Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Celebrating Halloween, Kerberos Productions (Sword of the Stars, The Pit) re-released their 2009 zombie game Fort Zombie on Steam:

ss_df63b8568c8c930b44ef2ebbf5939e7f169c3901.600x338.jpg
ss_3e559e1d821ad044e5c3c69ce5a7bce0f124ecb8.600x338.jpg

NINE YEARS LATER...
Fort Zombie originally saw limited release on three digital download platforms, two of which are long defunct. Missing for the last couple of years, there have been regular requests to offer it again. This download is the original game from 2009, which should run on most modern systems. It is offered here for the players and modders who requested a clean, legal copy of the original code. NO FURTHER UPDATES ARE PLANNED BY THE DEVELOPERS.

PRODUCT NOTES
The game supports keyboard and mouse on a standard PC screen. Your camera and inventory controls shift from FPS to isometric like many modern RPG’s.

This product is the last public build released several years ago and is offered as is.

ABOUT THIS GAME
FORT ZOMBIE IS BACK!

Back by popular demand, the ground-breaking cult classic indie game that kick-started the modern Zombie Survival genre: Fort Zombie.

“We have one chance. Find a strong place, and band together. Build our defenses. Gather supplies. Arm ourselves for the fight and save as many souls as we can. Take back our town, our lives, our world from the hungry dark.

That wave will break over this town like a tsunami and take the last of us with them… unless we fight back.”

NOTE: THIS GAME IS THE ORIGINAL LEGACY CODE FROM 2009, RELEASED SPECIFICALLY FOR THE PLAYERS WHO WANTED ACCESS TO IT.

WARNING: NO FURTHER UPDATES are planned for this version of Fort Zombie.

Fort Zombie was released in 2009 as a game without a genre: no one had ever attempted this combination of game mechanics before! It is a focused-scope, casual single-player RPG and strategy title of survival during an epic zombie Apocalypse.

The game world revolves around a single building – your Fort. Secure your base of operations and then spend the game visiting the mission-specific chunks of Piety, Indiana, the small American town that surrounds you. Search for weapons, supplies, ammunition and the most important resource of all—fellow Survivors.
Instead of a major city or a sprawling countryside, the player must focus effort on building up a single structure, finding and training Survivors to battle zombies, and venturing out into town on missions…all while the clock ticks steadily down toward zero hour, when an Apocalyptic wave of zombies from a neighboring city will crash over the town.

Targeted directly at the after-work gamer, Fort Zombie was the first debut of many game concepts and features that would be picked up and popularized in the games that followed afterward, including Day Z, Project Zomboid, Dead Rising, State of Decay.

Features
  • Choose one of three buildings – the school, the prison, and the police station – as your Fort Zombie, each one with its own strengths and weaknesses!
  • Real time movement and combat keep the tensions level high while trying to achieve objectives before your characters run out of ammunition, food, or luck!
  • Dozens of zombie types, some with special abilities derived from their half-remembered lives before becoming undead!
  • Piety, Indiana, a variable 3D town, created using Kerberos’ mix-and-match tile system, for maximum replayability. PhysX® engine adds to the mayhem!
  • Dozens of town locations to search (stores, restaurants, gas stations, ruins, homes) and countless items to find and use in building up The Fort or building up your group characters (food, fuel, generators, tools, guns, etc.)
  • “Collectible” NPC’s and Survivor families give players access to the Lore of the game, and unlock surprising new abilities—try to find them all!

Also they released a FPS sequel to The Pit as Early Access few days ago:

Celebrating Halloween, Kerberos Productions (Sword of the Stars, The Pit) re-released their 2009 zombie game Fort Zombie on Steam:
I'll be goddamned. I'll probably throw $3 at them for that. Actually did an LP of it on here years ago since I enjoy it even though it's a massively buggy piece of shit. Well, ENJOYED it. No idea if I still will but for $3 why not. Damn shame they didn't clean it up honestly. I liked it more than State of Decay.

Lots of tempting shit in the sale but nothing much grabbing me. Ash of Gods is tempting, Book of Demons is tempting, Clandestine is tempting, Dark Souls 3 DLC is tempting, Dustbowl is tempting, but with most at 50% off they aren't pants-shittingly amazing deals and I've already got crap like Kingmaker to fiddle with so I'm not starved for things to play.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Wow.

My Steam wishlist is quite short, but after this sale I cut it in half due to an old game series that was released on Steam a few years back finally having a good discount. I had heard that the Steam release is the 'definitive' version to have, hence my interest.

Eight seperate purchases (including DLCs and such) for a total around $15. I was happy with that, until I tried to run the games.

They didn't work. Not a single one of them. They all returned the same, strange error message about improper data access. So I popped over to the Discussion pages for the games. Nothing, and by that I mean there was zero activity there. A handful of threads that hadn't been touched in over a year.

Then I remembered that the series had their own homepage and forum, so I hopped over there to see whether the discussion was there. Well... yeah. Sorta. While there were threads there on the exact problem I was facing, I could not find any replies offering answers or solutions. The devs have skipped town and the community manager (note the singular) is silent.

That sucks. The community surrounding these games used to be so alive. Now it's a ghost town.

That left me with making eight seperate refund requests. Fortunately they were all approved.

What can we learn from this? If anyone reading this is planning on purchasing the Deadly Rooms of Death (DROD) games on Steam... test whether they run ASAP so that you can get your refund in on time. :/

mastroego

Arcane
Shit, was hoping to get some new Digital Board Game.
Forgot the sale is supposed to be horror themed.

Will probably skip it entirely.
Or, I might buy a board game at full price, after all they're not THAT costly.

Shit, was hoping to get some new Digital Board Game.
Forgot the sale is supposed to be horror themed.

Will probably skip it entirely.
Or, I might buy a board game at full price, after all they're not THAT costly.
The horror theme of the sale is almost non-existent. D&D Lords of Waterdeep is 50% off and it's about as non-horror boardgame as you can get. Same with Ticket to Ride, Pandemic, Race for the Galaxy, etc etc etc. No idea if whatever you're looking for is on sale but there is a decent stack of board games marked down.

mastroego

Arcane
Thanks but I own Lords of Waterdeep and Race to the Galaxy already.
Ticket to Ride doesn't interest me, Pandemic I might try, though I seem to remember there was something off for me according to the reviews. Something about it not being a good fit for SP players, like me.

I was looking to buy Through the Ages (no sale for it, but it's 15 dollars, still doable) or Scythe (just -20%).
I might try the little card game Age of Rivals, people seem to like it, but I'm not really into drafting.
Terraforming Mars is still basically in Beta from what I hear. And no sale.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Scythe is okay. The UI feels too heavy for what the game is, and the UX is just meh. The core game is there tho.

ortucis

Prophet
Bought Shadow of War and Grim Dawn.

Grim Dawn is great, Shadow of War so far is a turd on the face of Shadow of Mordor (which I loved and completed like three times), with laggy as shit controls on PC. Mordor had perfect raw mouse movement and here, they added lag by default when moving camera (capping game to 60 FPS lowers it a "bit") along with Denuvo and in-game feature like "Subscribe to our newsletter to gain more XP in-game". I don't even wanna know how bad this game was before they patched out marketplace and other online shit from the game.

Meh, even the combat feels awkward compared to the first game with controls not responding in the middle of the fight every now and then. I played it for like two hours, quit, loaded up Grim Dawn and played that for like 5 hours non-stop.

The fact that Shadow of War is sitting at 77% "Mostly Positive" on Steam says a lot about the PC gaming community. Half of the twats calling themselves PC gamers are console gamers, busy posting in threads about mouse issues on Steam forum, telling PC gamers to use "Gamepad cause 3rd person games are better with it". Yeah, cause moving a camera like a retard with thumbs while fighting is more fun than quick and accurate camera movement with mouse, looking at any direction instantly.

TLDR; Buy Grim Dawn.

I got 125 hours out of Witcher 3 and both expansions without fully poopsocking it and 100%ing it and never replaying. There is some definite decline into console crap, but it is a pretty nice package. Some of the stories are fun (Hearts of Stone is easily the best, and the main plot for Witcher 3 is the worst), graphics and voice acting are excellent, combat's reasonably enjoyable mole popping. Depends how much you enjoy spectacle games but Witcher 3's up there for it.

You'd probably enjoy it less if you played it in order since playing Witcher 1 and 2 brings the flaws of 3 to the front more. Counter intuitively rather than appreciating the extra depth in the setting you get from having played 1 and 2, you end up seeing how much they flanderized and retardo'd characters in 3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom