Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

GinsengSamurai

Literate
I'm disappointed that the Fallout franchise has headed in this direction. I KNEW this was going to happen one day, but had hoped it wouldn't be so blatant.

I enjoyed the first bit of Fallout 4, but ultimately, never finished it. Can't stand the first person build mode, due to head bob and motion sickness, but found a way to play in third person. I liked Fallout 3 and loved NV. Fallout 1 and 2 will always be the best in my opinion.

GinsengSamurai

Literate
I am starting to have a bad feeling about Bethesda acquiring the Fallout IP.
It took you this long to start? I would have figured most people would have stopped feeling bad about it and started feeling apathetic towards it.

But I guess we are on page 90

Fallout 3 wasn't bad in my opinion, but you're right about Fallout and Bethesda. However, what do you think of the Elder Scrolls games? They did a pretty good job with Morrowind and Skyrim me thinks.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
9a04099a-54dd-4a89-913d-c7e0e165e57b.png

I think this guy played the Fallout 76 beta.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah, John Denver and the Beach Boys, two groups that totally make me think of the retro 50s vibe of Fallout. Doing a great job with that marketing, Pete.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Actually, after reviewing the comments and ratings here, I'm going to say that the live action trailer is the BEST trailer created, EVER, for anything!

It manages to both appeal to chads who love cracking open cold ones and gaming it up with their bros, while pushing away cuck virgin codex soyboys lorebeard neckbeard shitdicks at the same time!

It's brilliant! 1337/10

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
As someone who's never made it through a Fallout game, I'm loving Fallout 76's loneliness

No NPCs is just fine by me

After just a few Fallout 76 beta sessions on Xbox One, I've already put more time into this wasteland than any other game in the Fallout series. It's not that I was ever opposed to Bethesda's mega-popular open worlds, or the Interplay RPGs that predate them; I've always adored their retro-future stylings and old-timey music. But I bounced right off Fallout: New Vegas and Fallout 4 like a makeshift bullet off power armor, whirling away to other games after just a few short hours. Now that I've dabbled in - and come to adore - Fallout 76, I think I know the reason West Virginia has sucked me in: there aren't any NPCs populating the countryside. And though some find themselves missing quest-givers and chatty townsfolk, I'm delighted to finally live out the fantasy of the truly lone wanderer.

It's amazing how the presence of virtual people can frame the way you spend your in-game time. When an NPC is desperately pleading for your assistance, or you're on a rescue mission after receiving a distress signal, there's a definite urgency to your newfound quest. But the many audio logs and hand-written notes you'll recover in Fallout 76 lack any kind of time-sensitivity, because - morbid though it may be - whoever recorded them is already dead or gone. Without any pressure to come to the aid of your fellow vault dwellers or a potential new ally, you're free to explore the wilderness at your own pace. In my case, that personal pace is glacially slow, as I run off in random directions chasing curiosities. I wonder what's in that building? What kind of enemy is darting around in the distance? And will I be able to kill it?

Speaking of killing, wanton violence takes on a different tone in Fallout 76; unless you're griefing other players, you really can't harm the innocent. That's less a philosophical musing and more a realization that pretty much every humanoid enemy type out there (I've encountered charred Scorched and menacing Ghouls so far) will try to terminate you on sight. Call me naive, but I didn't see the need to immediately attack every raider I saw in Fallouts past. Maybe they were scrappy survivors pushed to the brink by the bombed-out state of the world, and didn't deserve to die by my hand. But when a Scorched cries out and starts gunning at me the moment I approach, they've given me every right to end their miserable existence. Like the Splicers in BioShock, it's hard to feel too bad about blasting these poor souls in self-defense. The unfortunate circumstances that brought them to their current, grotesquely mutated state are ghastly - but when they're trying to rip out your throat just for inching towards them, what choice do you have?

Free for the taking
Fallout 76's lack of karmic good or bad also has a profound effect on one of the wasteland's most prevalent past times: looting everything that isn't welded to the ground. While leaning into the roleplaying of Fallout 4, I had a hard time justifying ransacking each and every abandoned encampment I came across. What if I had stumbled onto someone's makeshift home while they were out foraging for food, or answering nature's call in some nearby bushes? What gave me the right to snatch up every edible morsel, comic book, weapon, Nuka Cola, and teddy bear they had lying around their humble abode, before booking it with my pockets full to the brim? But if you grab something in Fallout 76's long-ago lived-in locations, no one's going to miss it. It's not stealing from the dead - it's survival. I can play into my packrat sensibilities guilt-free, picking every place clean so I can scrap the junk and convert random knick-knacks into precious crafting materials. Relatedly, the way Fallout 76 simplifies crafting is a godsend, as it's far more intuitive to break down items in bulk at a crafting station rather than storing junk that's somehow converted into raw materials behind the scenes.

As for a lack of companions, I'm perfectly comfortable exploring the post-apocalypse on my own. No shade to Fallout 4's cast of supporting characters, but I've a certain compulsion to hear everything my AI compadres have to say, even at the expense of my own forward momentum or moment-to-moment entertainment. Without any backstories to absorb or chitchat to wade through, I'm free to focus on taking in the lay of the land and soaking up the purposely desolate atmosphere. On the rare occasions that I've run into other players during the beta, we would typically glance at one another, possibly emote, and then simply move on with our own adventures - and I intend to keep it that way on the path to max level. Plus, with no one to talk to, there's never any interruption of all the wonderful tunes playing 24/7 on Appalachia Radio.

With such minimal series experience, I've no context for how Fallout 76’s online world is the perfect way to explore its prequel setting - I'm just glad that you can effectively enjoy Fallout 76 single-player by evading events. And with nothing out in the world that requires my immediate attention or action, I'm free to play how I please, which is what I come to RPGs for. If the mood strikes, I can boot up a HoloTape game of Nuka Tapper, attempt a treehouse obstacle course, or gaze in horrified awe at a mothman shrine, taking all the time I need. No one will be returning home dismayed that all their irradiated possessions have gone missing, or anxiously tapping their watch while they wait to be saved from a pack of mutated wolves. To quote the melancholic melody of 'We Three' by The Ink Spots, Fallout 76 stars "my echo, my shadow, and me" - and I wouldn't have it any other way.

To make sure you survive out there, check out our 16 essential Fallout 76 tips to know before you play.

https://www.gamesradar.com/as-someo...allout-game-im-loving-fallout-76s-loneliness/

ZeniBot

Cipher
As someone who's never made it through a Fallout game, I'm loving Fallout 76's loneliness

"Fallout 76 takes out most of its features and that's a good thing" the article.
I'm free to play how I please, which is what I come to RPGs for. If the mood strikes, I can boot up a HoloTape game of Nuka Tapper, attempt a treehouse obstacle course, or gaze in horrified awe at a mothman shrine, taking all the time I need
Ya know, RPGs, Where instead of leveling up your character, participating as a role in a dynamic game world with a computer dungeon/game master, doing epic quests and saving the world
nah fuck that shit, obstacle courses and mini-games.. you know RPGS!!!!

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

No NPCs is just fine by me

After just a few Fallout 76 beta sessions on Xbox One, I've already put more time into this wasteland than any other game in the Fallout series. It's not that I was ever opposed to Bethesda's mega-popular open worlds, or the Interplay RPGs that predate them; I've always adored their retro-future stylings and old-timey music. But I bounced right off Fallout: New Vegas and Fallout 4 like a makeshift bullet off power armor, whirling away to other games after just a few short hours. Now that I've dabbled in - and come to adore - Fallout 76, I think I know the reason West Virginia has sucked me in: there aren't any NPCs populating the countryside. And though some find themselves missing quest-givers and chatty townsfolk, I'm delighted to finally live out the fantasy of the truly lone wanderer.

It's amazing how the presence of virtual people can frame the way you spend your in-game time. When an NPC is desperately pleading for your assistance, or you're on a rescue mission after receiving a distress signal, there's a definite urgency to your newfound quest. But the many audio logs and hand-written notes you'll recover in Fallout 76 lack any kind of time-sensitivity, because - morbid though it may be - whoever recorded them is already dead or gone. Without any pressure to come to the aid of your fellow vault dwellers or a potential new ally, you're free to explore the wilderness at your own pace. In my case, that personal pace is glacially slow, as I run off in random directions chasing curiosities. I wonder what's in that building? What kind of enemy is darting around in the distance? And will I be able to kill it?

Speaking of killing, wanton violence takes on a different tone in Fallout 76; unless you're griefing other players, you really can't harm the innocent. That's less a philosophical musing and more a realization that pretty much every humanoid enemy type out there (I've encountered charred Scorched and menacing Ghouls so far) will try to terminate you on sight. Call me naive, but I didn't see the need to immediately attack every raider I saw in Fallouts past. Maybe they were scrappy survivors pushed to the brink by the bombed-out state of the world, and didn't deserve to die by my hand. But when a Scorched cries out and starts gunning at me the moment I approach, they've given me every right to end their miserable existence. Like the Splicers in BioShock, it's hard to feel too bad about blasting these poor souls in self-defense. The unfortunate circumstances that brought them to their current, grotesquely mutated state are ghastly - but when they're trying to rip out your throat just for inching towards them, what choice do you have?

Free for the taking
Fallout 76's lack of karmic good or bad also has a profound effect on one of the wasteland's most prevalent past times: looting everything that isn't welded to the ground. While leaning into the roleplaying of Fallout 4, I had a hard time justifying ransacking each and every abandoned encampment I came across. What if I had stumbled onto someone's makeshift home while they were out foraging for food, or answering nature's call in some nearby bushes? What gave me the right to snatch up every edible morsel, comic book, weapon, Nuka Cola, and teddy bear they had lying around their humble abode, before booking it with my pockets full to the brim? But if you grab something in Fallout 76's long-ago lived-in locations, no one's going to miss it. It's not stealing from the dead - it's survival. I can play into my packrat sensibilities guilt-free, picking every place clean so I can scrap the junk and convert random knick-knacks into precious crafting materials. Relatedly, the way Fallout 76 simplifies crafting is a godsend, as it's far more intuitive to break down items in bulk at a crafting station rather than storing junk that's somehow converted into raw materials behind the scenes.

As for a lack of companions, I'm perfectly comfortable exploring the post-apocalypse on my own. No shade to Fallout 4's cast of supporting characters, but I've a certain compulsion to hear everything my AI compadres have to say, even at the expense of my own forward momentum or moment-to-moment entertainment. Without any backstories to absorb or chitchat to wade through, I'm free to focus on taking in the lay of the land and soaking up the purposely desolate atmosphere. On the rare occasions that I've run into other players during the beta, we would typically glance at one another, possibly emote, and then simply move on with our own adventures - and I intend to keep it that way on the path to max level. Plus, with no one to talk to, there's never any interruption of all the wonderful tunes playing 24/7 on Appalachia Radio.

With such minimal series experience, I've no context for how Fallout 76’s online world is the perfect way to explore its prequel setting - I'm just glad that you can effectively enjoy Fallout 76 single-player by evading events. And with nothing out in the world that requires my immediate attention or action, I'm free to play how I please, which is what I come to RPGs for. If the mood strikes, I can boot up a HoloTape game of Nuka Tapper, attempt a treehouse obstacle course, or gaze in horrified awe at a mothman shrine, taking all the time I need. No one will be returning home dismayed that all their irradiated possessions have gone missing, or anxiously tapping their watch while they wait to be saved from a pack of mutated wolves. To quote the melancholic melody of 'We Three' by The Ink Spots, Fallout 76 stars "my echo, my shadow, and me" - and I wouldn't have it any other way.

To make sure you survive out there, check out our 16 essential Fallout 76 tips to know before you play.

https://www.gamesradar.com/as-someo...allout-game-im-loving-fallout-76s-loneliness/

Nice! And there will be many more positive reviews to come!

:)

LizardWizard

Cipher
"PC #Fallout76 B.E.T.A. players: We are aware of an issue with the client and are investigating. Do not click any buttons on the client for the time being."

preloads are deleting themselves

:deathclaw:

redactir

Artist Formerly Known as Prosper
Well boys, beta begins in 30 minutes and thus begins my journey through the greatest game every conceived by man.

As I take my first step into the Co-Op world of FO76, I'd like to say to all of you; kiss my ass you rotten motherfuckas

cool. can i come?

Myobi

Liturgist
Well boys, beta begins in 30 minutes and thus begins my journey through the greatest game every conceived by man.

As I take my first step into the Co-Op world of FO76, I'd like to say to all of you; kiss my ass you rotten motherfuckas

cool. can i come?

As long as you re-download the entire game again, because for some reason the launcher decided to delete everything people had pre-loaded before, rofl xD

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom