, carefully using scroll on J, somehow evading these archers who one hit critted barbarian in armor, and let J who could hit stuff to deal with main archer. And expect Harrim to not die because then it would be two nearly dead next to no armor vs three melee fighters even after killing these archers.

And then we have that cute fight with T. mercenaries at level 2.

What front line? In grid based combat you can have front line, but there enemies are just running around and your characters can provoke attacks of opportunity that would be unlikely to happen in table top. Of course, your character can also charge enemy bard, eat 6 attacks of opportunity during charge, and kill the bard. I did just that in J. quest.

But let's look at this game from GM perspective.
There were serious mishaps.
In some combats they are casting like there would be no tomorrow. In fact, they are dumping spells so fast they are even preventing theirs teammates to attack you because there are 12 summoned wolves between you and them.
- A normal spellcaster would keep some spells in reserve, and would retreat because he would be not that much in use anyway. In fact a lot of wounded melee fighters would try to retreat as well when stuff goes bad. In fact some casters would preffer some spells over other even when they are not efficient. But developers of this game acted like small unshure children, throwing most dangerous stuff in every encounter, one primal hydra or two. No matter if it feels right or makes any sense.

Fantasy isn't about glorifying yellow, or blacks. Frankly kobolds are not known for high intelligence, and they typically don't learn high level spells. Typically.
Masterwork swords are not lying around every corner. And definitely don't fall into hands of highly populous low physical and mental ability species like kobolds, goblins, orcs... This stuff not only creates artificial difficulty, it also hurts suspension of disbelief.

Having nok nok smarter than majority of other kobolds because shaman did experiments on him to try increase intelligence and other stuff before he'd try it to himself and become hated by all kobolds because he's too smart. Frankly for these mass breeders an accomplishment was to learn magic missile. (Actually learning magic missile was accomplishment even for more capable species. Number of wizards in other species was relatively low as well.)

I hate term SJW, because as disabled I never seen a person who's typically called SJW to do anything for me. But frankly this game is hurting itself by being overly "politically correct" (Is SJW a new term for person who screws other people by "political correctness"?)

BTW you were joking about kitting with bow right? In real life you can't run quickly backward, and majority of people go fast after person who want to shoot them with bow. In fact, I never seen someone that can fire bow reliably when in close combat. Abuse AI and kite?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Just watch lower-right corner of your screen while you travel on the map.

Press Space once the button appears and then you can interact with it.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

A simple experimentation showed you can manage your barony when you are in your lands. Of course you can cross borders with unclaimed lands as baron without consequences, you just need to remember if you claimed that area already or not, otherwise you might get screwed up by not able to access kingdom interface when needed. (Adding borders on a map might be too helpful, and reduce difficulty. People might become angry at Nival interactive developers for Nival developers acting more sensibly.)

Yea any RPG is nice to have, at least this don't have shitty RPG system as Pillars of Eternity. Of course feats interface is horrible, either you have at least general clue about what feats you need for which class, and what are precursors, or you are completely screwed.

Linear game design which requires that every map/quest/fight is adjusted to the level the player character will be when they do that map/quest/fight. The idea that you explore a map, and then return to follow up on the content that wasn't doable on the first try, is something for senile old geezers in a nursing home, obviously.
Well if you could right click to monster and see description perhaps with some stats, that would be awesome, you would be able to learn if they are murdering machines without reload.
Now you have lore nature +12 and can't recognize how much more dangerous is direwolf compared to owlbear.

Also ability to run away from combat and change map would be even more awesome. As of now running from combat equals to pressing "load last save button".

Last edited:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Where did all these "muh balance" retards even come from? I've honestly never seen it with a single-player game before. Obviously you have people whining about every game ever made being too hard, but these people specifically talk about the game being "unbalanced" all the time.
Just check Grimoire thread, it was chock-full of them.

What? You should be able to use spells from opposite schools in pathfinder. They just take 2 slots per cast.
Thanks, I'll check it right now. AD&D habits die hard. :negative:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I'm I think at chapter 3 and only bugs I saw - Bokken, Throne room bug ( When you got visitors and you press rest from city square there are some visual bugs) and that pillage/rebuild Elk temple in kingdom manager. ( Plus I ques some feats bugs in chargen)
Add to that the bugs with game mechanics (in combat) that don't work as they should. Stuff like sneak attack damage dice applying to things where it should not or certain bonuses (to AC) stacking where they shouldn't. Most might be minor, certainly not game breaking but they are there.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
SJW stuff in this game is easily avoidable when not using companions. They're wthe worst for yet. once I ditched the NPCs, I didn't have much worry about SJW Nazis whining to me. L0L

Also, I gotta say, Dimension Door is a favorite spell of mine when the game tries to trap you in ambush. *cough* barbarian camp* cough* I saw it as more of a novelty in the IE games 9thoguh fun) but here it has stopped by spellcasters from being pin cushions uneccessarily. L0L

Varatak the Lich (or however you spelled it) was mostly a pushover once buffed. He did 'desintegrate' one of my mages (who I promptly healed l0l). Otherwise, ha. His pathetic raven died in less than a round. Haha.

Gotta love enemies' whose level draining/energy drain/etc. goes through death ward though. :P

Overall, this game is still kickin' azz.

KIngdom management is too tryhard and takes away time for the real fun and meat of the game.

P.S. Marhcing through mountains is beyond torturous.

hell bovine

Arcane
of course that require a carefull plannig and extreme min maxing.

the game at lowest difficulty is a clownfiesta that require almost zero effort.
Frankly this game has massive problem with major fights when it will lock you in a room, and when it spawns enemies behind your back. So it's not about CR, it's about them of not be competent GM.
So you would rather have PoE tank and spank?
At least in this game (on release) enemies sometimes will go beyond your front line and attack casters. I bet you don't like that as well, right?
You need to kite a bit and I bet you are too lazy for that.
WTF? You know you can't get Valerie as evil in early game right? So if you are starting as wizard or sorcerer you experience full line of characters that can't tank during first few combats in "tutorial"
So let's look at second combat after tutorial.
I'm not sure where you got that. Valerie is the lawful option, so you can get her as evil. At Oleg's you can use the traps & tar, and if the wizard had any brains they'd have something like sleep or color spray ready to knock the remaining bandits out. Just like you either knew to pick up sleep* in Baldur's Gate (which PK seems at moments heavily isnpired by), or complained on the forums how mages were useless, and that Tranzig was killing your level one party. What BG indeed did better was the ambush mechanics, since you could run away from them.

*PK wins the easy mode game thanks to sylvan sorcerers, also known as the "please pick your prehistoric murder machine here" option

Jeff Vogel would say that kind of thing is actually for kids https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...expansion-thread.100006/page-200#post-4859720
I actually like his games (avadon & avernum, going for geneforge next), but mostly for the exploration and the setting, because combat kind of falls apart once the party levels up. The tinker class with the turrets was a lot of fun, though, and the corruption was a very interesting concept in an otherwise standard fantasy (that never got anywhere :argh:).

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck

the problem is the first try will prompt a reload.

A more elegant way of allowing the player to dip in a toe without getting their feet wet would be very helpful for non-linear games.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
S81020-193130.jpg

S81020-193214.jpg

knightstemplar.jpg

Kaivokz

Arcane
I'm going to have to pump the difficulty up a bit (playing with everything set to normal and 1x damage). Level 8, in chapter 2. Jaethal and Valerie both have 40+ AC while still chunking out some good damage (just gave Valerie imp. crit for 17-20 on bastard swords, going to move her toward shield mastery with more fighter levels instead of stalwart defender just to ramp up the focus fire a little bit). Tristian + Jaethal give tons of protection from elements. Half-orc guy and elf chick were okay, but now that I've replaced them with some proper bros, everything is melting.

Ekundayo with manyshot + rapid shot + extended hurricane bow/threat range increase + oversized composite longbow from troll lair = everyone he turns toward dies. He crits for upwards of 80 damage an arrow. Ridiculous.

Jubilost is broken because of the way some abilities and spells are coded, unfortunately. Haste + fast bomber = 4 bombs a round... and true strike applies to all of them, not just the first one. I might have to stop myself from using this combo because it's cheese as fuck with the double INT boost on single target infusion and cognatogen.

Once I find Nok-nok, he's going to shred shit with Valerie and Jaethal. Outflank and combo trips? Okay! This might be an unpopular opinion but I actually like that flanking just requires two people attacking the same target. In a turn-based game (or in tabletop, obviously) where you dedicate part of your time to positioning every single turn, more robust flanking rules are good. In isometric RTwP, micromanaging movement for flanking is just tedious and has historically meant I delegate thieves to being a subpar archer unless they're my main character.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

Cell phone and no ad blocker? Are we living in last millennium? Have rumors about Russians not be able to self-educate, and about they just slavishly repeat what they learned at school, true? Remember folks car ads are bad. (Also it kinda hurts Li-Pol battery to go under 70 percent.)

Let's quote site a person who isn't from Asia can understand.
Which brings me to the colossal glaring flaw of the current state of Pathfinder: Kingmaker, and that's the lack of a functional game underneath it all. The lack of polish is the worst I have personally experienced in a game to date.

Early on, the bugs present were of the typical variety expected in a game like this, a few stalled quests, some items that failed to spawn, and some kingdom-management side bugs with duplicated projects. It was rough around the edges but not something that couldn't be quickly patched up.

Further and further in, however, I found myself more and more aggravated with issues that increased in size, scope, and impact. Even after story threats were dealt with, the problems arising from those threats continued to attack my kingdom (for instance, troll raids after the defeat of the troll king early on). One of my companions somehow got hit with a disintegration bug, but it didn't kick in until I visited my capital several hours later, causing him to die on the spot.

More quests would break, including several of the companion quests, my rogue's perception somehow fell to negative 250, dialogue options wouldn't engage, certain projects would somehow now be found in triplicate in the kingdom menus, quest-critical objects failed to spawn, my cleric could now channel positive energy 125 times a day instead of 10, certain areas would freeze my characters at the entrance, my barbarian companion somehow got doubled in the party menu, and one of the game's final major acts failed to close out properly, leaving me unable to finish the game outright.
(rpgsite net)
They gave it 6/10, Greek Assassin Creed got 7, and Shenmue I and II got 8. Steins;Gate 0 and Divinity OS2 got 9.

Looks like fairly honest reviews.

However I learned when a game scores suspiciously low on IGN, it has potential (or it's complete crap). Perhaps we would see Pathfinder enhanced edition (perhaps it would even deserve 8 score), something like witcher got. (But frankly while enhanced edition in witcher meant decent english translation and overal game improvements, enhanced edition in Pthfinder would likely just mean (mostly?) bug free.)

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
So which bugs are the fittest?

:troll:
Randomly killing alchemist at Oleg's.
Unfinishable character quests.
(That carnage of dead bodies that happens in ending. I don't want to spoil so you can experience proper butthurt.) That's what I seen from streamers, I play older less buggy version. (But I heard you can't revert stream version, which is likely something like a bug.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom