Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cloud is Dead (Final Fantasy VII CYOA)

Baltika9

Arcane
Well, since we're focusing on bluffing, I'm inclined towards doing so. Considering our 'exhausted' status, we'll need every advantage we can get.

Knowing their identity would be nice, but it probably won't contribute to our short-term survival.

Pulling off E would indeed be legendary, but it's a 1-in-20 chance. This is right out.

Random, what would the TN be for something like this: pretend to be a panicked terrorist, "The boss is down! Westford has me pinned. I can hear him contacting the rescue team, it sounds like they're coming into bui-"; end the transmission with a gunshot. Don't shoot the radio, though.

Random

Arcane
Patron
Random, what would the TN be for something like this: pretend to be a panicked terrorist, "The boss is down! Westford has me pinned. I can hear him contacting the rescue team, it sounds like they're coming into bui-"; end the transmission with a gunshot. Don't shoot the radio, though.

Since it would involve imitating a terrorist in some detail, I'd say it's Hard (15+). I'm not sure what the intent of such a bluff would be, though.

Baltika9

Arcane

Since it would involve imitating a terrorist in some detail, I'd say it's Hard (15+). I'm not sure what the intent of such a bluff would be, though.

I think that our best bet is to divide and conquer; failing that, we should at least try to shake the confidence of the remaining terrorists. As far as they are concerned, everything is going according to plan.

I have zero confidence in our ability to imitate their boss successfully. Announcing the death of their boss, the arrival of the rescue team, and the desperate situation of their 'comrade' will put their leadership on the spot. They will either commit to a full assault on the studio, divide their forces to deal with us and the 'rescue team,' or take the time to evaluate the situation.

...or, they will call our bluff, which will turn my option into option C. +M

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
G) Absolute nonsense; "Ever seen that TV show where the pink cat tries to sew a dress for the mayor? I thought the acting was superb but the sex scenes were only so-so. You guys have a date to the prom? Don't forget your tuxes. Blueberry pie is made by tiny little green gremlins. President Shinra is a reptillian."

Did you bring gas masks? Because there must be some weird shit in the air!

Baltika9

Arcane
G) Absolute nonsense; "Ever seen that TV show where the pink cat tries to sew a dress for the mayor? I thought the acting was superb but the sex scenes were only so-so. You guys have a date to the prom? Don't forget your tuxes. Blueberry pie is made by tiny little green gremlins. President Shinra is a reptillian."

Did you bring gas masks? Because there must be some weird shit in the air!

What would that accomplish?

Nevill

Arcane
I think that our best bet is to divide and conquer; failing that, we should at least try to shake the confidence of the remaining terrorists.
That.

I mean, if their boss is dead and they know we are alone in the studio, trhey don't have the incentive to play nice anymore. If they have something other than conventional guns, or even if they have a lot of them, things can go pear-shaped for the lone defender really fast.

Keep them in the dark about what happened. Let them know the plan is busted, but let their imagination do the work about how that went.

Baltika9

Arcane
I mean, if their boss is dead and they know we are alone in the studio, trhey don't have the incentive to play nice anymore.

What do you mean by 'play nice?' They have been fairly brutal already: break in, take out the guards and go for the hostages. They did a pretty good job, too.

If they have something other than conventional guns, or even if they have a lot of them, things can go pear-shaped for the lone defender really fast.

If they have those, then we're dead no matter what.

Keep them in the dark about what happened.

As I see it, talking nonsense over the radio will let them know something is wrong anyway. If anything, this will make them more cautious and focused, which is the last thing we want.

Random

Arcane
Patron
Just to clarify, talking nonsense is not an option so much to inspire confusion, but rather it's there to flood the frequency with loud and obnoxious nonsense so that communication on the terrorist side becomes that much harder. But they may have prepared a backup frequency just in case. Then again, they may not have!

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
A - while propping the dead terrorists in front of the desk. Then, time remaining, store the weapons behind the desk prioritizing gun, ammo, and grenades.

Baltika9

Arcane
I'll propose and vote for the following: H) Pretend to be a panicked terrorist, "The boss is down! Westford has me pinned! I can hear him talking to the rescue team, it sounds like they're coming into building-FUCK!" End the transmission with a gunshot. Don't shoot the radio, though.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Come on guys, lets prop up the corpses! One, it's funny. Two, they will absorb some bullets. Three, it may make the enemy pause, and give us an opening to blow them away.

Baltika9

Arcane
I'm just not sure we have the time, bro, but I do love the idea.

Random, is our past decision to forgive Tifa for the deaths of our comrades canon, or no? Because if it is, Marcus' inner nature should read 'One of Many.' :lol:

Random

Arcane
Patron
Random, is our past decision to forgive Tifa for the deaths of our comrades canon, or no? Because if it is, Marcus' inner nature should read 'One of Many.' :lol:

Well, Marcus certainly tried to forgive her at the time. It may have been more motivated by the desire for booty than out of genuine altruism, though.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Told ya the best option was to hunt the fuckers like some angel of annihilation, instead we cowered in a corner like a rat or a German.

We don't know if the emergency teams have been alerted.

If you have to Bluff, bluff tactically. Sometimes on the line....

C) This is Marcus Westford, Major of the Shinra Co. Peacekeeping Corps, Department of Public Safety, Military Police Division. Your leader has been neutralized and the hostages are safe. Your ephemeral control of the building is gonna end soon. Surrender peacefully and there won't be any trouble.

And, of course,

H) Ask the crew to re-activate the cameras and put them on direct-mode. Start broadcasting a small quick message with you and the body of the chief terrorist, telling publicly how a terrorist attack has been stifled but not yet stopped, managing several things at once:

+ More PR for us, yay
+ Guaratees that ShinRa will send fast the Best and Brightest before the terrorists can overwhelm us. We're talking the company that keeps a bunch of crazy supersoldiers in its basement just in case.
+ Morale hit for the terrorists
+ Without their leader, counter attacks against us will be hasty and disorganized in any case

Easy to fuck up, but we need guarantees and not being passive as fuck hiding under a table.

Sure, there's the option they went the standard AVALANCHE way and placed bombs everywhere but a man has to risk.

Nevill

Arcane
C) This is Marcus Westford, Major of the Shinra Co. Peacekeeping Corps, Department of Public Safety, Military Police Division. Your leader has been neutralized and the hostages are safe. Your ephemeral control of the building is gonna end soon. Surrender peacefully and there won't be any trouble.

H) Ask the crew to re-activate the cameras and put them on direct-mode. Start broadcasting a small quick message with you and the body of the chief terrorist, telling publicly how a terrorist attack has been stifled but not yet stopped.

I'm in. The show must go on. Maybe they should even film them being exterminated. If we live, we'll make millions off the footage alone.

Random

Arcane
Patron
I was originally planning to update tonight, but there have been a lot of interesting new suggestions for what to do, so I'm gonna let y'all debate about it a little more until everyone's had a chance to consider the new options. You guys are getting creative. This is good. I will state that there is one kinda obvious option available to Marcus that I did not include in the list which would radically change the situation, and if you think about it a little, it may come to you.

The alternative choices currently on the table:
H) Ask the crew to re-activate the cameras and put them on direct-mode. Start broadcasting a small quick message with you and the body of the chief terrorist, telling publicly how a terrorist attack has been stifled but not yet stopped, managing several things at once:
Actually it might be better if H) we ignore the radio, let them come over to our location and get themselves shot.
I'll propose and vote for the following: H) Pretend to be a panicked terrorist, "The boss is down! Westford has me pinned! I can hear him talking to the rescue team, it sounds like they're coming into building-FUCK!" End the transmission with a gunshot. Don't shoot the radio, though.
A - while propping the dead terrorists in front of the desk. Then, time remaining, store the weapons behind the desk prioritizing gun, ammo, and grenades.

Discuss!!!!
:M

Baltika9

Arcane
'k.

I propose, and change my vote to, option I: [Bluff with the intent of discerning identity of the terrorist group] "Glory to AVALANCHE! Well done!" Then, call the police. Tell them that the terrorist leader is dead, that we have positive control of the hostages and that we are barricaded in the studio with enough firepower to hold them off for a little while. Provide the group's identity, if possible.

Edit: This will let the counter-terror teams know that they are free to wreck face, and hopefully identify whose face they will be wrecking.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
I say we have Dave and the audience call the cops while we get to corpse shenanigans and weapon retrieval.

GreyViper

Prophet
Nice to see this CYOA alive again.
So many options.

If there is an option to go live id suggest using the live feed to project this to viewers at home.
H) Ask the crew to re-activate the cameras and put them on direct-mode. Start broadcasting "This is Marcus Westford, Major of the Shinra Co. Peacekeeping Corps, Department of Public Safety, Military Police Division. Your leader has been neutralized and the hostages are safe. Your ephemeral control of the building is gonna end soon. Surrender peacefully and there won't be any trouble.
Also, put the corpse of the rebel leader for display for cameras.
Since they will be coming to studio anyway.
A) Nothing. (That way they might keep on using the channel for longer and don't know its compromised.)
J) Use the PHS to call reinforcements after broadcast.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Two problems I see with broadcasting. The cameras are serving to block doors and the crew may not be willing to leave the safety of the bathroom.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom