Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What character you make when you replay RPGs?

What character you make when you replay RPGs?

• Total voters

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Recently i read something about Arcanum and made me think about it. I found it interesting that i never even used a single spell in that game or played a retarded 6 int,and that i always ended up with the same character in all my playtroughs. I do enjoy roleplaying the same character in all games and never try to play something like wizard or warrior in CRPGs. It got me curious about how other codexers are doing it. So here it is,lets discuss what characters you build on replay and why.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
Depends on the game, but generally I tend to try the opposite build to what I first tried.

If I make a straight male knight who goes around shagging all the bitches, then next playthrough I'll make a gay female sorceress who goes around letting the bitches do her.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I liek to try out different characters in single character games. In party based game I invariably end up with pretty much the same party.

Never understood people who always play excactly the same character in every game.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Depends on the game, but generally I tend to try the opposite build to what I first tried.

If I make a straight male knight who goes around shagging all the bitches, then next playthrough I'll make a gay female sorceress who goes around letting the bitches do her.
:lol:
What games are you playing? Still to see a lesbian bitch getting some pussy in CRPGs.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Never understood people who always play excactly the same character in every game.
I do like to roleplay a character similar to me in some overblown way. It is for people that want to play themself or what they want to be/become.

Falksi

Arcane

:lol:
What games are you playing? Still to see a lesbian bitch getting some pussy in CRPGs.

Currently Dragons Dogma. Female Assasin after a lapfest. :bounce:

PorkBarrellGuy

first time through is generally something good-aligned and melee-oriented. I don't usually start getting munchkin-y and breaking shit with powerbuilds until at least my fifth or so run

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I do enjoy roleplaying the same character in all games and never try to play something like wizard or warrior in CRPGs. It got me curious about how other codexers are doing it.

Other codexers are creating a party. :obviously:

You still make "your" character in a party! IWD is great for a harem simulator,some time i even get a dwarven man servant.

SniperHF

Arcane
I almost always end up making one that's pretty similar to the first time, not because I intended to but because I usually don't remember till I'm playing for a few hours and remember stuff.

I also have a shitty memory which sucks most of the time but is fantastic for replaying great games :positive:

Mark Richard

Arcane
I usually go for a charismatic smooth-talker to gain access to the most content, opening up additional dialogue choices and allied recruitment. I may not even take them, its just nice to have options.

buffalo bill

Arcane
Depends on the game, but usually I try to play something that makes the game more challenging once I understand the mechanics. E.g. a non-shoot-for-the-eyes character in Fallout, a ghoul in Infra Arcana, or a gunslinger in Arcanum (after playing through as a sharpshooter, rogue and mage in those respective games).

Tigranes

Arcane
When I was a kid I used to basically play the same type of character every game, whatever archetype I thought was "cool" munchkin'd to the max.

At some point, I realised you're really selling yourself short that way - trying different builds, playing non-charismatic or dumb builds, playing unoptimised characters, etc. makes it much more fun from both C&C and gameplay points of view rather than, say, a high CHA munchkin wizard glass cannon for every D&D game.

Frozen

Arcane
It depends, mostly I play the same character-evil to the core and all about killing innocent for fun and getting power.

If its a shitty game I play as a wymn so I have at least something to look forward to (boobs&ass)

Modron

Arcane
Recently i read something about Arcanum and make think about it. I found it interesting that i never even used a single spell in that game or played a retarded 6 int,and that i always ended up with the same character in all my playtroughs. I do enjoy roleplaying the same character in all games and never try to play something like wizard or warrior in CRPGs. It got me curious about how other codexers are doing it. So here it is,lets discuss what characters you build on replay and why.
Arcanum players seemed to be especially autistic I only use harm in real time types. Barely anyone seems to stray from Magic, melee, and firearms; Drog is the only one I talked to who tried out backstabbing and throwing. Archery was every bit as overpowered especially when you threw in the masteries.

Mustawd

I usually go with this. My default in any single player rpg is always melee or some kind of close combat. Replaying I always choose something that’s as opposite as possible to get a different feel for the gameplay.

deuxhero

Arcane
I did a throwing playthrough once. Archery's problem is keeping an arrow supply and there's nothing you can do with it that Raven can't. By contrast only the MC can get the best firearms ability due to dependance on crafted guns (and ammo) so the few gun using hirelings can't get in on the action.

As for the initial question, it depends on the game. NWN(2) becomes way more tedious if you stray from a handful of builds, which is especially bad since you need to be charisma based to access dialog options. I've played Morrowind with each weapon type, even archery and destruction: the difference between most melee weapons is minimal, though spears (the increase in range is quite noticeable and it's way easier to avoid being hit) and ranged (marksman is really annoying without a mod that adds a bound arrows spell and destruction is unplayble without a mana regen mod or exploits) are worth checking out.

The most interesting difference in gameplay between builds I've seen is New Vegas, oddly enough. Even within the guns skill you have a few options you can specialize in (sneak attack crit, aimed shots, rapid fire, shotgun, big gun) which all work differently. Energy weapons don't have as much perk based specialization, but they've got lots of gimmick weapons you can carry around for multiple situations. Melee and unarmed are relatively similar (the only gimmick weapons, fatigue damage, just plain old don't work because HP damage is higher) though different from either type of gun. Haven't done explosives yet, though I fear it will be a bit tedious due to ammo restrictions and once non-hostile NPCs bitching

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Before I wanted to be Life Coach, I would make different characters, experiment with builds, but now I just make gun man. Gun mans with big armor, big muscles, and lots of end/con for soaking bullets. I name him Shortbus.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom