Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Yeah Tybir was really hard to figure out.

Haha, loved that movie as a kid. Reminds of another classic gay character.

latest

I guess I'm going to have to play Numanuma after all. :dealwithit:

I've squeezed enough out of the game to find some enjoyment, while endlessly reloading certain battles. But maybe I'm retarded to give it so much effort.

Lujo

Augur
Yeah Tybir was really hard to figure out.

Figuring out he'd bone dudes is not figuring him out. That's part of the thing with the character, saying he's a well written bisexual wouldn't be doing him justice. He's a simply a lot more than that. If you mean his choice of clothing - the Mediterranean is more relaxed about color coding. You have this in Spain, Italy, Balkans, North Africa and you had it in the Middle East throughout history. I've heard women comment many times that the whole "mustaches, easy smile, earring, bright colors, bit of tan and the ability to charms the pants off of anything" is so ridiculous that it disarms you and you just have to give it a try even if you laugh about it afterwards. We call this sort of thing "galeb" (seagull) or "maci" (tomcat) in Croatia. He doesn't look visibly gay to me at all, he looks like a Spanish/Italian/Turkish/Mediterranean pirate/brigand/swashbuckler. The sillier and more harmless they look, the better they stab you when your guard is down. Italians are especially notorious for this sort of thing - they're so easy to not take seriously, while at the same time being shrewd, nasty and dangerous as much as any other folk. Moreso, even.

EDIT: If you think about it, it's a very nasty psych tactic. Guys who look intimidating or obviously thuggish are way more likely to avoid getting into fights on account of their looks. Guys who look like a bit of a clown are way more likely to get picked upon, and you really can't tell who you're dealing with based on looks alone. And this is what your basic Tybir wants, because he can usually mess you up whoever you are. Anyone can dress up like a clown. Look at Spanish bullfighters. They dress up like silly gits... and then go melee fight enraged bulls with a sword and a piece of cloth. Humans really fall for appearances, and folks on the Mediterranean have been exploiting this for millenia. If women aren't afraid of you and you combine the disarming and kinda relaxed look with wit, charm and self-confidence, it gets you laid a lot, too. Ever since tourism replaced the once rampant piracy these guys pick up a lot of tourist women. The term "galebariti" ("to seagull around") nowdays means "to pick up tourist women". Women from central and western europe adore them.

Which is why Tybir's prowess as as lover, you can see it in-game, is completely true to life. This is what that sort of guy is really like IRL. In old times it was because they used to go around as mercenaries/pirates which gave them a lot of access to women who's fathers and brothers wouldn't come after them as they'd be gone by the time word got out they slept with someone's daughter/sister/wife, and in modern times they have acess to tourist women, and consequently they have ridiculous ammounts of experience as lovers. It's a completely justified stereotype :D It's also kinda sensible that he'd be bisexual - boning women is basically a job for him, but when you get down to it he's a soldier and forming a meaningful bond with a guy in the same line of work is more likely than him forming a lasting attachment to a woman.

This is fascinating. I dismissed Tybir pretty quickly as a companion because I found him least likeable and party size is limited. Did I win the "Tybir challenge"?

Well, if you did what he was asking you to do and then parted ways, I supposed he got what he wanted out of you... I was looking to round up achievements because it tends to take you through content, and for the run with Tybir I went with Calistege, Tybir and Rhin. I made a fiighter, because I figured that between Calistege and Tybir I had enough talky skills and I wanted to see how they tackled the eternal problem of RPG's, where it's really difficult to make physical types have anything to actually do outside of combat. I'd be unsatisfied as I didn't really get that much out of the "might" pool (there's way too many "speed" weapons around, too), but it's still kinda better than most (if not all) RPG's. It's always the same problem and a really difficult one to solve.

Last edited:

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
I know the game is mediocre but it's siting in my Steam backlog so I have to finish it. Question: What is the best class to enjoy the game the most? Any general tips and recommendations?

Ulfhednar

Savant
I know the game is mediocre but it's siting in my Steam backlog so I have to finish it. Question: What is the best class to enjoy the game the most? Any general tips and recommendations?
Didn’t ever finish, but I played a high intellect nano and seemed to get many options. Of the three stat pools, generally prioritize Intellect > Speed > Might. Get ‘Edge’ whenever you can, as it reduces the cost of skill checks. Anamnesis (sp?) and scan thoughts are nice flavor skills if you want the most story options. Don’t recall too much more about character building at this point in time, though.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Didn’t ever finish, but I played a high intellect nano and seemed to get many options. Of the three stat pools, generally prioritize Intellect > Speed > Might. Get ‘Edge’ whenever you can, as it reduces the cost of skill checks. Anamnesis (sp?) and scan thoughts are nice flavor skills if you want the most story options. Don’t recall too much more about character building at this point in time, though.

Seems like the gentleman above you already used your advice.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I went through this a second time. Sticking almost entirely to the critical path, it took a little over 8 hours. I can see why people who had no/few problems with the beta hated the full release; even though I skipped all the prose (and nearly all sidequests), the amount of spacebarring you have to do to get to the role-playing is so draining. Aside from that, I still enjoyed the experience. It was funny seeing how that one sidequest in the beginning where you have to deal with that rogue AI is a lower-stakes version of what happens in the ending with the Spectre. I was also able to get by without killing a single creature, other than the ones in the tutorial and the abykos to get on the Bloom's good side. I still don't have any issue with the setting or the plot, which are perfectly acceptable for a fantasy role playing game, so really the only problem is all the verbal masturbation. Wouldn't have thought in 2013 that this one big flaw would end up making it one of the Codex's most hated games, but there you go.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
I still don't have any issue with the setting or the plot, which are perfectly acceptable for a fantasy role playing game

:lol: dude what

are you one of those people secretly despising fantasy because "anything flies", even cyborg dinosaurs with laser eyes?

hexer

Roguey, you didn't have an issue with the Last Castoff being in the background and everybody just talking about the Changing God all the time?
It makes you feel like a sidekick character who's in a wrong story.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Roguey, you didn't have an issue with the Last Castoff being in the background and everybody just talking about the Changing God all the time?

"Did you know? I'm the Falling Star!!!!111" (*Silver tide penis increases massively*)

"Really? That's nice. Hey, do you know the Changing God? He's so dreamy. I wish I could be one of his helpless vessels one day!"

"Did you miss the part about me being the Falle..."

"OH CHANGING GOD CHOOSE ME NOW!"

*slinks off*

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I hated the setting, it felt like a low-talent wannabe epic fanfic. Couldn't get over the first two hours or so but I kindda like the combat (plus I played on launch and apparently it has been improved afterwards) so it's on my list of try-agains.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The Changing God was the previous you, not unlike TNO's previous incarnations. They cause the problems, you resolve them.

hexer

In PST all those actions were done by you but you can't remember any of it due to your amnesia.
In TTON all those actions were done by someone else who possessed your body.

That's the main difference and a HUGE problem with TTON's main plot.
You're in somebody else's story.
That's when you lose most players' interest, they stop caring.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
In PST all those actions were done by you but you can't remember any of it due to your amnesia.

That's the main difference and a HUGE problem with TTON's main plot.
You're in somebody else's story.
That's when you lose most players' interest, they stop caring.

it's the other way round for me. Games are about choice. PS:T is unrolling an entire legacy of yours before you that you didn't choose. At best you can right some of your previous wrongs - that weren't even committed by you :lol:

TTON is like, ok, people mistake me for someone else who was using my body. Interesting dilemma, to be sure.

The problem is in the execution. Like that quest with the bunker in the Reef of Fallen Worlds that gets closed off if you refuse to apologize - you don't even know what for. And then one of the options was marked as telling the truth (by not being tagged as [lie]) about how you are sorry about what happened - when the player doesn't even know what happened :lol:

Quillon

Arcane
it's the other way round for me. Games are about choice. PS:T is unrolling an entire legacy of yours before you that you didn't choose. At best you can right some of your previous wrongs - that weren't even committed by you :lol:

TTON is like, ok, people mistake me for someone else who was using my body. Interesting dilemma, to be sure.

The problem is in the execution. Like that quest with the bunker in the Reef of Fallen Worlds when you refuse to apologize - you don't even know what for. And then one of the options was marked as telling the truth (by not being tagged as [lie]) about how you are sorry about what happened - when the player doesn't even know what happened :lol:

Whappened dude? Who used your body? Your look-a-like? You need to right that wrong my man. And don't apologize for something that you didn't do ffs.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck

The problem is in the execution. Like that quest with the bunker in the Reef of Fallen Worlds when you refuse to apologize - you don't even know what for. And then one of the options was marked as telling the truth (by not being tagged as [lie]) about how you are sorry about what happened - when the player doesn't even know what happened :lol:

Whappened dude? Who used your body? Your look-a-like? You need to right that wrong my man. And don't apologize for something that you didn't do ffs.

I didn't (in my second playthrough). Imagine my surprise when the entire sidequest was closed off - you know, the one that opens up an entire new location that is like the only combat heavy area in the beginning :thumbsup:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Those previous TNOs weren't you. You even meet them in the end-game where they are clearly not you.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Those previous TNOs weren't you. You even meet them in the end-game where they are clearly not you.
IIRC you meet them all in your head, suggesting that in fact, they're all you. Now, mind you, different incarnations of you, but still you.

In Numanuma, it's all someone else completely, all the time. It's all just stories disconnected from you, with no real mystery, just.. here, have a flash of someone else doing something at some point. It's much like seeing the ghosts in PoE.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom