Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best Recruitable NPC / Sidekick In The History of CRPG's?

Don Peste

Arcane
02j15wABgqZ3FgN8qVTDIiHx6VCfohAA44MNxtJJ_S4.jpg

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Annah-of-the-Shadows. She could've been just a stereotypical rough-talking sweet-hearted tsundere woman of questionable reputation, but she was written with relatable flaws, insecurities, opinions about things - well, she was just awesome. I know that I'm in minority here, but I always preferred Annah to FFG.
ujbWnCQ.jpg
She was helped quite a bit by her VO too. I think FFG was the better character, but Annah was more memorable and part of that was her voice actress.

laclongquan

Arcane
9 ) Quistis from Final Fantasy VIII

Really? She's so bland I have trouble describing her in general, never mind whatever appeal she could possibly have.

Brocon Genius Career Lady who get rejected.

But yeah, she used up her all-too-few scenes in first half and not much advance in the last half...

Rinoa is "daughter of Papa's old flame" idea. To be frank, her concept is too shallow. Without her role in the main story she would get left behind way earlier. Ingame ranking, she's third-met girl, behind Quistis and Selphie. By game/novel/anime logic she should have been no way in line to be main romance interest. That she is is another proof that FF8 is innovative in a strong way compared to the usual RPGs.

Last edited:

PorkBarrellGuy

9 ) Quistis from Final Fantasy VIII

Really? She's so bland I have trouble describing her in general, never mind whatever appeal she could possibly have.

Brocon Genius Career Lady who get rejected.

But yeah, she used up her all-too-few scenes in first half and not much advance in the last half...

Rinoa is "daughter of Papa's old flame" idea. To be frank, her concept is too shallow. Without her role in the main story she would get left behind way earlier. Ingame ranking, she's third-met girl, behind Quistis and Selphie. By game/novel/anime logic she should have been no way in line to be main romance interest. That she is is another proof that FF8 is innovative in a strong way compared to the usual RPGs.

Selphie is fairly sweet-natured but she has just a touch of "pEnGuIn Of DoOm!!1! waffles!!!" randomshit that kind of puts me off

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
She was helped quite a bit by her VO too. I think FFG was the better character, but Annah was more memorable and part of that was her voice actress.
Oh, for those long ago days when CRPG developers spent scarce funding on celebrity voice-actors, like Sheena Easton or Patrick Stewart.
lol26.png
:M

wyes gull

Savant
Gotta show some appreciation for the PTSD'd axe murderer from Dead State, Getz.

MaxGetz.png

Oh, the gay ranger was pretty good too.

Last edited:

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
i really loved the nwn2 gang. did avellone write any of those? i think neeshka was one for sure.

Actually, I thought Bishop was a good character in NWN 2 (no pun intended). It was nice to have a chaotic evil character that wasn't the usual batshit crazy CE template.

turkishronin

Arcane
Annah was too annoying because tsunderes are shit.
Falls-from-grace was too boring and I was pretty glad for having the opportunity to throw the flying skeleton into the bone mountain.
Best companion was Ignus because.... burning man cool!

Max Damage

Savant
Elmo is pretty much the best recruitable fighter (arguably, best henchman too) in Temple of Elemental Evil: costs 200 gold, is level 4, has pretty good equipment, and doesn't take anywhere as much loot as other henchmen (he takes 50% of gold in game where most of your cash comes from jewelry). He later becomes fighter/ranger, which makes him better than his brother in my eyes. Also, he doesn't pick up weapons/armor and become slow as snail like Fruella.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Torian Kel.

Oh yeah, you are right. Quite complex for an "evil" companion. And you learned so much about the history of the world only by talking with him.

On that note: Z'an Al'urin, also from Arcanum. She's smartly written and gives one of the characters (who's also awesome to have with you) a very epic takedown. Quite impressive for such a late character. When Troika had the time, Arcanum had very compelling characters.

Binky

Cipher
Grumpos from Anachronox. Also, Luis the Armoire from PST should have been a companion.

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
i really loved the nwn2 gang. did avellone write any of those? i think neeshka was one for sure.

Actually, I thought Bishop was a good character in NWN 2 (no pun intended). It was nice to have a chaotic evil character that wasn't the usual batshit crazy CE template.
Bishop was fine except for the whole THIS GUY WILL OBVIOUSLY BETRAY YOU thing. Well ok I just won't take him along then. LOL NO YOU HAVE TO HAHAHA

Regongar from Kingmaker is a better CE character.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
I like Gaichu from Shadowrun : Hong Kong.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom