Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Daggerfall Unity isnt Vaporware

Miles Davis or John Coltrane?

• Miles Davis

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • John Coltrane

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • Kenny G (kc response)

Votes: 68 41.5%

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Does this overhaul add custom quests, NPCs, factions and other similar content
It's not an overhaul. It's just putting Daggerfall into the Unity engine, allowing for things such as modding, far higher view distances and high resolution support. Think of it as a source port with some additional gameplay options.
To answer your question: No. That's something that will be left to modders.

Luzur

Good Sir
Notebook, Enemy Spellcasting, And Bug Fixes
Posted on October 29, 2018 by Interkarma

To cap off a great month of progress, we have one more round of builds for October. This was going to be a solely bug-fix build, but amazing work kept on rolling in and I’ve decided to get these new features out to you now rather than wait until November.

Enemy Spellcasting (Allofich)
Building on top of my work on the magic & effect system, Allofich has wired up foes to hurl spells back at the player. This means ancient liches and vampires are serious threats again, imps are more than just a nuisance, and scorpions and spiders will just wreck your happy feelings with paralysis.

A lot of work was required in enemy AI to select spells based on touch or range. Enemies might stand their ground and hurl a fireball, or approach and attack player with a touch spell. And unlike in classic where the monster’s entire payload of spells are released instantly, they now make more intelligent decisions and release spells at sensible casting intervals. I can’t put into words just how amazing Allofich’s work on this has been. Magic in Daggerfall Unity suddenly doesn’t feel quite so one-sided, and magical encounters have become very dangerous again.

Here’s a short video where I pick a fight with some denizens of Mannimarco’s lair. Everything goes about as well as expected.

direct link to gfy

placeholder.png
placeholder.png
placeholder.png
placeholder.png

Player Notebook & Journal Upgrade (Hazelnut)
The Notebook feature (default key N) didn’t really do anything in classic Daggerfall and did not exist at all in Daggerfall Unity until now. This is one of those features I didn’t know how much I needed until I actually played with it. In typical Hazelnut fashion, he hasn’t just implemented a basic notebook, he’s completely upgraded the quest journal and carefully thought out how everything fits together. Here are the highlights of using our upgraded journal.

Record Conversations
If an NPC drops an interesting rumour in conversation, hit “copy to logbook” button to make a note of it. You can copy just the most recent message or the entire conversation if you want.

Travel Helper
My favourite new feature is the ability to click on an entry in Active Quests to initiate fast travel to that location. This is a huge quality of life improvement over remembering name and entering it into the “find” box on travel map manually. Just click the journal entry and hit Yes to load up the location for fast travel.

Completed Quests
Rather than vanish forever, you will now have a record of quests you’ve completed. This is nice way to look back and see what you’ve achieved with the character so far.

Map Log
Sometimes you will find maps in the game, or they will be given to you as a reward from a quest. Up until now, you’ve had to write these down and track yourself. In a perfect example of rounding out a feature, Hazelnut’s upgrade will track maps given to you from all sources. This feature even required improvements to quests, there’s no question he went the extra mile on this one.

Cycle Through Journal Windows
No matter if you open the quest log or notebook, they’re all part of the same UI. Click the “dialog notes” button to cycle through Active Quests, Completed Quests, and Notebook. Everything is nicely integrated. Of course if you open the Journal log (default L) it will go straight to Active Quests, and if you open Notebook (default N) it will go directly there instead.

Arrow Counter (Hazelnut)
A small but very nice feature is an arrow counter next to compass for archers. This is on by default, but you can toggle off using Enhanced > Interface > Arrow counter in startup UI.

Geographic Backgrounds (Hazelnut)
This feature is off by default and can be enabled from Enhanced > Interface > Geographic backgrounds. It repurposes the racial background portraits to instead display based on where the player is in the world. Here are some examples:

Woodlands

Dungeon

Town

This feature so seamlessly reuses those background portraits it’s hard to not believe they were designed for this in the first place. This feature was created after a suggestion by Helegad in this forum post.

Improvements
Other than new features above there are many smaller improvements in this round of builds.

• Upgrade to use new VideoPlayer class for modded videos (TheLacus)
  • Mesh and texture injection renamed to AssetInjection and is now enabled by default (TheLacus)
  • Can now import books from modded locations (TheLacus)
  • Can now change name from character sheet – note this will change how subsequent saves are grouped for this character (Hazelnut)
  • Click and hold on up/down spinners to automatically keep increasing values (Hazelnut)
  • Can now use Ctrl+Click to split item stacks (Petchema)
  • All sounds now respect volume slider, including UI and movies (Allofich)
  • Can now open spellbook from character sheet (default F5) and spellbook (default Backspace)
  • Implemented “sort” button in spellbook. This currently sorts by alpha

Bug Fixes
And a good number of bug fixes too! Thank you everyone for pulling together and prioritising bug fixes, the game is better every day thanks to you all.

• Fix for old saves throwing an exception (Allofich)
  • Fix no miss sound when player dodges (Allofich)
  • AI fixes (Allofich)
  • Can now sneak while riding again like classic (Allofich)
  • Fixed wrong text on Pacify effect (Allofich)
  • Stop fast travel countdown when cancelling (Allofich)
  • Fix starting skills rollout to classic (Allofich)
  • Only show “you feel somewhat bad” HUD text when player is poisoned (Allofich)
  • Fix for travel costs being negative (Allofich)
  • Fix parsing character background questions (Allofich)
  • Fix for enum that broke old letters of credit – note that new letters of credit since this bug must be discarded or manually fixed in save (Allofich)
  • Fix shop titles with %rt macro (Hazelnut)
  • Handle certain bad faction data by gracefully logging error rather than throw exception (Hazelnut)
  • Fix special handling of temple buildings – can now Akatosh Chantry by visiting Order of the Hour (Hazelnut)
  • Fix stat allocation for custom characters to cap at 75 and allow pool to go negative (Hazelnut)
  • Catch exception when weapon breaks (Hazelnut)
  • Fix travel from ship to use boarding location (Hazelnut)
  • Fix entrance/exit marker not showing on dungeon automap (Nystul)
  • Fix for automap freeze when tooltips disabled (Nystul)
  • Fix reputation change box not appearing (Numidium)
  • More fixes to item stacking – will no longer stack equipped or enchanted ingredients (Petchema)
  • Workaround for Unity 2012.2.x input bug under Linux where Shift/Tab/Alt, etc. show up as ? – note this can still happen in console UI
  • Fix for spellbook not being imported from classic saves
  • Fix for duplicate building key 0 causing certain buildings not to be displayed in Talk UI
  • Fix for HUD closing after accepting certain quests
  • Fix incorrect item generation from biography questions resulting in blank items

Conclusion
After such a huge month, I’m taking a short break from the magic system and will instead prioritise several fixes to gameplay and quest system. We must have a nice tick-tock between adding new features and fixing problems. And after so many ticks in one month, we really need to catch a breath and just settle into a stable build. This means the next month or two won’t be quite so flush with new gameplay features, instead they will continue to improve the experience we have so far.

I feel this release is probably very close to 0.5 stable. We’ll be rolling into 0.6 very soon, which kicks off the final push to feature parity with classic Daggerfall.

For more frequent updates on Daggerfall Unity, follow me on Twitter @gav_clayton.

https://www.dfworkshop.net/

illuknisaa

Cipher
Honestly those HD textures look incredibly ugly. The game's geometry isn't designed to support those textures visually. There is that mod that wants to update all the models too with and it has cool textures but even then I think it doesn't look that good because the game is so barren of detail.

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Any idea when this baby will be ready to hit the road?

I'm ready to return to the real Tamriel.

Pretty playable right now, check out the roadmap. There are some cool mods too. Some of the biggest things that are still missing are vampire and werewolf mechanics.

I think he is spiralling uncrontrolled into the insane abyss, but he uploads some nice DaggerUnity vids

Absolutely, his videos are good to track the progress and to inform what's going on with the game. But at the same time, it's following a mans descent into certain madness. Poor guy, what is it with streamers like him often sounding like small mammals that scavenge for food?

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
TFW Daggerfall Unity might end up being better than Elder Scrolls 6.

He really has lost it, hasn't he? Those chipmunk female voices caused a very uncomfortable laugh from me. He didn't know a single female, or figure out a voice changer, to record it?

Wizards have no need for female company.

Skdursh

Savant
I haven't been following this in a while. Does this overhaul add custom quests, NPCs, factions and other similar content or are the improvements primarily focused on graphics, sound and gameplay features?

main project is basic Daggerfall fully working + add in modding and also re-introduce allt he missing stuff from the original game that was cut, like sieges, more politics etc etc

Then you have the mods like HD textures, new enemies, new quests, new stuff

Like this one for example:

Tedious Travel 0.1.2
Post by jedidia » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:22 pm

Tedious Travel

A travel mod for daggerfall unity to make traveling more tedious. Because there's weirdoes like me who find that strangely immersive.

In explicit, the classic daggerfall "click-and-be-there" style of fast travel is removed from the game.
Instead, you'll actually be traversing daggerfall, with a convienient "autopilot" and adjustable time compression.

Download Tedious Travel 0.1.2
Source code on GitHub
tedioustravel.jpg

A low-level character will require about 4 minutes real time for a good days travel. I made it from Gothway Garden to Daggerfall in about half an hour real time on horseback,
though at least half of that time was spent chatting people up at ins, which are now suddenly very, very useful landmarks.

Honestly, I really don't see the point to mods like this at all. Literally all you need to do is not use the fast-travel option if you prefer not to use the fast-travel option. There is no real reason to remove it from the game entirely. My version of this mod is just telling someone to have a little self-control and not to use fast-travel..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom