Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Waylanders - historical fantasy time travel RPG inspired by Dragon Age: Origins

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
sized-soviet-anti-drinking-posters-0.jpg

Shin

Cipher
inb4 we see Kickstarters for a game inspired by Sword Coast Legends or BT4.

is 'inspired by dragon age' just an euphemism for saying there'll be a lot of sweaty hot gay sex?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/432712414/the-waylanders-the-rpg-videogame/posts/2317069

1000 backers, Emma Ríos & races

We have reached 1000 backers! Thank you very much to all of you!

In this first update, we want to extend the info of one special and limited reward: the $225 tier called Mourian Soul River Edition, which includes a limited-edition illustration by Emma Rios. Now, you probably have 2 questions: Who's Emma Ríos? And what is a mourian? Let's get by parts.

5c4400cbe4099f7ab188acf7477ac681_original.png

Emma is one of the most talented artists in Spain, and she's a very close friend of the studio. We are happy to announce that she will draw an illustration based on The Waylanders universe in her own style. It's a limited edition of 200 units, printed in high-quality A3-size, numbered and signed by Emma. A valuable artistic work, only available for our Kickstarter backers!

b89870149d11d930e0657de3272de2be_original.png

5b3b13fa277e98ba055b26e1cbcc9fe6_original.png

The ancient and magical race known as Mourians lives in the Otherworld-- they use portals and mystic labyrinths to interact with or even enter our human world. Their bones and eyes are made of a sort of gold, so they have huge reserves of that precious metal.

7420207f20bc7084b828db93c17b6ac0_original.png

If you do business with a Mourian, they'll always pay extra for whatever you sell-- often offering a massive quantity of gold for a simple piece of good food. But, never try to cheat them... if you do, their gold will change to coal... forever.

4cb214c61b081560549940b5f6e13f02_original.png

63aab80bcfb2b848f85c8b072d9a801b_original.jpg

Some backers asked us how to include add ons and it's easy: if you want any add on, you have to add the price to the reward you've selected. Let's see with an example:

Chris wants to select the $225 reward to get the signed illustration by Emma Ríos. But he wants to get the 120mm miniature too! He needs to select the $225 reward and add the miniature price. This means $225 + $75 = $300

Like this:

6cf36e55258b3ad674069d3d6b4e3bc4_original.png

We'll add this explanation to the FAQs section. Anyway, if you have any question about rewards, tell us and we'll try to help you.

Thanks again for your amazing support!

The Gato Studio Team

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Hey Infinitron, if this is true, don't you think you ought to mention it in your news thread?
Since it's RTwP I'm automatically not interested but even if I was, I'd be very wary considering the developer. Gato Salvajes previously Kickstarted a point & click adventure game "AR-K" over 5 years ago… And just announced that the final 4th episode of AR-K will supposedly be released in February 2019 (as well as sending physical copies) after absolutely no communication for 3 years.

So assuming they actually release part 4 in February they will several years beyond the estimated release date (which wouldn't necessarily be a big problem if the game was any good), but Steam reviewers certainly didn't praise the game… The studio has done nothing to indicate they're capable of creating a decent game of any genre, let alone a CRPG spiritual successor of DA:O, BG2, etc. Also, they never released a DRM-free copy of AR-K which was promised to backers.

Their only other released game is Bullshot which seems to be a Contra-like shooter.

Even if this was my dream game I wouldn't trust this developer with my money considering how they handled their last Kickstarter. It boggles my mind that a developer can run a Kickstarter so terribly and then think they'll do another crowdfunding project, when they're still years behind on the first one… Sadly they might succeed because they hired an ex-Bioware guy. I've no idea how they even managed to hire a new creative director... I guess either the shooter must be selling well or Laidlaw was really desperate for work.

Dodo1610

Arcane
inb4 we see Kickstarters for a game inspired by Sword Coast Legends or BT4.

is 'inspired by dragon age' just an euphemism for saying there'll be a lot of sweaty hot gay sex?

Why do people associate DAO with gay sex? The game only had one potential gay character and he can be killed before he can even say a word (the game even encourages you to do so). It was DA2 which went overboard with it's forced gay romances.

Modron

Arcane
Because DAO was the start of that phase where every npc started throwing themselves at you, I've said it before but that period of biowarian design was like you were in Shawshank and needed a baseball bat to fend of the bull queers because all it really took for you to start pounding the butt was one misclick.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Because DAO was the start of that phase where every npc started throwing themselves at you, I've said it before but that period of biowarian design was like you were in Shawshank and needed a baseball bat to fend of the bull queers because all it really took for you to start pounding the butt was one misclick.

That doesn't happen in DAO since the only gay character is the elf assassin and starting romances in DAO took at least some effort to get the necessary approval points.

I for one am looking forward to the game from one of the masterminds behind Bioware's decent into rubbish fanfiction romances and "character-driven" DLC.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/432712414/the-waylanders-the-rpg-videogame/posts/2320488

Emily Grace Buck, story & feedback

Second update. And second time to say thank you. Thank you for your support in all ways!

Today we want to talk about our first stretch goal, and one of the most talented scriptwriters in videogame industry: Emily Grace Buck.

9d8aa124f61a91a20d7223970a7df13b_original.png

If we reach $200.000, Emily will actively collaborate in The Waylanders script!
She worked in Telltale Games until the sad new about the closure of the company, writing interesting plots for Batman: The Telltale Series, Batman: The Enemy Within, Guardians of the Galaxy and The Walking Dead: The Final Season.

Now she is seeking new horizons to show her talent to the rest of the world. And we are really happy to say that she is interested in collaborate with us to make a great story to tell!

We recommend you to follow her on Twitter: @emilybuckshot

First approach to the Waylanders main plot
Some backers requested us details about the story. And who’s better to talk about this than Mike Laidlaw? In case you missed this video from PC Gamer, you can take a look and know more about The Waylanders:

Anyway, we’ll unveil more details of the story in the next updates. But don’t worry, we won’t spoil the best surprises and the plot twists. We let you that pleasure for when you play the game ;)

We need your feedback
We are working to bring you the content you are interested in. What do you want to read in the next update?
  • New race: werewolves
  • More details about the story
  • Info about any rewards
  • Combat formations: why are they such amazing?
Vote in the comments. We want to adapt our updates to the main interests of our backers.

And don't forget to follow us on Steam to unlock this amazing location! We'll publish more info about Finisterre soon:

We’ll include Finisterre in the game for FREE if we reach 3000 followers on our Steam page. Share this social stretch goal with friends to reach it quick!

See you in the next update. Stay tuned!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
These guys got a PC Gamer blurb and Realms Beyond didn't, for shame https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/432712414/the-waylanders-the-rpg-videogame/posts/2321328

Werewolves, PC Gamer and... Kickstarter streaming!

59146631459b4a25bcd4888a69beb3a1_original.png

Werewolves are direct descendants of the Celtic deity Lug— a member of the Tuatha de Danaan who assumed wolf form and fathered many half-breed children.

65803ac9f0f51f8a5c6f2e5143737020_original.png

Early werewolves look almost entirely human, much like their godly father. But as the generations passed, they became less human and more wolf-like.

426270317f8d7c4cb42f438a7049ff56_original.png

In the Celtic era, werewolves live as nomads, hunting and selling meat and leather goods throughout the world. Their superior tracking skills allow them to live a life of decadence, and few ever leave the luxury and security of their pack. Werewolf packs have a strict, hierarchal alpha-omega structure, complete with actual wolves who patrol their borders.

aec73089b3ffd78b8a9bd3e8205b011c_original.png

Though the werewolves don’t hold much political sway, they believe in a prophecy that they’ll one day breed the two greatest leaders of the most powerful army the world has ever seen.

45b02a657284b6c501617a53f897205b_original.png

If you choose the werewolf origin, you will play as an alpha wolf who works as a supply officer for a powerful trading pack! Your mission to visit the Tuatha de Danaan brings a personal touch- the hope that you may meet your ancestor, Lug.

e224fec466b229c672e5caeca2529733_original.png

c750316040189521f0369d50d1c9fc2f_original.png

bea92c630ae0e3569b2ee0a6aa606fa8_original.png

By the Medieval era, after generations of inbreeding, nearly all werewolves appear mostly lupine- they walk on four legs, they’re much larger, and they predominantly display the cleverness and predatory cunning of wolves instead of the rationalism and empathy of humans. They’re a formidable force in the Medieval world, and when you visit this era, they may be surprised to meet one of their own who appears so human!

7d0b6f81edf4a52ee06f91ba5d5eb4bd_original.png

Kicktarter live stream!
Surprise! This Thursday will be an important date for us: we'll be on Kickstarter Live! And we'll show you real-time gameplay from The Waylanders' pre-alpha demo.

You have lots of reasons to watch it live: our game director and one person from the art department will play The Waylanders pre-alpha, and they'll answer your questions. So, we invite you to watch it and enjoy the gameplay session!

WHERE?

Kickstarter Live

WHEN?

Day: Thursday, October 25

Hour: 7pm CEST (Madrid)

Which means:

• 6pm BST (London)
  • 1pm EDT (New York)
  • 10am PDT (Los Angeles)
Are you from a different place and need help? We recommend you this Time Zone Calculator.

'Dragon Age-ish RPG The Waylanders has hit Kickstarter'
That's what PC Gamer said today in his new post about The Waylanders! Good news to close this update :D

lol whoops accidental stream:

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
These guys got a PC Gamer blurb and Realms Beyond didn't

lol whoops accidental stream:

Yeah, these guys are probably knocking on all doors for exposure. However, seeing that ingame stream gave me only bad DA flashbacks, might need to withdraw my pledge.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
Yeah, these guys are probably knocking on all doors for exposure.

They have at least one PR company:

This project is promoted by Jellop, the ad tech power behind the best Kickstarters with 500+ successful Kickstarter projects with over $250MM raised between them.

Our proprietary analytics software is the main reason we’re able to produce exceptional returns on ad spend at high volumes of traffic.

The brainchild of Princeton PhDs and veteran PPC professionals, our software reads data from Facebook, Google and Kickstarter and cross-references it to analyze performance in real time. It then outputs live, statistics-backed data for precise targeting, budget allocation, message optimization and projected returns for different spending levels.

On the front end of our software is our live analytics dashboard providing complete transparency. It allows creators to closely track their project’s key metrics - pledges, backers, ad spend, fees and returns - and make fully informed decisions about their campaign.

ROI & Volume
Combining our proprietary analytics software with our extensive Kickstarter expertise allows us to generate unparalleled returns at high volumes. Every dollar spent on advertising usually results in $3 to $10 in pledges, even with budgets of tens of thousands of dollars over 3 weeks.

Full Control
While we help with estimates and recommendations on daily ad budget, the creator has the final say on any budget decision. With the help of our analytics dashboard’s display of real-time ad performance, creators can make informed budget decisions. The higher the returns and margins on rewards and the more aggressive they play, the higher budgets and traffic volumes rise.

Risk Free
We only charge a percentage of the revenues directly attributable to our efforts. There are no upfront, setup or hidden fees of any kind. Plus, our service can be ended via email notification at any time, so creators risk nothing whatsoever.

daveyd

Savant
Hey Infinitron, if this is true, don't you think you ought to mention it in your news thread?

I asked Gato about their extreme delay with the final episode of AR-K and lack of communication and people can trust that there won't be similar issues with Waylanders. Their response:

Gato Savaljes said:
AR-K was our first game, and you are right that the delivery is far from our early estimates. In video gaming is very important to survive your first project. We have had hard times during AR-K´s production, but we have learned, and we got to stand up again and design a new and far better game.

We will send every reward. It is a game we love, and that is the reason why we are going to upgrade the first two episodes with the engine of the 3rd and 4th and offer the backers the whole pack. We are not going to earn more with that decision, but we believe that is something we owe to the people that first supported us.

It can be hard, we can make mistakes, but we learn from them and, in the end, we deliver.

So basically their excuse for the delay of delivering a relatively simple (and short) point & click adventure game is that they had a hard time financially. I'd really like to know where they even got the money to start production of Waylanders, including hiring Laidlaw and other "more experienced" staff. Presumably they found private investors but what kind of a moron would invest in a studio that has only released 3/4 of an adventure game with mixed reviews and a shooter / platformer? I can't imagine either of them is selling very well (and Bullshot is only $1). Maybe the studio is a front for a drug cartel?

Also note this doesn't excuse their lack of KS updates for 3 years.

Again even if you like RTwP and the pitch I strongly advise not backing this game. They're only asking for $50K more than than asked / received for AR-K to develop a game an exponentially more complicated game. If they get it they'll burn through that money by the end of the year.

Last edited:

kolakosky

Arcane
Developer
New update!

Live streaming, weapons, armors, board game and more!
Today we want to show you some special content: weapons, armors and the board game! But first of all... we need your feedback!

Live Streaming
The first live streaming was a success. Thank you very much to all of you who watched it and make questions about The Waylanders. In case you missed it, you can watch here:

We need your feedback!
Did you like the live streaming? Do you want to view more live contents? Write in the comments section or send us a message. Your opinion is really important for us!

0e6ef34b6afb074f38b247c4639a437c_original.png

Some backers are asking about for the armors and weapons included in +$80 reward tiers. And we want to show you the designs!

5ee04e869dab8ad9388758a744f2e84f_original.png

As you can see, you’ll get three special and different weapons:

*Do you want to know who are the Fomorians? Stay tuned and read the upcoming updates!

cdf4afb9f19d786c501a367caf45ba81_original.png

“Wait a moment… you said 3 armors. Why are there 6?”

Surprise! Each armor will have two different designs, depending on the gender of the character. So, you will have six different & exclusive armors!

• 2x heavy armors
  • 2x medium armors
  • 2x light armors
Remember: these weapons and armors are available for the backers who pledge of $80 or more. You won’t find any other armor with this styles in The Waylanders. Hope you like the special designs!

ADD-ON: the board game
c28396973a0d1dc1537959c2e76b6654_original.png

Some backers are also asking about one of our most interesting add-ons: the board game. The board game is inspired in the same universe of the video game. The board game was previously funded on Kickstarter by our friends from Eclipse Editorial, but in case you missed it, you can get it as an add-on now!

Here you can watch the extended video of the board game campaign:

And you can get an exclusive miniature, only for Kickstarter backers!

4767ade3b896d76eface2e3dde186814_original.png

More images about the board game:

8e1964992d049aa56c1bc5ba5080c3a7_original.png

4fdeeab9c35f07509d098fe1df30691c_original.png

ebd3ebc1fe08a05fa69a996ac9e789c4_original.png

fef711d5de3153b9f351e56076fb4fe7_original.png

Do you want to play? Just add $75 to your pledge. We can assure you it’s one of the most enjoyable tabletop games you have ever played!

Do you need help to select add ons? Just read our FAQ section.

kolakosky

Arcane
Developer
Some news! By the way is there any particular interested you would like to know in the next updates? Let us know :)

Update n° 8

29 de oct de 2018

BIG UPDATE: Fomorians, new streaming and... Level up your rewards!

4e7c5976751ff441c218b50d06ff9217_original.png

The Fomorians are the original immortal inhabitants of Ireland. After a long, bloody war with the Tuatha de Danaan, they were exiled to a small part of the Mourian Otherworld. Most humans immediately find them sinister-- Fomorians are giants compared to all others, and their exile has forced them to subsist by turning to cannibalism. Their king, the largest of the giants, has the ability to regenerate, so they feed on him in order to survive.

e33d04c209fd9f6a888aa87929048ba8_original.png

Fomorians are big... REALLY BIG
Despite these horrors, the Fomorians are a deeply honorable people, and they've accepted their defeat as their destiny.

16f9dbae85f6278018ff443a3d26ff02_original.png

Half-Formorians are the descendants of both the Fomorians and the Tuatha. They are the tallest character race that you can play in The Waylanders.

If you play as a Half-Fomorian, your character will have grown up a second class citizen in the Mourian underground, with little knowledge of the outside world. You'll look human enough to most people... though perhaps incredibly tall and a bit odd. As a vassal of the Mourians, you're their gun-for-hire mercenary who has fought on their side in various conflicts throughout time. You arrive in Ireland as a bodyguard, but also as a warning-- that the Mourians remember what the Tuatha did to the Fomorians.

fde429b6ad98cc768b49081d24287925_original.png

An example of Half-Fomorian
By the middle ages, the Fomorians have overtaken their Mourian jailers and now rule the Otherworld. When humans peek through the old, decrepit Mourian doors, all they can see are monstrous figures surrounded by endless fire.

e2fb6f99b3d28b091a6d1bbd377d7def_original.png

LEVEL UP YOUR REWARDS!
We’re almost at the middle of our Kickstarter campaign, and we need YOUR help to spread the word!

If every backer like you referred just one new person to the campaign, we could make our goal. So....

For each new backer you refer who ends up contributing to the Kickstarter, you’ll receive a reward of $30 credit! Yes, those rewards stack!

d959e1c111276becbdab5c20bcd23095_original.png

You can use all your reward credit in the pledge manager at the end of the campaign to get cool add-ons or even upgrade your reward tier.

JOIN THE REFERRAL PROGRAM AND CHECK OUT THE CONDITIONS HERE:

http://thewaylanders.com/kickstarter

Help us share the campaign to get new backers!

NEW LIVE STREAMING!
bb7d8f8aadbf41765f868a3ff81ea765_original.png

The first live streaming was great! We had a lot of viewers, interesting questions… It was a good way to connect with all of you. And we want to repeat. This Wednesday, October 31st... we'll be on Youtube Live again!

We’ll show new content, and you can also make questions about the referral program.

Hope you like the good content about races, the referral program and the new live streaming!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/432712414/the-waylanders-the-rpg-videogame/posts/2331102

Live streaming and... basic classes!

Remember! Today we'll be LIVE on Youtube again! We'll discuss new content, game mechanics, your questions about the referral system...

We'll be live in around one hour. Check out different time zones here:

bb7d8f8aadbf41765f868a3ff81ea765_original.png

You can watch the live streaming here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/GatoSalvajeStudio/live

We invite you to make questions and give some feedback. We appreciate your opinion.

But this update includes another interesting content. A lot of backers have been waiting for more info on the basic classes available in The Waylanders. And here we go!

63f44a5005c040b59b82f986b566f395_original.png

There are many ways to face combat in any RPG: swords, magic, subterfuge... When you customize your character in The Waylanders, you can select between 6 classes, which are called basic classes. We’ll describe each of them, grouped into three types.

FIGHTERS
War is never as difficult as at the front line. Those who throw themselves into battle, covered with reinforced armors and carrying swords, axes, hammers and spears are called fighters. With their courage, and their experience in close combat, fighters can keep your allies safe and inflict high damage to any enemies around them.

There are two fighter’s basic classes: warriors and guardians

4206a90b4e9a53bc30157d1ebf93bf11_original.png

Warriors are specialists in slaughtering their opponents. With their superior close-range combat, they are able to carry two weapons at the same time. Their great strength allows them to even grab their rivals and throw them away from the battle.

Warrior features: dual wielding, heavy weapons, short range, melee fight

e0b08d6c43f788ebd3e7acb3b4800b68_original.png

Unlike the ferocious and impetuous warriors, the guardians have learned to keep their minds cool, even in the heat of battle. They can get the attention of their enemies, stop their attacks with their resistant shields, and pave the way for their allies to finish their opponents.

Guardian features: shield, head to head, mass combat, control

PATHFINDERS
War with swords and axes is the way for those who can withstand the pain of enemy blows, but ... why should things get that far? Pathfinders prefer to end the battle before it begins, using tricks, ranged attacks or deadly techniques.

There are two basic classes within pathfinders: rogues and explorers

95d486d233dc6a1217ded8f82cd09492_original.png

Although the rogues have to be even closer than any fighter to finish their opponents, this does not imply that they have to be equally exposed. Their great mobility and ability to create distractions allow these pathfinders to shrink their enemies, until they can finish them with an accurate stab.

Rogue features: daggers, temporary damage, mobility, elusion, lethal execution

2f8a3be3b1e03b7908af2052d3ed9d89_original.png

Unlike rogues, rangers like to keep a long distance. They usually carry long range weapons, like bows, and they have even tamed wild beasts to help them in combat. Their combat style allows them to aim and shoot with great accuracy, hitting weak points on their rivals.

Ranger features: long range weapons, pets, critical damage

SAGES
Weapon-based combat has been the main engine of the war, but any army knows that the slightest bit of magic can change the course of battle. Whether to heal wounds, or to open one on the enemy, the powers of the sages have an invaluable usefulness in battle.

There are two basic classes: sorcerers and healers

1a8221fd98f6f793accb5780e6642d36_original.png

The arcane powers can be manipulated, expanded, concentrated ... and used as one of the most lethal weapons. Sorcerers can release large amounts of energy in focused areas, wreaking havoc among their enemies. Their powers are such that they can even deform reality itself to teleport themselves, and keep attacking their enemies from a safe distance.

Sorcerer features: damage oriented, area attack

902261df169c955c740b39f862091d9b_original.png

According to Celtic beliefs, all magic comes from nature and its constant change. Healers have managed to internalize the knowledge of the earth, summoning the help of the flora and fauna in the battle. This way they can heal the wounds of their allies, and hinder their enemies in combat.

Healer features: healing and protection, buffs, debuffs

Maybe you are wondering ... What are the other 30 classes that are mentioned in The Waylanders main features? Each of them are evolutions of the previous classes. In particular, each basic class has 5 evolutions….

...but that's material for another update! ;)

kolakosky

Arcane
Developer
Hey, Life of the Party or any mod, could you please place this infos about the project in the first post,

1000 tons of thanks in advance :)

Waylanders is now live at KS, check Kickstarter page for full info:!

Q3FTL_05yVe24tun52_NyEEpFGjjCMmIgjBvWNVB8g-aIGFRs0mcmEZmcFXqwjjWKEKXIyozInCLJ0n9iOpF-C5n0VPE4kRGDNlot4E6MwohSt6UiDGqNjCd-cNPGAPeHx8wPAq_

EnPcxHpmMsiU-TotG8X9WIZyHZJtrtvw7Hs-FjVTEPyfYF_A4MoLCKpQkpH7tuAiRratsC58-82LXiWDIjYfR7T9yfIfjv5PLMSr0tNIIUrkaCcQzZCoo_eDDBhvoIJ4eKjPj9-l

The Waylanders is a party-based RPG inspired by beloved classics such as Dragon Age: Origins, Neverwinter Nights 2 or Baldur's Gate. Featuring innovative and tactical combat system, The Waylanders brings the legends of the Celtic cultures to life.

UPgLOS1Xwst7JODuXF8DYtqzpJAhKBf_OizEVjnp0f0SuHk-pNn6L0MRPIhkwDITF1suFWqXHlHwIW3hoYzTreXOK6WE8p2J_suz-Z4-bgO3EYN4ibp4p_tpdcFfKSlvG-p2HAcr

With 6 main classes, 30 advanced classes, and over 800 skills, you have many ways to create your hero. And the top-tier scriptwriters will let you experience an adventure never told in a video game before.

au2dbnYQiQwLbZd0brEgtYRB9Btxdjd3189Ac_q74YNhz2jTRA2ub1mAM55RtzDLvJbMrHSCi4dWpf_L7Z8lDPLdeb2IB2I1gSnCcv_8xxMrWIjUGooHV9QNqqv3CLTP5sgLviZQ

BScABUnX04Rk_Zf3GJcCGPqZvxaMYUuUhaA8eOxLPV_bN93XakU_fmLLRVhKpnA_qEzgJLMDtnF-o4h6dld9aH3g88FKfsm9sUZmAkNJOq7iZ7JZbUFUQVzKZiSRpVKXx401qaMg

In The Waylanders, you’ll lead a party of 5 characters, utilizing over 800 different skills to overcome challenges and defeat your enemies.

GUwi26SSCPpc0qjuqlXUMg1Ps2nbQUqXH-h6XidsdA6Udgi0tBMoplu4vPFoAGaFsCdpxrkOl6jqRZ0FR8eYCrdSJ6VNhXhHs4heRhhRhpOL5kuaGc3-T9CYQJ-RLT9E3vROHlk1

6ru2L2iQ5jZoKmGKeQH3gTwnYAH_WUtEm3xxCvP-lLvmTgWD9qHS7xiAl34taTkyaPgtzCOzrZTyKEupPnQlAK1dg0jZmyrjpbMU4zPp39cnviOpjeV-WBCWJL-3WpdAAlaxZyKT

You can also combine formations and special abilities to plan powerful strategies!

pdvPEotGT1aTOGpNOcgZVkp_ZavIXz0X0Dnf_zfhW3vrvWPdfSiwI7FBUyCvGjfrezcBd8JvC4SrfqILFi24jEbcriAR1Hn7tTQhRPCwRiUMy9cv96_AoVn3PlGQ-_0HEupX81Uq

bSsx9EJUigAAHfPXxkGoLTd0Lz0SisDgTR8hYTo84MvBEXkOhd90WfWbDIGbwxNr_p1GLRHt2Vr_gdkTPjyFYpEtoMMxFv4IJvoftEEL01B6TiYUdzWZtnRGRDX0PVvwI30UkFZ3

bGqGOyu4pwrENRmgg6l3f4IYxgvLb5USrSuzf1WTQ3hS3L2HxpzT8rTxmNyRbHRw9k1wyKaoee_S91VM6zLM2ETw7yH9ExHwEBlUU9mdksYYk0ULKOQsbrxBxBLx0MYQ4ohypDaB

One of The Waylanders’ most innovative features are formations.  Formations allow you to use your party as a team, and fight with a strategic depth never seen in an RPG. Each class will have different formations to build, and each formation will have special abilities to use.

ZDyqAS0cmajqPgldgEY9uL8R4ais-pxot8yyfPdHE63XdU4B7AjM4lQZ6RAhYVFkVntZQtuxS_87Zl-9l9SNCfD-XQrbRuMzobTUONbc7NmCQBPZNApPkGf7CQIRUE6wpYwHYHHQ

yhywIfTngvosOPnX7RcXZ3mGRzUVa9qm_H7nk4w2nNma8Y4LLPA4qNCtl1A4gfBy2OrvW0AOpcnMCObgJQsARu0hvnimt0q9LJcv-2xSAqKo3SJveIFdCG11Ku5rFPtt7MiSqOHw

pCh65TxtHiNWrTBdpM_VpPKSahZyIJEeZpLEk99YEHzDf8OiUsZLDIq2tH0qKoyXgzIUI9V_4s8nAbcDkNGDRq0Pxhkqws282E6ZGlnqsSvD3RjxlA0TWSgD25wWTlfNlLFPc3c_

Surrounded by enemies? Use a defensive formation like the orb

Z9N7vVyzIzP9bBRWt6HOQnEuYyVbhr4e9P3FDyW5ilwrRa7_QMBDNGwhoJpVNY2pkO7GX8jghyi5JcnEAF7qCXhu_ot4ZVWka95UlZ63-lUwe6SxSGLm_WiT3u6LGDsvBLZDbOtS

voFlqlf-QF5xso_XKjTwtyWiUygoey2eM5SkxXn10fEn347V4ccpU6binTZs7QJyo4Amn-IB2EzO-ntf2jVPpdL7bWceoq6oukbm4KWotzgh_XRaaG8UaYSMud9HIiyMZ52ERxRw

Some enemies at different distances? Break their defense charging forward with the arrow formation

Z8BqMHUnI_iIAKkPbW05yhTe_MNbbXHu7dP9f5lgboOjQ73WO8J8HOJUNNVNmFHSW0kduIrYJKe9ppG0Pmblj7NIBI_4bFKMxRobq6bnp6jhGbQEoutMyE_uD6amtwVC0HRnEGCN

KlyPBVQh_TiU9caSkGsaUcQMMRe0RbVvLDwSMb0aFUjQxVXDVz2KBLjxBEq-_g2xX2J6DBdEwkLbhH2_3AXlR8Qv1mkXRqhvUzjYIbUEgePx07iJn-CSME85YXHBmYrgsi2j9kIb

Enemies blocking your way? Push and advance with the phallanx formation

IN4fVHEd9hmjLhxGfnpxSW4UKMO99-H-T8XiR_bJCqh0mMHU7Z37JlO6ymz9OlssjBtYuE7TAaY-hZs19co7SVKSQQHZWXU6krxne31QgaB3DUHTHQvSmvEj_R961-Y3Hl342iVj

Some situations requires a tactical camera, but others are better with a more immersive view. That's the reason why The Waylanders allows you to use two different camera views: isometric and third-person. Take a look to the differences between isometric and third-person view:

6p7vzIZWuZ_lNgMGjb6GbDL0BrsacYtTmctyvRFGGN1CSGvOBsPBOYYBPZL2Ej32IeMeJa91sNYXORoyl2iMm2Q39pXZXckQQSzB0IjHW36MAS-GWwrUcN3SPpffoAkxm639yPWo

iwXe5VNcEAbZ5sme8AE978OuSpxhhZjJCM7ASckA-SIdCTt9O_VcL5us3EY7o3b0kjS19ySzAepsLvHRcnzdArMhPVrwRkxia-SrkN3pJFvjM7eq9R_Yk_ro_XM-923WU_CRpEJp

The isometric camera gives you a strategic view of the battle

4riysH_pUlhAIx0lrZL3dP6_Qu1Edgzx-Zkk3v84zqFsmLG3jOwlwj4KolXOx8jQBBunk2Cw8FrAnv16USQOHsX4Ve9Wf249VsvP4p7g6kzqdtJ5yP11ltK3qarfVsAqt7ZV7uuM

Third-person camera is perfect for a more immersive experience

Also, you can plan your strategy with tactical pause. Manage your team without being hurt!

7Z7v3m7_LIhSABquQCFzbz4GWL-nxGgUTFhcrfFk5MEWldJMtLG5mpGZyY8TmKBXA6HiQA18L6cSB7WOGSRWYAisX-av2OsMjjsENBt16fTJYflUjMaiErwUDhDOV-Fok3-xhFfM

4j80Nx2uHwDj9HIBp3iWTfzXaVvxJTC3K5C5XjIJYpi12RusPYFMt9NU-EIJPNT2qfdN8NM0efTf646-CT_pG1kDwxpO7TK-aypwjGSPWA6b8MSBlj_qkkisSrRQrnT6gXxoSr5P

1mQgK9Kurg-65QjBiyC5IFnH599WYAeEfWUq6K92fr2QjcI-R0pa72-PzjoUpj0-7akX0RBtDA3pZg2gbPOU3sOxOS9dIeLZ47XdNiR9Ioav-xEq90uAr8ZKqOqK1rMOXvna46sz

The Waylanders includes more than 800 skills, 6 basic classes and 30 advanced classes. This can only be possible thanks to The Waylanders’ motion capture process, powered by Xsens technology, which is nothing short of epic:
  • Tons of animations captured by Ton Puey, Master in Historical European Swordsmanship
  • Animation is core to the title, and used to help drive the story and the world
  • More than 800 skills, 6 main classes, and 30 advanced classes
  • Unique animation sets for Celtic and Medieval characters and companions
  • More than 220 hours of motion capture with 15 different types of weapons
With all this variety, The Waylanders gives you one of the widest range of attacks and animations of any indie RPG, ever!

You can watch a preview on this video:

eHY63c_TxrbjX8M4j-SxndhHvSE78l1SKVg-L536geRVdM5_ayM0k4dE4NIDEL4ClTTwwK2WKlufZh50tgrqO-dS7b8CACO3mZYObiXU0-Had2BJv9KDCsUbqQFv5JlaxGarAU4e

The Waylanders universe is based on the Celtic and Medieval eras... and allows you totravel between them!

M5ULhsBcJURe3ytYWbepI3dai6XFCaLt-YtoxLeUjrn5qqA_96kzJEAi5c_BlPgrk42xgAON0QQ5CgsU5ofzIP7MnlRngxg_fEoT0_UPE8ao4hcAUqkaZpSOoUuI8nVPzbLv7Mkm

The locations change a lot depending on which period you are in. In The Waylanders, the scenario doesn't only change 'where you are'. You'll also have to consider 'when you are'.

Locations are inspired by real world locales in Galicia (a region in the Northwest of Spain) and Ireland, two of the main territories that have been influenced by the Celtic mythology.

E1xrAgvevuEA6tWEwfJG_RnKHmFFebzNU3c4oSOtccs5Alpt4vzCbyOhoHD27f4Vruytz7TgXKCnIOj3zxhY30f9jSben8xtJjxKZAn3vlR0FiwjmmfAhobsrkPA52PuTJ8vNlPb

As part of the differences between the Celtic and the Medieval eras, there are two different maps:

1k1V_aSMaaNt61YIaNSqKIWLIQ8IvAmiT8s_9GYfYEN0zmujA412_iWJhi3Nj9TyK2SP8SirfUULpl-3RavnYKD-5u_otNHtd2l7F3UqY-6VYi7414sHPnFXnQaDP83llv1uXTo5

BKiQCFe1bXCXt4lGOC6sHoUnJVKCdyURmHdOsinx73u6kq7V4u4fY4Zv905biaXgidOR0Bu_EG1L070EbMiBUu7r11LXf2xflnA_dg8J9VD39UxRdB0Kfmz2GKeVxwcbGYN87uxL

MbBZhpRepAqcxNAV4uZ8C8scPrIXXZEA13DlhP0QwJyj-0KfK3tmYs2ZOxAqcccFiVcLRrcLFl4m95sJxrVkAieluOVQwqRvb6BUa1ZsCPfaUpTrPcjAxgWLkCuNb5rR2Nhbyl0o

Each area in the game is constructed in incredible detail. Here is a sample of a few of the locations you can visit:

6FAH17H4FTlwa-LlZ5JYrMiHX9l0PN4fubL26G9JZCq7t4fsgE6U5vOsReDK7xz96uURzliE-kZTMepX-CaVbH9x5SoB9y3gHgKWWNS0pA77XGcjZw-Dp3uyWKOoV3QzC2YKEtvb

BvGUAUE_KfyOToYegH0tuDlnO_CAo3rclceMoXDWUwjEsbLgyCfhFneZXSathHHaE8XBX10MsE3L_Rpzm05Z2nEMMKsSLMjVKYnTUSeij5d6BN2ufPmsVV_5qngon0OGCvW-VBKk

Z38czyjecQCyvmNMaEsKEsVGUVj2UUrgxCykuVNFE4lyE1A3wve3HNNgBSEymS30gmCpeszhhwNiw7zaE2QAuM3wXjBzazYJ5KP6GM1VWVSPSr7eL9UDZkZPdNoyoGLerllAogta

...and some renowned collaborators, some yet to be announced:

uYzXgB1GH1ZIm45W_U0v681YIOY5V0fYCWtHSN8JIEaQUvbfvDo9c-NlkLBvedG3zeE1OSjFsTYu5Txvyze1MLAKaTxIHyiEV6QJXBGa1JMeCz9125r-NdN4XXdefj1RVCyur6jC

xN5B-_-QopTZ4KKFOQ59OpMKcKfRNjerFVR2eNNUbg3xUivbuhehG2cPvWqI8njLkJtgP03GHrG8a4XVWOsXWN_09_4yovwXqUim2K1rQ7-u3U0e8trbNmTJjAKBjsz9cDZfwGe8

We have been working on The Waylanders since 2016, and the game began its pre-production phase in September 2017. We have funds to develop the game already, but our hope is that with your support, we can craft an even better game.

FAQS:
  • GOG.com / DRM-Free version?
    We depend of its approval, so we can't announce officially. But we expect to release the game on DRM-free stores like GOG
  • Is this RPG related with The Waylanders boardgame campaign that was release on KS?
    Yes, In fact you can get the boardgame on this video-game campaign as an add-on.
Check Kickstarter page for full info:

Last edited by a moderator:

kolakosky

Arcane
Developer
New update!

The Waylanders: STORY PREVIEW!

We think this is one of the most interesting and important updates. We'll show you a story preview! Written by top notch RPG scripwriters, we can guarantee you'll enjoy a great and epic tale during the hours you'll be playing The Waylanders. Keep reading!

25e0896859038bb478e19d571f715a04_original.png

The Celtic Brigantians are on their way to create an unprecedented alliance with the god-like Tuatha de Danaan- the supernatural rulers of the Isle of Ireland. King Ith and his son, the Prince, are hopeful that this will bring a new era of peace to Europe. You’re along on his expedition as either a diplomat, protector, or mercenary depending on your origin.

cadd05201d9b04dc09e82da274c3a1cc_original.png

But, tragedy strikes as the negotiations erupt into chaos. Everyone’s lives are in peril- including yours!

In order to allow the royalty to escape, you-- with the help of a Mourian Seer and a Druid named Amergin- manage to hold the line. As you become overwhelmed by the forces of the Tuatha, you realize that you’ve taken on a suicide mission.

7df8c5cb7ca6c7c28abed86f2ca71516_original.png

Just as you suffer what would otherwise be a death blow, the Seer opens an entrance to the Mourian Underworld. She and Amergin work together, and by combining Mourian and Druidic magicks, they’re able to save your life… but at a cost.

a4665c1bcb8a5a519c8d231f7e2417ea_original.png

Parts of your body have been replaced by Mourian metals. And more shocking… you’ve been untethered from space and time!

You, and you alone, are developing the ability to travel through time.

97a69836f6a507208b82b705a2a6d0b5_original.png

You return home to Brigantia to find the land corrupted. It has been overrun by horrible monsters- creatures of pure chaos and rage! Not only that, but the prince has been unseated by a cruel and unyielding Usurper, who has turned the world of the Celts against all magick-users.

a9ca901a73ed7fc2dd84b198237a9cd8_original.png

By traveling between the Celtic and Medieval eras, you’ll discover the source of the monsters, bring peace back to the Celtic realm… and make some friends and lovers along the way!

Now, you know how The Waylanders begins. We hope you like it!

kolakosky

Arcane
Developer
Another one!

Here's the direct link if you wanna check it at kickstarter:

Update n° 11

7 de nov de 2018

Celtic locations
FJxNiZRWdrOoIV_WXPw9mwchUeS8EHBbl7t0YTD1h4ePqA_mI9SMM2Ecx34YZ2l9zBZy3eXQ0999e_FlCpmPSJdVmBtIfdyhZPCxE9PjkuaOyj-juWH5Zjj7R-bBDpLAGdKqAU2G

In the previous update, we shared with you a story preview. Today, we want to show you some content about Celtic locations.

Many of the locations you can visit in The Waylanders are based off of real historical sites in Spain, such as the one below:

UG5KZA9y37Tq0guRysvRfc3HPUXVzv0xxyk9XhrjBgDOEqEUQkKo-Bp5Cjw-1mXuqII5RXo4tUlhF5oJPhjY9NniRYqHpsiqTKKmJMkMalS5Jt0fl5oVpPXKRrOyZmBqltNHm2md

This location is based on Santa Tecla's hillfort (also known as Santa Trega), a place in the Southwest of Galicia. It's considered a Place of Cultural Interest, and wan inhabited around 2000 years ago

In The Waylanders, your adventure begins in the Celtic region of Kaltia, in what is now Galicia in Northwestern Spain.

Kaltia has a lot of places you can visit, rich in nuances and dissimilar from each other. Coastal villages, big forests, necropolis, underground cities, werewolves camps... Let's take a quick look to some Celtic locations you can enjoy on The Waylanders!

w9TcsXVrcAdH7FL02PehmrTWbS00VlCtkO3pBlwGuTp3bEqqiZnJA00_iRhk8BqvPFYb-t6TVBzaaKDlbvVv2vCyPKOsTKFbEK1veqhS0KX_jnEL9D3AmkBNEk5P5Wze5_777U0b

Brigantia
The capital of these lands is Brigantia, a bustling coastal city, and home to King Ith and his court. Brigantia has the largest and densest population in all of Kaltia, and The Tower, an ancient lighthouse, is located here.

Dumbriga
Dumbriga, a smaller city to the south, is the home of the University. Druids from all over Kaltia come here to study and perfect their magical crafts. A mountain at the center of town, commonly called The Olympus of the Celts, is said to house some of the elder gods, and is off-limits to all but the most advanced Druids.

Mourian Underworld
The Mourian Underworld is a vast underground network of cities and towns that spans the majority of Kaltia. There are a few large doors through which you can travel through to their society. Mourian architecture is elegant, and lavishly decorated- parts of their bodies are made of gold, but so are their homes.

Werewolf Camp
The Werewolf Camp is… a camp full of werewolves! They are master hunters and enjoy trading with the outside world, but are still seen as intimidating by many humans… partially because their camps are guarded by actual wolves.

Dunnios
Dunnios is an enormous necropolis. It is inhabited by few living souls, and instead houses the bodies of thousands of Celtic dead from many centuries past, including the legendary King Breoghan. Dunnios is what is known as a crossroads- a place where the lines blur between the living and the dead… a place known to attract dragons…

Aunes
Aunes is a charming seaside town, mostly inhabited by Goblins. The Goblins of Kaltia are mischievous, playful creatures who don’t intend harm- but they might do harm if they think it’s funny… so it’s best to be on your guard.

The Woodlands
The Woodlands is, by far, the largest forest in the region. Small encampments and villages are littered throughout its dells and clearings. Many of the trees are said to be thousands of years old, and because of this, the area is known for being extremely magickal.

Ancares
Ancares is a harsh, snowy mountain region with few permanent residents. The majority of buildings in Ancares are military forts meant to keep away the monsters that roam the tundras.

Medhu's Peak
Medhu’s Peak is the only Mourian city outside of the Underworld. It is named for the ancient goddess Medhu, and is wealthy nearly beyond imagination. The gold mines here are seemingly ever-flowing, and the ancient magick is felt in the very air you breathe.

--------

We'll give you more details about these locations in future updates. You can comment and tell us which one is your favourite!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/432712414/the-waylanders-the-rpg-videogame/posts/2337472

Important news about first stretch goal!

The story is one of the most important parts in The Waylanders. That’s the reason why we are collaborating with experienced scriptwriters. In fact, our first stretch goals is to count on Emily Grace Buck, one of the most talented writers in videogames industry.

9d8aa124f61a91a20d7223970a7df13b_original.png

But we have great news for all of you. She is heavily involved in the campaign and really interested in The Waylanders, so we’ve reached an agreement… Emily is now part of the team!

The Waylanders is still an indie RPG, but we are really happy because she’s an AAA person with the skills to write an AAA story for the game.

This announcement means, Emily is free from her ‘stretch goal jail’, and this is now unlocked, even before reaching the $200,000 goal!

39bb14127d95df4746dfc8dfaf759574_original.png

Emily joins our team, so this stretch goal is unlocked!
She wrote some kind words for all of you:

Fantasy stories have been my solace, my escape, my home away from home, since I can remember. When I was a small child, I’d often hide under my bed with a flashlight and read The Lord of the Rings or Redwall until the sun came up, dreaming of exciting adventures, deep relationships, and magical realms. Soon, I started playing tabletop RPGs, designing and writing my own characters, worlds, and stories. I became so excited about medieval history and legends that it was one of my main focuses academically in undergrad.

I didn’t start playing large-scale videogames until I was in college, but series like The Elder Scrolls, Neverwinter Nights, and later Dragon Age were and still are my absolute favorites. I immersed myself in those worlds, devouring every bit of lore I could. The amount of fanfiction I wrote was… enormous. As I practiced writing characters and scenarios for those types of games- fantasy epics in which I was also able to romance and befriend characters, I realized… I had to be a game storyteller. I needed to do this with my life.

My writing samples for my first game design position were all thinly veiled fantasy game fanfics. I got the job.

And now, many years and a lot of titles later… I’m not writing fanfiction any more! I’m getting to actually write the real thing! A real, huge, fantasy RPG!

My time at Telltale allowed me to experiment with all kinds of ways to help players emotionally invest in games, and have agency over their relationships with NPCs… while still giving those non-player characters agency as well.

Thank you so much for giving me the chance to work on The Waylanders. This is a dream come true.

I can’t wait to use my previous narrative experience and my love for this genre to bring you what I hope will be a delightful and robust gaming journey through the world of the Celts!

So, now Emily joins the team and we have 4 experienced collaborators for the script:

ee75154c5a37254b78e0e8eeac35c541_original.jpg

We hope you like this important announcement. We are sure she will help to improve the quality of The Waylanders!

We recommend to follow Emily on Twitter:

@emilybuckshot

And of course, you can follow The Waylanders too!

@waylandersRPG

0ef649d6cc464476b35ea1b55221abe1_original.png

Aunes is a charming seaside town, known for its brightness and relaxing atmosphere. It’s sunny and warm nearly every day, and staying in Aunes is known to cheer up even the most grumpy people.

83152d19a7d5ab14095fcc218702e35d_original.png

Though there are many humans in Aunes, their largest population is Goblins. The Goblins of Kaltia are mischievous, playful creatures who don’t intend harm- but they might do harm if they think it’s funny… so it’s best to be on your guard. They’ll never hurt you maliciously, but you still might get hurt. Or have things stolen. Or your house burnt down. Then again, you might receive nice gifts, or a nice laugh at someone else’s expense.

e61bdb8f1da8d32a11e9859fc3a8d81d_original.png

By the Medieval era, Ons has become a town of mystery and madness. After years of corruption, the town experiences a near-constant nighttime. Swirling fog and storms from off the coast are an almost daily occurrence.

6c98769a747129aa47c3c361b942f5c0_original.png

The once-shiny buildings of Aunes have been battered by centuries of storms and decay. The once glorious lighthouses now stand as lonely beacons against the looming chaos. The residents all seem a bit… off, when you speak to them. Nothing ever quite makes sense, except for the persistent darkness, and the rhythmic beating of your own heart in the dreary silence.

85a67d51a2ea7ea9fe92510be17aa23c_original.png

I'm surprised they haven't revealed Chris Avellone the mystery writer yet.

kolakosky

Arcane
Developer
I don't know bro :/

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom