Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sykar

Arcane
Unless you can flee from combat slow and hold won't kill them or deal damage. Any smart AT will of course utilize other spells to complement the party and their attack spells.
Slow and hold prevent them from mauling your party, though. You can always try to summon spam in order to get your flanking, but at the level my party was, not even my druid's boar and Valerie could tank the three of them at the same time. And you need to flank to land sneak attacks.

Well sure there might be situations where you won't get sneak attacks in but that is the same for everyone not just ATs. The problem here is not wether you can or cannot apply sneak attacks, that is a different issue. The issue is when you can getting three times sneak attacks in conjunction with already high damage spells let these spells sky rocket in terms of damage especially when they crit.

There is also a point I forgot to touch. It seems like the player never encounters ATs which utilize the same type of build high sneak attack rays. Imagine for a second a group with an AT or even more. Suddenly you are at the receiving end of 200+ damage spells or 350+ damage on the rare crit? Do you for a second believe that anyone in your group will survive this? Worse if this is Hellfire Ray you might not even be able to revive the character unless that feature is not implemented yet.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
You are ignoring that fire resistance/immunity is most common trait, especially at high levels
You're not Cael

This game has about 2 bosses who are fire immune and 1 early enemy in act 2, that is it. Endgame enemies have fire 10 (which is nothing) and immunity to Cold.

So feel free to roll a full fire blaster and burn everything. I did on Hard and trivialized most fights starting Wizard level 5.
I didn't reach end game of P:KM yet but my conversation with Sykar is more about PnP atm since it is based on my complaint that AT can get too many caster levels too fast atm.

As far as the game is concerned, I completely agree that the current implementation of AT, sneak attacks and spells is way too OP.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Are you sure? Irovetti's pet, the thing in the dungeon, this 27 lvl sorcerer and many other mobs I met were completely immune to fire and most of mind-affecting spells
And how many dozens if not hundreds enemies in the same Act are not immune? And are you sure these were not just protective spells?

The fact is there are very few enemies you actually have trouble with which are immune.
It's Ithuliak and Final Boss of the game. But even Finall Boss also have 4 waves of extra enemies which are not immune.
Everything else burns really nice.
Let's go through acts:
Act 1: everything burns, having 6 Burning Hands allows to deal with swarms too, Staglord camp: Web > Fireball
Act 2: Branded Trolls, but everything else burns, Web > Fireball
Act 3: Womb of Lamashtu is basically "use fire!", Octavia sneak attacks hydras & Giant Massive Enraged Flying Primal Owlbear for massive damage
Act 4: Some optional demons, but everything else: Barbarians, Undead & Soul Eaters: burns, burns, burns
Act 5: Waves of human enemies, they all burn
Act 6: Wild Hunt, into Sirocco they go
Act 7: Wild Hunt, into Sirocco they go

mind-affecting
Oh, that is obvious, yeah, it is a common thing with Fey too, they get racial bonuses/immunity.

I am playing Enchanter in Beta now and almost had ggwp level 2 by meeting 4 random skeletons on the road. Then I go save tristian, Inspect - oops, all enemies are Animal 5, meaning all level 1 Enchant spells don't work. Panic, speccing into Conjuration for Glitterdust. Larping pacifist sorceress who only uses Enchant/Illusion and maybe summons.
I also realised since there is no Charm Person, it means both my Thassalonian level 1 slots will forever be dead weight.
Filed a Suggestion through button to change them or add Charm Person. Demand banalce. At least let me be effective my 90% of 50% of the time!
Can't wait for Sycamore depths, where everything is immune to color spray and most of other stuff. Maybe Fascinate will work, idk. Can you fascinate Giant Centepide? We shall find out.

P.S. All kobolds and mites are LAWFUL evil! Valerie you dumbfuck, why you want to kill them?

Last edited:

hell bovine

Arcane
Well sure there might be situations where you won't get sneak attacks in but that is the same for everyone not just ATs. The problem here is not wether you can or cannot apply sneak attacks, that is a different issue. The issue is when you can getting three times sneak attacks in conjunction with already high damage spells let these spells sky rocket in terms of damage especially when they crit.
But that's not the point I was trying to make. I agree (and I'm repeating myself here) that sneak attack is ridiculous and should be toned down. However, in the context of actually playing the game, and not some hypothetical situations, I find disabling spells to be more useful so far than sneak attacks, and would not delay wizard spell progression for it.

I am playing Enchanter in Beta now and almost had ggwp level 2 by meeting 4 random skeletons on the road. Then I go save tristian, Inspect - oops, all enemies are Animal 5, meaning all level 1 Enchant spells don't work. Panic, speccing into Conjuration for Glitterdust. Larping pacifist sorceress who only uses Enchant/Illusion and maybe summons.
Serpentine bloodline. :P

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
But that's not the point I was trying to make. I agree (and I'm repeating myself here) that sneak attack is ridiculous and should be toned down. However, in the context of actually playing the game, and not some hypothetical situations, I find disabling spells to be more useful so far than sneak attacks, and would not delay wizard spell progression for it.

That is personal preference though and the wizard is not the only one with disabling spells at his disposal.

Israfael

Arcane
I find disabling spells to be more useful so far than sneak attacks, and would not delay wizard spell progression for it.
If it's only one wizard in the party, yes, but if you have two, it's hard to say no to 150 damage machine gun that is lv2 maximized ray.
And how many dozens if not hundreds enemies in the same Act are not immune? And are you sure these were not just protective spells?
It's all a matter of proportionality - those trash mobs can be dealt with a myriad of other ways (just letting nok nok shred each one individually, for example), but really tough mobs will be a cockblock for a dedicated elementalist (like fire-immune golems, for example). In other words, I'm not talking about lack of complete usage, but rather NWN2 style mass empowered DBF spam vs more thoughtful playstyle. Besides, as Illusionist wiz, I'm even more constrained (basically my spec slots are filled with a variety of heightened PK / blur)

Reinhardt

Arcane
My Octavia literally used 1(one) damaging spell in last 10-15 hours - to finish downed tree monster with negative energy.

Shadenuat

Arcane
It's all a matter of proportionality - those trash mobs can be dealt with a myriad of other ways (just letting nok nok shred each one individually, for example)
No such thing as trash mobs on Hard-Unfair really. And Wild Hunt is far from trash mobs. Golems are a block for anyone but Conjurers.

My experience: blaster works just fine.

Sorcerers are animu trash. My mother was a werewolf, my aunt was legolas, right :bunkertime:

My Octavia literally used 1(one) damaging spell in last 10-15 hours - to finish downed tree monster with negative energy.
If you're not filling her slots with Snowballs and Scorching Rays (if she is AT) you're missing on the whole idea.

Cael

Arcane
So one dip in rogue is recomended for everybody?
Vivisecionist over Rogue.

Rogue does provide free Weapon Finesse though, it can be in some cases preferable to Mutagen.
I can see that, and I do agree with you to a large extent. I am just not convinced that a Dex build is not a trap unless you are building a ranged physical attacker (e.g., archer). Strength automatically gives a bonus to-hit and to damage plus carrying capacity. Dex, on the other hand, requires one more feat to just match what Strength does.

You can also do a Knife Master 1, Wiz 3, A. Trickster X. I just dumped strength since most damage is going to come from spells and sneak attack anyway, the 8 sided sneak dices overcome my puny strength damage modifier by the mid levels, as an arcane trickster I don't care for 1 alchemist spell slot for shield / true strike and oh yes, I forget bow, two handed weapons ofc to trigger sneak attack as much as possible while spells are used mostly for disables and self protection in the front lines, you are pretty sustainable with mage armor and shield pretty early, and later you are just untouchable as long as you maintain your prots up, and of course you can always open a fight with nice AOE SA. This build requires DEX and INT, there's no room for strength no matter how nice it would be, not enough points.

For this case I think Rogue Knife Master >>> Vivisectionst.
If you are going any form of arcane caster, you should be doing your SA from range. Just have summons or two of your tanks up front and SA everything from range for tons of damage. You don't want to melee, which is what my post was aimed at.

Reinhardt

Arcane
If you're not filling her slots with Snowballs and Scorching Rays (if she is AT) you're missing on the whole idea.
Usually my monk start exploding enemies while other party members are still preparing for charge so i rarely need any support.

Shadenuat

Arcane
You guys wanna see something interesting which is not in patch notes?

YcpcZC1.jpg

Shadenuat

Arcane
Hotfix 1.0.16 – November, 9th 2018 - Feedback thread
Hello everyone!

Dear pathfinders,
Version 1.1 is almost here! To get ready for it, we are launching an open beta-test. It is going to run for about a week, and anyone who owns the game can participate. All you need to do is switch to the "betatest" branch and enter the code "Ms0SJWRhSRuo". Find detailed info and instructions over here: https://owlcatgames.com/content/beta-test

The test will be first available for Windows users, with Mac and Linux joining them in about 3 days. As for reporting bugs, you will be able to do that via a special button inside the game. We are very grateful to everyone who decides to take part in this test and help us make this game even better! Your feedback and continued support are invaluable to us!

One more thing. We keep receiving a lot of questions and suggestions on the Kingdom Management. True, this is a complicated feature! To clarify it our creative director is preparing the big post describing the kingdom mechanics and some future improvements we are planning to implement in the upcoming releases. This post is under proofreading now and will be available in the beginning of the next week.

Please, be aware of the plot spoilers in the description below (in the Quest, Areas and Kingdom sections)!

Quests
  • The dialogue with Tristian didn't work correctly at the Capital after the "Betrayer's Flight" quest. Resolution: fixed.
  • The special event which started the second Tristian's quest "Saving Grace" could not be triggered on the Global Map. Resolution: fixed.
  • "An Amusement for the Nobles" quest couldn't be completed correctly if players chose Evil or Chaotic options in the dialogue with Jamel Visser. Resolution: fixed.

Areas
  • Kassil Aldori and Shandra Mervey could disappear if Neutral option (alliance with both Jamandi Aldori and Natala Surtova) was selectged during the "Hour of Rage" quest. They also could disappear in some cases after the Capital was upgraded to the "stone" state. Resolution: fixed.
  • The final dialogue with the Stag Lord could not be started if the main character was too far away from the place the Stag Lord died at at the "Stag Lord's Fort" area. Resolution: fixed.
  • The cut-scene where Linzi introduced her book about Pitax Academy could overlap with the cut-scene of Nyrissa's arrival to the Throne room. Resolution: fixed.
  • The romance with Regongar could get stuck in some cases and players couldn't leave the Capital Square or the Capital Tavern. Resolution: fixed.
  • In some cases the party could exit to the Global Map while still being in combat mode. Resolution: fixed.
  • Story events teleporting the main character from the Throne Room could break subsequent cutscenes which led to the game locking up at a later point in some cases. Resolution: fixed.
  • Certain Athletics check didn't work at the Pitax Royal Palace cellar. Resolution: fixed.
  • Clicking on the table in the Throne Room at certain specific moments could break a cut-scene. Resolution: fixed.
  • The dialogue with Hargulka could be missed in some cases in the beginning of the "Troll Lair" area. Resolution: fixed.

Kingdom
  • Project to increase Relations rank to 8th didn't appear on the Triumph resolution of "The Wrath of Sevenarches" event. Resolution: fixed. Project is available for the players who missed it.
  • Choosing one of the options in the dialog leading to 9th rank of Arcane led to the broken dialog for 10th rank. Resolution: fixed, players who experienced the broken dialog will be able to replay it.
  • Upgraded buildings didn't provide the stats they should. Resolution: fixed.
  • Special buildings like the "Nethys' Library" weren't considered as corresponding basic building in the building requirements. Resolution: fixed.

Classes & Mechanics
  • Dazzling Display, Dreadful Carnage and Cornugon Smash did not apply effects from the Thug rogue ability Frightening. Resolution: fixed.
  • A companion dialogue could be initiated with the party members under certain control conditions such as "Prismatic Spray". Resolution: fixed.
  • Madness Domain abilities were multiplied after loading a save. Resolution: fixed.
  • Improved Unarmed Strike ability disappeared after party participated at the "Drunken Melee" event at the "Rushlight Fields" area. Resolution: fixed.
  • Cleave, Vital Strikes and other similar abilities still required to go into melee range with the target, even when the wielder was using a reach weapon. Resolution: fixed.
  • Buffs could stay on the characters forever in some cases. Resolution: fixed.
  • Effortelss Armor did not work right after casting it and required reequipping the armor to gain the benefits. Resolution: fixed.
  • Archon's Aura did not work. Resolution: fixed.

Items
  • Gyronna's Amulet had Mirror Image issue. Resolution: Mirror Image buff is applied on combat start and ends on combat finish.

System
  • The mass loot UI could make the party get stuck in an area in some rare cases. Resolution: fixed.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Dazzling Display, Dreadful Carnage and Cornugon Smash did not apply effects from the Thug rogue ability Frightening. Resolution: fixed.
Oh man I wanted a rogue with big club but was stuck due to this.

However I still don't understand, i.e. you gain Finesse anyway yet I should just ignore that and build Strength/Charisma Rogue? Yosharian

Reinhardt

Arcane
The dialogue with Tristian didn't work correctly at the Capital after the "Betrayer's Flight" quest. Resolution: fixed.
At last. Got 4 or 5 "research curse - Trisitan" projects just trying to talk with him.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Thanks. I guess high level scrolls are rare as in BG II? When I came to that wizard shop in Saradush in ToB, I felt like a kid in a toy store, with most of high level scrolls in one place.
They're nothing as rare as in BG2.

They're much much much rarer. Majority of my spells were learned from leveling up.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Thanks. I guess high level scrolls are rare as in BG II? When I came to that wizard shop in Saradush in ToB, I felt like a kid in a toy store, with most of high level scrolls in one place.
They're nothing as rare as in BG2.

They're much much much rarer. Majority of my spells were learned from leveling up.
The game really needs to add more spell scrolls. And if you got two mages in party? No way to have them both know many spells.

Cael

Arcane
I refuse to play a wizard until they add a proper arcane merchant. :argh:
FYI scrolls corresponding to some of the spells don't even exist as items.
Well, thank goodness they didn't put in item creation feats. Scribe Scroll would be the source of a ton of frustration for players...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom