Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Quillon

Arcane
There is, it's in the May of Rage somewhere either in the article comments, or in the Appreciation Station thread, just search posts by Chris Avellone and you should find it.

There isn't, yo.

Josh himself got asked or simply said that "as the design director I'm giving feedback, its up to them whether to take it or leave it". There was nothing more on this until recent happenings.

Apparently I was wrong :D

Last edited:

2house2fly

Magister
No, I do remember something about them asking for the design director not to stick his nose in

Fairfax

Arcane
Right here:
Speaking of Boyarsky, how come he leaves cozy high level position at fucking Blizzard of all places, and goes to Obsidian if its such a horrible place to work?

Leonard would probably tell you if asked, but I will say that he likely would have more creative voice at Obsidian and for all the company’s problems, they would probably give him more control over his own work. For example, I believe the company specifically asked the Design Director not to interfere (beyond advice) for their project, which I don’t know would be true of every company where you might have many, many people weighing in and changing your work – having a “cozy” job isn’t usually something a real creative wants.

Creative freedom is a powerful motivator. Still, Leonard and Tim did leave Feargus/Black Isle once already and may have concluded over time the experience with Feargus/BIS wasn’t as bad as they remember – although memory can fade over time, and I wouldn’t be surprised if many of the issues that led to the initial departure are starting to resurface as they are reminded of practices they had forgotten about, and the closer you get to the top, the more you see.

There was some mention that Leonard’s story for their upcoming game was attacked unfairly by the Obsidian owners as being lacking, when, in fact, PoE2’s story had all the same “problems” that were being raised except at a much higher level - but PoE2 got a pass for it. This kind of disparity can get increasingly frustrating over time because it can come across as favoritism. Me, every design and quest arc I’ve read from Leonard in the past was pretty good, so I’m dubious that there would be anything wrong with his story proposals, and the Obsidian owners are probably the last people I would listen to when it comes to game story critiques.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Do you guys think that Microsofts workplace practices might actually get worse once Obsidian is assimilated into the fold?

are we in the darkest timeline? if so, Feargus will be running Microsoft's gaming division in a few years.

Feargus would be eaten alive by Microsoft's corporate sharks before he even says hi. Those guys play hard, man.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
giphy.gif

Sexual Offender Shuffle has got nothing on Win 95 Launch Party.

Flou

Arbiter
Not very cool of Avellone to disclose why someone leaves the company. I don't care about how it makes Obsidian look like, it's more of a common courtesy towards your friends and former coworkers not to blast their reasons out into the open.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Not very cool of Avellone to disclose why someone leaves the company. I don't care about how it makes Obsidian look like, it's more of a common courtesy towards your friends and former coworkers not to blast their reasons out into the open.
Where did MCA do this? All I see is restatements of known facts. Avellon didn't 'disclose' shit, unless you're referring to something else than the 'discussion' with the Obsidrone on Twatter.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Where did MCA do this? All I see is restatements of known facts. Avellon didn't 'disclose' shit, unless you're referring to something else than the 'discussion' with the Obsidrone on Twatter.

Nevermind--he implies right in the tweet that Davis left because of problems with management. I don't think that was public.

Cael

Arcane

Nevermind--he implies right in the tweet that Davis left because of problems with management. I don't think that was public.
Most people leave their jobs because of problems with management. Given what we know about Feargus and gang, you can't tell me that that won't be the first thing you think of when someone leaves that place.

ArchAngel

Arcane

When did Davis leave? Where is he now?
Did Feargue tell him to choose Obsidian or Codex? :)

Latelistener

Arcane
And he was defending the management. I guess we won't be seeing him here. Not saying he will even need Codex now that he's at Blizzard.

fobia

Well, subtlety doesn't seem to be his forte. :D

And if you gaze long into the codex, the codex gazes into you...

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom