Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I was talking about them providing the publisher-like service of a customizable integrated customer service portal with tickets and so on. But it would be be staffed and operated by the developer, not by Valve. Just like they provide you with integrated forums right now, where you need to supply the moderating team.
Well, it's not really publishing in any sense of the word, is it? Anyway, it's an interesting feature that would tell other players what kind of tech issues other people are having (which might have a negative effect on sales) but I fail to see how it would solve the problem of negative reviews that aren't really reviews. That's what was really bothering the developers in the article not the lack of some tech support portal. Some people would expect the game work perfectly fine "out of the box" and would be as reluctant to submit tickets and they're reluctant to post on the forums which takes a few seconds as you don't need to register. Other people might open tickets for some silly things and refuse to close them. Etc, etc, etc.

We made fixing tech issues the highest priority, so most issues were solved the same day or within 24 hours, which is why it's never been a problem for us. I assume that it won't be a problem for any developer capable of fixing issues promptly, so which problem are we trying to solve here then?

Codex Year of the Donut
"game is not in chineze" - refund and negative review (steam page specify the game is only in English) playtime 0.10

Yeahh, steam is great when it comes to reviews...you can review bomb without any effort. Maybe in 5 years, will actually have some a proper review system. I dont care that much, but when i see things like this, the stupidity of some of the users, oh my...
chinese people should be banned from the internet

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Valve knows a lot about the users, so when calculating the review average they should be able to give more weight to reviews posted by refined gentlemen with good taste, and less weight to reviews posted by idiots with poor grammar who only own popamole games.

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I bought games because I was to lazy to pirate mods, since Workshop is a thing. Steam should play more on convenience than anything else.

Dexter

Arcane
My favorite recently was BT4 review were some dude complained that he can't play the game because he didn't receive his key.
People can't review games on Steam without owning the game, additionally only games bought on Steam count towards the Store, outside keys afaik don't add to it.

"game is not in chineze" - refund and negative review (steam page specify the game is only in English) playtime 0.10

Yeahh, steam is great when it comes to reviews...you can review bomb without any effort. Maybe in 5 years, will actually have some a proper review system. I dont care that much, but when i see things like this, the stupidity of some of the users, oh my...
This is an indication of your product being desirable and an untapped market, if you get a lot of those and not just 1-2 maybe think of doing something about it or as a business opportunity.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My favorite recently was BT4 review were some dude complained that he can't play the game because he didn't receive his key.
People can't review games on Steam without owning the game, additionally only games bought on Steam count towards the Store, outside keys afaik don't add to it.

Presumably this person didn't receive his Kickstarter key so he bought the game on his own to give it a bad review.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
For fun, most wishlisted games at the moment: https://store.steampowered.com/search/?filter=popularwishlist&os=win

(*: games currently NOT taking pre-order on Steam)

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
RESIDENT EVIL 2 / BIOHAZARD RE:2
Metro Exodus
OVERKILL's The Walking Dead
Devil May Cry 5
Insurgency: Sandstorm
BIOMUTANT*
Call of Cthulhu
Total War: THREE KINGDOMS
LEFT ALIVE
Darksiders III
HITMAN 2
Farming Simulator 19
Artifact*
Euro Truck Simulator 2 - Beyond the Baltic Sea*
Tom Clancy’s The Division 2*
Yakuza Kiwami*
Just Cause 4
GTFO*
Desperados III*
Satisfactory*
Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord*
Generation Zero*
Football Manager 2019
Tropico 6*

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Incredibly, on the second page you can find:

Who the hell is wishlisting a free mod you can download by just typing the name into Google? Is it too hard for people to follow the extremely simple installation instructions? Rest of list is derp as expected, but this really did have me scratching my head.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

This is an indication of your product being desirable and an untapped market, if you get a lot of those and not just 1-2 maybe think of doing something about it or as a business opportunity.
It's completely useless information for any potential buyers who aren't chinese though. Reviews should be buying advice for other gamers, not a way to signal to the developer that you're butthurt over some stupid shit.

Codex Year of the Donut

you know what else is an untapped market?
people who want the game at 100% off, they should all be allowed to leave a negative review too

Dexter

Arcane
people who want the game at 100% off, they should all be allowed to leave a negative review too
You wouldn't profit from that if you didn't have other business models like Ad markets or "DLC" or "F2P/P2W" (which ample games offer by the way, that's why there were a lot of "Free to Play" MMOs and why there's a lot of "Free" Mobile games, because they hope to hook people and get them to spend money e.g. tap an otherwise untapped market. A lot of the most successful and profitable games recently like Fortnite or League of Legends/DOTA are such.

It's pretty stupid to ignore the demands of a sizable amount of customers (to the point that negative reviews might start to matter) that apparently bought your product and indicate they want to give you more money and there's potentially tens or hundreds of thousands out there that just wish you'd translate your product into their language. These are customers, not only engaging with the product but actively telling you how to easily make the product appeal to them. I guess you could choose to be butthurt over it instead though, to whatever end.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
You wouldn't profit from that if you didn't have other business models like Ad markets or "DLC" or "F2P/P2W" (which ample games offer by the way, that's why there were a lot of "Free to Play" MMOs and why there's a lot of "Free" Mobile games, because they hope to hook people and get them to spend money e.g. tap an otherwise untapped market. A lot of the most successful and profitable games recently like Fortnite or League of Legends/DOTA are such.

It's pretty stupid to ignore the demands of a sizable amount of customers (to the point that negative reviews might start to matter) that apparently bought your product and indicate they want to give you more money and there's potentially tens or hundreds of thousands out there that just wish you'd translate your product into their language. I guess you could choose to be butthurt over it instead though, to whatever end.
translating a game into communism isn't worth all the money in the world

Dexter

Arcane
You're starting to sound very communist yourself, friend. Maybe try making a logical argument instead why near effortlessly growing one's market and making loadsomoney would be wrong.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Halloween Sale is not necessarily for horror-themed games, but for Valve secretly and scientifically trying to measure what is the most horrifying monster of all time.

Here are the results:

#10 - Rust - G-Man aka Garry Newman, an FBI agent who thought he is secretly investigating Gabe Newell. Exposed by Newell at the time of Half-life 1 (reportedly punched in the face), and then turned into a game developer, now making a ton of money with Valve.

#9 - The Forest - The Lone Survivor, known for butchering innocent cannibalistic tribes of remote islands.

#8 - Assassin's Creed Odyssey - AssCreed, ass-shaped former-assassin turned into an RPG imposter. Most horrifying to Codexers, I heard.

#7 - Call of Cthulhu - Cthulhu, it's only seventh? What a wimp.

#6 - Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition - Talking skeletons with genitals. Most adored by Codexers, I heard.

#5 - DARK SOULS III - The Fire Fades Edition - Souls-like. Similar to the RPG imposter, you can't escape them.

#4 - Grand Theft Auto V - Car thieves, actual modern horror. They all once dreamed of becoming a rock star, though.

#3 - PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS - Takeshi Kitano.

#2 - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition - Of course, Halloween should have witches.

#1 - Football Manager 2019 - It's official, bigfoot is the most horrifying monster. Hear their sound, you'll know why.

For fun, most wishlisted games at the moment:
But where's Grimoire? :ibelieveincleve:

Who the hell is wishlisting a free mod you can download by just typing the name into Google? Is it too hard for people to follow the extremely simple installation instructions?
To be fair I've been waiting for the Dark Mod to show up on Steam ever since they got greenlit, so I can kind of understand it in the sense that I've done similar shit for no good reason.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://store.steampowered.com/news/45705/

Steam Client Update Released

Client Update - Valve
8 Nov

A new Steam client has been released and will be automatically downloaded.

General
  • Fixed friends chat and other UI being visible when authorizing an in-game mictransaction
New Steam Chat
  • Unread messages or active voice chats will now update your Steam tray/taskbar icons to indicate these states
  • When displaying a Steam store link in a chat window, extra information about the game, such as screenshots, video and price, are now displayed in the chat history
Windows
  • Significantly improved performance and decreased memory usage for HTML based UI (Store, Community, etc) in the main Steam desktop window
Steam Input
  • Added the ability to change controller type in the “Define Layout” screen. This only affects the glyphs and configurations recommended for the device and the limits of whatever low-level API the controller is read through still apply. For example if a PS4 controller is currently treated as an Xbox controller because of a driver or non-Steam Input remapping software presenting the device over Xinput reclassifying it to a PS4 controller will only correct the glyphs and the gyro/trackpad will not work.
  • Fixed an issue with devices with digital triggers and buttons bound to trigger outputs
  • Added Steam Input per-game settings to the desktop client’s game properties page.
In-Home Streaming
  • Streaming from Mac OS X Mojave is currently disabled
Big Picture Mode
  • Added the new chat functionality to Big Picture Mode. If you’re using a custom Big Picture Mode controller configuration please update to the new recommended configuration under Settings->Base Configurations->Big Picture Mode. Hit X/Square to browse configurations and apply the recommended configuration.
  • Added "Invite to Game" action to Big Picture chat
  • Chat scaling is now done automatically based on whether Big Picture is running on a large monitor (>40" diagonal) or running in VR with the option to override regular and VR scaling settings individually
  • Default chat controller bindings for Steam Controller/Xbox are:
    • Left Trackpad/Stick: Scroll the UI, press to show/hide the friends list
    • Long press of joystick/D-pad press:
      • Up: Invite currently selected chat friend to game
      • Down: Close the current chat tab
      • Left/Right: Switch between chat tabs
    • Right Trackpad/Stick: Mouse cursor, press to show/hide the on-screen keyboard
    • X: Accept game invite from friend
    • Y: Start/end voice chat
    • B: Exit chat panel
    • A: Select item under cursor
    • Start: Submit entered text
    • Back: Open emoticon list
    • Left Bumper: Switch to web browser
    • Right Bumper: Return to main menu
    • Left Trigger: Open context menu under cursor
    • Right Trigger: Click/double click at cursor
VR
  • The VR overlay keyboard is now opened when the Show Keyboard button is activated
  • Added a Back button to the left of the Show Keyboard button that shows while running in VR

Gerrard

Arcane
Just wanted to mention a funny thing, the difference between peak and bottom player numbers for the top games, in case of DOTA2 and CSGO it's around 220 and 200%, but in case of PUBG it's a staggering 700%, and you can see based on the time which regions of the world are the most declined.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom