Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best Recruitable NPC / Sidekick In The History of CRPG's?

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Mass Effect companions are objectively more developed than any golden age RPG companions, and my blueberry waifu is objectively the
Best Recruitable NPC / Sidekick In The History of CRPG's!

Mark Richard

Arcane
I have two names in mind - a serious character, and a comedy character.

"It is such a quiet thing to fall, but far more terrible is to admit it."

My serious character has to be Kreia from Knights of the Old Republic 2. Obsidian always had such a plodding exhaustive writing style, and she compliments it perfectly, somehow making the mountains of exposition sound compelling. Her backstory is even more fascinating, and there are many layers to peel back if you manage to gain her trust.

"Pay attention to me!"

My comedy character is Wahooka from Stonekeep, who's desperately trying to impress the protagonist without making it seem like he's trying to impress the protagonist. He's like a senile old berk who doesn't use contractions and begins many of his lines with a frustrated 'Bah!'. Also he happens to be green. Apparently this is a Star Wars post.

bataille

Arcane
edb45084216850ee64e5e9dba79c0565.jpg

Serus

Arcane
Patron
It's between Mad Dog, Conrad, Steroid and Gus Tarballs. :smug:

Mad Dog's: "Sure they look like I'm the crazy man, but they are the crazy ones! One day, I will kill them all.." - makes me think of the Codex for some reason.

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
I cant fucking believe it's page two and no one bother to fix the fucking misrememberment.

:baka::x:shunthenonbeliever:

Grace: "Annah, were you raised in the Hive?"
Annah: "Mind yer own business, Succubus, I've nothin' to say to ya."

Top five most memorable banter in PST.

vazha

Arcane
what about the drunken dwarf in dao
By the tits of my ancestors! Olgren was pretty good, yes.

some of my favourite companions have already been mentioned in this thread (Morte, Edwin, Jan) but I am surprized nobody's mentioned Deekin. That kobold was the first and last time I genuinely cared for a npc and tried my best to get him out of harms way. The fact he stays with you for the final fight, telling the archdemon to go stuff himself is just icing on the cake.

Ventidius

Arbiter
While I generally don't care too much for premade companions - I'm partial towards walking spreadsheets - I gotta say I always have had a soft spot for Keldorn, if nothing else because he manages to come off as human despite being such a pure archetype. Plus, I like the actual archetype he represents. It helps that he is actually good gameplay-wise thanks to that Inquisitor class kit, you just gotta slap the Brawling Hands on him to salvage his low Dex and he's set.

Other than that, Boone was pretty cool.

Jason Liang

Arcane
We had a similar thread two years ago here:
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...avorite-companions.112156/page-4#post-4889928

My choices haven't changed much. If I ranked them:

1 ) Lia Parapara Leazas from Rance Quest, Rance X
2 ) Shizuka Masou from Rance II, III, IV, Kichikou Rance, Rance VI, Rance Quest, Rance IX, Rance X
3 ) MIEU from Phantasy Star III
4 ) Pope Crook Mofus from Rance Quest, Rance IX, Rance X
5 ) Ranarokarc Super Gandhi from Kichikou Rance, Rance VI, Rance X
6 ) Gobbet from Shadowrun: Hong Kong
7 ) Aerie from Baldur's Gate 2
8 ) Patton Misanage from Kichikou Rance, Rance VI, Rance IX, Rance X
9 ) Quistis from Final Fantasy VIII
10 ) Uruza Planeis from Rance VI, Sengoku Rance, Rance Quest, Rance X
11 ) Copandon Dott from Rance 5D, Rance VI, Rance Quest, Rance X
12 ) Suzume from Sengoku Rance, Rance Quest
13 ) La Hawzel from Rance X
14 ) Racter from Shadowrun: Hong Kong
15 ) Kanami Kentou from Rance III, Rance IV, Rance VI, Sengoku Rance, Rance Quest, Rance IX, Rance X
16 ) Nagi su Ragarl from Rance X
17 ) Eiger from Shadowrun: Dragonfall

Not many characters from Sengoku Rance, oddly.

Dorateen

Arcane
Ougo the Strange from Treasures of the Savage Frontier. He was a cleric inmate from an asylum colony, who would outsmart the local administrator by branding him. Ougo injected comments once in the party that were off the wall and clever, filling the role of a light-hearted comic relief character. Never overstaying his welcome, he was an NPC done right, one who has nothing to do with romance or emotional engagement.

game_045.png

Jason Liang

Arcane
9 ) Quistis from Final Fantasy VIII

Really? She's so bland I have trouble describing her in general, never mind whatever appeal she could possibly have.
She's your best card early on, she uses a whip, and her blue magic mechanic is made for people with OCD. While it's true that she burns through most of her character development in the first two disks, really the only regular NPC member with actual character development throughout the game is Rinoa and honestly there's just something too forced about Rinoa.

Quistis having very little actual dialogue also means you can project whatever personality you want onto her.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Virgil from Arcanum. One of the few NPC's whose backstory and character development perfectly fit into all the themes the mainquest has to offer.

Last edited:
Annah-of-the-Shadows. She could've been just a stereotypical rough-talking sweet-hearted tsundere woman of questionable reputation, but she was written with relatable flaws, insecurities, opinions about things - well, she was just awesome. I know that I'm in minority here, but I always preferred Annah to FFG.
ujbWnCQ.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom