Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Everybody whines about always playing TEH CHOSEN ONES till our brains bleed but when we get to play a normal dude it's suddenly booring and not awesum enough. Gaymers lol.

Henry is kinda the chosen one though. Chosen to do all dangerous tasks alone :)

Well the alternative is you'd sit in the corner being a little bitch and the game would be played and finished by the NPCs.

Maybe the next Vavra's project :lol:

Valtiel

Scholar
Didn't think Henry was the main problem, but yes he goes from peasant to
the "king's" son just like that and even without him acknowledging it, that was a poor handled plot twist
. Honestly NPC weren't any great, I liked Hans Capon, Theresa could have been a good plot device but you barely get to know her, all other characters are just plain boring people with no depth, no quirks or flawed personality trait, just "the old knight", "the bailiff" and so on. Only npc that struck out was maybe the drunken priest, because you get to know him well, and a bit the engineer in the late game.
I still think this game can be worthwhile a play, but only if you wish for an immersive game, the combat is clunky, the plot is very basic and overall the game can get a bit tedious at some point. I do think that you can tell an interesting "realistic" story and make some very good quest out of it, and they did some of them very well, like the monastery one, the camp sneaky scouting before the attack and the plague one.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Everybody whines about always playing TEH CHOSEN ONES till our brains bleed but when we get to play a normal dude it's suddenly booring and not awesum enough. Gaymers lol.
I didn't want to be the "chosen one", I just don't get why Herny is a "chad". Seems pretty much what the internet slang would call a "normie". Nothing special, kinda boring dude, a bit soft even. Ok of course late game he slaughters everything with a move of the hand but that's a different issue :P

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I lack the imagination of RPing a pre-defined character. f.i. When I played Witcher games I made choices for Geralt not for me, Geralt is an interesting character and the narrative content of the games are mostly good.

Give me custom protag with story agency, if you won't and you want to force a story down my throat at least make the protag & the story interesting. I wouldn't watch a movie with a dull, uninteresting dude/gal lead, fortunately games have other shit going on for them also.

And too bad there ain't anything in between dull as fuck & TEH CHOSEN ONES, damn.
Henry's story would make a very interesting movie. Only this is a game, and the player is both director and audience. A boy who survives a disaster by sheer luck, rises up, learns the ways of the world he lives in, and by the journey's end will probably be wiser and grown up. Doesn't this catch your interest?

Henry is kinda the chosen one though. Chosen to do all dangerous tasks alone :)
And the way he kept drawing the short straw really reminded me of Vito Scaletta. Ever since the tutorial mission and that going around that tank... :)

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Are there any recommended mods? I just started my first playthrough. Aside from the occasional pop-in of characters/objects there are no technical issues (so far).

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Are there any recommended mods? I just started my first playthrough. Aside from the occasional pop-in of characters/objects there are no technical issues (so far).

The only mod a lot of people seem to need is unlimited quick saves. As for me, it destroys the tension and special ambience but whatever floats your boat. I also downloaded mods to completely remove the HUD because muh immersion.

RegionalHobo

Scholar
my problem with the game was the '' late game ''

going from peasant to terminator kinda killed it for me. it s like AoD really, did i like the setting of the late game? yea, but i loved teron so much more.

i'm just a sucker for '' low level '' rpg's settings and it s so rare to find one.

Baardhaas

Cipher
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here
going from peasant to terminator kinda killed it for me.
I still got killed by bands of yokels in the late game. Despite slaying hordes of heavily armored bandits, these peasants were still able to overwhelm me. I think it's partly because I underestimate them, and partly because they use long range melee weapons which allows the whole group to hit me while I'm being locked in combat with one. Reminded me of the stunlock enemies in gothic 3.

Along with unlimited saving I also used this. Made combat lock on less annoying. If you are already using user.cfg then you'll want to copy paste the lines inside of this one.

Complete list of user.cfg commands I used (you wanna add " +exec user.cfg" to launch options for it to work) :

r_antialiasingmode = 3

r_AntialiasingTAAPattern = 2

r_sharpening = 0

r_rainAmount = 2

r_ssdo = 2

r_silhouettePOM = 0

wh_cs_playermaxopponentdistancetolock = 8
wh_cs_playermaxopponentdistancetounlock = 8
wh_cs_playerunlocktimeout = 0
wh_cs_playerverticalunlockdelay = 0
wh_cs_playerhorizontalunlockdelay = 0
wh_cs_playerlockopponentanglebias = 2
wh_cs_playermaxopponentangletolock = 0.8
wh_cs_playermaxopponentangletounlock = 0.8
wh_cs_playerinputcombatunlockdelay = 0
wh_cs_playerinputcursorunlockdistance = 0.05
wh_cs_playerinputlockingtolerance = 20
wh_cs_playerinputlockareawidth = 0.6
wh_cs_playerinputmouseunlockxthreshold = 60
wh_cs_playerinputmouseunlockmintime = 0
wh_cs_playerinputmouseunlockreturntime = 1.5
wh_cs_playerinputmouseunlockminoppangle = 20

Funposter

Arcane

Honestly, the state of modding KCD at the moment is such that even the most sweeping mods available are little more than number modifiers, and often they are broken when a new patch is released. Blood and Iron is a pretty decent overhaul with an assortment of changes to rebalance the game, as well as some quality of life improvements from mods like Blade Master, which renames all of the swords such that their quality is now based on the quality (average, fine, good, etc.) and the material (iron, steel, damascus steel), so that the differences are now obvious. Other things like the Unlimited Saving mod are a must-have, IMO, due to some frustrating quests and bugs that appear far more frequently in the later parts of the game. I never thought I'd need unlimited saving, but then I did the monastery quest and wanted to claw my eyes out after he novelty wore off.

Unfortunately, many mods (like those which affect perks) are incompatible with one another, and the scene has seemingly slowed to a crawl due to waning interest in the game.

Gord

Arcane
I don't know, but somehow I'm having trouble staying motivated to play the game.
I appreciate their attention to detail and the uncommon (for this type of game) setting, but the game lacks a certain something for me.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron

The only mod a lot of people seem to need is unlimited quick saves. As for me, it destroys the tension and special ambience but whatever floats your boat. I also downloaded mods to completely remove the HUD because muh immersion.

I just had my first crash. The unlimited saves mod suddenly looks very appealing. It'll depend on how frequent future crashes will be.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The only mod a lot of people seem to need is unlimited quick saves. As for me, it destroys the tension and special ambience but whatever floats your boat.
I played with the game's default save system until a bug caused the loss of an hour of my time, at which point I downloaded an unlimited saves mod and never looked back. Although I appreciate the attempt at eliminating save-scumming, this specific type of game is simply unsuited for such a limited save system as it's bound to have not only a considerable number of bugs on release but also a number of permanent oddities that necessitate being able to reload from a recent save.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
On Tuesday the 16th, we released the free “Tournament” update and a new DLC, “The Amorous Adventures of Bold Sir Hans Capon". Unfortunately, a bug slipped through our systems which were only visible due to the high number of players that were playing the DLC on various system setups. Under certain circumstances, a bug may render part of the DLC content inaccessible, making the DLC quest-line seem too short and straightforward. With your help, many bugs were identified and fixed.

The associated patch 1.7.1 is live now and offers the full spectrum of the DLC to every player.

:deathclaw:

SlamDunk

Arcane
Patch 1.7.1 - October 24th

– The Amorous Adventures of Bold Sir Hans Capon fixes –
  • A big part of second DLC - No Rest for the Wicked quest is now available from the Charlatan. The quest is available even with completed Amorous Adventures DLC so there is no need to reload to previous state.
  • Infinite fader during dialogue with Hans Capon after failing Next to Godliness fixed.
  • No Rest for the Wicked quest now properly reacts to the player killing the guys he was supposed to scare.
  • Player now correctly receiAves Musk of Infinite Allure on completion of No Rest for the Wicked.
  • It is now possible to finish active Game of Throws quest even when player initiates Vranik battle.
  • Rare crash when arriving at gamblers’ den fixed.
  • Game of Throws journal text bug fixed.
  • It is no longer possible to break Honeyed Words quest by closing door in front of Hans Capon a moment before he forces dialogue on player.
  • Infinite fader after rapid skipping of Capon’s dialogues fixed.
  • Player will no longer be harassed for not having a lit torch during encounter with butcher and his men in Honeyed Words quest.
– Tournament fixes –
  • During Epilogue, the first Tournament now starts automatically one hour after the player skips time far enough from Rattay (eg Neuhof). It is no longer necessary to start the accompanying quest of Samopesh blacksmith.
  • The second and any other Tournament now always periodically occurs every 7 days even when the player is close by. It is now possible to wait right next to the Herald.
  • Guards will no longer attempt to frisk you during active tournament, which caused the Tournament to fail.
  • Tournament will no longer delete some items of players who have huge amounts of items in their inventory.
  • Possible infinite fader during later Tournament stages fixed.
– Other fixes –
  • It is now possible to start Miracles While You Wait even if you refuse Charlatan multiple times.
  • It is now much easier to hit the topping out during Miracles While You Wait quest.
  • Fixed bug in Miracles While You Wait that sometimes broke the ending if the player completed the whole quest without saving or loading.
  • Rare crash during escape from Skalitz fixed.
  • Absurdly bright screen caused by persisting effect of Nighthawk potion during daylight hotfixed. Any remaining issues can be solved by drinking another Nighthawk potion and waiting for a few hours.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
A 10,3GB download for these fixes, Jesus.

That was the case from the get go. I think the day 1 patch was 25 gigs. Apparently it's due to how Cryengine is structured. Can't just replace bits and pieces, gotta scrap and reassemble huge chunks.

From how Vavra describes it Cryengine from a developer perspective is like a hot woman - stunning and beautiful but excruciating to live with.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Is there some secret to the combat beyond what is covered during the training sessions? If I hit or miss seems with an attack seems completely random, regardless of attack angle and feinting etc.

Gord

Arcane
Learn counter-attack.

I think Bernard offers to teach it a little bit later in the story.

Funposter

Arcane
Is there some secret to the combat beyond what is covered during the training sessions? If I hit or miss seems with an attack seems completely random, regardless of attack angle and feinting etc.

Simply levelling up will have a drastic effect on your ability to hit, as well as to land combos. The combat feels very clunky in the early game and doesn't really take off until you've done a bit of adventuring. Practice with Bernard, have him teach you how to riposte (I didn't realise this was a thing in my first playthrough) and it will all eventually start coming together. Having said that, learn to take advantage of stabbing - it's one of the few ways to land hits on enemies that you probably shouldn't be fighting early on, even if it doesn't do much to those that are heavily armored. Attack angle and feinting are often less important than simply overwhelming the enemy and draining his stamina.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
If I hit or miss seems with an attack seems completely random
That's because it basically is. High level enemies will just constantly perfect block your attacks, meaning it will be absolutely pointless to try attacking them first and anything you learn early to mid game will be worthless.
You can basically ignore half the shit you learned in combat training. Feinting? Useless, it doesn't actually do anything. Combos? Don't bother, they take 3+ hits to execute and your enemy will either die or block one attack before it's fully completed.

Here is your guide to combat:
Step 1: Go walk up against your target in combat and force them in a clinch (that animation where you cross swords and the other guy then hits you back, the game never actually tells you that it is possible to win these)
Step 2: Spam M1, M2 or space as fast as possible.
Step 3: Once you won the clinch, hit your target as many times as your stamina allows because they are stunlocked for a good while.
Step 4: If the enemy did not die, walk back until your stamina is fully regenerated and then try again from Step 1.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom