Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyanide's Call of Cthulhu - "RPG-Investigation" game based on tabletop ruleset

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The fact that you apparently can't fight in this game is an immediate negative for me though; the CoC RPG does allow you to fight. Yes its dangerous and highly lethal, but if you want to take out a couple of cultists with a pistol, a baseball bat, or even your fists you have that option. You can also destroy them with spells.
The P&P game also lets you be an accountant or an electrician. Why aren't you complaining about those missing skills I wonder?

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
That gamefaqs thread linked here said there are guns and combat in the latter part of the game, it's just not the focus and I assume it is only viable against other humans.

Repressed Homosexual
Will wait for the Humanity has risen! review. HHR is an afficando of first person horrors.

The fact that you apparently can't fight in this game is an immediate negative for me though; the CoC RPG does allow you to fight. Yes its dangerous and highly lethal, but if you want to take out a couple of cultists with a pistol, a baseball bat, or even your fists you have that option. You can also destroy them with spells.

That solo RPG from the 90s that takes place in the creepy cthulhu like house was the most CoC inspired RPG i've ever played btw. Shame a game so old had so much more depth, and killer graphics too back in the day. This game you can't even generate your own character.

Well sadly I still have heavy dry eye, so I don't play complex 3D games anymore until it is healed significantly, except on the small screen on my Nintendo Switch.

However, I did play Cyanide's Game of Thrones game, which was surprisingly great, had an excellent plot and totally nailed the GoT universe. So I totally trust the developers to do Lovecraft justice. They will not make the greatest game in the world, no, but they will not let us down.

Beowulf

Arcane
It's in the RPG subforum.
Perhaps after shooting enemies you will see floating damage numbers indicating deep RPG systems.

Have faith in our Jewish overlord's judgement.

Barbarian

Arcane
Wait, why is "no combat" the talk here? I thought combat was an option sometimes but usually not the best one? In line with the lore?

Also 8 hours? Wasn't it 16+ with sidequests and playing support characters?

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/10/29/call-of-cthulhu-review/

promising characters disappear without closure to their arcs, and minor ones receive blink-and-you’ll-miss-it cameos later on that they didn’t need. You put together a Scooby Doo team that is almost immediately disbanded. It Was All A Dream segments break up entire chapters where you don’t even play as Pierce, but it’s okay because the other people still have his ability to imaginate their way through investigations. The sanity metric (let’s not) turns out to be almost meaningless, as an unavoidable plot point in the game renders you ‘Psychotic’ anyway. Occasionally you get asked to choose to save or kill a citizen, but you do not see the ramifications of same. These join several plot points that are left unresolved, flapping around untethered like the arms of a dying octopus. Then you get given a gun for a bit. Then it gets taken away again. The final, pivotal choice in the game wasn’t that difficult for me, because I’d run out of all reasons to care.

Basically they confirm what I feared: the parts they showed off in previews are great because the rest of it is shit

DemonKing

Arcane
Lot's of reviews out now averaging around 6/10. Seems to be a pretty typical Cyanide game - rough and ready but ok if you're interested in the setting. The GoT RPG was surprisingly good given I'm a big fan of the books so I suspect if you're a Cthulu fan this might scratch a similar itch.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wait, why is "no combat" the talk here? I thought combat was an option sometimes but usually not the best one? In line with the lore?
The RPS excerpt above is in line with what was announced a few months ago: there are times you may have access to a weapon or two but "combat" isn't really a thing.

Barbarian

Arcane
Also the wymmin reviewer whining about character archs and plot threads "not being closed" probably missed on optional content for being dumb.

The devs promise c&c and optional content, I assume they deliver on it at least somewhat, specially on the latter.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
played for about an hour or so, enjoying it so far.. the atmosphere is nice.. Only into Ch. 2 so the beginning pretty much but I've played a bit in the starting area... I like how finding things opens up conversation options with various people around and how skills influence what you can talk about.. Interesting to see how much skills actually play a part, I've heard some say not much but already in the first area I have to get into a warehouse and the most obvious option is to talk to the crime boss who controls the area but if you accept their proposal you will have to owe them a favor later.. not sure if that actually matters or happens or not but I was like nah bitch I'm good... went and talked to the harbormaster he says all the warehouses are connected via sewers so I look around and see some place that has a gate to a sewer looking area, have to find items to fix a winch and pulley system to open it and then pass a strength skill check to turn the handle and lift the gate, so I start to turn it and it is working but then the fucking shit breaks and the game gives me a sub-objective of "find some help to get inside..."
:negative:

no idea if it is a pure strength check or a dice roll modified by your str.. I wondered if it wasn't just part of the game and it always happens and I found a video on youtube of someone opening it, going down there and finding some weird occult shit and getting in that way. I need to investigate that occult shit man.. the only way to level up medicine or occultism outside of the beginning distribution is to find and interact with those things in the world...
:negative:
also the game autosaves and there is no way to save scum from what I can see. There is no way to manual save all of your c&c is locked in.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The French and the Turks both refusing to allow people to game their systems, eh. :M

From a glance the game seems interesting enough but this main character is really ruining it for me. He looks like generic Captain Hawke #9124 and talks like an annoying loud mouth whose response to tense situations is to talk even more. He doesn't come across as a natural investigator type ("listen twice as much as you speak"), the type of introvert who spends all of their time alone, is slightly neurotic and the kind of person who is at risk of looking too deeply into the dark unknown. To spend the entire game in the company of this guy is probably too much for me

Barbarian

Arcane
Still about 1 hour until release here in hueland. Will post my impressions once I get to download and play it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom