Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Most overrated RPG on the codex - Elimination Poll

Which RPG is the most overrated on the codex?

• Total voters

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Still no Tides of Numenera? What the fuck, man?

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
How can TTON be overrated when everyone is unanimous it's a piece of shit InXcrement?
Saying Tides of Numenera is a piece of shit is overrating it. I'm also pretty sure I saw at least like 3 people express favourable opinions about it.
TToN gets a bad rap. Remember they made their butt pirate an actual pirate. That was a bold move.

deuxhero

Arcane
Shit combat
always funny to read shit combat as a criticism on rpgcodex, when nearly all rpgs have shit combat, explicitly worse than Baldur's Gate.

The difference is that BG's combat is not only shit, but tedious shit. You need to micromanage your entire party thanks to the shitty RTWP combat that has never, EVER worked properly.

sullynathan

Arcane
Shit combat
always funny to read shit combat as a criticism on rpgcodex, when nearly all rpgs have shit combat, explicitly worse than Baldur's Gate.

The difference is that BG's combat is not only shit, but tedious shit. You need to micromanage your entire party thanks to the shitty RTWP combat that has never, EVER worked properly.
ok, then name better. Of the thousands of RPG's released in this entire genre, you can likely only name one or two handfuls of rpgs with better combat. Even the turn based ones are worse. It reached the point that shitty combat is so prevalent in rpgs, that many users like their rpg with less or little combat.

deuxhero

Arcane
Temple of Elemental Evil/Knights of the Chalice/Dungeons and Dragons Tactics (More or less same system with slightly different implementations so I'll combine them)
Gold Box/Dark Sun Shattered Lands
Mountain and Blade
Blackguards
Gothic/Gothic II
Wizardry/Might and Magic
Jagged Alliance 2
Betrayal at Krondor
Geneforge
Most jRPGs worth playing.

Frankly just down our list of top RPGs and exclude the ones that are RTWP. RTWP is an inheriently shitty system with the problems of both real time and turn based, but neither of their advantages.

PorkBarrellGuy

I wondered if I was the only one that had seriously played D&D Tactics

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I want a game where I don't have to play.

Managing my entire party is boring, duh.

deuxhero

Arcane
Gothic's combat does what it's intended to, which is still better than BGII. It successfully made a system where the player AND character have to be skilled to win a fight.

I wondered if I was the only one that had seriously played D&D Tactics

Honestly, I'm not sure the devs did that much. The game starts pretty strong but quickly becomes filled with some enemy choices that scream placeholder, either out of place or massively under CR.

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
While I agree that RTWP needs to die in a fire, I still think the combat in BG is among the best out there. Maybe not in its entirety (esp. not in part 1 which was basically summon animals and arrows), but when it reaches its heights, there were glorious peaks of incline to be had. The fights against Kangaxx or Demogorgon were awesome (and entirely missable/skippable). And BG is still the only game which did the "onion layer" approach to mage combat in a truly satisfying manner. Peeling away at your enemy with breach and dispels, stripping them from being invincible to frail, naked old men getting gang raped by your party, never ceased to be fun. Also spellchains and timestop.

Edit: almost forgot running away from the spread of your own fireballs in RT was fun and maybe the only upside to RTWP

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
meh
every good crpg needs chaff.
or you can play tyranny of numalelana and only have 5 battles...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom