Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are open world games a scam?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Or maybe an excuse for lack of content? Open world games usualy mean there is one big level with repeated few assets (trees, grass, ground etc) and placement of mobs/quests.

In non open world game, every level had to be differently designed, with different assets etc.

Is open world basicaly a dumbed down version of non open world games so the talent/cost needed for creation of a good game is lessened?

Last edited:

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Or maybe an excuse for lack of content? Open world games usualy mean there is one big level with repeated few assets (trees, grass, ground etc) and placement of mobs/quests.

In non open world games before every level had to be differently designed, with different assets etc.

Is open world basicaly a dumbed down version of non open world games so the talent/cost needed for creation of a good game is lessened?
I don't know about costs but when it comes to the size, open world is still a very large level.
Is it an excuse? Depends from game to game.
For example, Hitman: would it be better if it had a huge open world? MGSVTPP was criticized for going open world. What if Splinter Cell went for open world approach? In Hitman 2 Silent Assassin the levels allowed for more locations around the world to be seen, whereas in Ghost Recon Wildlands and other open world games, it's only one place to explore.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I swear to god Gothic got it right on the first outing with that sweet spot of seemingly open world and handcrafted content held in perfect balance. Too many audiences are overly focused on the technical aspect (gee willikers, no loading screens), but you should think about how often were games actually ENHANCED by being open world? Out of more recent examples Witcher 3 sure wasn't in my opinion.

Harkin Hails

Novice
I swear to god Gothic got it right on the first outing with that sweet spot of seemingly open world and handcrafted content held in perfect balance. Too many audiences are overly focused on the technical aspect (gee willikers, no loading screens), but you should think about how often were games actually ENHANCED by being open world? Out of more recent examples Witcher 3 sure wasn't in my opinion.

Pretty sure "NO LOADING SCREENS" stopped being a big deal, years ago.. except for Bethesda games. If they came out with that declaration, their fans would shit themselves.

I have yet to play a open world game where I went around doing random things for no reason. Open world sounds like a nice idea, but it's always implemented in the more banal way possible.

I think I liked what iD software developers said during RAGE development. The world is "open but directed". Gothic games are a good example of this when done right (but ironically, RAGE isn't).

Harkin Hails

Novice
One kind of "open world" game is just open world so that part can be listed as a "feature" on Steam page. A lot off Indie survival games are like that since making an open world game is the easiest fucking thing to do (you are just streaming different maps together, it takes like 5 mins to do that in Unreal, for example). In AAA world, Skyrim and Oblivion kinda comes between this and second type.

Second, is the "controlled" open world like GTA/Saints Row series. World is big enough for player to fuck around while not being "too big" for the artists/level designers, so they can make it interesting by creating unique areas and sprinkle small quests and events all over the place (people of interest in GTA games is a good one).

I like the later more.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Yes, they are scams.

Focus on good dungeon design and open missions - gameplay - not big empty worlds voiced by sean bean.

tritosine2k

Erudite
It'd need some sort of volume rendering instead of polygon sculpting, latter won't really work because once you have volumetric look you won't go back to that eggshell plasticky look.

Beastro

Arcane
Wow, I wasn't expecting Makabb to be the OP of this one.

No Man's Sky burn you that badly?

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Open worlds are a big fat procedurally generated scam where the developer promises thick and fast updates and then proceeds to cockblock everyone for eight months with no updates and then they shit out an even more terrible version of Fallout 4.
But you know what's worse than that? The fact that people actually gave Sean Murray sixty god damned dollars so he could do the exact same thing.

Plisken

Learned
good games are good and bad games are bad, the specific design philosophies dont matter that much.

i do hope people arent pretending there are hordes of classic game world design vidya that dont fucking stink just as much if not more than filler garbage like nu-far cry.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Having just started to play RDR2, the most common thought in my head has been "I wish I was back in Kamurocho."

Also a pet peeve of mine: Why do these huge open worlds insist on having an ingame clock that goes super-fast? I mean, you made the game world this huge, can't you at least then make time go normally as well, so ultimately time of day is up to player actions?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom