Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Modern RPGs without bullshit filler text/lore and tutorials.

RuySan

Augur
I have not much time to play games nowadays, and nothing infuriates me more nowadays than having 20 minutes to play and using those to look at gigantic walls of text without any purpose (Pillars of Eternity, i'm looking at you).

Of this new breed of classic inspired/kickstarter games, which are the ones that respect my time the most? I see all this posts about games like Pathfinder, Original Sin 2 or BT4, and which i could play any of those.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Bard's Tale IV actually has very little text and characters get straight to the point when they do talk, but the save system and general flow of the game makes it not suitable for just playing 20 mins. or whatever when you have time.

Themadcow

Augur
It should have been BT4, but at some point in pre-production they decided that doing puzzles for 50% of the game was a good idea.

bataille

Arcane
From what I've played of OS 2 (around 10 hours), it's got the least dialogue and 'pointless' text of those three. It's mostly roaming the countryside, solving puzzles, and battling skeletons. Pathfinder is similar to it in that respect, but those loading screens make up for it in volumes.
I'd still play pathfinder, lmao.

RuySan

Augur
Off the top of my head, Shadowrun: Dragonfall and Undertale. The latter has its autistic moments but it's definitely worth a shot, and knows how to get to the point.

Also, depending on what you consider a "modern RPG", there's alpha protocol.

By modern, i meant released in the last 2 years or something.

I played both games you mentioned. Dragonfall has tons of text, and i just found Undertale dull.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I have not much time to play games nowadays, and nothing infuriates me more nowadays than having 20 minutes to play and using those to look at gigantic walls of text without any purpose (Pillars of Eternity, i'm looking at you).

Of this new breed of classic inspired/kickstarter games, which are the ones that respect my time the most? I see all this posts about games like Pathfinder, Original Sin 2 or BT4, and which i could play any of those.

Underrail
Pathfinder:Kingmaker
Wasteland 2

BT4 is complete garbage including writing.

RuySan

Augur

Underrail
Wasteland 2

Played all except Pathfinder.

As for BT4, i have a high tolerance for flaws in blobbers. Beggars can't be choosers.

Themadcow

Augur

As for BT4, i have a high tolerance for flaws in blobbers. Beggars can't be choosers.

BT4 really isn't a proper blobber. Hell, Labyrinth of Refrain is probably a more traditional blobber than BT4 in most senses (and scored better), but if you bloody LOVE puzzles and can put up with some very strange combat/class/skills decisions than you might be OK with BT4. Especially if you LOVE puzzles. A deep love that no sexy unicorns can cast asunder.

Some reseller sites like CDkeys are doing it at around $15/£12 just a month after release, which probably tells you something.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Underrail
Wasteland 2

Tell me that after 999 similar puzzles or fights.

Playing BT4 was like having AIDS and being drained by a vampire with poor taste ... in the end nobody is better than before.

You want bloobers: Legend of Grimrock, M&M X, Grimoire, Vaporum, Starcrawlers, Paper Sorcerer ... basically anything else than BT4. Numenera is decent when compared to BT4.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Chess doesn't have much text at all and definitely better mechanics than any crpg.

Too hard for me, though. So I go with tictactoe.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Chess doesn't have much text at all and definitely better mechanics than any crpg.

Too hard for me, though. So I go with tictactoe.

And since the Millennialdex defines Star Control 2 and System Shock 2 as RPGs, chess and Tic Tac Toe surely qualify as RPGs too so you're good.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Example of how not to write (lore dumps)

A hundred years after the Glanfanthan pact, the Mandate of Tyr was established to reconcile the Valirian republics and other races of Anora. The Godhand begged to differ however, as King Noric had already began his campaigns in West Dyrwood. (PoE)

How to write (low-exposition)

The ceiling of the cavern is wet and damp, illuminated by fluorescent mushrooms. With such poor lightning, you begin to understand why the locals are deathly pale with paper-like skin. (Escape from the Pit)

RuySan

Augur

A hundred years after the Glanfanthan pact, the Mandate of Tyr was established to reconcile the Valirian republics and other races of Anora. The Godhand begged to differ however, as King Noric had already began his campaigns in West Dyrwood. (PoE)

The ceiling of the cavern is wet and damp, illuminated by fluorescent mushrooms. With such poor lightning, you begin to understand why the locals are deathly pale with paper-like skin. (Escape from the Pit)

Completely agree. Jeff Vogel's games have some great writing which usually goes un-celebrated. That PoE lore dump on the other hand gave me eye-AIDS. The whole game is like that.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

Yeah, but what those two descriptions are trying to accomplish is pretty different. Whether a player should be given "state of the world is as follows" versus giving it to him in bite sized snippets is a separate matter, though. DO you care more for grand narration setting the mood or a character you care about metaphorically leveling with you and sharing some info.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
None. Replay classics while waiting for "Colony Ship", "Copper Dreams", "Underrail: Expedition", "Jarl Frank the Exile RPG".

p.s. "Disco Elysium" might be good.

p.p.s. V2 is coming next Friday!

V_K

Arcane
West of Loathing. There's actually a lot of lore, but it's not in-your-face and has you work to put things together.
Unexplored. It's a roguelite, so naturally there isn't much text. But where the game really shines, is in level design - despite being procedurally generated its dungeons are full of puzzles and secrets, multy-level sidequests and interesting ecosystems.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom