Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Realms Beyond Kickstarter Update #2: Journal and Minimap, Environmental Interaction

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Ceres Games; Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen

The Realms Beyond Kickstarter campaign has been running for three days, and has now raised over €40,000 from more than 1000 backers, which isn't bad for a crowdfunding campaign that's gotten zero mainstream media attention. Today Ceres have published their first major Kickstarter update. It's about the game's journaling system, which seeks to find a compromise between the modern and the oldschool. While Realms Beyond will create an entry in your journal for every quest you receive, those entries won't be automatically updated to tell you where to go on each step of the way. Any relevant information you might learn from an NPC is recorded separately, sorted by NPC for easy retrieval. The update explains this by means of an example. Here's an excerpt:

An adventurer should always keep his thoughts organized. During his journeys, he will come across many interesting characters who might offer him a job, or just have a skill that might come in useful one day. He might spot a locked door he can’t get open, but wants to remember the place to check it out later. That’s where his journal and his map come into play.

Realms Beyond offers you a detailed journal and detailed minimaps for each location, so you can easily keep track of everything you have encountered on your travels. The journal will automatically record summaries of dialogues and list all the different quests you’ve learned about. To keep things interesting, the quest entries will not be updated automatically at every step of the way. While the clues themselves will be recorded, you have to connect them to the quest yourself!

As an example, let’s look at the simple quest of finding a buried treasure. A citizen of Vedwyd has found an old diary and treasure map when he cleaned out his basement. They belonged to his great-grandfather, a pirate who, when he was older, settled down to live an honest life on behest of his worried wife. But before he settled down, he buried some of his treasure at a location only he knew: a chest containing jewelry that could easily have been identified as loot from a recently plundered merchant ship.

The diary contains a short description of the location, and the treasure map is a crude drawing of what it looked like. "Berried jewls at renner grov", says the diary. "Start at nearby cave entrans. East 6 steps. North 4 steps. Luk at pointy rok bitween 2 trees. Pik it up an dig belo." Clear enough instructions to find the treasure, one might think. But the man doesn’t know what his great-grandfather meant by Renner Grove. There is no grove with such a name nearby. Maybe there had been, once – his great-grandfather had lived long before the Cataclysm, and in the turbulent times that followed, the name may simply have been forgotten. There is a clue, though: there was a cave entrance in the grove’s immediate vicinity.

The journal will update with the basic information you’ve learned about the quest.

With this information in your tow, you can talk to other characters in town and ask them whether they know anything about a certain Renner Grove, or if they know any nearby groves that have a cave in their vicinity. And indeed, Amiella, the local hunter, knows about two groves in the nearby wilderness, both of them close to cave entrances. Both entrances connect to the same system of caverns, and they’re not far away from each other. She will mark both of them on your world map. The journal will automatically record this new piece of information you have learned, neatly sorted into the entries of interesting things you’ve learned from Amiella.

Now, with a proper clue, you can set out to look for the buried treasure. If you follow the instructions from the old diary – neatly recorded in your own journal – you can indeed find a pointy rock at one of the two groves. The old treasure map Mathis has given you can also help you determine which of the two locations is the right one.

Now that you found the rock underneath which the treasure is buried, you just have to pick it up and dig beneath it… oh, snap, you didn’t bring a shovel! You’ll have to head back to town and buy one. But wait! Since you found the spot, you should mark it on your map so you can find it more easily next time.
The update also includes a brief description of the game's environmental interaction possibilities:

Talking about the treasure hunt – as you may have noticed, it involves picking up a rock and digging beneath it. Many items in the game, and even some pieces of the environment (wall niches, inscriptions, a broken wall that looks climbable…) can be selected and interacted with. Every object can be scripted to be interactable and behave in different ways when interacted with.

Interactable elements will be outlined when you hover your mouse over them. But beware: not every interactable item is beneficial. Some might be devious traps: a magical trigger that unleashes a storm of fire when touched, a lever that locks the only exit behind you, a valuable artifact that makes arrows shoot out of the wall when you pick it up. But they can also open new ways: a heap of boulders that can be cleared by a character of high strength, a magical barrier that dissipates when touched by an enchanted weapon, a tree that can be hacked down to create a makeshift bridge over a narrow ravine.

The many pretty objects that clutter our world are not mere decoration, they are fully interactable and often serve a gameplay purpose. Always be observant, and you will find many things to play around with in Realms Beyond. And since every object you can interact with is highlighted when your mouse passes over it, it means that there’s no annoying pixel hunting. You will see at a glance whether you can do something with an object or not.

This allows us to add elaborate puzzles to the game, as well as alternate quest solutions and plain fun environmental interactions. A statue that requires an item to be placed in its opened hands in order to unlock a secret door. A merchant’s cart that can be toppled over to create a distraction. Or a magic stone that hops away whenever you try to touch it.

The interactable objects in our environments follow the three golden rules of our game design: interactivity, reactivity, and player choice.
Cool stuff. The full update has images and more details about the minimap, so be sure to check it out. Coming up next - a lore update.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I hope it gets made and is everything they pitch. I’ll await for it to hit gog though. I’m still waiting on another KS to deliver (I’m backer 987 and the physical copies won’t be ready for a long while since it’s loaded with bonuses). Only fund one KS at a time for me.

deuxhero

Arcane
The treasure maps you could find were pretty much the only new thing Skyrim did that was good. They encouraged you to remember landmarks instead of just being dragged around by the quest compass. The loot being shit killed it though.

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's a cool looking game and promising, but with less than half and 26 days left, unless the campaign gets some news on bigger pc gaming sites, I don't think it will be funded, and that's a shame.

They need the help from pcgamer, rps, ign and similar sites.

ArchAngel

Arcane
It's a cool looking game and promising, but with less than half and 26 days left, unless the campaign gets some news on bigger pc gaming sites, I don't think it will be funded, and that's a shame.

I guess what you meant to say (if you were not a brain dead moron) is that it achieved almost half after only 4 days of the KS campaign and it is sure to reach some stretch goals as well.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I like that update, sounds very cool and exactly as stuff I like in games.
For me this update is :incline:
Mentally backed!

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane

Kickstarters tend to follow a very formulaic curve of funding, where most of it comes in the first and last few days.

Given they have made like 49% of it in the first few days, they're very likely, based on historical evidence, to make the goal.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The media have changed their habits though, which may actually also change the curve. Lack of publicity can lead to capping out on pledges.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Good update. A little more interested.

Still, I'm waiting on confirmation of subraces, teleport, and a better spell selection of only a 100 or spells.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Don't you fukkin' roll your eyes at me, you piece of shit. These are legit things.

*cue a bunch of rolleyes smilies* :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom