Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyanide's Call of Cthulhu - "RPG-Investigation" game based on tabletop ruleset

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not in defense of cyanide but what are these rpgs were you get substanially different outcomes in story and ways to play depending on what and how you skilled?
You're asking me? Who said anything about substantially different story outcome? Some RPGs have multiple endings but it's by no means required.

What is required imo is for builds to have substantial impact on moment to moment resolution that gets you to the end. Play the first dungeon of any "consensus RPG", say any Wizardry game, with a party of all fighters, then play it again with a party of all clerics. Either way you're solving the same problems, but I think you'll agree that you overcome your obstacles in significantly different ways. Here you're not killing goblins but traversing the environment and gathering information, but again how you do it is dictated by your build: break into the sewers with strength or sweet talk the policeman with charisma.

Cromwell

Arcane
Not in defense of cyanide but what are these rpgs were you get substanially different outcomes in story and ways to play depending on what and how you skilled?
You're asking me? Who said anything about substantially different story outcome? Some RPGs have multiple endings but it's by no means required.

What is required imo is for builds to have substantial impact on moment to moment resolution that gets you to the end. Play the first dungeon of any "consensus RPG", say any Wizardry game, with a party of all fighters, then play it again with a party of all clerics. Either way you're solving the same problems, but I think you'll agree that you overcome your obstacles in significantly different ways. Here you're not killing goblins but traversing the environment and gathering information, but again how you do it is dictated by your build: break into the sewers with strength or sweet talk the policeman with charisma.

I actually asked Barbarian but forgot to quote sorry. Roguey said it already, I also only remember AoD doing more than flavour as result of non combat skills, so from that perspective different approaches as CoC does it is good enough. I would put off hating on the mechanics until someone played it through more than one time to test the outcomes and what triggers them since people are not even sure how the ending choices work (someone said he could just choose while another one said he didnt even have the choices).

Barbarian

Arcane
Ending choices are done exclusively in the last conversation. That is confirmed. Previous actions, sanity meter and skills don't seem to play a role in which ending you get.

Different way of solving things based on your skills? Breaking into the warehouse and breaking into the hawkings mansion(both objectives from the start of the game and which have multiple ways to be reached). The rest of the game seems to be pretty much railroaded but it requires confirmation.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I would put off hating on the mechanics until someone played it through more than one time to test the outcomes and what triggers them since people are not even sure how the ending choices work (someone said he could just choose while another one said he didnt even have the choices).
Interesting, I didn't pick up on that. I wonder whether those choices are ultimately gated by your stats, i.e. if your Investigation is too low you might not find clue #1, 2, 3 and you can't unlock Ending B without them, Ending C is only available if you broke into the sewers with Strength to find clues #4, 5, 6, etc.

EDIT: Ninjad, Barbarian seems to think stats may not affect ending availability at all. Shame.

V_K

Arcane
I see two contradicting statements in this post:
Ending choices are done exclusively in the last conversation. That is confirmed. Previous actions, sanity meter and skills don't seem to play a role in which ending you get.
vs.
Like I said, I had only one option available. The other three were invisible because of things like sanity, drinking, reading books, giving an item to this guy or that guy, etc. It's hard to say what matters and what doesn't, but I guess it's better that way.
So which one is it?

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Perhaps move it to adventure games, where it apparently belongs; like other walking sims with minimal gameplay.
It's marketed as an RPG so that's what it is. :M
Meanwhile, The Sinking City is being marketed as an open world investigation game so it would not be here.
Eh. CoC qualifies as RPG due to substantial difference in options based on character build unless Barbarian is a liar.

If you call "substantial difference in options" some flavor dialogue and some different ways to solve things...

To be completely fair to the game the only way to confirm the weight of skills is to replay the game. But as of now it appears they kind of cheated us with that Darkwater first section which served as a demo(and which pretty much worked as an rpg in that department, with several alternate paths). Rest of the game seems to be mostly railroaded and filled with fake Telltale style choices.
Sounds familiar, like from a mythos game 15 years ago, minus the stupid telltale crap.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
vs.
Like I said, I had only one option available. The other three were invisible because of things like sanity, drinking, reading books, giving an item to this guy or that guy, etc. It's hard to say what matters and what doesn't, but I guess it's better that way.
So which one is it?

From what I understand there are 4 different endings and you can unlock all of them during the game but you don't get railroaded into a single ending as you are able to pick one of them in the end. Potentially you could unlock all 4 endings and then experience them all by choosing one of the endings and then loading the game and picking a different one. It's not like you do various choices and actions that lead you to a certain path/ending.

Funposter

Arcane
vs.
So which one is it?

From what I understand there are 4 different endings and you can unlock all of them during the game but you don't get railroaded into a single ending as you are able to pick one of them in the end. Potentially you could unlock all 4 endings and then experience them all by choosing one of the endings and then loading the game and picking a different one. It's not like you do various choices and actions that lead you to a certain path/ending.

wow i love deus ex human revolution

TheWorld

Educated
The last chapters are ridiculously bad and they ruin whatever good was scattered here and there in the game. Seriously, the part with the gun, and the following allucinating chapter where among the worst thing I've played in recent memory. Maybe i'm going to replay it in the future to check alternative builds but these last couple of days of gaming left me with a bad taste in my mouth, so I'm going to switch to something else.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
vs.
So which one is it?
The second one,it means the game fallow your choices and at the end it offers the available ones to the player. Barbarian just did all the shit in the game right and got all the options,thus he assumed that everyone will get them and there is not C&C.

Anyway,is the game any good? Also why is this thread in RPG subforum?

I've seen the other endings on YT but I can only guess what unlocks them.

All I can say with certainty is that for one of them you need a character that died in my playthrough.

The third is probably tied to your sanity which is reduced by up to 18 possible traumatic experiences. You start with one and it's the nightmares caused by the war and the first one you actually get is the hallucination you saw in the trailers and that I missed because my low STR prevented me from breaking into the sewers. So already from the very beginning going completely mad was not an option for me and in the end there was still a few question marks on my sanity page.

However, I've read that you can also reduce your sanity by drinking so that should in theory cover any question marks and subsequently unlock the third ending.

The fourth is perhaps unlocked by reading books about monsters or simply by remaining mostly sane. Maybe both? Maybe the same way drinking decreases your sanity, reading those books increases it? It would explain why I unlocked only one ending since I never drank and have read a book or two and was therefore neither completely sane nor completely insane, and it would also explain why I haven't seen anyone mention having all four options available. Three for a single playthrough might be the max.

One other thing I considered is related to the shooting section:

Two of the endings involve shooting and I remember running out of bullets.

Could be a non-factor, though.

Barbarian

Arcane
One other thing I considered is related to the shooting section:

Two of the endings involve shooting and I remember running out of bullets.

Could be a non-factor, though.

Non-factor. I ran out of bullets and the ending I got on my playthrough was the "fight destiny" one.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
What's the general consensus on this game, is it good? For those who can't read 22 pages.

Wunderbar

Arcane
What's the general consensus on this game, is it good?
It's not an rpg because there is barely any C&C and skills barely matter. It's not a survival horror, because there are no survival mechanics and no health or resource management. It's not an adventure, because puzzles are barely there and they are braindead easy. Stealth is poor. Shooting is even worse and you can shoot enemies in only one chapter (of 15). The story is full of plotholes.

Despite that, it's actually not that bad overall. Somehow it's ok.

Last edited:

Zombra

Patron
Everyone who got the game says they played it to completion so that's a good sign.
It's really short, like 8 hours.
True, but 8 hours is still a long time to keep going if something sucks.

Not worth the full price - this is a 100% consensus.
Sorry I didn't mention that before, but yes, nobody here has said it's worth the asking price. It's worth your time but not your money. Personally I like what I see but I'm waiting for it to hit the $20 area before I even think about it.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
This is one of those threads that serves as great flypaper for retards.

You can't always be sure who's retarded when discussing good and inclined PC games, since they take pains to hide their retardation—but in a thread like this one, their words and post ratings betray them, because they can't abide being mocked for enjoying a trash game.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Blaine The game doesn't seem to be trash, though. Just totally overpriced good-for-what-it-is.
Trash isn't even good for what it is - except maybe in a trash movie kind of way. But IMO games don't really work like that...

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Blaine The game doesn't seem to be trash, though. Just totally overpriced good-for-what-it-is.

Flies don't realize that they're laying their eggs in shit or know the difference between garbage and delicious candy, either, so this all ties neatly into my flypaper metaphor.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
This is more expensive than Pathmaker: Kingfinder for shorter play time. Ugh.

I liked the demo but I'll think 5 times before getting this.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
for shorter play time
Doubt that we will see a game that beats Kingmakers play time. A month later and there are only two people on the codex that managed to finish it

Jokes aside,kingmaker is 100 hours rpg. It will take years till we see such game.

existential_vacuum

.PNG Police
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I didn't see people mention here, that you can access the sewers in chapter 2 with low STR, but high enough Spot Hidden +M

Anyway, since the general consensus is "overpriced, but good for what it is" I'll add my two cents.

tl;dr - it's pretty shite
The dialogs are just bad past chapter 2 (the only real chapter in the game):
some character tells you expositional info in a cutscene and the next thing you ask after the cutscene is THE SAME FUCKING BULLSHIT YOU'VE BEEN TOLD 10 SECONDS AGO.
Dialog options aren't always what your character is going to say, but essentially it doesn't matter - it is linear adventure game with skills to make an illusion of choice and flavor options if you have high enough skill.
Sanity is a joke: Pierce is scarred of small spaces and dark, so you get speshuual effects when you crawl through a vent (I guess it may happen twice in entire game) or hide in a wardrobe (useless mechanic I used once). Traumatic events aren't presented as ones (fucking DCotE made use of sanity system: audio distortion, screen distortion, nonsensical mumbling of Jack even if were too overused - all of it worked, but this game made it only one time and then completely forgets about it).
Atmosphere is good and consistent, but that's not enough (and, imo, the color pallette is not dark or gloomy/bleak enough).
The plot could have been great, if they actually made some interesting decisions: Pierce losing his mind should have been pushed to the limit, but instead we get "let's make him roam the asylum with fog walls, portals, two lanterns and runes", "9 doors to open" puzzle or "you've been mumbling nonsense offscreen so you've been committed to asylum (again, DCotE made it better - Jack sees dead Ramona fucking everywhere to the point, it breaks him mentally and he blames himself);
Secondary characters should have stayed secondary and, spoiler, unplayable (!). It was one of the most ridiculous decisions and no, "'tis was a vishuuon" is not an answer.
Leviathan bits should have been more subtle, but everything is just spoon fed.

Overall, I wasted ~8 hours of my time for a linear adventure game with "it will affect your destiny" messages for every third action instead of playing either DCotE - flawed in many ways, but better game, or reading actual novel.
It may have been enjoyable experience if it was like chapter 2 all the way (forget the scares, puzzles, dialogs or plot, just make an rpg and roll with it), but it went downhill from there and never recovered.

EDIT: added some shite

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...urs-in-call-of-cthulhu-doesnt-seem-that-scary

Several hours in, Call of Cthulhu doesn't seem that scary

So many books in the old Hawkins place! Oh man, whole walls of the things. Books on shelves, books opened on tables and stacked in chairs. And in the playroom - such a sad playroom! - there's a fortress made of books laid out on the floor, with little wooden soldiers standing guard.

That's a nice moment, the fortress of books. I took a screenshot, I think. I certainly paused on my theoretically tense exploration of the theoretically creepy old mansion I was poking through. A nice breather ahead of the theoretically shocking jump-scare that waited ahead of me, and the theoretically heart-pounding mini-chase that followed. I am several hours into Call of Cthulhu by this point, and that fortress of books now lies far behind me. I am easily scared - by Netflix shows, by games, by real life with its strange shadows and sudden clattering sounds. And yet so far Call of Cthulhu has not scared me at all. Not even a little bit. I can't really imagine it becoming scary. And I think there are two reasons why.

Let's get a couple of things out of the way first. Isn't it the case that I haven't played enough to get to the scary stuff? This is certainly possible - and I am willing to believe that the game might scare the heck out of me by the end. And yet Call of Cthulhu is theoretically scary from the very start. From the first sequence it's chucking stuff at you which feels like it's A-grade material. I don't think I'm simply trudging through the slow burn moments. I think the stuff it's trying to pull isn't working the way it should.

jpg

And this is the other thing: I really like Call of Cthulhu. It's clearly done on a budget - ropy animations, basic environments, very strangely lit teeth in everyone's head - but there's real care and effort put in, I reckon. It's the kind of game you root for, and I love the way it's picked its battles. No combat, at least not yet anyway. A character sheet with various attributes that basically just tie into creating better dialogue options and the ability to spot additional things as you wander around the environments. A pleasant flow of each level that mixes up snooping around, chatting to people, and doing a bit of slightly clumsy stealth and some very light item-based puzzling. You almost always know what to do, and you always know what's at stake. And to add a bit of a thrill, almost everything in the environment ties into a sanity meter, which sees the character you control - a shell-shocked and heavy-drinking PI down on his luck - slipping closer and closer to unreliable narrator territory. Even now, I can imagine all the divergent endings. Even now I can imagine replaying the game to try and get the best ending - which is probably also the worst ending, since this is Lovecraft after all?

Oh yes, and it's Lovecraft by the shovel-load. Spooky fishing villages. Rotting sharks with strange bites taken out of 'em. Cultists toiling in the gloom. Hospitals staffed by sinister doctors. Everyone looks dessicated and addled, as if they were left on the vinyl back seat of an old Mazda during a heatwave. Everyone has bad dreams and nobody sleeps without the aid of pills anymore. I dread the night, me. The dreams it brings! Newspaper clippings and pages from old letters hint at a deep and very thorough conspiracy. Everything you ask about burned down 10 years ago. (Maybe not that last part, but you get the gist.)

So why isn't it scaring me so far? Partly I think it's Lovecraft. The unknown horrors he trades in are now terribly, terribly known. Tentacle gods in the basement? So glad you could make it - do try a vol-au-vent! (It's the most Lovecraftian of the dinner party snacks, though cheese footballs certainly have their uncanny moments.) Infernal geometry? Isn't infernal geometry a right old annoyance when you're buying a home? Lovecraft's secret cults have had their secrets thoroughly blown over the last century. We know where this guy likes to hide his biggest frights. His star-heads and octopus-men are getting older and older, and since he's long, long dead, he hasn't been able to update them in a while. Without the surprise - and with the actual Lovecraft licence, you had better be sure to offer us the subterranean city of corpses and cyclopean architecture we're expecting or we're all leaving disappointed - what Lovecraft gives you is a sense of brooding unease, a sense of green-tinged claustrophobia. (Seriously, I just mistyped 'Cthulhu', and Google Docs stepped in to fix it for me - this nameless horror has a name, and Google will even help you spell it.)

jpg

In truth, I reckon you absolutely can still be scared by Lovecraft, but you have to bring something pretty fresh, something pretty unexpected. Are you watching The Haunting of Hill House on Netflix at the moment? It's scary, I think, because it's suddenly all about family. You can take the Shirley Jackson out of it and it stands up on its own.

So if you take Lovecraft out of Call of Cthulhu, what do you get? So far - and again, I'm just under halfway through, so what do I know? - what you get is the other part of the problem. Deep down, for its first few hours, Call of Cthulhu is plucky and likeable and ultimately entirely competent. It's a competent game. Its systems are nicely implemented - okay stealth is a bit annoying at times - but, like Lovecraft himself, they are deeply known.

What this means is that, after ten minutes of acclimatising yourself, you are exploring something that you pretty much already understand. This is the real problem: genre and its tells. Here's a crime scene I need to restore in my imagination: I know I need to squeeze the triggers and then spot a certain number of clues. Here's a desk drawer I can open: I can almost see the open-the-drawer icon appearing on it before it does because I am so sure it will be there. The icon changes the nature of the place I am exploring - no longer a creepy grotto, say, but a space filled with interactive spots I had better get on and interact with. Do I want to level up my occult and medical skills? You bet I do - so I'd better track down the items that allow me to do that. And I'd better use up all the dialogue options on everybody I meet. I had better completer-finisher the conversations and the exploration!

So many games fall into this trap, I think, and it's barely a trap because it makes for pleasant busywork. But horror is a bit like comedy: you're hoping that something magical arises from the simple pieces you have before you.

And when the pieces are likeable and competent and familiar? In those cases those very qualities are orienting you so firmly that it's possible that the magic might never happen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom