Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
I think you can start with multiple romances and pick 1 later for more serious shit

ArchAngel

Arcane
Yeah my diplomacy was balls so half the time Bokken didn't help.
Are you playing on Core Rules?
Yeah the difficulty one notch up from the default. My character is a bit of a lightweight too, since I went with the monster summoning inquisitor (didn't expect it to be this hard to reach level 3) but even if I had made a melee char (which seems to be the intented route given your access to fucking wings with +3 dodge from level 1, wtf?) I can't imagine having an easy time with most of these encounters. Valerie is about as defensive as you can get and she still gets hit all the god damned time.
You are just bad. I am also playing on Challenging and my squishy wizard was able to do that battle first try. My caster druid was also able to do it first try. My "solo" pet druid was able to do it first try (you cannot really go solo until you finish that battle).
I could accept that but... how? Are you reequipping everyone? Spamming consumables? The traps kill like 2 guys, maybe 2 more but it's not like the melee guys were a threat anyways, then you've got to walk across tar to reach the archers. And right after that I went to a spider cave I was told to go to and got fucking destroyed by multiple spider swarms, since trying to defeat them with touch attack spells from my pseudo clerics when they have god damned 19 ac is kinda impossible.
Traps and explosion kill a few. You let those that are alive to go attack NPCs since they cannot die and you attack them from behind with everyone but Amiri. You rage Amiri and tell her to charge the archers.

As for cave, well Bokken does give you a few flasks to fight them with. And you should have everburning torches. And if you got Harrim, use Firebelly and spam it every round vs swarms.
If you still cannot do it, ignore the quest until you level up and find more party members.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
What happens if you try to romance multiple chicks? Need a serious answer.
You turn into a muslim or a Mormon, depending on your class. Grenadiers, for example, become muslims.
I'm asking this question for the third time and every time some Seth Rogen type dumbass chimes in with his inane dumb shit.

I need a serious answer, please. Somebody.
You are asking about f****g romances in a crpg. Romances. Seriously. On the Codex. What did you expect? This is still the Codex and it's encouraging that you actually can't get a straight answer. We have sunk low but not that low yet.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
You turn into a muslim or a Mormon, depending on your class. Grenadiers, for example, become muslims.
I'm asking this question for the third time and every time some Seth Rogen type dumbass chimes in with his inane dumb shit.

Not playing it, but from what I heard - if you try that, not even single romance will come to the finish, most likely they won't even start after first.

zapotec

Liturgist
Hmm any situation/build where the other Ranger's Hunter's bond can be useful?

The first is a bond to his companions. This bond allows him to spend a move action to grant half his favored enemy bonus against a single target of the appropriate type to all allies within 30 feet who can see or hear him. This bonus lasts for a number of rounds equal to the ranger's Wisdom modifier (minimum 1). This bonus does not stack with any favored enemy bonuses possessed by his allies; they use whichever bonus is higher.

Traps and explosion kill a few. You let those that are alive to go attack NPCs since they cannot die and you attack them from behind with everyone but Amiri. You rage Amiri and tell her to charge the archers.
Are you sure NPCs can't die? Because in one of my attempts poor Bokken got literally gibbed by a bowman. I reloaded at that point, so I suppose he could have gotten better somehow, but still...

ArchAngel

Arcane
Are you sure NPCs can't die? Because in one of my attempts poor Bokken got literally gibbed by a bowman. I reloaded at that point, so I suppose he could have gotten better somehow, but still...
After combat ends they both rise up. Maybe if they get gibbed it works differently but normal "dying " does not kill them even if in the log it says they died.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Rarely they can. For instance if Bartholomew goes down in the second troll fight he's dead for good (although he dies through dialogue box). In the first one though, he just rises up.
That bitchy Pitax noble can get critgibbed when you meet him fighting trolls, but usually you can rescue (and kill) him yourself after a chat.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I am too drained from dicking around broken endgame to say anything about it, and I wanted to at least give my part on steam so maybe devs would think about it.

Long story short I wonder if they should try to salvage last true chapter, or scrap it completely and replace with something simplier.

Slogging around old areas fighting repeated monsters under effect of that curse is boring.

House At the Edge of Time had enough copypasted monster packs, but some parts of it were OK anyway. But it still overstays its welcome.

Endgame enemies are hilariously OP, and your party feels underleveled when fighting demigods/gods or just packs of CR19 critters. The slog before it is even more boring tho.

:deadhorse:

The only good news is - in the final final boss location I found Dart +5. And it works and has animation and everything.
If they made animations for darts then why the f*** aren't darts normally available from the start? In case of slings, as I understand, they didn't make the animations so that's A reason. But in this case... weird.

I wish mages felt like in bg2 though, here they are just support chars, buffing and debuffing :(
Why, can't you - once you hit level 5 - start fireballing everything in sight if you are inclined to do so? You might not be able to obliterate everything as easily as in BG2 but let's be honest, BG2 except for a few encounters, was an easy game. And remember, you started the game in BG2 already at level ~7 iirc. In BG1 mages supposedly died when a kobold farted in their direction, compare P:K at low levels with that.

When D&D transitioned from 2nd to 3rd editions, HPs basically doubled. Dealing direct damage as a wizard post 2nd edition is a very sub-optimal strategy. Saving throws were also changed, and feats granting significant advantages to avoid spell effects (evasion, slippery mind, etc.) took a lot of wind of the wizard's sails. IMO, the 2nd edition mixture of spells was also a bit kinder to mages. We no longer get Horror as a Level 2 spell, for example. Many defensive spells also got majorly nerfed between 2nd and 3rd.

Baldur's Gate also had a lot of items to pump your spells per day, and tons of wands that packed a punch (because HP were lower). Once you get up in levels, your 3rd edition wizard will actually have more spells per day, but it takes time. Regardless, it's all about pumping DC and going for save or suck and save or die spells. All things are secondary to DC. Wizards are still king, but not by much--especially in pathfinder, and even less so in a CRPG.

Drowed

Arcane
It will be very interesting when they start to launch the DLCs, where they will introduce new and revolutionary bugs to corrupt the saves in a way never before seen.

hell bovine

Arcane
Yeah my diplomacy was balls so half the time Bokken didn't help.
Are you playing on Core Rules?
Yeah the difficulty one notch up from the default. My character is a bit of a lightweight too, since I went with the monster summoning inquisitor (didn't expect it to be this hard to reach level 3) but even if I had made a melee char (which seems to be the intented route given your access to fucking wings with +3 dodge from level 1, wtf?) I can't imagine having an easy time with most of these encounters. Valerie is about as defensive as you can get and she still gets hit all the god damned time.
Having tinkered with a few characters in chapter one AND not having a clue about pathinder before starting the game, my experience is that if you want an easy time early on, then the animal companion is the way to go. Even my druid's boar can tank as good as miss turtle; the prehistoric murder machine versions are even better.

Out of those I've tried (druid and sylvan sorcerer), unsurprisingly the sorceress had it easier, because she had far superior disabling spells. Set to auto-daze, before combat set Valerie to charge (so that she can actually arrive on the battlefield before the next ice age), then move pet, move sorceress, hit with color spray. Enemies don't seem to retarget unless you put your caster right next to them, and color spray has a small range, but still wide enough to avoid this. Unfortunately she got defeated by one of the earlier hotfixes, so the druid marches on instead.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
When D&D transitioned from 2nd to 3rd editions, HPs basically doubled. Dealing direct damage as a wizard post 2nd edition is a very sub-optimal strategy. Saving throws were also changed, and feats granting significant advantages to avoid spell effects (evasion, slippery mind, etc.) took a lot of wind of the wizard's sails. IMO, the 2nd edition mixture of spells was also a bit kinder to mages. We no longer get Horror as a Level 2 spell, for example. Many defensive spells also got majorly nerfed between 2nd and 3rd.

Baldur's Gate also had a lot of items to pump your spells per day, and tons of wands that packed a punch (because HP were lower). Once you get up in levels, your 3rd edition wizard will actually have more spells per day, but it takes time. Regardless, it's all about pumping DC and going for save or suck and save or die spells. All things are secondary to DC. Wizards are still king, but not by much--especially in pathfinder, and even less so in a CRPG.

Another thing is, spells in BG2 always hit. Here not, and this is because it's in fact a more faithful transposition of PNP rules. Touch attach, ranged attack all this shit (they were present in the 2nd ed. as well, but were not implemented in IE games). It's good in PNP for reasons... mostly because it's a team game, and you need to help each others and work together, so better buff than try hit and miss shit. Here, there's no team... just 1 guy controlling everyone. Sooooo, I would have liked a BG approach tbqh (also obviously all the cheese, spell triggers, contingencies, MORE SPELLS, time stop and what not).

I really miss the epic lich/dragon battles from an Edwin perspective.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

Yes, you can romance multiple people, including the tupperware gnomes.
There's an excellent salad-tossing scene as everyone gets together for the complimentary gang-bang.
Are you prompted to pick one explicitly BG2 style or do you pick which one you want to go after, and then all other options simply become closed?
They all remain open until the end of the game.
Just like Octavia's barn door.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
:negative::negative::negative:

Still waiting for the big patch so I can start playing it again... another week... maybe...

They said they aren't doing a big patch at all atm. Just be prepared to wait months, maybe half a year from now.

rating_citation.png

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I wish mages felt like in bg2 though, here they are just support chars, buffing and debuffing :(
Why, can't you - once you hit level 5 - start fireballing everything in sight if you are inclined to do so? You might not be able to obliterate everything as easily as in BG2 but let's be honest, BG2 except for a few encounters, was an easy game. And remember, you started the game in BG2 already at level ~7 iirc. In BG1 mages supposedly died when a kobold farted in their direction, compare P:K at low levels with that.

You should still be able to make casters that can deal huge amount of damage if that's your thing. Granted, there is more HP or mitigation around but also more tools to increase damage that weren't available in 2nd edition. The end result is that dealing damage with spells might be suboptimal - sure, correct. But did it become so weak to be an unworkable option? No, it did not.

As to mages being in general slightly weaker relative to other classes, I can only see it as a good thing. Overall in 2nd edition past early levels non-casters sometimes felt like a redundant addition to casters. They sometimes STILL do. But that's an old discussion, no need to go there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom