Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best Recruitable NPC / Sidekick In The History of CRPG's?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Arcanum's dog.

When buffed with Hands of Stone, Agility of Fire, Haste and Timestop (or was it Mass Haste?) it can almost kill the final boss in 1 turn

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Annah-of-the-Shadows. She could've been just a stereotypical rough-talking sweet-hearted tsundere woman of questionable reputation, but she was written with relatable flaws, insecurities, opinions about things - well, she was just awesome. I know that I'm in minority here, but I always preferred Annah to FFG.
ujbWnCQ.jpg

You and me buddy. Anna was the best.

v1rus

Arcane
There is something irresistibly tasty about Geoffrey Tarrelond-Ashe and his so-overdone-evil-guy voice acting.

That aside, Kotor 2 has a pretty great cast, with a really developed inter-party relationship. For some reason, I always had a special sweet spot for Bao-Dur. Something about him constantly calling you "general" is so :love:

These choices are more of a "favorite" kind tho.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
From recent games, I like Mirke, the constantly drunk female pirate in Deadfire a lot. She is comedy gold and has the perfect VO.

vota DC

Augur
It's between Mad Dog, Conrad, Steroid and Gus Tarballs. :smug:

Mad Dog's: "Sure they look like I'm the crazy man, but they are the crazy ones! One day, I will kill them all.." - makes me think of the Codex for some reason.

First two are recruitable NPC but Steroid and Gus can exists only as playable characters.
Same for Haywire other character of same game with great quotes.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
It's between Mad Dog, Conrad, Steroid and Gus Tarballs. :smug:

Mad Dog's: "Sure they look like I'm the crazy man, but they are the crazy ones! One day, I will kill them all.." - makes me think of the Codex for some reason.

First two are recruitable NPC but Steroid and Gus can exists only as playable characters.
Same for Haywire other character of same game with great quotes.
Meh, let's not be so anal about it. You don't create them, they have "personalities" on their own, even their own agenda of sorts (likes and dislikes of other mercenaries that might even result in leaving your employ). That's good enough to qualify in my book, if not as NPCs then as "sidekicks" mentioned in the title. And they are very memorable - for me at least.

Barbalos

Savant
I may say Dakkon. I liked how he was deeply troubled after the events before the game, and you could either lead him out of his disillusionment, or entrap him. He wasn't overly complicated, and was 'smart' but not smart enough to regain his faith without you.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some other characters though.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Chrono Trigger has a lot of amazing companions. Chrono Cross, Lunar, Phantasy Star, etc. In general, JRPGs have better companions than western rpgs.

PorkBarrellGuy

Chrono Trigger has a lot of amazing companions. In general, JRPGs have better companions than western rpgs.

Varies wildly from JRPG to JRPG, and it usually is a tradeoff with the MC being a boring-ass blank slate of some sort. Still, if we're including things like JRPGs, I'll toss in perhaps Alys from Phantasy Star IV or Celes from FFVI

PorkBarrellGuy

i mean, if we're going to include JRPGs then there's no point in even continuing talking about CRPGs: JRPG companions will always win.

JRPGs aren't all great for companions. You have ones that are almost as irrelevant as they are uninteresting in JRPGs. Gau, possibly Setzer, Quina, things like that.

Tigranes

Arcane
Outside PST, a write-in vote for Miltiades

You may say, but he's not a recruitable NPC!

My friend, you do not recruit Miltiades, he recruits YOU

I don't think anyone mentioned Glory from Dragonfall yet. Mostly for her fucked up backstory.

And to keep a note of weaboery:
latest

But the absolute best one is Calvin Barkmore.

Ian is pretty memorable
5YUvkPe.jpg

LkBOVzE.jpg

Most dependable guy no doubt.

Last edited:

Erebus

Arcane
I would have loved more lore on FFG.

Fall from Grace is my favorite CRPG companion and I think it's actually for the best that we're not told everything about her.

Modern CRPGs have a tendency to make companions tell us everything about themselves, in the belief that it makes them more interesting. But I think it's a mistake. What's told in details is not necessarily more eloquent than what is merely suggested. And leaving things unsaid can really strike the imagination.

For instance : Fall from Grace is a succubus (chaotic evil by nature), but her alignment is lawful neutral and she behaves pretty much as if she were lawful good. Her personality owes a lot to the time she spent as a slave to the baatezu. Ravel points out that going against your true nature is extremely painful, and Grace admits it if you ask her about it. But she doesn't go into details. She doesn't explain how exactly her original nature conflicts with the personality she's developed. And I think it's better that way, because explanations and details would add nothing useful, and would hinder the player's imagination.

Saduj

Arcane
Saduj from Ultima V.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom