Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG with the best story / dialogue

Dodo1610

Arcane
Spellforce 3 has surprisingly good writing.

It's true the writing is really good, probably the best part of the game.
the Skyrim Total Conversion Mod Enderal which is written by the guy who helped writing Spellforce 3

The obvious answers are of course VTMB Bloodlines, Fallout 1, 2 and New Vegas. And

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not a single fucking person has mentioned Underrail yet. It has one of the best stories and settings I've seen in any game I've played, and on top of all that, it has some of the best turn-based combat out there. Buy it now.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
theyre two very different things, do you know that

I'll take shit story with great dialogue any day.

Xulima had a good detailed story but kurwa level dialogue.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
As some people suggested here already: Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura (also I suggest multiverse edition modification for it), Deus Ex, Fallout 1 (obviously), Enderal (modification on skyrim), Nehrim - At Fate´s Edge (modification on oblivion and prequel to Enderal).

Spellforce 3 - suggested by some people is not a really traditional rpg (more like rpg/strategy hybrid), but yeah I liked dialogs and plot.

Last edited:

M. AQVILA

Arcane
I am new to rpgs and only started playing recently. I really like well written stories and dialogue but kind of dislike combat and would prefer to avoid it if possible. I can tolerate quite a fair amount of janky gameplay as long as the story and narrative are good. What are some games I should check out?
So far I've played:
Planescape Torment (LOVED this) (is tides of numenera any good)
Fallout 2,3,4 & New Vegas (New Vegas by far my favourite)
KOTOR 1 & 2 (liked 2 a LOT more)
VTMB (liked this a lot)
Alpha Protocol
The Witcher 2 & 3
EYE Divine Cybermancy

Also I would prefer if they were from 1995 or newer. Thanks.

Dragon Age Origins.

lophiaspis

Arbiter
There are about as many books with good writing as there are games with good writing.

Shouldn't that be, there are as many games with good writing as there are books with good gameplay?

OP,
-Shadowrun: Dragonfall and Shadowrun: HK: The best of the Kickstarter RPGs apart from PF:KM. Writing is good and the gameplay not overwhelming.
-Tyranny: Obsidian's best game, severely underrated for some reason. Don't trust the negative buzz on this one. Far better than the disappointing TToN, PoE and Wasteland 2.
-Quest For Glory series

You may also consider some adventure games. I recommend:
-Curse of Monkey Island
-Leisure Suit Larry 7
-Grim Fandango
-Life is Strange
-The Walking Dead S1
-What Remains of Edith Finch
-I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream

Martyr

Arcane
is Planescape: Torment really that good?
I've started playing it this morning for the first time in my life. so far it's pretty underwhelming.

played 2 hours so far, early impressions:
+ music is good
+ visuals are unique
- I don't really like the use of all these strange words
- human enemies always running away when severely wounded is incredibly annoying
- and people said that Torment: Tides of Numenera was weird for the sake of being weird ... haven't found one remotely normal person in Planescape yet

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
is Planescape: Torment really that good?

:lol:

prepare to be disappointed

Or repulsed, people nowadays don't like loads of angsty teenage worldview getting shoved down their throats because it's edgy and nu.

- I don't really like the use of all these strange words

hoo boy, you'd love Tides of Numenera then. A gazillion years into the future, dirt is apparently called... drit. :lol:

Martyr

Arcane
:lol:

prepare to be disappointed

Or repulsed, people nowadays don't like loads of angsty teenage worldview getting shoved down their throats because it's edgy and nu.

hoo boy, you'd love Tides of Numenera then. A gazillion years into the future, dirt is apparently called... drit. :lol:

I've actually played T:ToN and enjoyed it quite a bit. had more fun in the first 10 minutes of T:ToN than in those 2 hours of P:T :?
Numenera also seemed more normal and down to earth to me. Sigil is just like "how many over the top weird and insane characters can we fit into those tiny map sections??" :mad:

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
I've actually played T:ToN and enjoyed it quite a bit. had more fun in the first 10 minutes of T:ToN than in those 2 hours of P:T :?
Numenera also seemed more normal and down to earth to me. Sigil is just like "how many over the top weird and insane characters can we fit into those tiny map sections??" :mad:

I second the feeling that Numanuma is fun to romp around in. The setting is hopeless though.

Young Avellone really indulged in his hunger for expressing weltschmerz and gloom when writing Planescape stuff. Like, Numanuma hits all kinds of notes, PS:T is doom metal all around, with some goth rock schmaltz thrown in.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
2klhbx.jpg

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Betrayal at Krondor is one the rare games that have good writing. I actually prefer Hallford's prose to that of Feist's which is more juvenile.
And it also has solid game mechanics.

Martyr

Arcane
You are out of your fucking mind.
care to elaborate a bit?
No.
alrighty then.
like I've said: Numenera is more down to earth. you can find people there, who seem normal at first glance and after digging deeper you find out some not so normal stuff about them.
the last person I've encountered in P:T was an insane man who ran into a wall, screaming into a rotting severed ear, while wanting you to find his lost fork :retarded:

Deleted Member 22431

ITT People saying that T:ToN is better than PS:T. This should be a bannable offense.

Martyr

Arcane
ITT People saying that T:ToN is better than PS:T. This should be a bannable offense.
nah, I've said that the entirety of T:ToN was better than the first 2 hours of P:T. maybe I'll change my mind after finishing P:T, we'll see. but my first impressions of P:T aren't that positive.

Deleted Member 22431

nah, I've said that the entirety of T:ToN was better than the first 2 hours of P:T. maybe I'll change my mind after finishing P:T, we'll see. but my first impressions of P:T aren't that positive.

T:ToN has walls of turgid prose, uninspired mediocre characters, almost no fights (the combat system sucks, anyways), bad itemization, and bad exploration.

PS:T has great writing, memorable characters, lots of fights that add pacing (the combat system is solid, but poorly implemented), okayish itemization, good exploration.

Martyr

Arcane
PS:T has great writing, memorable characters, lots of fights that add pacing (the combat system is solid, but poorly implemented), okayish itemization, good exploration.

we'll talk about that after I've played through P:T.
but I guess the fighting won't change that much and all I can say about that is: just awful. imo T:ToN had a better combat system.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom