Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Serus

Arcane
Patron
So, one day they announced that they will abandon the game. Some months later, a DLC is announced.

WTF is going on? Why did they change their minds?

One image say 1000 words.
happy%20kraut%20merchant.png
Nice!
The problem is that they will end making less money than they would have if the DLC was made directly after the game was released. In fact, I fear that if it sells badly they might come to a conclusion that no one wants games like Battle Brothers and that it was only a one time fluke. Scary thought.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
So, one day they announced that they will abandon the game. Some months later, a DLC is announced.

WTF is going on? Why did they change their minds?

What I predicted happened, IMO.

I feel they jumped out of it too soon. They are probably burned and tired of this game, but I can't help but feel this will hurt them in the long run. When their next game hits early access, they will have a hard time convincing them of the upcoming features the game will have, and will have to deal with this same shit again. I believe they made the right decision regarding the financial aspect, but not regarding the fanbase. Dropping development after 3 months of release is not a good move. They should have released 1.1 and said nothing about the future of the game development. They sound like they are fucking tired of it, and honestly, I was fucking tired of AoD quite some times as well. But in a few months they might look at it again, they would not be so tired of it and do something extra they always wanted to do, or when things with the new game are going slow and you have the need of "finishing" something, you go back and do a small DLC.

Basically, it's your fucking game, and you can fuck around with it whenever you want. Closing the door of development so abruptly is silly, there's no publisher forcing you when to work on it or not. Might be a german thing, as a latin I can't see things being so "structured".

Zanzoken

Arcane
Overall this looks to be a pretty solid DLC. Nothing that will drastically change the game, but many good additions. Well worth the $10 imo.

It's been about a year since I played the game so the timing will work out nicely.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Overall this looks to be a pretty solid DLC. Nothing that will drastically change the game, but many good additions. Well worth the $10 imo.

It's been about a year since I played the game so the timing will work out nicely.
'Pretty solid' seems about right. It remains to be seen how often you will fight all those new enemies: will they become a frequent enemy or very rare like the Lindwurm? If it's the latter, ONE new faction, that you fight as often as Bandits / Greenskin / Undead might have been better for the game: Ice-Barbarians coming from the north, Middle Eastern or Asian themed soldiers invading after landing on a remote part of the map, etc.

But the price is definetly ok and maybe we'll even see a second DLC... .

Aemar

Arcane
'Pretty solid' seems about right. It remains to be seen how often you will fight all those new enemies: will they become a frequent enemy or very rare like the Lindwurm? If it's the latter, ONE new faction, that you fight as often as Bandits / Greenskin / Undead might have been better for the game: Ice-Barbarians coming from the north, Middle Eastern or Asian themed soldiers invading after landing on a remote part of the map, etc.

I agree. Extra beasts and everything else aside, the DLC could have really used an additional enemy faction. When they first announced the DLC, I thought that Yeti-like creature from the artwork was going to be part of a snow monsters faction of some sort.

Parabalus

Arcane

I agree. Extra beasts and everything else aside, the DLC could have really used an additional enemy faction. When they first announced the DLC, I thought that Yeti-like creature from the artwork was going to be part of a snow monsters faction of some sort.

Didn't they confirm there is a new "beast invasion" end game crisis, or was I hallucinating?

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

Didn't they confirm there is a new "beast invasion" end game crisis, or was I hallucinating?
I skimmed through the newer 'DevBlogs' but didn't find anything about a new crisis.

The first of the newer ones said 'Something big approaches from the north...', but I think they meant what was later revealed to be 'The Unhold', wich is just another monster.

I could be wrong though.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

I speculated with possibility of new end game crisis couple of pages back.
Might have been that.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
I still can't comprehend what they were thinking.
Start rant:
I mean if they were serious about end of development then fine - make fanbase happy and open the engine so it will grow and your next game will be bought even before you started working on it.
Want to milk it with DLC before that? Fine too. I am not a big fan of it but hey. Cash on it then open the engine. That way you get funds and please fanbase.
But how they handle it was a fucking disaster. Go back on their initial promises, claiming that they no promising anything and they fulfill their obligation by doing all from their TODO list(that they made few months before release). No Linux build, backed off from Russian fan translation(that they promised to help). No modding. I mean if you drop the game why lock it? It only make sense if you want to milk it after but then why announce that you done with it?
This is not a good move in the era when acquiring free games never was so easy. Especially that there is little sense to even pay for game if its have less option than a free version(like rolling back to specific builds or patches). I mean modding is actually a great argument for that as you don't want wait for them but in this case there is none.
Well. More content is good especially that its look that there is enough whales to pay for it for me(as it look like that when you look on Steam forum).
They wasted a lot of good will and shown their true colors.
And for what?
I can only blame Kraut autism for that.
End rant.

Anyway update on my fresh campaign. First one after I dropped game 10 months ago.
Playing with 18 men frontline and its really good. The numbers allow me tackle much stronger enemy than normal and with much worse equipment or recruits. Seriously I fight in 1st crisis(that was luckily a noble war) and take part in it. And have only one squire and one retired soldiers with rest of peasants and other cheap backgrounds. I have only one ranged bro - which on 12 brothers is suicidal. My line consist from spear/sword shield line and polearms in the back - only one 2handed sword user. Its definitely less frustrating even if losses happen. Strength in number is real. Also there is really this felling that your company is growing stronger and progression is much better.
There is no need to cheese the game - to be honest is more the way that is suppose to be played(as Overhype claim - tho you should never trust their words) than 12 line original game.
I have fun and can use builds or backgrounds that are not that optimal. No need even to cheese enemy AI, lure patrols to lairs or mini-max recruits.

I wonder how much more this game would be if we have actually dedicated modders if the game was modable.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Perhaps it is my bias showing but a dev company which puts out constant updates and is pretty explicitly clear with their designs, intentions, and future goals is not the one I'd harp on in a sea of indie devs who ghost out at the drop of a hat.

AMG

Arbiter
By constant updates you mean devlogs? Because they dropped development (and communication for the most part) for a year.
They also definitely were not clear about their goals and intentions. Stuff like modding, translations, more map variation, non-combat mercs were teased/talked about and never clearly dropped until very close to release or even after. The fact that they kept folks so long in the 'hopeful' stage is why there was resentment in the first place. It turns out that a lot of people treat early access as a sort of 'anything is still possible' stage of develomepnt, which is why developers should be very clear what's happening and what is not. BB devs were not, not out of deception obviously, they didn't know themselves what's going to make it.

It's their first game, everybody has to learn somewhere. They are still fucking retarded though, pre-shit Steampspy and amount of Steam reviews indicate that the game sold >200k copies and it is pretty expensive for an indie at 30$. As I understand it, this was mostly 2 man effort so the game was basically a huge fuckin' success. Not following it up and squandering goodwill is really mindboggling. Burnout my ass, you get your dream job and decide to fuck it up because you're tired of it? Most of big indie hits pump out lots of updates, I think Shovel Knight is still getting expansions or was until recently. And BB is a game with a lot of room to grow, not even in additional mechanics, just in pure content. The game has a pathetic amount of variety with like 5 types of contracts and a dozen enemy types and it isn't moddable to boot.

Tigranes

Arcane
By constant updates you mean devlogs? Because they dropped development (and communication for the most part) for a year.
They also definitely were not clear about their goals and intentions. Stuff like modding, translations, more map variation, non-combat mercs were teased/talked about and never clearly dropped until very close to release or even after. The fact that they kept folks so long in the 'hopeful' stage is why there was resentment in the first place. It turns out that a lot of people treat early access as a sort of 'anything is still possible' stage of develomepnt, which is why developers should be very clear what's happening and what is not. BB devs were not, not out of deception obviously, they didn't know themselves what's going to make it.

It's their first game, everybody has to learn somewhere. They are still fucking retarded though, pre-shit Steampspy and amount of Steam reviews indicate that the game sold >200k copies and it is pretty expensive for an indie at 30$. As I understand it, this was mostly 2 man effort so the game was basically a huge fuckin' success. Not following it up and squandering goodwill is really mindboggling. Burnout my ass, you get your dream job and decide to fuck it up because you're tired of it? Most of big indie hits pump out lots of updates, I think Shovel Knight is still getting expansions or was until recently. And BB is a game with a lot of room to grow, not even in additional mechanics, just in pure content. The game has a pathetic amount of variety with like 5 types of contracts and a dozen enemy types and it isn't moddable to boot.

I don't need a video game company to be "clear about their goals and intentions" every month, they're not a government cabinet.

They made a very good game, and now they are making what looks to be a very good DLC. Things changed during EA, and they clearly changed their DLC plans post-release. Fine, things change. As far as we can see they weren't concocting some devilish conspiracy to trick us at our expense.

I think just about everyone agrees it was a dumb decision to not keep working on BB. That's all there is to it?

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Yeah, I've been checking this DLC and I read every single update and now we got a release date and I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooo happy but like

WHERE IS THE "BUY NOW" BUTTON!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! rapsdjff why do you hate money so much!?

:takemymoney::takemymoney::takemymoney::takemymoney::takemymoney:

Little side note (don't read if you're a tumblerina)

I think these guys DESERVE our support not just because of the quality of the game, but also because they have actual balls and morals. I'm referring to the fact that they gave zero fucks about the bullshit that was thrown sser's way and rehired the guy for the DLC AFAIK. So yeah. Take my money for making a good game, and take MORE money for standing up for a guy who was victim of a fucking witchunt.

Aemar

Arcane
Dumb people flaunting their money on the internet. 10 euros is a fair price to pay for a couple of new locations, monsters, items, events, further customization/crafting. The only product in recent times that is severely underpriced is definitely Underrail. 14 euros must be a ton of money in Serbia.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom