Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Raider Sadist Armor? Seriously?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Gladi said:
Instead I just point, ah, that it is nothing new under the Sun, spawned by foul Bethesda to destroy our lives.

And that makes it not stupid?

Sorry.

Still stupid. Whether its Original Bethesda Stupid or Bad Design Convention Stupid is not really the point, is it?

RGE

Liturgist
Edward_R_Murrow said:
-It could get goofy with rarer weapons, like big guns, energy weapons, the fatman, etc. What do I do if I want to repair my plasma rifle? Do I have to grind respawning Enclave members to get one? It's not going to be fun to have to shelve my plasma rifle in the middle of an assault because they decided to go this route rather than a universal repair kit one.
I disagree. I think that it'd be more fun to have an incentive to use weapons that can be easily repaired, while saving the rare and powerful ones for special occasions. It's the reason I switch to whatever weapon my opponents are using in the two latest FPS:es I played - always better to be able to restock my ammo, and I can't do that when I've maxed out whetver ammo they're using.

Ok, that's pretty annoying, and the best part of Half-Life 2 was when I only had the gravity gun, and it replaced all my other guns. No more ammo concerns. Dumbing down FTW!

Edward_R_Murrow said:
-Favors combat heavy characters too much. People who kill lots of stuff will be overflowing with abilities to repair, even if their skill is low, and who can possibly make up for the lack of skill by the amount of items they have. Whereas a non-combat character without repair is totally hosed as they will have few opportunities to repair and with their repairs not doing much. Kind of boneheaded balance, ya know?
But characters who don't fight a lot won't use their weapons or armour a lot, and would therefore not need to repair that stuff a lot. And non-combat items might perhaps be found through non-combat means. But seriously, we all know that non-combat and Fallout 3 don't mix.

Edward_R_Murrow said:
They didn't really think this one through too much, it seems. Here's one place where Oblivion style "repair hammers" would actually be better, just more durable/useful.
I don't plan to play Fallout 3, but this repair system seems like a reasonable compromise between abstraction and realism. Though realistically I guess that guns really don't jam as easily as they do in games. Or break down into useless pieces of crap as quickly as they probably will in Fallout 3.

Lothers

Scholar
inwoker said:
ThePenguin said:
IMO, RPGs are Role Playing Games, not Roll Playing Games. Hell, 2nd Edition AD&D didn't make you roll for skills, just combat, and that's because unless you LARP, there's no good RPing way to resolve combat, whereas other things like swimming, persuasion and crafting can be determined through character background, descriptions and good role playing. Video games fix the combat problem, though you have to compromise on the other parts.
Somebody with good decrypting skills, can you explain to me what this human being tried to say? I had 10 out of 12 in my cryptography class, I guess I can't then. Go figure.

edit: Also explain to me is it such tradition on bethesda forums to use acronym IMO after each sentence? How is that tradition come there? Does it have something to do with never backing up opinion with arguments at all?

I'dont get it... Sure you can roll for your skills, but you can play any rpg without rolls if you want to and that's the ROLE OF IMAGINATION in rpgs that Bethesda thinks could be "fixed" by fps look... Also why you have to "compromise on other things" when you got your biggest "ishue" solved by an "wristmounted nuclaluncher" with 100 bullets? Is this guy trying to tell that he thinks shooters are rpgs?

ushdugery

Scholar
RGE said:
But characters who don't fight a lot won't use their weapons or armour a lot, and would therefore not need to repair that stuff a lot. And non-combat items might perhaps be found through non-combat means. But seriously, we all know that non-combat and Fallout 3 don't mix.
Apparently someone played through the game at bethesda recently without killing anything but one radscorpion.

RGE

Liturgist
I read that it was a radroach, and that it was in the beginning of the game, so I figured that it may have been during a tutorial or something. Anyway, it wasn't 'recommended', thus the two don't 'mix'.

Wintermute

Augur
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
So if I need a duplicate to repair an item, why not just throw away the broken item and use the duplicate instead? Seems rather pointless to me.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Wintermute said:
So if I need a duplicate to repair an item, why not just throw away the broken item and use the duplicate instead? Seems rather pointless to me.

I was thinking about it yesterday. You can repair one item with other items of the same type. So if you have an enchanted combat helmet you can repair it with several crappy combat helmets - makes sense now?

Remember that "next-gen" stands for Revolution, Innovation and Immersion.

Gladi

Educated
Brother None said:
And that makes it not stupid?

Sorry.

Still stupid. Whether its Original Bethesda Stupid or Bad Design Convention Stupid is not really the point, is it?

Okay, it is day, so I will bite. Why is it more stupid design than seriously limiting the player? Do you think it will make him to play "smart"?

Murk

Arcane
Gladi you're seriously running this into the ground based off of nothing.

Fallout 3 is supposed to be a survival game that has a focus on "scavenging". If ammo is all over the place, it kind of defeats the purpose of that whole scavenge/survive deal - whether it was done or not in any other game doesn't fuggin' matter.

Murk

Arcane
bozia2012 said:
Wintermute said:

I was thinking about it yesterday. You can repair one item with other items of the same type. So if you have an enchanted combat helmet you can repair it with several crappy combat helmets - makes sense now?

Remember that "next-gen" stands for Revolution, Innovation and Immersion.

My assumption is that you won't find gear off of enemies with durability at 100/100, and most likely the only way to get a "mint condition item" would be rare stores or warehouses long since forgotten, even then, i imagine such equipment would need maintenance before use and so start at a lower durability rating.

That is, you buy junk helmet at the shop that has 20/40 durability, you come across another chump raider that has same junk helmet at 10/40 durability, you use one to repair the other so instead of having two POS junkhelmets that might break in battle you have one that lasts a while.

As un-intuitive as that is, it kind of makes sense in eliminating a problem that plagues every single player crpg ever, that is, the broken economy roughly 20% into the game.

By requiring you to stack inferior equipment you find to keep your current superior equipment usable you can no longer show up at a shop and sell 5 metal armor MK II's for fat money 'cuz you already have a set equipped, thus making you actually value your money and not tempt you to make the annoying "haul loot from corpses to depot to sell later" trips.

However the above is more wishful thinking on my part than any belief in actual innovation from bethesda, it would be great if that's how it pans out though.

Mikayel said:

Fallout 3 is supposed to be a survival game that has a focus on "scavenging". If ammo is all over the place, it kind of defeats the purpose of that whole scavenge/survive deal - whether it was done or not in any other game doesn't fuggin' matter.
Except that you can see in the screenshots fuggin' ammo is all over the fuggin' place, muthafugga

If Beth really wanted to give a sense of post-apocalyptic immershun they could save money and take a page from The Dark Tower novels by Steve King. Ammo is so rare in those books that one (400+ page) novel starts off with the main character counting the four or five bullets left for his revolver and ends with him using the last. Throughout the entire novel you're made aware of this and it transforms the atmosphere completely.

I want to see a world where the player is made to consider debasing himself, lying, cheating and thieving, selling his companions into slavery in exchange for a small box of handgun cartridges. Make reliable ammunition seem like a resource like water in desert.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Mikayel said:
By requiring you to stack inferior equipment you find to keep your current superior equipment usable you can no longer show up at a shop and sell 5 metal armor MK II's for fat money 'cuz you already have a set equipped, thus making you actually value your money and not tempt you to make the annoying "haul loot from corpses to depot to sell later" trips.

However the above is more wishful thinking on my part than any belief in actual innovation from bethesda, it would be great if that's how it pans out though.

It doesn't solve anything - you'll still be running around with tons of gear-loot.

Anyway there are two options:
1. You can repair an item only with duplicates (as it was stated in the preview) or very similar items (you can repair .223 pistol with another .223 or let's say 9mm):
you're still hauling loot just not the kind you're wearing ATM.

2. You can repair an item with any other of the same kind (you can repair your trusty .223 with any other pistol or even an any other small gun or even any other firearm):
- if the "repair power" of an item will be related to it's value you'll be hauling lots of cheap items or less of the expensive ones
- if not, you'll be hauling only the expensive ones

Ergo - hammers, although unrealistic, are better :)

Hory

Erudite
Cloaked Figure said:
what is anachranox about? is it any good? how big is the directory size, can i download it?
Surely, you mean, how much space it takes in an inventory?

Gladi

Educated
Mikayel said:

Ah, and here I thought it was shoot'em up, where you are trying to discover your father's fate.

Fallout 3, never pretended to have truly scarce ammo, there was never any reason to expect Fallout 3 to have truly scarce ammo.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
01-KhanAsparukh-EN-30.jpg

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
It would have been kinda cool if there had been a "win the game without killing any human/living creature" achievement.

So it didn't happen.

Also,
Reached Level 8 with Bad Karma
Reached Level 8 with Neutral Karma
Reached Level 8 with Good Karma
replayability++

Edited.

Wintermute

Augur
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
bozia2012 said:
I was thinking about it yesterday. You can repair one item with other items of the same
type. So if you have an enchanted combat helmet you can repair it with several crappy
combat helmets - makes sense now?
So not a duplicate then, similar item of same type. Gotcha. I thought somebody said duplicate, perhaps they know not what it means. Their cohorts seem to think Fallout=Oblibion, so anything is possible.

Anyway, this begs the question, why in the hell are there ENCHANTED combat helmets in Fallout 3? :roll:

Claw said:
Also,
Reached Level 8 with Bad Karma
Reached Level 8 with Neutral Karma
Reached Level 8 with Good Karma
replayability++

Why do I get the feeling this is going to be the only real consequences for your choices, putting role-playing at the Bioware level but with the Bethesda trademark shit-tons of boring dungeon crawls?

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
You get two of those before even leaving the Vault! The comic that was post here a while ago, the one with the "Get Born" achievement, wasn't far away from the truth.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Claw said:
It would have been kinda cool if there had been a "win the game without killing any human/living creature" achievement.
Why would you want to role-play a fag when you can kill 300 people, 300 creatures, and 300 super mutant bosses?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom