Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Wrong. Plowing the fields and taking care of the animals is not stressful, it's actually kinda relieving. Running from meeting to meeting, sitting in a traffic jam, when you are in a hurry, not doing excercises, eating junk food, working 12 hours a day, bringing up your spoiled retarded kids and arguing with your wife who is cheating on you is stressful. Do this for 30 years and you have your grey hair.
Josh has no kids, rides a bike to work, does exercise, probably doesn't eat junk, introduced Sawyercare.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The gray hair might be fake. Maybe it's some hipster thing
thinking.png

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Our modern stress is NOTHING compared to what our ancestors had to endure
Plowing the fields and taking care of the animals is not stressful, it's actually kinda relieving.

It's relieving if you visit your uncle who has a farm for 2 weeks in the summer. Doing it for a living is fucking brutal. Pigs don't care that you want a vacation or if it's a New Years Eve, you still gotta go there and shovel shit every day. Back-breaking labor 365 days a year. Too long winter, supplies don't last and you starve. Too short summer, crops are bad and you starve.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Plowing the fields and taking care of the animals is not stressful, it's actually kinda relieving.

It's relieving if you visit your uncle who has a farm for 2 weeks in the summer. Doing it for a living is fucking brutal. Pigs don't care that you want a vacation or if it's a New Years Eve, you still gotta go there and shovel shit every day. Back-breaking labor 365 days a year. Too long winter, supplies don't last and you starve. Too short summer, crops are bad and you starve.
Hard work =/= stress.

2house2fly

Magister
Wrong. Plowing the fields and taking care of the animals is not stressful, it's actually kinda relieving. Running from meeting to meeting, sitting in a traffic jam, when you are in a hurry, not doing excercises, eating junk food, working 12 hours a day, bringing up your spoiled retarded kids and arguing with your wife who is cheating on you is stressful. Do this for 30 years and you have your grey hair.
Josh has no kids, rides a bike to work, does exercise, probably doesn't eat junk, introduced Sawyercare.
And he works for Feargus Urquhart, so he has to constantly go to the cheesecake factory to get extra development funds and smile back at the waiters constantly coming up to ask if everything is OK, and the tip has to come out of his own pocket because you know Feargus doesn't tip

2house2fly

Magister

Please, how long do you think it actually takes to shovel pig shit. A few hours of honest labour, rewarding your body with strength and health. Modern jobs chain you to a desk for eight and a half hours a day, the cafeteria vending machine sells salty, fatty snacks and sugary caffeinated drinks which slowly poison your body, you have to run on a treadmill to exercise, the constant running in place thematically bringing to mind the empty rut of your work life fuelling the ennui you feel as a sort of inner acknowledgment that your days are spiritually bereft, your only solace is your family but there is too much to do and too little time to do it in so you can't even spend time relishing in your mutual love, and if you lift your head from your workstation and look at the world around you all you see is the government openly plotting to funnel money from your pockets into those of billionaires to ensure they will be on-top when the climate-change-caused collapse of society takes place. Please, please let me shovel pig shit.

hello friend

Arcane

Have you ever actually done farm work?

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

Yes, every summer for about 20 years until my gramps passed away. And he had pretty medieval setup with barely no machines so I can drive a horse cart and I'm fairly proficient with a scythe.

Your move hombre.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Yes, every summer for about 20 years until my gramps passed away. And he had pretty medieval setup with barely no machines so I can drive a horse cart and I'm fairly proficient with a scythe.

Your move hombre.
He should have chosen the honourable profession of a highwayman :obviously:.

Joke aside,respect for you mate :salute:. We need more people like you and your old man.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Please, how long do you think it actually takes to shovel pig shit. A few hours of honest labour [--] Please, please let me shovel pig shit.

I'll give you a real life example:

- wake up at 4.00
- work on the animals from 5.00 to 10.00
- have lunch/breakfast and then do maintenance work/paperwork
- work on the animals from 15.00 to 20.00

And that is 24/7.

This does not include the time spent planting/plowing/harvesting.

Honest labour is great, I agree. But I'd pick something that does not involve animals. You get off waaaaay easier.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
How do you know how much grey hair all your ancestors had at any age?
None of my grand-parents or any other 'old' person from their villages got their first greys till their mid to late 50s. When you take a look at old photos, also no one younger than 50 had a single gray.

People (ESPECIALLY women) are getting old and whitering at alarming pace. Young girls are starting to mature (at 15-16) and already when they hit 24-25 they look like average 30something used to look mere 20-30 years ago.

Time is passing by like ferarri, girls dangerously young are looking 'ready' and girls my age are already hitting the wall, hitting it hard. God, can you reset time speed to x1.00?

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
How do you know how much grey hair all your ancestors had at any age?
None of my grand-parents or any other 'old' person from their villages got their first greys till their mid to late 50s. When you take a look at old photos, also no one younger than 50 had a single gray.

People (ESPECIALLY women) are getting old and whitering at alarming pace. Young girls are starting to mature (at 15-16) and already when they hit 24-25 they look like average 30something used to look mere 20-30 years ago.

Time is passing by like ferarri, girls dangerously young are looking 'ready' and girls my age are already hitting the wall, hitting it hard. God, can you reset time speed to x1.00?

That's because there is nothing stressful about living in a small house in middle of nature tending to animals or land. It's opposite, it is very calming just to step barefoot on soil.

hello friend

Arcane

Your move hombre.
Fair enough, it's not for everyone I guess. I have never been happier with my day-to-day than when I was working as a farmhand, though I'll agree owning a farm comes with a number of restrictions. For me it's the dream job, despite all that, and I suspect many would find it a rewarding profession.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Pickings fucking backbreaking i'll say that, hours are bloody horrendous, pigs are most obstinate creatures i've ever encountered, and when you can't whistle its a fucker herding sheep wi dog. Still better than pit work, first and last face I worked at were 40 inch high, after bracing an equipment you had to wriggle there on your belly, piss wet through and mucked up to eyeballs then start work, quit after first day cos o me claustrophobia and colliery closed a year later. Don't reckon i'd want to do either now having got old, soft and fat on easy manual jobs i've done since.

Ought to get backgrounds like this in crpgs more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom