Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Most overrated RPG on the codex - Final Poll

Which of these games is the most overrated on the codex?

• Planescape: Torment

Votes: 44 19.9%
  • Morrowind

Votes: 55 24.9%
  • The Witcher 3

Votes: 66 29.9%
  • Elex

Votes: 56 25.3%

• Total voters

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Would someone already ban that retard sfav shit eater the third??? Infinitron do your job and throw silver coin out,for once be a decent RPG fan!
you want codex to start banning women?
No,i don't want to ban people that care and play RPGs or stay in the political part. He is just trolling shill for obsidian. It is just spamming threads trying to smear the old classics,it really piss me off. If he was shown even the smallest spark of interest for RPGs i wouldn't have wrote such a post.

PorkBarrellGuy

No,i don't want to ban people that care and play RPGs or stay in the political part. He is just trolling shill for obsidian. It is just spamming threads trying to smear the old classics,it really piss me off. If he was shown even the smallest spark of interest for RPGs i wouldn't have wrote such a post.

fantadomat m'boy I think you have missed the point of all this

Quillon

Arcane
Witcher 3 being an option doesn't make any sense, yo. Its like putting Oblivion, FO3 or FO4 in there, people would vote on them just cos they are mainstream.

Bohr

Arcane
Can never have too many polls. I hope to see other subjects like the "7 deadly sins" covered soon.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Witcher 3 is not an RPG, hence it can't be an "overrated RPG", cannot be Codex GOTY RPG (hence AoD should be considered GOTY 2015), cannot be anything-RPG.

On a sidenote, both PS:T and Fallout have been groundbreaking in their time, but from today's perspective have numerous issues - in terms of mechanics as well as UI, reactivity, possibilities for character expression, and so forth.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
On a sidenote, both PS:T and Fallout have been groundbreaking in their time, but from today's perspective have numerous issues - in terms of mechanics as well as UI, reactivity, possibilities for character expression, and so forth.

As does every (RPG) title ever developed when compared to unrealistic/autistic/idealistic standards that RPG nerds can come up with.
That makes them imperfect, not overrated.

PorkBarrellGuy

it should be noted that any praise for Morrowind whatsoever qualifies as overrating it drastically, but it's not an RPG - it's a hiking simulator wrapped up with RPG-themed paper

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
from today's perspective

Bitch, plz. What exactly is today's perspective on those things? Console UIs and emoticon based dialogue?
Watch the edge, piggy, Christmas is still more than a month away.

How about the perspective where the player expects to not have to constantly alternate between left and right mouse click in order to switch between "exploring" and "movement" mode.

Fallout manual said:
The hex cursor is a movement cursor. Move it to where you want to walk, and left-click to start walking there. For now, move your mouse until the movement cursor is adjacent to the computer next to the door. Left-click once to walk there. As you are walking, you can move the movement cursor to another location. If you want to interrupt your current walk, simply left-click again. Once you are standing next to the computer, right-click once. This will change the cursor from the movement cursor to the command cursor. The command cursor is how you interact with items/objects in the environment and other people. Right-click once on the computer. This will make your character “use” the computer. Now look at the display window in the lower left-hand corner of the screen. Try using the computer again.

Last edited:

Revenant

There is a scene where his brother, Eve, is reading an old human book and is surprised that Eve was female, that must mean they're both men:

Frozen

Arcane
There is no bigger hater of a TES game than me but lets be realistic,

From that list its germanotard autistic your mama basement dweller experiment, blast from the past fugly 2004. graphics my left foot controls Gothic 1.2 ELEX

Game that should be renamed LAME

FeelTheRads

Arcane
How about the perspective where the player you expects to not have to constantly alternate between left and right mouse click in order to switch between "exploring" and "movement" mode.

That's a Fallout thing, it has nothing to do with any time period perspective.

Today there are much worse UI crimes than that.

Also, in most ways the UI in F3 is worse than in F1.

jungl

Augur
Definitely the witcher 3. Hated how you couldn't fight nearly everything unless you go through the main story and level up. Witcher 3 is more linear then planescape torment despite it being open world. Also the itemization in witcher 3 is awful almost as bad as divinity 2. Elex is the worst game in the list. You see everything the game has to offer after a few hours but the game is over 60 hours long. Morrowind was ton of fun for its time. Its the most satisfying game out of the list when you manage to explore most of the island and quests and its your first play through.

AwesomeButton

Patron
How about the perspective where the player you expects to not have to constantly alternate between left and right mouse click in order to switch between "exploring" and "movement" mode.

That's a Fallout thing, it has nothing to do with any time period perspective.

Today there are much worse UI crimes than that.

Also, in most ways the UI in F3 is worse than in F1.
The point is that for a present day player this means he'll drop the game. Because with all their flaws and good sides, these games are now faced with an amount of competition that's incomparable to what they had when they came out. That's the meaning of "from today's perspective" which you quoted.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Definitely the witcher 3. Hated how you couldn't fight nearly everything unless you go through the main story and level up. Witcher 3 is more linear then planescape torment despite it being open world. Also the itemization in witcher 3 is awful almost as bad as divinity 2. Elex is the worst game in the list. You see everything the game has to offer after a few hours but the game is over 60 hours long. Morrowind was ton of fun for its time. Its the most satisfying game out of the list when you manage to explore most of the island and quests and its your first play through.

Bethestards never change.

jungl

Augur
I know eurofags LOVE witcher because geralt looks like a gay vampire straight out of twilight a 10/10 defining movie from their childhood but come on

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
All four are overrated, so it's only a question of which is the most overrated.

Planescape - linear, shitty combat, predetermined protagonist, assaults you with walls of text. Only appeals to storyfags, and videogames are the lowest medium of storytelling.
Morrowind - lifeless static world, boring quests, unbalanced systems. The worldbuilding, atmosphere, and music are pretty good though.
Witcher 3 - The most casual RPG on the list. It's also one of the most polished games of this generation, so it could be worth playing for that alone.
Elex - Everything is awful except for the C&C and exploration, but for some people that's enough to make it a good game.

I'd say Planescape is the most overrated, because it was voted #1 RPG on the codex by a very large margin. The only game that came close to it was Fallout 1.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom