Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Realms Beyond Kickstarter Update #5: Lore Update #1 - Pyrrhenia

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Ceres Games; Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen

Today's Realms Beyond Kickstarter update is the first in a series of updates that will introduce the various nations of the game world. Ceres are anxious to show that their game just isn't generic medieval fantasy, so they've chosen to start with the Ancient Greece-inspired realm of Pyrrhennia. It's a former empire that has recently risen again in the wake of the setting's Great Cataclysm. The player will get to visit the Pyrrhennian city-state of Villenia, which is the cultural (but not political) capital of the revived nation.

Many centuries ago, the city states of Pyrrhenia ruled over a massive empire. Their settlers had colonized new shores all along the coast, and their ships had even crossed the ocean to find a strange new world in the west, of which now only memories remain. In the years before the Great Cataclysm, however, Pyrrhenia had been a subject of the Kingdom of Cormac, the zenith of its power long past and now a mere shadow of its former glory.

But in the chaos of the Great Cataclysm, the Pyrrhenian cities declared independence and became free once more. Pyrrhenian lands were largely spared by the catastrophe, and the newly autonomous city states became the centers of a Pyrrhenian renaissance, foremost of all the city of Villenia.

Even though on paper the Pyrrhenian Empire has been restored, with an emperor and a senate made up of representatives of each city state seated in the ancient capital of Tregara, in truth the city states act as independent entities and are in fierce competition with each other.

In Realms Beyond, the player will visit the city state of Villenia, heart of the Pyrrhenian rebirth, where – as High Oracle Andraste told us above – everything conforms to the divine order of the cosmos.

The society of Villenia is divided into three distinct social classes: the craftsmen, the seafarers, and the soldiers. This division is reflected in Villenia’s government, as it is not ruled by a single entity, but by three so-called Tutharchs who each rule over their respective social class. The Tutharch of craftsmen inherits his position from his predecessor; the Tutharch of soldiers is elected by his subjects; and the Tutharch of the seafarers is determined by a contest of wits, skill, and physical fitness.

In the eyes of every proud Villenian, this system embodies the divine order of the cosmos, where every man and woman is at the place the gods have decreed for them. But some voices of criticism can also be heard, claiming the lack of social mobility between the three classes is unfair… but such voices speak folly, as what could be more just than the order decreed by the gods?

In Pyrrhenia, you will find many ruined temples and palaces in the wilderness, the remains of settlements abandoned centuries ago. During the Cormacian occupation, many old monuments fell into disrepair. Now they serve as hideouts for bandits and sinister cults operating in secret, far from the prying eyes of the populated cities. Artifacts of Pyrrhenia’s glory days can still be found in some of the ruins and fetch a high price in the newly independent city states, where the people adore their ancient culture.

In the cities, you will find many well-maintained temples where priests and priestesses hold regular service to the gods. Marble floors, pillars, and plenty of statues decorate these sacred places. Similar to the temples is the architecture of the palaces of nobles and rich merchants: roofs supported by pillars, statues of the resident’s ancestors, beautiful murals on the walls.

When you visit the great city of Villenia, you will be able to experience Pyrrhenian culture at its greatest. You can go to the theater and watch skilled actors play out ancient dramas written by Pyrrhenia’s greatest poets. You can visit one of the many taverns and watch girls dressed in gowns of flowing silk dance to the tune of the lute as you drink a cup of mulled wine. Or you can relax in one of the city’s public bathhouses, where the water is kept warm by an elaborate system of pipes beneath the floor.

As an adventurer, many opportunities await you in the realm of Pyrrhenia. Explore ancient ruins from a legendary past in the hopes of finding artifacts that once belonged to mythic heroes. Assist intrepid explorers and merchants in their dangerous journeys across sea and land. And finally, spend your hard-earned coin on the luxuries offered by glorious Villenia, heart of the Pyrrhenian rebirth!
The update seems to imply that the other Pyrrhenian cities will not be accessible to the player. I wonder how that'll work. I guess this is where the post-release expansions that were mentioned in the RPGWatch preview might come in.

Mustawd

combines zoomable 2D and 3D technology to bring never-before-seen levels of detail to life in massive, hand-crafted levels

Didn’t PoE already do this?

An epic background story, massive quests, uncounted missions

So you didn’t count them? You literally don’t know how many missions there are?

HobGoblin42 who wrote this? Please tell them or yourself that they (or you) are retarded.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
16517_500.jpg

PE2_Luminous_Main.png

Looks like they've stolen the bathhouse from PoE2 only to make it smaller. Also, in PoE2 people are actually nude when they bathe, not some dressed up shit.

Dr Schultz

Augur
As far as I understand History, it's a little implausible that in the Pyrrhennia empire priestes are the guarauntors of the social order while not being part of the rulling class.

Other than that, interesting update

Last edited:

jungl

Augur
Celtic mythology come on thats so lazy I bet your game has elves

Jarl, you do release that your average player will just think that you, or whoever wrote this, just ripped off the name from Dragon Age, right? If you want the game to sell, you need to take normies into account. And the Dragon Age is way more known to your average gamer Joe/Jane than Celtic mythology. Not to mention if you (or whomever) based the cultures on some our world historical civilization, it again will remind everyone of Dragon Age (and also PoE, but it was so forgettable that it probably won't matter).

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jarl, you do release that your average player will just think that you, or whoever wrote this, just ripped off the name from Dragon Age, right? If you want the game to sell, you need to take normies into account. And the Dragon Age is way more known to your average gamer Joe/Jane than Celtic mythology. Not to mention if you (or whomever) based the cultures on some our world historical civilization, it again will remind everyone of Dragon Age (and also PoE, but it was so forgettable that it probably won't matter).

I didn't write that character, but when I saw her name I didn't think of Dragon Age at all. Didn't even remember that name from Dragon Age, and I doubt the writer who came up with this character thought of it, either.

Was she really so important in the game?

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik

They could use Etsardna instead. Cunning move.

Didn't even remember that name from Dragon Age

Yeah, probably most don't remember at all what was in game. I'm don't e.g., because game is totally forgettable.

Mustawd

I didn't write that character, but when I saw her name I didn't think of Dragon Age at all. Didn't even remember that name from Dragon Age, and I doubt the writer who came up with this character thought of it, either.

I have no idea who Stainless Veteran is talking about.

Drowed

Arcane

A bit. Most people who played Dragon Age will certainly make the association, yeah.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
There's a whole main quest branch about finding her ashes, and it feels like half the game's population keeps name dropping her. And there are huge-ass statues and paintings of her everywhere. She's on many of the loading screens too. And the title of the DA:I protagonist is "Herald of Andraste".

And where DA's Andraste was the prophet of a god, this "High Oracle Andraste" is described as a prophet of the gods.

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Those who didn't forget this slog yet.
What I really remmeber ishow outrageous was camera, and how grindy was design. Worst game ever.

Tigranes

Arcane
Who even remembers anything from Dragon Age?

I'm always down for some good Greek stuff. If anything, Pyrrhenia is way more 'too-familiar', but I don't find that a big deal either.

Tigranes

Arcane
Looks like they've stolen the bathhouse from PoE2 only to make it smaller. Also, in PoE2 people are actually nude when they bathe, not some dressed up shit.

Or you know they both looked at historical bathhouses, unlike some dumbass who only has other video games for reference

images

(Thermae Diocletiani)

She was the game(s) Arian Christ, albeit female and mixed with Virgin Mary. NPCs constantly used her name, and yeah, BEvers is right, there were quite a few quests tied to her, her relics and related titles.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Andraste is an ancient Celtic goddess. Don't know why you keep referring to that 'Dragon Age'.

Septaryeth

Augur
The name sounds familiar and I couldn't quite remember where I've seen it. Heck at first I misread it as "Astarte".
And this comes from the retard who refused to play anything from Bioware after he received the said head damage from DA2.

I doubt the target audience of this game will make a fuss out of it, and people who enjoy DAI will not pick up these kickstarter games anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom