Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Insurgency, Day of Infamy (standalone) and Sandstorm

TedNugent

Arcane
So have you actually played this shit, Chad, or are you going off of a YouTube beta vid.

Obviously if they made the recoil shit and deleted the Ace hipfire mode, this is basically only a few grades above cowadoody, but I'm having a hard time believing that.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
'It's a beta' would be a fair argument if the game wasn't a month away from release. It's primarily this guy's videos that have made me skeptical about it. The spawn camping seems pretty insane.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
So Sandstorm is out. Is it shit? Metascore is p. high rite now.
It's Insurgency Standalone but they made the movement 50% faster and made the maps bigger. Guns also have less recoil. Apparently it also runs pretty bad.

Konjad

⛏
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
ANyone played it? Youtube reviewers are jizzing all over it calling it the most realistic FPS ever and most hardcore etc. but I have a hard time believing it and whether it would be more fun than Red ORchestra 2 or ArmA2

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I'm under the impression that aiming down sights is also a lot faster now.
You'd be correct. Basically everything about the game is faster, for better or for worse. There's less recoil, all the gun mechanics are faster, you run a lot faster, you can jump through windows, et cetera.
I don't think it's bad inherently but I do think that it's basically spitting on the legacy of Insurgency and how it was born from former Red Orchestra devs, as it was at one point just an adaptation of Red Orchestra to modern warfare in a slightly smaller scale. I also have doubts about the game's longevity too, since I don't think there's any modding support yet and from what I understand the amount of maps is pretty limited. All the gurl power shit drives me up the wall too.
ANyone played it? Youtube reviewers are jizzing all over it calling it the most realistic FPS ever and most hardcore etc. but I have a hard time believing it and whether it would be more fun than Red ORchestra 2 or ArmA2
You can just buy it, play it for under 2 hours and refund if you don't like it. My opinion of it is that it's basically Insurgency that they decided to make faster and add Rising Storm 2 style call-ins with gunships and air strikes and what not.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
I never played the original Insurgency, so Sandstorm was my entry into it, and I can't really comment on how it compares. Personally I love Sandstorm. It's tactical but much faster than most tactical shooters, which makes it feel a lot more hectic. Sound design is amazing, gunplay feels really good and it's running very consistently for me (70+ fps on a 5 year old rig at this point). I'm pretty much exclusively playing coop, where you team up with randos to take on a whole bunch of AI. Not everyone seem to like the AI, but I think it's really good and they provide a good challenge. One of my favorite games of 2018.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
No real modding support, though. One of the best parts of Insurgency Standalone was the crazy mods that people came up with. Hell, Day of Infamy started from a mod. Lacking modding does shorten the longevity it may have and how long you can keep yourself playing without getting bored. It's easy to understand why you might like Sandstorm if you haven't played the original Source mod or Standalone though.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
NWI banned this guy for showing easy ways to clear enemy spawns, lol. In Insurgency Standalone you couldn't shoot while in Restricted Areas, in this one you can for whatever reason.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Anyone playing this? Like...the game has been out for a while. I'm on the fence since I'm really craving for a new shooter.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
They completely removed community servers and modding? Way to spit in the face of your community, New World.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
They announced early this year that modding is coming later this year.

EDIT: It was late last year they announced it would be coming in 2019. Here's the source: https://newworldinteractive.com/the-insurgency-legacy-continues/

Anyone playing this? Like...the game has been out for a while. I'm on the fence since I'm really craving for a new shooter.

I like it quite a bit, but then again I didn't play the first one and I came into this blind, so take that how you will. To me, this is one of the most intense tactical shooters I've played.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
That's assuming they'll keep supporting this game. They're running out of fuel, this game as of now has less players than Insurgency Standalone only barely keeping a higher average but even that will probably drop below Standalone's population, unless they start selling it for pennies.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
W8, w8, whuuuut!? No community servers!? In a motherfucking FPS game? Dafuq are these people thinking? So now I would have to play with 150 ping in NA servers? Lol, no thanks. (insurgency standalone has a pretty large following in HUE, btw)

Shame, guess I ain't picking up any new fps after all...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom