Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

PrettyDeadman

I bet the source code of release PF:K could make grown programmers cry.
I also bet the source code of the patched version could make grown programmers jump from a bridge.

Reading it shall become the hot wings challenge of inclined coders.
Some guy here or on reddit claimed that he has seen pathfinder: kingmaker source code and what it was really good and competently made (I believe it was even before kickstarter).
It's a unity game anyway. I think you anyone can decompile it and see for themselves.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
what about advisors? Which are the best ones for the different positions?
All are the same more or less,you just have to keep the one you choose because they get upgraded. Also companions have better scores because they get level ups and the item buffs count. I don't know which stat goes for which position tho. Amiri is pretty good as a mil leader,i was surprised,you would think that it was written by different guy.
I believe the stats are
Regent - Charisma
General - Str
Warden - Con
Treasurer - Int
High Priest - Wis
Councillor - Wis
Grand Diplomat - Cha
Magister - Int
Curator - Cha
Spymaster - Dex
(In the PnP version there were always 2 potential stats for each position that you could choose from, like Regent was Int or Cha)
I love how STR (or other physical stats) is taken into account. Imagine that in the real world, You take the biggest, strongest guy for your general... who also happens to be the dumbest but he has the highest STR, right? That would certainly end well.
In before anyone taking my post too serious, I don't mind this. It's not a simulation. I just find it funny.
It is funny, and your two party options for general are the two most Chaotic "let's kill shit" fuckheads, Amiri and Regongar :lol:
In the PnP campaign, the General could either be Str-based or Cha-based.

Mortmal

Arcane
I also bet the source code of the patched version could make grown programmers jump from a bridge.

Some guy here or on reddit claimed that he has seen pathfinder: kingmaker source code and what it was really good and competently made (I believe it was even before kickstarter).
I believe it, they were short on time, development cycle is ridiculously short. Look at torment , i backed so many years ago, i forgot it existed once it finally released.

Shadenuat

Arcane
nothin is better than to lose your main DD companions because Plot TM because their personal quests bugged and never resolved

next playthrough: mercs only +
Valerie, who seems like never betrays your regardless of your choices

YAY, NOK NOK did not leave me!!

Everyone is dead

NYRISA U DED U HEAR ME

and I am not even sure if that is a bug, I just used resurrect scroll on him

Shadenuat

Arcane
So i think Fortress of Regrets goes something like dis:

Valerie: Sisters of Battle do not abandon their Emperor

Linzi: it seems complicated, but I will drag Nyrissa entrails out of her and hang her with them if what happened really happened. cause I luv linzi.

Others: You did all quests: they resist

Half quests done/Linzi maybe: they are dead but can be resurrected

Only 1 of their quests done/none done: they attack u/leave, res not possible

I lost completely:
Amiri, Jubilost

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

That's probably true for all games. And Unity is a mess per default.
Yeah, there are many things combined here (no order of importance here).

1. Russians. I do not usually like stereotypes, but in 10+ years of programming I have met exactly 0 Russians who do not code by the "job security through obscurity" principle. It's usually very hard to read spaghetti code. I have no idea why it is like that.
2. Unity. Engines generally invite to write messy code. IMO, it is easier to keep code clean if you control the entire code yourselves.
3. Obviously made in a rush or turned into a rush.
4. Made worse by frantic patching.

It's a unity game anyway. I think you anyone can decompile it and see for themselves.
Projects usually start out looking fine. Then come more developers, time gets short. Even under good circumstances, project code only gets worse, not better. It only improves when there is time (so, very rarely) for refactoring. Which makes the initial code design all the more important.
I doubt you can get the original source code via decompiling. You'd need original variable&function names, comments, etc. - while these are optional for the code to function, they are mandatory for anyone to work with the code.

hexer

I lost completely:
Amiri, Jubilost

Ahhh I see you've reached *that* part of the story..

I completely lost my entire first choice party members. It was a very confusing/sad moment for me, especially because some of them were gone forever

hell bovine

Arcane
Until morale improves, the tests will continue (healbot is actually proving himself to be very useful outside of healing & buffing now, hmm):
11b1yqp.png

I'm beginning to think that the bard would benefit better from one level in serpentine sorcerer, though. Since level 20 is out of reach anyway, losing one in return for serpentine arcana doesn't seem that bad, and bards get a lot enchantments to spam at enemies.

PrettyDeadman

That's probably true for all games. And Unity is a mess per default.
Yeah, there are many things combined here (no order of importance here).

1. Russians. I do not usually like stereotypes, but in 10+ years of programming I have met exactly 0 Russians who do not code by the "job security through obscurity" principle. It's usually very hard to read spaghetti code. I have no idea why it is like that.
2. Unity. Engines generally invite to write messy code. IMO, it is easier to keep code clean if you control the entire code yourselves.
3. Obviously made in a rush or turned into a rush.
4. Made worse by frantic patching.

Projects usually start out looking fine. Then come more developers, time gets short. Even under good circumstances, project code only gets worse, not better. It only improves when there is time (so, very rarely) for refactoring.
I doubt you can get the original source code via decompiling. You'd need original variable&function names, comments, etc. - while these are optional for the code to function, they are mandatory for anyone to work with the code.

Why don't you try decompiling it yourself?
I am not experienced with making unity games or decompiling unity games, but it took me like 5 minutes to download ILSpy, intsall it, decompile Assembly-CSharp.dll and get a readable code with clear function names and comments:
N5REtbJ.png

I am pretty sure you can make changes to it and recompile it again.

This looks like an actual developer's comment (explains what does yielding return (object)null means in the context of the function or smth):

OR0x6ez.png

Though, this is the only comment I've found so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
All are the same more or less,you just have to keep the one you choose because they get upgraded. Also companions have better scores because they get level ups and the item buffs count. I don't know which stat goes for which position tho. Amiri is pretty good as a mil leader,i was surprised,you would think that it was written by different guy.
I believe the stats are
Regent - Charisma
General - Str
Warden - Con
Treasurer - Int
High Priest - Wis
Councillor - Wis
Grand Diplomat - Cha
Magister - Int
Curator - Cha
Spymaster - Dex
(In the PnP version there were always 2 potential stats for each position that you could choose from, like Regent was Int or Cha)
I love how STR (or other physical stats) is taken into account. Imagine that in the real world, You take the biggest, strongest guy for your general... who also happens to be the dumbest but he has the highest STR, right? That would certainly end well.
In before anyone taking my post too serious, I don't mind this. It's not a simulation. I just find it funny.
It is funny, and your two party options for general are the two most Chaotic "let's kill shit" fuckheads, Amiri and Regongar :lol:
Yeah, the choices for general really threw me off, because it makes no fucking sense at all. Yes, they can both fight, but more importantly, they're both fucking retarded. They should be court assassins, personal blunt objects, not fucking generals. They show absolutely zero leadership skills.

Valerie or Harrim or fucking Tristian make more convincing generals.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why don't you try decompiling it yourself?
Laziness, of course.

I am not experienced with making unity games or decompiling unity games, but it took me like 5 minutes to download ILSpy, intsall it, decompile Assembly-CSharp.dll and get a readable code with clear function names and comments:

I am pretty sure you can make changes to it and recompile it again.
Well, that sure looks better than I expected - there's obviously more information left in there than I thought. Then again, my experience with that comes from C++ only and that definitely optimizes away all of the helpful stuff (at least under normal circumstances).

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
I believe the stats are
Regent - Charisma
General - Str
Warden - Con
Treasurer - Int
High Priest - Wis
Councillor - Wis
Grand Diplomat - Cha
Magister - Int
Curator - Cha
Spymaster - Dex
Yeah, the choices for general really threw me off, because it makes no fucking sense at all. Yes, they can both fight, but more importantly, they're both fucking retarded. They should be court assassins, personal blunt objects, not fucking generals. They show absolutely zero leadership skills.

Yeah, I could see either of them having a solid grasp of tactics, especially Amiri, and being a competent sergeant or something, but not so much a general responsible for overall strategy.
Then again, Maegar Varn being a Treasurer doesn't make that much sense either - he would make more sense as a General.

PrettyDeadman

Btw, are there any people experienced with Unity engine? How are concrete implememntation of prefabs/blueprints are stored? Are they in assets? Like there is a blueprint for class and other shiet, but actual classes/weapons and shiet are stored is .asset archives?
Whats the best way to inspect them? Asset bundle extractor is a bit clunky for me (slow, unreliable, poor search functionality).

bataille

Arcane
I believe the stats are
Regent - Charisma
General - Str
Warden - Con
Treasurer - Int
High Priest - Wis
Councillor - Wis
Grand Diplomat - Cha
Magister - Int
Curator - Cha
Spymaster - Dex

Yeah, I could see either of them having a solid grasp of tactics, especially Amiri, and being a competent sergeant or something, but not so much a general responsible for overall strategy.
Then again, Maegar Varn being a Treasurer doesn't make that much sense either - he would make more sense as a General.

Are they responsible for strategy, though? They are more like warlords whose 'soldiers' beat up thugs, collect taxes, and make scary faces if Irovetti's minions get too close to the borders. Both Amiri and Regongar are strong-willed, ruthless, and ferocious warriors that would easily lead some small to moderate warband like around 400 AD. While a barbarian warrior queen is on the more exotic side of things (still, not unprecedented), a psychotic butcher like regongar is almost an archetypal general circa the fall of western roman empire (and not the worst case--by far). Narratively, if we disregard the whole murderhobo slaughter-fest in which even Linzi and Tristian make thick red paste of hordes of bandits, they are the most fit to command whatever militia bumfuck backwoods like Stolen Lands could produce.

gestalt11

Arbiter

Reading it isn't the problem, touching the Jenga tower of code is the problem.

PrettyDeadman

Result of some tinkering :
DkJEdL5.jpg

As added bonus, since prestige class don't have default clothes or equipment -> character starts completely naked (if it wasn't clear from chracter creation screen):

SVnSSfl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Are they responsible for strategy, though? They are more like warlords whose 'soldiers' beat up thugs, collect taxes, and make scary faces if Irovetti's minions get too close to the borders. Both Amiri and Regongar are strong-willed, ruthless, and ferocious warriors that would easily lead some small to moderate warband like around 400 AD. While a barbarian warrior queen is on the more exotic side of things (still, not unprecedented), a psychotic butcher like regongar is almost an archetypal general circa the fall of western roman empire (and not the worst case--by far). Narratively, if we disregard the whole murderhobo slaughter-fest in which even Linzi and Tristian make thick red paste of hordes of bandits, they are the most fit to command whatever militia bumfuck backwoods like Stolen Lands could produce.
Even if we agreed that it's all about personally leading a relatively small bunch of bumfucks instead of strategy, you'd still expect someone with more than just physical strength to do the best job. If not smarts then at least charisma. Amiri is neither, she has 10 intelligence and 10 charisma, she doesn't excel in neither. Physical strength isn't the most important trait of a leader especially because we are not talking about a bunch of deserters or primitive thugs only kept together by force. It is supposedly a somewhat orderly militia of an established feudal land holding.
But as I said, I don't care, it's more funny that anything else. Although if the original campaign in pnp had 2 possible stats for each role it's strange they removed that. Charisma makes much more sense than strength for a general.

PrettyDeadman

I would like to mess around with game if I have a time later.
Like add unlevel or respecc button to ui and implement unleveling in some way.
This sounds like a nice challenge. Or add roll-based character generation instead of point buy.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
This sounds like a nice challenge. Or add roll-based character generation instead of point buy.
Or fix bugs they won't :lol:
Thing is, if you'd release anything, I'm not sure how they would react.

PrettyDeadman

Or fix bugs they won't :lol:
Thing is, if you'd release anything, I'm not sure how they would react.
Like cease and decease notifications? I think it's a possibiltiy (though I am not sure if they are as vigilante about source code as about stuff like characters, trademarks and etc).

I am pretty sure there were tools to inject your code into unity games without recompiling game's code itself/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom