Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

2house2fly

Magister
I thought "executive producer" in TV and film was a more or less meaningless title they gave to like the star of the show to pad his ego or whatever. I guess it's different in games? I seem to remember some previous mention of the Indiana leads not wanting Sawyer getting involved as design director, now they're compaining that as executive producer he isn't involved enough?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Can't wait for this game to come out,it will be glorious codex drama! It will be the last Obsidian game ever made guys,after it there will be just microsoft drivel.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I thought "executive producer" in TV and film was a more or less meaningless title they gave to like the star of the show to pad his ego or whatever. I guess it's different in games? I seem to remember some previous mention of the Indiana leads not wanting Sawyer getting involved as design director, now they're compaining that as executive producer he isn't involved enough?

In TV it really depends. You have courtesy executive producers who get their names in the credits because they provided financing or they negotiated it for some other reason. But the actual showrunner is usually an executive producer, too.

I can see Tim and Leonard not wanting Sawyer to be heavily involved while also being baffled that he’d take the executive producer position and then take a month off.

Whatever Mr. Majestik was drinking/smoking last night, I want some.

Latelistener

Arcane
Can't wait for this game to come out,it will be glorious codex drama! It will be the last Obsidian game ever made guys,after it there will be just microsoft drivel.
Tim, Leonard and Sawyer will leave the studio along with the whole Indiana team to found another one and they'll call it Tourmaline Studios.

Then they'll bring back Anderson, Avellone, Mitsoda, Ziets and others to make a PC-exclusive historical AAA RPG that will be a massive hit.

Man can dream.

:despair:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
... Then it will sell less than Deadfire and the company will close doors.
But we will get another great RPG to remember the days of old :smug:. Better to have a studio with a single game to be remembered for decades than a studio with 100 generic shitty games. I am consumer,don't care about the rest.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
If they'll start another company, will you join them?

Hell yes.

And IHaveHugeNick when he leaves the upper echelons, as he always wished.

IHaveHugeNick, I hope you have a business degree, those lads are going to need it.

Have faith, my boy.

Even if most of the gaming industry and many old and famous developers have been taken over by Bethesda and all the odious apparatus of the big publisher rule, we shall not flag or flail. We shall make RPGs on the beaches. We shall make them on the landing grounds. We shall make them in the hills and in the streets. We shall never surrender.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
But we will get another great RPG to remember the days of old
ot1gft8xms411.png

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Management grivances aside, Josh indeed looks like he aged 15 years since the beginning of Pillars 1 Kickstarter. Let the poor guy have his vacation, even if his idea of vacation is giving talks around Europe and visiting museums.

Latelistener

Arcane
If they'll start another company, will you join them?

Hell yes.

And IHaveHugeNick when he leaves the upper echelons, as he always wished.

IHaveHugeNick, I hope you have a business degree, those lads are going to need it.

Have faith, my boy.

Even if most of the gaming industry and many old and famous developers have been taken over by Bethesda and all the odious apparatus of the big publisher rule, we shall not flag or flail. We shall make RPGs on the beaches. We shall make them on the landing grounds. We shall make them in the hills and in the streets. We shall never surrender.
You'll say anything to become owner again.

:rpgcodex:

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Josh being on a month-long vacation instead of present as a disinterested observer with some minor sway over the project is probably a good thing for both the game and Josh. But mostly the game.

Developer

I still think the game will be good, it's the upper management hijinks that make me roll my eyes (and don't get me wrong, I thought having Rich Taylor on the project was great).

I said as much before so I don't know if this is a change of opinion, but I do think Tim and Leonard would be happier at some place else where the tides of management make more sense (and are more respectful of the team and the process, which I don't think is the case right now).

LizardWizard

Cipher
Didn't Adler say Josh was supposedly working to make ship-combat less shitty? Guess that ship was abandoned as well

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
the games industry is such a fucking joke
As any other industry,it is just that we don't care about them. I am sure that there is a forum out there that is the Codex of the toilet paper industry. People from all around the world comparing types of modern toilet paper and dreaming about the good old times of sandpaper.

RepHope

Savant

Jinn

Arcane
Goddamn, Chris Avellone . You come through with the best information. Thanks for coming to the codex and sharing all this stuff time and time again. Really appreciate getting a truthful perspective of the business and all your insights into game development itself.

And thanks for working on one of the best CRPGs created in many years. Pathfinder: Kingmaker is excellent despite its technical issues. Owlcat and yourself should be very proud of yourselves.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom