Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline So what's making P:K so enjoyable?

RPK

Scholar
Also:
Unity3D provides an exhaustive documentation where everything is given a full description supplied by a number of examples as well as video and text tutorials and live training sessions to understand the ins and outs of the engine. In addition there's an ever-growing community that can offer advice to help resolve any situations that may arise.
Lol, then why are so many Unity games shitly optimised?[/QUOTE]

because the low barrier of entry makes it easy to release "my first AA-ish game".

also per seat, per year means you pay "per person, for one year". so, the more people you have using it, the more you pay. that's why, if you're a big studio, you call up Unity (or Unreal or whomever) directly and negotiate an enterprise license.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Best RtwP game for murderhobos by far (yes, better than BG 2), that is why it is so satisfying and you even get some extras like a surprising amount of choices and stat checks for a murderhobo game, you aren't the chosen one to solve the world problems (Thank you fucking God!), a fortress mechanic that isn't a glorified facebook game. This game is the what Neverwinter Nights should had been if it wasn't a failed multiplayer experiment.

It is cool seeing a company asking for once: "Hmmm, how can we do more for the player?" instead of the usual "How much we can rip off those tards before they stop paying?"

vazha

Arcane
One more thing nobody's mentioned so far: The game has surprisingly bearable voice-acting. At some points, it's even decent, not at the level of Baldur's Gate, but heads and shoulders above PoE and DD. Jubilost, Tartuk, Hargulka voice-overs are all simply superb.

haderlump

Literate
One thing I find really noticeable about Pathfinder is the pacing of the early game. The tutorial is thankfully short and afterwards you don't get dropped in a too big hub city where you spend hours figuring out who is worth talking to, where to sell all the looted spoons and who needs cabbage delivered, has rats in their cellar or needs someone to settle their gambling debts.
You are immediately on the road doing that adventure stuff and can actually be more or less the character you want to instead of feeling forced to become every idiots handyman because why not take every gold piece or xp gain you can possibly get.

That's exactly the reason why Icewind Dale is my favorite IE game and why I'll probably never replay ToEE or BGII. Since it is the kind of game where restarting and trying different builds is such a big part of the fun the early game being bearable is extremely important and Pathfinder does this really well.

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
For me it's the pace and readability of combat. With PoE combat became a chore for me because it's such a huge clusterfuck.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
For me it's the pace and readability of combat. With PoE combat became a chore for me because it's such a huge clusterfuck.
The relative simplicity also contributes to this. PoE's combat is a clusterfuck at first sight, and difficult to read when you are experienced with the rules. Every effect and every change comes in very fine-grained steps (5% this, 2pts that) and this just grows the complexity when the player is trying to associate his choices and actions with tangible on-screen results/consequences. "I changed my helmet, now I have 2pts higher Deflection, for a total of 98. How much of a change is that?"

I know Josh wanted to pour everything into the system and give at least some meaning to every detail, but this comes at a price in readability. I was stupefied when I watched this in the PoE beta - "But, what does this system have to do with the Infinity Engine games?" Now that I have hundreds of hours of experience with it, and with the improved version that is in Deadfire, I think it's a matter of preference if we compare the updated thing with the Infinity Engine combat. But PoE vs IE combat, no chance.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I was thinking about this especially because I don't particularly enjoy RTwP.

I came up with following possible reasons:

1. D&D spellcasting is fantastic as ever.
2. Combat pacing is friggin good for an RTwP mechanic.
3. Encounter design is surprisingly good and challenging.
4. Abilities actually seem to have impact on the game. Builds are enjoyable to explore.

Thoughts? More additions?

5. You finally realized RTwP is much better than turn based and you secretly liked it all along but you just pretended to be a turn-based-fag for codex-cred.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
One more thing nobody's mentioned so far: The game has surprisingly bearable voice-acting. At some points, it's even decent, not at the level of Baldur's Gate, but heads and shoulders above PoE and DD. Jubilost, Tartuk, Hargulka voice-overs are all simply superb.

PoE voice acting is horrible. I agree BG has the best one though. Kingmaker has good voice acting, and I think MCA did help choose the actors (so that's the reason). He also did great choices for PST.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom