Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyanide's Call of Cthulhu - "RPG-Investigation" game based on tabletop ruleset

Repressed Homosexual
I wonder if maybe the other language voice acting is better? The english track IS a dub after all, and both Focus and Cyanide are non-English companies

If it's like Game of Thrones, the French voice track is immensely superior to all else. GoT was brilliant. Cyanide is based in France.

You can't fight French dubs, because they have some of the greatest voice actors in the world with literally decades of experience.

In comparison, English dubs have low paid amateurs who don't care. And it shows.

If it exists, put the dialogue in French with subtitles. You could do that in GoT.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
First off, Cyanide said how long this would be months ago https://wccftech.com/call-of-cthulhu-main-path-12-15-hours/

Second, $45 is a reasonable starting price to ask for a 10-15 hour fpp budget game. Gone Home charged $20 for a two hour walking sim, Firewatch charged the same for a four hour walking sin. This is a longer walking sim with role playing game systems and stealth gameplay here and there.

Third, I am terribly amused at how hard a lot of the Codex has turned against Torment-y games. Role playing walking sims are over, now this forum is all about that Baldur's Gate.

Fourth, congratulations to Diane for managing something that isn't shovelware. :love: I hope they're able to improve with Werewolf and Paranoia if they're able to get that far. I'm not terribly interested in walking sims, and it seems like I don't even have the specs to run this thing, so I'll be waiting for Stygian to provide the definitive Lovecraftian RPG experience.

Mortmal

Arcane
First off, Cyanide said how long this would be months ago https://wccftech.com/call-of-cthulhu-main-path-12-15-hours/

Second, $45 is a reasonable starting price to ask for a 10-15 hour fpp budget game. Gone Home charged $20 for a two hour walking sim, Firewatch charged the same for a four hour walking sin. This is a longer walking sim with role playing game systems and stealth gameplay here and there.

Third, I am terribly amused at how hard a lot of the Codex has turned against Torment-y games. Role playing walking sims are over, now this forum is all about that Baldur's Gate.

Fourth, congratulations to Diane for managing something that isn't shovelware. :love: I hope they're able to improve with Werewolf and Paranoia if they're able to get that far. I'm not terribly interested in walking sims, and it seems like I don't even have the specs to run this thing, so I'll be waiting for Stygian to provide the definitive Lovecraftian RPG experience.
Good post roguey you convinced me, ill wait for it and buy at 1$ on humble store bundle.In only a few months more than likely.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
How much C&C and forking paths are there really? I'm starting chapter 5 now, so I would like some comments from those at the same spot:

I took the cop with me to investigate the manor. If you don't take him with you does he survive? Or does he later appear at the sacrifice scene and dies anyway?

Also:

Pacifying old Silas. How does it play if the cop is not with you?

Also:

If you make an alliance with "Cat" for entering the warehouse instead of sneaking in, how do things play out differently?

I took the cop with me too but..
I de-escalated Silas myself using Psychology. Also the Cop isn't really dead.

ortucis

Prophet

Right right.. from a review posted above:

Choose to invest in Eloquence and you’ll be able to talk your way into hidden locations without resorting to violence. Side with Occultism and you may be able to pass yourself off as a loyal member of the Cthulhu cult, avoiding a possible grisly fate. However, as with many games where you can choose your path, your investigations end up at the same point regardless of your choices, making your decisions feel inconsequential.

This is made more bizarre as, like the Telltale games, your most important choices are marked by an in-game notification – this time ‘blank will remember this’ is replaced with ‘this will affect your fate’. Even these choices don’t have any significant impact on the ultimate direction of the story.

I think you misspelled "Telltale-y".

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I have some cash to burn so I'll get it and make up my own mind. If it sucks then well it sucks. But I'm pretty possible that I'll have fun with it. Can't be worse than any of these "progressive" walking simulator shit out there

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/121480-call-of-cthulhu-released-reviews.html

Gaming Trend 85/100:

Call of Cthulhu is a thrilling experience from start to end. The monsters may be a little lackluster, but the writing, puzzles, and characters are all interesting enough to keep you going until the very end. While the graphics are disappointing, the art style, vocal work, and atmosphere do enough to make up for it. Fans of horror or mystery will find plenty to love here.

GameSpew 8/10:

It’s not, as the game’s trailer suggests, a terrifying ride; if you’re looking for a title which will have you leaping out of your skin, afraid to even pick up the controller, you won’t find it here. Instead, Call of Cthulhu weaves a supernatural detective tale that’s frequently unsettling, occasionally horrifying and always engaging. Whether you’re a Lovecraft fan or not, there’s a lot here to love – just don’t blame me if you have to clean Elder God-sized arse-prints off your windows.

PlayStation Universe 7/10:

In the end, Call of Cthulhu is arguably at its grim best when its strives for less rather than more. Call of Cthulhu fares much better when it embraces the detective and exploration cornerstones that serve as the foundations of its experience, rather than shonky, ill-advised and face-clawingly frustrating stealth and shooting sections that threaten to undo the good work wrought elsewhere in its design.

In spite of such caveats and a need for a dollop of extra polish, Call of Cthulhu makes for a compelling take on Lovecraft’s horrors and more recently, the pen and paper take on his literature that has proved to be so popular in recent years. If you’re pining for a detective adventure that intertwines good old fashioned sleuthing with the supernatural, you could certainly do worse than Call of Cthulhu.

Trusted Reviews 3.5/5:

Most of all, Call of Cthulhu comes closer than any previous adaptation – from Dark Corners all the way back to Shadow of the Comet and Prisoner of Ice – in replicating the substance of the Chaosium RPG. While it could be more sophisticated in its handling of research and detective work, Cyanide’s effort keeps both front and centre, always resisting the temptation to just say blow it and start the gunplay. There’s stuff going on here that’s far from perfect, but that could be fantastic with a bit more care and polish.

Is this the season’s must-have horror game? Nope, but there’s a lot here that fans of Lovecraft and Call of Cthulhu will appreciate. Sure, there’s still a sense that the truly great Lovecraft adaptation has yet to push back the door of dread R’lyeh and rise to the surface, but until it does – or a sequel brings improvements – this will more than do.

Den of Geek 3.5/5:

Call of Cthulhu has some glaring flaws in its presentation and lacks a certain level of polish that would have elevated the game considerably. At times, it can look more like a last-gen title, with grainy pre-rendered cutscenes and low-res, low-poly models all abound. But there’s a good chance that the game’s strong art style and richly detailed lore will be absorbing enough that you’ll forgive its audio-visual weaknesses. This is a decidedly narrative-based experience, and while you’ll encounter far more chills than thrills throughout the campaign, the story is genuinely engaging from beginning to end, and the nightmarish visions Cyanide has concocted are sure to get under your skin.

Push Square 6/10:

Call of Cthulhu’s successfully evokes Lovecraft’s Mythos by delivering an eerie story that ultimately doesn’t stray too far from some well-trodden ground. While anyone expecting a terrifying horror title or an RPG packed will player choice and decisions will need to check those expectations at the door, there’s at least a half-decent adventure game lurking under the surface.

PC Invasion 3.5/5:

Overall, I liked Call of Cthulhu a fair amount. I enjoyed the story, the atmosphere, and the environments. It’s a walking simulator for the most part, sure, but it’s a solid one. Although I can’t recommend it at launch due to price, fans of story-based gaming experiences will likely find a lot to like about Call of Cthulhu. Just don’t go in thinking it’s a stealth RPG and keep your expectations in check. If you can do that, you’ll likely have a good time.
It is really telling how most "professional" reviewers do not even go into the price point.
Just as if they had received the game for free, and that would positively influence their review...

TheWorld

Educated
I've played a couple of hours yesterday and it's pretty decent. Not great, not shit. A bit too much of a walking simulator but the atmosphere is spot-on. It will be interesting to see if the skills and choices actually change anything. How the hell do people even know that? I've seen many user reviews that say "yeah choices don't change shit!" with 6-10 hours of game played. The game auto-saves and you can't try things in a different way so I think we need a bit more time to see if something actually gets different. I don't expect big changes but it would be nice to see at least something remotely significant happening.

I think I've spread my skill points a little too thin because it seems i'm failing everything. I've got to chapter 5 now, where the shitty stealth should start.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If they put in gamestoppers, you'd wind up with AoD which most people don't want.

As long as the journey feels different (I have no idea if it does or not), it's a role playing game, and let's face it, all points lead to fighting in the Blood War in Torment. :M

Barbarian

Arcane
So basically another one from the telltale school of "pretend to give you choices". They fooled me for a few hours(the autosaving thing keeps you from going back and trying different things).

Is there any comment about this having any replayability at all?

Also:

I hope they have a good fucking explanation for that cop coming back from the dead

and

Shambler was pretty great as a concept, too bad when he actually shows up he is basically "generic modern horror monster #68648216498"

ortucis

Prophet
If they put in gamestoppers, you'd wind up with AoD which most people don't want.

As long as the journey feels different (I have no idea if it does or not), it's a role playing game, and let's face it, all points lead to fighting in the Blood War in Torment. :M

Yeah but PT was released in 1999. Twenty years later, they can't do better than that? That's just depressing. :outrage:

It isn't hard to give few variations of the ending to make it feel like everything you did actually mattered. Same lazy shit in Witcher games, same here.

That said, I'll probably play this game (discounted.. in a year or two). I hate the fake choices in RPG's but every game does it, so whatever. :lol:

Latelistener

Arcane
Gone Home charged $20 for a two hour walking sim, Firewatch charged the same for a four hour walking sin.
You forgot to mention that people refunded Firewatch after completing it in less than 2 hours and devs had to cry to the press about it. They would have done the same with Gone Gay if Steam had refunds back then.

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
I just completed this thing, some random thoughts:
-Story was decent for the most part, though I didn't like the ending. It didn't wrap things up well.
-Atmosphere was consistently good. At no point, however, did the game get particularly scary.
-Voice acting is OK, though Charles is hilariously cheesy.
-The game is, for the most part, a walking sim with skill checks. I don't think skills are particularly important; someone more bored than me should try to complete it without raising any skills. The final chapter notably doesn't have any skill checks at all. Skills are used either in dialogue, or in the environment (Investigation skill is, for example, used for lockpicking).
-When the gameplay does appear, however, it is more often than not pretty bad. I actually enjoyed the stealth section in Chapter 5 (found at least three ways to accomplish what I had to do), and the bookstore section was neat, but other than that, it mostly amounts to a 3D equivalent of pixel hunting and trial-and-error puzzles (or, worse, trial-and-error puzzle bosses).
-The "reconstruct the crime scene" mechanic is ridiculous, the amount of things you are able to deduce from tiniest of details breaks my suspension of disbelief.
-At a certain point, you get a gun. The combat is hilariously bad, in that it is similar to the way most other RPGs handle non-combat activities: you roll a Strength check, if you succeed you win, if you fail you don't. There aren't any alternative weapons, and the combat section is easily won with the starting Strength skill.
-I ended the game with Occultism score of 3 and Medicine score of 2. That means, I guess, I missed a bunch of skill raising books.
-Choices don't seem to matter much, though I may be wrong on this account. For example, at one point, you have the choice of helping one of the two NPCs, who will in turn help you advance the plot. Whoever you choose to help, neither appears again for the rest of the game. The final choice is also made pretty much in a vacuum.
-Does Sanity matter in the end? Does the post-credits scene where the protagonist is at the asylum only happen if you are insane? What happens instead if you chose to summon Cthulhu?
Overall, the game is not that bad; I'm not sorry I played it, though that's mostly because I tend to thrive on the atmosphere in a given work, and here it's definitely the high point. If you're in for the story and atmosphere, you may enjoy the game; however, if you're looking for deep RPG mechanics, or a competent first person adventure game, you may want to skip this one.

Finished it, the investigation parts are not that bad, the voice acting gets more atrocious the more the game goes on, the stealth parts are frustating and the "action" parts is a joke (or maybe you had to use stealth but I just shoot all those guys) but at the end you get to
summon Cthulhu
so it at least gets a 6 from me, ia ia cthulhu fhtagn I regret nothiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing

Barbarian

Arcane
Finished it. "Good for what it is" I guess.

:3/5:

The good: Nice atmosphere. Nice setting. Authentically lovecraftian.

The bad: Action and stealth parts are annoyingly bad. Lots of boring dream/illusion sequences which mostly don't make sense, detract from the story and appear to be just filler. Short(I took about 11 hours and tried to do everything). Lots of 3d pixel hunting. Puzzles are few and simplistic. Graphics are shitty.

So far I regret pre-ordering. I'm tempted to replay the thing in order to confirm how much C&C and different paths there are, but all in all I'm pretty sure it was all made in the Telltale method(if I come back and choose differently most will be pretty much the same).

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Can't wait for this to go on deep sale one day so that I can brave the brightly-lit moonless nights and underground caverns of the world of Lovecraft as he himself envisioned it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom