Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline TheoTown - 2D city builder

Perkel

Arcane
OK so recently i got myself tablet and i was looking for any actual exclusive game for android and i found this gem...
I am avid city builder player with shitload of time spent in SC4 and many other city building games and i am playing it right now and...

It is fucking good game. there is actually gameplay. you can build huge cities and have whole regions like in SC4.
Graphics are a bit pixelated but i love the detail and it reminds me a lot of SC3. I love how structures take time to build and you can't just pop them left and right.

Obviously i didn't sink yet that much hours and it is my initial impression but overall at least for now this looks like defacto solid game that any citybuilder fan should try.

Some screenshots:

BKldVf6.jpg

1508105229-screenshot-2017-10-12-18-58-18.png

824_1481678617138_1.png

Perkel

Arcane
How would you even get the idea of not making a PC version of this?

This is why i can't believe this shit when i found out about it.
This shit would sell shitload of copies on steam.
And it is legit cool game with cool features.

Game does have in game purchases but they are fairly minimal and when you actually want to build stuff in whole region you are looking at minimum 5-6$.

And it is not like game set on fire android as barely anyone heard about it.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Microcancer, not a good start.

How's the interface?

Transport Tycoon is actually available on Android and would BTFO of anything else if it was in any way possible to play on a touch screen, but things are too tiny.

Perkel

Arcane
Microcancer, not a good start.

How's the interface?

Transport Tycoon is actually available on Android and would BTFO of anything else if it was in any way possible to play on a touch screen, but things are too tiny.

Great actually. There is no issue playing it with touch controls.

Microcancer exists like i said but it is fairly benign. Bigger features of game are locked behind basically DLC. If you spend about 20-30$ total you basically have most of the game. Rest of micro are just either time skippers (to not wait for something to be build), buy money lol or landscape buildings.

Time for building stuff could be real shit if they wanted but currently it is imho perfect and you never feel like it was made for you to spend money.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Thus expect it to become annoyingly slow and shit with the next update.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

This is coming to PC:

Announcement from March: https://www.facebook.com/theotowngame/photos/a.389922671357843/849833345366771/

Dear people of this Facebook page, it is with great pleasure we are now finally able to make this announcement to the public. More than 5 years ago, TheoTown was first released to you all on android. In that time the game has never stopped growing. We established a great community over those years. You may have heard rumours or jokes the past few weeks about a new version of TheoTown. It is with pride that now, after 5 years, I can announce the following: TheoTown 66! Now what will this mean? TheoTown 66 is a version of TT, that will be available to users on IOS platforms, but perhaps even more exciting, on the PC! Furthermore, this version will have a long requested feature finally being realised. Elevated terrain! That's right, you will be able to create different landscape heights now! Something else to get you excited: Many of you are familiar with the DSA plugin, some might not. DSA will also be added to the base game of TT 66! Keep an eye on our discord for more information to come soon!

https://theotown.com/forum/app.php/theotown66

Perkel

Arcane
Game is officially released on steam !
Downloading

- Game is cheap !
- No mircotransactions of any kind. Pay and play.
- Intergrated plugin menu
- works without issue here
- hype!
- 2 files 100mb. Truly refreshing stuff.

So far so good. Looks identical to android version, UI rather gracefully translated to PC version but could use some tweaking. It has integrated plugin support so no doubt we will get shitload of mods because android version has a lot of those.

edit:

yep checking mods and there are bilions of those. I know now where all folks from simdevotion went....

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
sims city 4 style regions:

unknown.png

you can make your own regions but it is not easy as click of a button if you want something different than square empty map. But it is fairly easy after a while.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
When I saw the game my dick went harder Cleve's titanium bones but then I read Java and now I'm impotent for life.
What does that have to do with anything?
It's not like you couldn't program good games in Java. Sure, you won't get the highest performance but that's not exactly an issue with a game like this.

Perkel

Arcane
When I saw the game my dick went harder Cleve's titanium bones but then I read Java and now I'm impotent for life.

Game works without single hitch. I mean game was originally for android phones...

catfood

AGAIN
It's not like you couldn't program good games in Java. Sure, you won't get the highest performance but that's not exactly an issue with a game like this.
Yeah, you don't need instant response time in a game like this but the performance still is too janky for me. Just take a look:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, you don't need instant response time in a game like this but the performance still is too janky for me. Just take a look:

Looks normal and fluid to me. As in, following the SimCity 2000 animations, etc. pretty well.
And since it ran on Android phones, I really don't think this will have any performance problems on anything but the worst potatos. And probably not even there.

Perkel

Arcane
Like i said game works great. Also i think above video is just someone playing android version with mouse due to how erratic UI behaves for some reason which doesn't happen to me.

I play like that OpenTTD on the go on my tablet.

Perkel

Arcane
Looks like game is updated almost daily. Reading discord announcements and there are plenty of fixes and changes. Good to see it in active development. I thought it will be just straight up port.

Perkel

Arcane
updates:

- Add support to generate regions/cities from heightmap images
- Ambient sound effects
- Add setting to hide labels and add support for terrain
- Offer permanent snow to be buildable
- Attempt to fix black plugins issue
- Fix plugin loading related issues
- Fix Android navigation bar was visible to some users
- Adjustments to building performance
- Constant level option in road tool
- Fix flooding disaster
- Fix path finding on hills
- Fix various issues with airport on hills
- Fix various other bugs

compare its features with simcity4's and skylines', please, because i can't find a trustworthy extended demo.
i wouldn't settle for anything less complex.

Perkel

Arcane
compare its features with simcity4's and skylines', please, because i can't find a trustworthy extended demo.

Just pirate it try it. If you like it buy it. I tried it first on android which has free version which is why i knew PC version would be good without micro.

It is closer to SimCity3000 than 4000. SimCity4 and Cities Skylines are easy while TheoTown and SC3000 are harder.

Just pirate it try it. If you like it buy it.

which part of
i can't find a trustworthy extended demo
is too difficult to understand?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom