Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Space RTS, make a list

Nirvash

Liturgist
I was cleaning my old disk pile and stuff like homeworld cataclysm (the best homeworld), conquest frontier war and hegemonia popped out.

After a nostalgia tear i realized i only played battlefleet gothic and a little of sins in the last 10 years...

Now i want some more, tell me.

Space ONLY, real time.

DraQ

Arcane
Nexus: The Jupiter Incident is more of a fleet level tactical game, but it's p. good.

If you want something on a somewhat lower level than an RTS (no unit production, very few units per battle, rather simplistic scenarios), but hell-bent on autistic levels of realism (orbital mechanics, delta-v management, real material properties, only the technology that has been at least prototyped IRL), simulating combat down to individual penetrations of individual armour layers and giving you ability to engineer your own modules and build ships out of them (so more of a combat spacecraft engineering game), you might want COADE.

homeworld cataclysm (the best homeworld)
:nocountryforshitposters:
Yeah, how about no.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Star Trek: Armada.
Star Wolves -series.

Battlestar Galactica: Deadlock and Star Hammer: Vanguard Prophecy if phase based games are ok.

I think Void Destroyer 2 has real time strategic layer.

Nirvash

Liturgist
Meh, hemenonia cd is busted and conquest really looks like shit with the weird upscaled res, my eyes/head fucking hurt.

Please be sure those games works with recent monitors/rigs.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
:necro:

Star Wars: Rebellion had an atrocious UI, but was a great game, mixing covert actions and fleet battles.
Star Wars: Empire at war has an improved fleet battle system, but an inferior everything else (except the UI).
Starshatter: The gathering storm is a capital ship command game, with a dynamic campaign that plays a bit like a RT tactic game (and is open source, and definitely recommended).
Void Destroyer 2 is a combat focused X3 (ie, less economy, smaller map, but good combat, tighter RTS controls, and capital ships that are not just slow fighters).
I think Imperium Galactica 2 was real time (but it feels more like RT 4X). It was definitely a great one.

Starpoint Gemini: Warlords is a ship game that lets you control a lot of ships in space, but the akward RTS controls and pacing, and enemy scaling may not make it a good RTS fit.
Battlevoid: Sector Siege is a simple space RTS that has some elements in common with its semi roguelike predecessor: Battlevoid: Harbinger. I think it is a bit too repetitive.

Last edited:

urmom

Learned
I enjoyed the Star Wolves series. The combat is very similar to Homeworld, and is very satisfying.

There are "open world" aspects too, but (in the third installment at least) they allow you to skip directly to the next mission instead of navigating on your own from sector to sector. This is fine, but made me think that the open world gameplay must suck if they give you this option.

IWar2 is still the best "open world" sim IMO. Maybe because it is not totally "open", and you are instead guided to some degree by the mission requirements.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have a vague recollection that combat in Star Wolves was mostly on a single plane, not fully 3d like Homerworld. I also remember rather rubbish translation and lots of crash to desktop bugs in SW1. Game felt more like Tactical RPG than an RTS. And IWar2 is definitely not an RTS (which is what title asks for).

Starshatter felt like an RTS when you were commanding a fleet from your carrier, though most of the game you were flying fighters.

urmom

Learned
I got threads mixed up, sorry.

Combat in Star Wolves is not limited to a plane. It works just like Homeworld.

The maps are not very three-dimensional however.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
AI War 1-3
Sins of a Solar Empire and Rebellion
Does Planetary Annihilation count?

Also, which is the best Homeworld to get for someone who hasn't played any of them? I heard the remastered ones, 1 and 2, have had mechanics changed / dumbed down so is it better to get the gog versions which come with the classic games to get the proper experience? Also, what about Cataclysm / Emergence? I've heard many people say its the best and it hasn't received the remastering treatment.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Remastered got patched after release to have proper ballistics. You can play Homeworld 2 Remastered with same ballistics as HW1 I think (been ages since I touched it).

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
Remastered got patched after release to have proper ballistics. You can play Homeworld 2 Remastered with same ballistics as HW1 I think (been ages since I touched it).
So that's the only difference between remastered and classic? Also, is it better to just get Emergence? If I want to get just one, which should I get?

On Steam and GoG you can only get the Remastered Collection, which includes both classic and remastered versions of HW1/HW2. So you can play whatever you want. Also, it's 85% off on GoG now, so under 5GBP, just go and fucking buy it: https://af.gog.com/game/homeworld_remastered_collection?as=1649904300. I never played Emergence (called Cataclysm before), so can't say. It's 2 GBP on GoG now, so you might as well get it Young_Hollow

Last edited by a moderator:

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
On Steam and GoG you can only get the Remastered Collection, which includes both classic and remastered versions of HW1/HW2. So you can play whatever you want. Also, it's 85% off on GoG now, so under 5GBP, just go and fucking buy it: https://af.gog.com/game/homeworld_remastered_collection?as=1649904300. I never played Emergence (called Cataclysm before), so can't say. It's 2 GBP on GoG now, so you might as well get it Young_Hollow
So the steam version also has the classic editions packed in? Not GOG only? I can only add to my GOG wallet later this year, and I heard the steam version is only remastered games.

Last edited by a moderator:

DraQ

Arcane
Also, which is the best Homeworld to get for someone who hasn't played any of them? I heard the remastered ones, 1 and 2, have had mechanics changed / dumbed down so is it better to get the gog versions which come with the classic games to get the proper experience?
Homeworld 1 is the best. The remastered version has apparently been fixed (originally it has inherited severe mechanical dumbing down from HW2), so it might be viable alternative to the vanilla HW1.

Remaster also improved HW2 by removing those simplifications (but kept improvements).
Unfortunately HW2 is still the worst due to atrocious story and writing - it has plotholes you could fit a galaxy through and shitty retcons that call for fucking orbital glassing.

Also, what about Cataclysm / Emergence? I've heard many people say its the best and it hasn't received the remastering treatment.
It has a few nice things going for it, but generally those people are dumb and should be disregarded.
Note that I haven' said it's *bad* - feel free to play it - after playing 1-2 other games in the series.

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Cataclysm the best?

Jeeeeezus.

It's "Mass Effect 2 is the best" all over again.

I see no one mentioned Sins of a Solar Empire?

urmom

Learned
It's complicated.

Homeworld Remastered contains:

1. HW1 Classic
  2. HW1 Remastered
  3. HW2 Classic
  4. HW2 Remastered
  5. Raider Retreat (demo mission for HW1 Remastered)

Both Remastered versions got a late patch that added some cool stuff (ballistic vs. RNG combat) but screwed up balance. There is a community patch/mod that supposedly fixes the balance issues.

Both Classic versions have multiplayer disabled. There may be mods to fix this to a limited degree. For instance I think the mod that fixes multiplayer for HW1 Classic only re-enables support for direct IP/LAN connections. There's no lobby.

People who own the Steam version cannot multiplayer with people who own the GOG version.

Last edited:

urmom

Learned
For instance I think the mod that fixes multiplayer for HW1 Classic only re-enables support for direct IP/LAN connections. There's no lobby.
Oops, I meant to say the mod for HW2 Classic re-enables support for LAN multiplayer, not HW1 Classic. My bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom