Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ground Branch - upcoming tactical shooter by Blackfoot Studios

vitamin

Augur
Some of you guys might be interested in this title so just wanted to let you know that free tech demo and also early access pre-order are available:

http://www.groundbranch.com/store/

Last edited by a moderator:

vitamin

Augur
Couldn't find a release date, is there one?
There isn't one, and do not expect to see it in the near future either. This game has been in development for at least 7 years and AFAIK only two guys work on it right now. So it's a long way to see it coming along (even in some early beta stage). But I'm glad that they didn't give up on it for all that time. It gives me a bit of hope for seeing a good tactical fps that might be similar to Infiltration mod for UT99.

Anyway, here's a demo of tech preview that points out quite a few interesting features of this project.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

Coming to Early Access in August:

From one of the lead artists behind the original Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon games, GROUND BRANCH puts the "tactical" back in "tactical shooter"—no compromises.

Play as Ground Branch, the elite paramilitary arm of the CIA's Special Activities Division/Special Operations Group (SAD/SOG) and lead other special operations forces through challenging deniable ops all over the globe. With deliberate, calculated and unforgiving gameplay, GROUND BRANCH is the true rebirth of the tactical realism genre of the late '90s and early 2000s, powered by Epic's Unreal Engine 4.

KEY FEATURES
  • Use small unit tactics to get the job done in single player, 10-player co-op and 5v5 adversarial game modes (final player capacities TBD).
  • Unprecedented customization: Select your character's complete kit, from individual outfit items to detailed vest and weapon customization.
  • True First-Person System: See your operator as it is seen by other players in the game world, look around independently from where you weapon and body are facing (free-look), and mind your muzzle as it collides with the environment.

The following is a comprehensive list of both working and planned features:

General
  • Squad-based, team-oriented gameplay.
  • Minimal HUD with multiple optional elements.
  • No pre-defined squad roles—equip yourself as you want.
  • AI development by industry veteran and AI researcher Phil Carlisle: Use squad commands to take on challenging enemies alongside competent AI teammates.
  • No gear unlocks, hit markers, kill confirmations or score pop-ups.
Weapons and gear
  • Fully customizable weapons: Setup your weapons how you choose, with numerous attachments (sights, lasers, lights, grips, muzzle devices, offset rails and even risers) that operate as they do in the real world. Where and how you place certain sights and accessories along the rails realistically affect how they function.
  • Authentic reloads: Choose between tactical and speed reloads (retaining or dropping the current magazine, respectively), each with their own pros and cons as well as realistic, individual animations that can be interrupted. Each magazine tracks how many rounds it contains at any given time.
  • Collision: Your weapon is truly inside the game world and will collide with objects in it, making length a real factor.
  • Weapon positions: In addition to the traditional point-shooting and aiming down the sights (ADS) postures of most FPS games, GROUND BRANCH allows you to use low- and high-ready weapon positions for various situations where greater muzzle control, increased field of view or rest may be necessary.
  • Accurate (but not overly complicated) ballistics model: Rounds originate from the muzzle of the weapon (no "cone-fire"), while bullet drop, stopping power and penetration are all simulated based on caliber/cartridge type.
  • Supported shooting: Use folding bipods or brace your weapon on the environment to stabilize your aim.
  • Varied arsenal: Multiple handguns, submachine guns, carbines, assault and battle rifles, machine guns, DMRs, sniper rifles and explosives to choose from, with selectable ammunition type (e.g. full metal jacket, hollow point or subsonic rounds, smoke grenade color etc.).
Character and inventory
  • Customize your character's basic appearance as well as headgear, eyewear, shirt, pants, footwear, gloves and vest, along with colors/camos for each item.
  • Appropriate and realistic playable female characters.
  • Setup your vest platform with individual item pouches and place them where you want them. What you visibly attach to your character is what you'll carry onto the mission.
  • Unlimited saved load-outs, which can be created, named and edited both offline and inside server lobbies.
  • Realistic representation of equipment use: NVGs need to be flipped down before use, grenades need to be equipped, aimed and thrown, primary weapons will hang in front of a characters' chest as they draw another item, and so on. Equipping items takes time, and changes are visible on characters.
  • Weapons and other items can be picked up or dropped on the battlefield, and magazines and gear can be shared with teammates.
Movement and damage
  • Standing, crouched and prone stances, with multiple movement speeds per posture.
  • Accurately and realistically jump, vault and clamber onto and over obstacles.
  • Lean, peek or step out of cover to engage the enemy. "Slice the pie" while leaning to maintain a reduced profile.
  • What (and how much) you take into combat matters: The encumbrance system takes the weight and bulk of items into account, affecting your movement and actions noticeably—but not drastically.
  • No regenerating health or health packs. Administer first aid to non-lethal injuries for reduced combat effectiveness.
  • Location damage model: Expect visible injuries and consequences, such as limping, reduced arm functions, and/or hits to stamina and accuracy. Players immobilized from a non-lethal injury can stay in the fight.
  • Carry teammates to safety to administer first aid—or to safely recover their ammo, gear, cargo or body if they are no longer alive.
Game world and mission design
  • Based on unique environments all over the world, the non-linear mission and map designs offer multiple entry points and open-ended results.
  • Know concealment from hard cover: Like bullets, different materials and surfaces have specific penetration values.
  • Fully functioning doors that can be opened/closed partially and at variable speeds, as well as breached with weapons and explosives.
  • Full-featured training areas for both individual and multiplayer practice, including killhouses with randomly generated target placement and configurable number of "enemy" and "friendly" targets.
  • Enemies are spawned at mission start, with a degree of randomization to quantity and location. No "monster closets" or magic enemy spawns based on player location or mission progress.
  • GROUND BRANCH's unique "campaign" format will deliver smaller, more localized sets of missions based around global hotspots, with a centralized intelligence interface to monitor them and receive new mission orders over time. The choices you make along the way may affect future engagements.
  • Complete missions individually or with friends, and keep track of previous mission results.
  • Map variation: In addition to day and night versions as well as weather variation, maps have small details that can change between rounds, such as doors and windows that may be open, closed or blocked.
Multiplayer and servers
  • Multiple co-op and adversarial (PvP) game modes.
  • Ready Room: A physical multiplayer lobby where you can plan your approach, see your teammates' loadouts, test weapon configurations on a firing range and jointly select insertion points.
  • Full—and free—dedicated server support. Host a server wherever you want!
  • In-game VOIP: Use directional/proximity (3D) voice chat, set comms channels within teams and mute users (or yourself) at any time. Team/global text chat also available.
  • Create your own arm/headgear unit patches.
  • Full support for MP ladders.
  • After-action review (AAR) following each mission/round.
  • Server-side options.
Others
  • Full mod support.
  • Controller support.

Ivan

Arcane
wow, genuinely surprised this made it all the way to release. lol I still remember backing their KS and them cancelling it.

no launch trailer, maybe still in the oven

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
Anyone played the early access version?

It's a lot more playable now. Had a pretty nice experience doing terrorist hunt solo. Still some bugs obviously, but it's coming along nicely!

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Holy shit had no idea this was out already! :shredder:

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
Not out out, just early access for now. Seems to be getting a pretty good reception so far though.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Welcome to the game that has been announced 1 more time that it has been cancelled.

Anyone remember Interstellar Marines? That should be a warning that this type of develpment does not work.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!

Got gifted this recently. Its still early as fuck, but as far as I'm concerned this holds way more promise than just about any other "tactical" fps being advertised on youtube everywhere, primarily because most of those stink of vaporware, and this is actually PLAYABLE.

And indeed, it is in a very playable state, albeit i would not recommend anyone buy it currently. Its still very rough and even basic things like prone animations are not yet in. However i will say even at this very barebones stage, if GB was seeking to pay homage to the old school rainbow six and original ghost recon, they've succeeded. Games like ArmA 3 and EFT are far more diverse and detailed games, but they never captured that OGR feeling for me even with people trying to ape 1:1 missions in ArmA3.... this does capture that feeling, a little bit. The movement and aiming models are already easily the best of any tacshooter ive played.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is still in Early Access, but a buddy of mine is rabid about these high lethality teamwork shooters so he got me to try it. It's good. Lots of nice big maps, lots of guns, good mechanics, slightly clunky shooting in a good way - you can't spin 180° instantly, turning your body takes a natural feeling amount of time.

The only co-op game modes right now are "extrerminate the enemies" and "grab the macguffin", but there is still some good depth here as settings are customizable. Choose how many enemies there are, tune the AI, choose how helpful your macguffin tracker is, decide at what point the game tells you how many enemies left, etc. With so many tools to tune the experience and so many maps I feel this is easily worth the money for many hours of entertainment with friends.

P.S. The name of the game isn't "Ground Branch", it's "GROUND BRANCH". Get it right!

Last edited:

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
The gunplay is definitely starting to feel really good, better than Ready or Not or Zero Hour imo. I feel it could do with more maps though.

EDIT: Just saw they put up an update today with 2 new maps, hooo boy!

Last edited:

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Maybe that's the real deal for tactic shooter connoisseur after the somewhat derivative and uninnovative Ready or Never.
What, this game? I wouldn't say GROUND BRANCH is particularly special. It's good but I doubt it will blow anyone's mind.

Also, full disclosure that despite its long development time, it's still very much Early Access. For example, mantling doesn't really work and some controls feel a little weird. Not fully cooked yet.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
What, this game? I wouldn't say GROUND BRANCH is particularly special. It's good but I doubt it will blow anyone's mind.

Also, full disclosure that despite its long development time, it's still very much Early Access. For example, mantling doesn't really work and some controls feel a little weird. Not fully cooked yet.

Mantling is going to be in the game? Cool!

MiguelSerranoFan

Educated
v1032 is really good. The new animations and assets look great, and I'm very glad the soundscape has gotten an overhaul as well. Sucks having the full DAC/Amp setup and only having it be utilized properly by Squad. Even the ragdolls got an overhaul, which is unironically one of the most important parts of making shooting satisfying. New maps are cool too, everybody loves the Bin Laden compound one and Rig reminds me of the oil rig from the first Rainbow Six.

Zombra

Patron
The oil rig was one of the few maps I tried last night and I was indeed quite impressed. Lots of convoluted verticality, and long sight lines, while being the complete antithesis of the traditional sniper map.

Latelistener

Arcane
Never heard about this game before that Microprose trailer and then forgot about it again. Decided to give it a go since it's currently discounted and costs about 5 times less than Ready or Not in my region.

The base gameplay feels really good. Nice sounds and gear customization. Maps are fairly decent in size and detail. Overall, it's still a bit barebones and without friendly AI (planned), but hopefully they'll finish it in the next few years.

https://trello.com/b/BdkXEGf5/ground-branch-roadmap

Curratum

Holy fucking crap, that shit's been in the making since 2015, and I thought it started in late 2018 with the Steam EAccess...

Yeah, totally not vaporware, bros, definitely going to turn into a real game! It just needs some 8, maybe 9 years in the oven, to cook to perfection! We don't have friendly AI in 2022 in a game that has dead multiplayer and you need to convince all your friends to buy copies, but that's ok! It will surely be done if you want another year or two!

Latelistener

Arcane
My impression is that the development has been slow but steady, otherwise it wouldn't have 91% positive reviews after 4 years in Early Access.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom