Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Parabalus

Arcane
I don't know about the obligatory scouting before combat. I think this is a rather videogamey thing that has no place in a PnP adaptation. I don't remember doing it in the Infinity Engine games (BG and IWD) either. It's something I picked up as a habit since PoE, because it has no cost to it, and you can hardly ever fail at it. I like how you could always fail your check in the middle of the way in the infinity engine, and end up with your thief dead. Even if you could always save-scum around it, the feeling of suspense was there. So if Kingmaker discourages scouting every encounter from stealth, that's a positive thing for me.

If you have someone with sneak attack it's not about scouting though. That little eye is retarded UI design.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Is it really that bad? I got excited since BoW was pgreat.

if you are someone who is a big fan of the dumpsterfire popamole combat then you will love SSS.

Yeah, that I can agree with. If you absolutely can't stand Pillars style combat don't even bother with SSS because it doesn't have anything else to offer.

But otherwise its a pgood addition to Deadfire. It's a fun game but it was desperately missing endgame combat encounters.

By the way, have you beaten the optional fights, or just the main quest? Seems like you were done with the whole thing pretty quick. They have a list and map of all artifacts needed for optional fights on Steam forums, if you can't be arsed figuring out the riddles.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I found all the artifacts but haven't done all the arena challenges.. The game is bugged or something from latest patch so I can't do that belt quest (there is no way to advance the quest after he gives you the belt.) Some of the fights in SSS were better than in the main game, that's for sure, but there was a ton of meh stuff like the lazy fights as well.. What stood out to me and disappointed me greatly as pure popamole was when there was an event called the changeling or something? When I read the description I thought it meant my character/companions would become different/random classes or have their abilities changed, "oh cool, this is interesting to suddenly have to shift gears to playing with a different class/build than I have all game..." and then it was basically just your party randomly turning into different creatures, with all of your abilities locked and the only thing you could do was attack. it was fucking stupid as shit.

playing on hard btw not normal despite what AwesomeButton says

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I was just kidding. I associate the select all - auto attack style with popamole, and that's only possible on Normal and below.

The Bishop

Cipher
If you have someone with sneak attack it's not about scouting though. That little eye is retarded UI design.
You can have an Autohotkey script clicking at a certain spot of the screen whenever you press a button (or a combination of buttons). You can work around many problems in game UIs with it.

Parabalus

Arcane
You can have an Autohotkey script clicking at a certain spot of the screen whenever you press a button (or a combination of buttons). You can work around many problems in game UIs with it.

:salute::salute: That's a great idea, thanks. :salute::salute:

Completely forgot about AHK, last time I used it was in W3:TFT to rebind stuff.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Going out to sea, taking down one bounty for each faction and coming back to the city feels like taking the shopping list and then returning home with presents for the kids.

The only woman in this game worth romancing is the Huana queen. If this game had actually good writing, without the SJW prejudice, my barbarian would have had the option to take her down for a run on the carpet between the two tigers.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
Going out to sea, taking down one bounty for each faction and coming back to the city feels like taking the shopping list and then returning home with presents for the kids.

The only woman in this game worth romancing is the Huana queen. If this game had actually good writing, without the SJW prejudice, my barbarian would have had the option to take her down for a run on the red carpet between the two tigers.

Just kill them indiscriminately and go back after you have 30+ heads in your pack, even prolongs the midgame nicely.

The Huana queen I found to be a total dolt though, the RDC women (Maia, Hazanui, Fleet Master) all seemed much more likeable.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Wait, the fleet master in Neketaka is a man! Also, whenever I remember they have pointed teeth, it's an immediate turnoff.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Wait, the fleet master in Neketaka is a man! Also, whenever I remember they have pointed teeth, it's an immediate turnoff.

Meant the one in Sayuka.

On that topic, I thought for a long while that Atsura was female and the hazanui male :negative:.
In line with the completely neglected by the usual anti-SJW police, but nevertheless clearly present agenda, Atsura is gay, and you get to ask him "inappropriate questions" (tm) about his situation, and then he gets to "put you in your place" (tm). Someone grabbed an opportunity for a creative writing mastrubation.

Parabalus

Arcane

Meant the one in Sayuka.

On that topic, I thought for a long while that Atsura was female and the hazanui male :negative:.
In line with the completely neglected by the usual anti-SJW police, but nevertheless clearly present agenda, Atsura is gay, and you get to ask him "inappropriate questions" (tm) about his situation, and then he gets to "put you in your place" (tm). Someone grabbed an opportunity for a creative writing mastrubation.

Is he gay?

Don't recall but I think the conversation is the same for both male and female PCs. Might have been a Godlike though, you never now what's what in Eora.

2house2fly

Magister
It's weird to think of Atsura having a sexuality. The only reason I can imagine him discussing that with the player is as an attempt at manipulation

AwesomeButton

Patron
The PC's gender doesn't matter for the conversation. It's in the lines of "You are not like the other rauataians", "Yes, I'm head of such and such operations...", "No, I mean you really are not like the others", "That's none of your business".

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I found all the artifacts but haven't done all the arena challenges.. The game is bugged or something from latest patch so I can't do that belt quest (there is no way to advance the quest after he gives you the belt.) Some of the fights in SSS were better than in the main game, that's for sure, but there was a ton of meh stuff like the lazy fights as well.. What stood out to me and disappointed me greatly as pure popamole was when there was an event called the changeling or something? When I read the description I thought it meant my character/companions would become different/random classes or have their abilities changed, "oh cool, this is interesting to suddenly have to shift gears to playing with a different class/build than I have all game..." and then it was basically just your party randomly turning into different creatures, with all of your abilities locked and the only thing you could do was attack. it was fucking stupid as shit.

playing on hard btw not normal despite what AwesomeButton says

Yeah the transform fight was lame.

Anyway, don't skip the optional fights, there's a few good ones there.

Parabalus

Arcane
The PC's gender doesn't matter for the conversation. It's in the lines of "You are not like the other rauataians", "Yes, I'm head of such and such operations...", "No, I mean you really are not like the others", "That's none of your business".

Ah, I really didn't get the GAAAAAY part of that. I mean, he's weird as hell, what makes you think that's a reference to him being allegedly in the closet?

AwesomeButton

Patron

Ah, I really didn't get the GAAAAAY part of that. I mean, he's weird as hell, what makes you think that's a reference to him being allegedly in the closet?
I guess watching "Mad Men" and "The Talented Mr Ripley". But mainly Atsura's voice, sounds like that of a gay.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I don't know about the obligatory scouting before combat. I think this is a rather videogamey thing that has no place in a PnP adaptation. I don't remember doing it in the Infinity Engine games (BG and IWD) either. It's something I picked up as a habit since PoE, because it has no cost to it, and you can hardly ever fail at it. I like how you could always fail your check in the middle of the way in the infinity engine, and end up with your thief dead. Even if you could always save-scum around it, the feeling of suspense was there. So if Kingmaker discourages scouting every encounter from stealth, that's a positive thing for me.

Given how easy it is to get the flanking status on a mob in Kingmaker and that it is all that is needed for sneak attacks, the only thing you're losing if you somehow lack the ability to click the little eye is a potential first strike on mobs past the front line. And if that matters so much to you, click the damn eye. :P

AwesomeButton

Patron
My wife: "SSS is even more disappointing than Sawyer's trademark Quests of Disappointment" (meaning his quests that wind up to have anti-climactic endings)

Ulfhednar

Savant
I liked the SideQuests of Disappointment from the first game. The Main Quest of Disappointment from the second game was a bridge too far.

Parabalus

Arcane

And if that matters so much to you, click the damn eye. :P

It's the principle of it. There are 5 pages of keybinds for minutae, but you can only stealth by clicking that fucking small eye :argh:.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Atsura is strange. Deadfire writers can't get laid since school years:

RKSLJmk.jpg

2house2fly

Magister
I'm still unconvinced that conversation isn't about his psychopathy, but I'd have to look at the conversation file and see if he responds to a woman the same way

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom