Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.trine4.com

https://af.gog.com/game/trine_4_the_nightmare_prince?as=1649904300
https://af.gog.com/game/trine_4_melody_of_mystery?as=1649904300

:necro:

European Commission grant list reveled the existence of Trine 4: https://gematsu.com/2018/10/europea...rthlock-2-and-other-independent-game-projects

They received 150K euro and it's 15% of the budget.

(Also what is Spacebase Startopia from the developer of Dungeons? Is THAT Startopia game or what?)

Last edited by a moderator:
(Also what is Spacebase Startopia from the developer of Dungeons? Is THAT Startopia game or what?)
Now THAT would be some goddamn news. Although from what I've heard the Dungeons developer has kinda moved away from the ant farm more hands-off approach which might be fucky with Startopia given it's even more hands-off than Dungeon Keeper, but hey. I'd be excited for another Startopia. Especially if they get another pleasing soundtrack.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
This time is with an indie publisher. This is "going to be the best in the series" according to CEO of Frozenbyte.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/press...sher_Modus_to_Publish_Frozenbytes_Trine_4.php

Triple I Video Game Publisher Modus to Publish Frozenbyte’s Trine 4

October 24, 2018 – Walnut Creek, CA – Premier indie video game publisher Modus Games today announced their partnership with Frozenbyte to release Trine 4 next year for PlayStationâ4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and PC.

The fantasy action series has sold over 8 million copies worldwide and has been consistently praised since its first game, Trine, released in 2009. Over the past three years since its last installment, fans have voiced their desire for another title from the popular franchise, and 2019 will see their wishes materialize.

“We are absolutely thrilled to embark on this journey with Frozenbyte,” said Christina Seelye, CEO of Modus Games. “There’s no doubt Trine 4 will be the game players have been asking for.”

Trine 4 is going to be the best in the series,” said Lauri Hyvärinen, CEO of Frozenbyte. “We have rekindled our love for the franchise, heard and seen the fan feedback, and our hearts are set on exceeding those expectations. Trine is back!”

To learn more about Trine 4, visit www.trine4.com.

###

Trine 4 is supported by the Creative Europe Programme - MEDIA of the European Union.

About Modus Games

Modus is a premier global publisher of video games across all major physical and digital entertainment platforms. The label prides itself on collaborating with talented developers around the world to bring innovative games to the masses. For inquiries, please email press@modusgames.com.

About Frozenbyte

Frozenbyte is an independent game developer with a focus on game quality. All Frozenbyte games are self-funded and based on self-owned IP, and the company maintains a creative, feel-good development culture. Frozenbyte's original IP titles include the critically acclaimed Shadowgrounds and Trine series. For more information, visit http://frozenbyte.com.

DemonKing

Arcane
Trine 3 wasn't completely terrible but was nowhere near as good as Trine 1/2. Maybe they learnt their lesson but I can't think of too many times a relatively poor entry in a series has been followed up by a masterpiece...

RuySan

Augur
Isnt trine 3 crap?

I liked it. People complained it was too short, but since i have so many games to play and not enough time, i didn't mind. Besides, most games are way too long nowadays.
i thought it was because they went from 2.5 D to full 3D hack and slash or something, the transition was bad.

Trine 1&2 were very much alike. I preferred the experimentation because i was burned out of the formula.

Ivan

Arcane

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Experience the most complete Trine ever created!
The Trine series returns to the magic of 2.5D with Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince! The three heroes of the best-selling adventure series are back, sent on a quest to retrieve the troubled young Prince Selius. Amadeus the Wizard, Pontius the Knight, and Zoya the Thief are joined together once again on a thrilling quest through fantastical fairytale landscapes teeming with danger.

Prince Selius suffers from intensely dark dreams and, due to his magical talents, monstrous nightmares are able to slip into reality and wreak havoc on the waking world. Amadeus, Pontius, and Zoya must find the afflicted prince and resolve the desperate situation before the world is engulfed by the Nightmare Prince's shadows.

Trine 4 reaches new heights in the series, bringing the most complete gameplay experience ever to fans and new players alike!

Key Features
  • Gorgeous, 2.5D landscapes. Explore uniquely designed levels in beautiful, 2.5 dimensions, from breathtaking ruins and haunted tombs to tranquil birch groves and blueberry forests.
  • Local and online multiplayer. Play with up to 4 players online or in local co-op.
  • Captivating storytelling. Follow the story of a haunted prince as you journey through magical fairytale landscapes inhabited by friendly creatures, as well as a host of nightmarish foes.
  • Dynamic puzzle-solving. Solve puzzles - solo or with friends - that feature fire, air, light, magnets, electricity and more, with challenges tailored to the number of players.
  • Abundant skill trees. Unlock diverse abilities and amazing new skills.
  • Completely revamped combat system. Experience the heroes' own bloodcurdling nightmares in boss fights featuring an enriched combat system with fresh challenges and thrilling action!
  • Enchanting soundtrack. Enjoy a wondrous soundtrack with songs that bring life to each new environment.

Solid Snail

Learned
Considering the scam Trine 3 was (and purchased it via Steam and not in a bundle), I won't fall in their trap this time.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The original Trine was great for its time... which was a decade ago. While the gameplay was nothing special the visuals and music propelled it to the top tier of indie games. In the interim, however, the market has become glutted with puzzle platformers. I played Trine 2 but don't believe I finished it (only 5ish hours as opposed to 15ish hours for the first game). Never bought Trine 3 probably because it was never in a good bundle.

Trine 4 looks good. Emphasis on looks. But I have no desire to pay full retail for another puzzle platformer based on its graphics and music. I can just download the soundtrack.

A Shadowgrounds game with the art and sound of Trine (genre appropriate) would actually be amazing.

The problem with Trine 3 is that going full 3D destroyed their budget. It was costing more and taking more work than they had expected. By the time they realized they were fucked they had the choice of either releasing something kind of short and rushed, or just giving up and cancelling it. So they wrapped it up and released what they had.

For what it's worth I think Trine 3 was pretty good in the content it did have, and if they'd had the budget to do it full length it could have turned out really well. That said it makes sense for them to go back to 2.5D.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamesn.com/trine-4-the-nightmare-prince/trine-4-impressions

Trine 4 is meant to be a nightmare but it’s a co-op puzzling dream
The Nightmare Prince sees Frozenbyte’s series become much darker than it was before

trine-4-900x506.jpg

It’s felt like an age since we last visited the fantastical world of Trine. The first game was released back in 2009, followed by Trine 2 in 2011, and then Trine 3: The Artifacts of Power in 2015. Now, four years later, Frozenbyte is once again opening the pages of its fairytale book so that Zoya the thief, Amadeus the wizard, and Pontius the knight can reunite for Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince.

Trine is known for its whimsical world, fantastical story, and most importantly, its delicate co-op puzzles. Being able to switch between Zoya’s bow, Amamdeus’ magical powers, and Pontius’s sword and shield gives you a wealth of combinations to try out when overcoming each conundrum – whether that’s feeding a gigantic frog, stopping the flow of lava, or finding a workaround for a broken elevator. At this point in the series, fans should know the various techniques for beating a puzzle – Frozenbyte even has names for them.

I’m shown one puzzle that can be easily bested using the ‘elevator’ technique. This is achieved by using Zoya to connect two objects using her grappling hook, with one end of the rope tied to a platform, and the other to a cube conjured by Amadeus. Using the cube as a counterweight, you place the characters on the platform and let the cube drop, causing them to be lifted into the air – a makeshift elevator that gets you to otherwise unreachable parts of the level.

This established roster of tricks and techniques is being used as a springboard for players to launch themselves into experimentation in Trine 4. Frozenbyte wants players to find new ways to solve puzzles, and so has deliberately designed challenges to encourage new approaches, and has even changed puzzles according to whether the game’s being played in single-player or multiplayer. “We’ve never done this in a Trine game before,” marketing manager Kai Tuovinen tells me. “The dynamics and solutions of the puzzles are different so you can replay the levels.”

Frozenbyte previously tried to change the Trine formula up by boldly moving away from the side-scrolling format with Trine 3. It wasn’t received so well by fans, so in the wake of that, the studio has decided to retrace its steps for Trine 4. “We’ve returned to our roots in terms of design,” Tuovinen explains. “We looked at all three games and decided to take the 2.5D style of Trine 1 and Trine 2 and work it into the puzzle design.” Those who miss the left-to-right puzzle platforming shenanigans of the first two games can leap for joy, then.

Although Frozenbyte has backtracked, the studio is charging forward elsewhere, in particular with its new and enchanting tale. To mix it up, it’s a little more on the dark side of fantasy than previous Trine games. “The story revolves around a prince called Selius,” Tuovinen says. “Selius suffers from intense dark dreams that are bringing his nightmares into the waking world and threatening everyone with chaos. It’s up to the heroes to save the day and return to the Astral Academy of wizards who will help resolve the situation.”

Nightmares and dreams are at the heart of this Trine installment, then, which is why all the enemies you meet are ghostly spectres. To be specific, they’re the fears of the game’s cute woodland characters made manifest. On their adventure, the heroic trio meet a friendly badger whose house has been invaded by these nightmares. On further inspection it seems as though their woodland friend has a problem with his prickly neighbours, as the nightmares are conjured as vicious looking hedgehogs, complete with razor sharp teeth.

“One of the nice things we’ve had a chance to do, since it has been a few years between the previous Trine game, is to move the game to a new version of our engine and the graphics renderer,” Tuovinen explains. “There’s a lot of features like lighting and particle effects that give our artists more things to do.”

Puzzles are designed within a single screen, meaning that backgrounds are framed in a way that maximises the aesthetics. Every puzzle has a scene behind it like a cosy badger’s home filled with bits and bobs, a gloomy cavern with neon mushrooms, or a landscape soaked in orange from a sunset. Each section looks like it’s a detailed illustration straight out of a children’s story book. And every stage has a glow about it that fans will know well, as if everything has just appeared with a puff of magic, twinkling in pleasant hues.

The Trine series is at its best when capturing a sense of magic. It’s there when a huge creature of fantasy emerges in sparkling form to take up half the screen. And it’s there when you suddenly discover a smart solution to a puzzle that’s had you and a partner stuck for a whole ten minutes. What I’ve played of Trine 4 so far has me confident that it’ll continue that legacy.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
What are some other examples of series where developers tried to change the formula, it backfired and blew up in their face, and they actually admitted and then reverted to the previous working and good formula of the games before the attempt to change things? Trine 3 felt like a major case of "It's not broken, so stop trying to fucking fix it." where the 3D was concerned. What they could do better is improving combat and puzzle design.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
What are some other examples of series where developers tried to change the formula, it backfired and blew up in their face, and they actually admitted and then reverted to the previous working and good formula of the games before the attempt to change things?.

Devil May Cry

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom