Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian and inXile acquired by Microsoft

Codex Year of the Donut
Having a hard time getting my head around the business logic here. Microsoft must not be paying very much.
Microsoft often takes (very large) losses simply to expand into new territories. Sometimes it fails, sometimes it's a smashing success.

2house2fly

Magister
Haha inXile must be wiping sweat from their brow in relief. Now Bards Tale 4 won't kill them.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the "plans" some Obsidian guy mentioned regarding Pillars 2. Maybe the game will get a cash injection from the new corporate overlords? Maybe they can redo the final fucking dungeon!

Dodo1610

Arcane
The best thing about becoming a first party developer is that the sales of their games become far less important since their job is now to create high quality exclusive content instead of makeing money.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Fargo interview: https://venturebeat.com/2018/11/10/microsoft-xbox-acquires-inxile/

Microsoft acquires InXile to make role-playing games for Xbox, PC

The Xbox team’s acquisition storm continues. The publisher revealed today that it is folding Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera studio InXile Entertainment into its portfolio of game development teams. InXile founder Brian Fargo helped revealed the partnership at Microsoft’s XO18 fan event in Mexico City today. I asked Fargo what the acquisition means for his company, and he explained that nothing is going to change except for the financial security of the company and the amount of money it can put into future projects.

“We could not be happier to have Microsoft’s support to allow us to keep making the games we love,” Fargo told GamesBeat. “They offer us the most precious thing a developer could have, time and resources. I’m energized like I’ve never been before.”

Fargo also addressed fans directly in a video message on YouTube. He talked in more detail about how this will free up his time to continue working on the projects that people want from InXile.

“One of my dreams has always been to create an environment where creativity can flourish,” he said. “And this is going to allow that to happen in a way that I’ve never had before. It’s going to allow me to spend 100 percent of my time in product development. It’s a luxury that very few development companies have, so I’m very excited.”

This is Microsoft’s sixth gaming acquisition of the year. It announced four acquisitions in June, it announced it was acquiring Obsidian in October, and now this. That’s on top of its brand new studio in Santa Monica. This gives the Xbox team more first-party power, and it also gives it more games to put into its Netflix-like Game Pass subscription for both Xbox One and PC.

Microsoft to the rescue
InXile started in 2002. Fargo founded it after leaving Interplay. The company began with the action role-playing game The Bard’s Tale in 2004, which is still one of its most beloved releases. After that it worked on puzzle games and ports through 2012, along with Hunted: The Demon’s Forge for Bethesda in 2011.

But InXile has had a resurgence over the last half decade. In 2012, the studio launched a Kickstarter to return to its computer RPG roots with Wasteland 2. At the end of that crowdfunding campaign, thousands of people ended up contributing nearly $3 million. Since then, it has relied on crowdfunding to launch games like Torment: Tides of Numenera and The Bard’s Tale IV: Barrows Deep.

These games have a loyal following, but this is a tough business for a studio the size of InXile. Creating games is getting more expensive — especially if you are trying to keep up with more well-funded outfits. And Fargo spoke vaguely about those pressures and implied that Microsoft rescued the studio from having to deal with them.

“One of the common themes that you’ve probably read about is the tenuous nature of survival for mid-sized game companies like ourselves,” Fargo said in his video to fans. “We live in this precarious position while we are simultaneously watching the audio, visual, and design capabilities grow at a breakneck pace. Joining the Microsoft team is going to let us spend all of our energies crafting the game experience.”

InXile says that in addition to having more money, it will also have all of Microsoft’s existing infrastructure at its disposal. The publisher has processes for doing quality assurance and localization, and InXile is going to take advantage of that.

Nothing is going to change
Fargo repeatedly insisted that InXile will continue to work on the stuff its fans have come to expect.

“Of course, we’re going to continue doing role-playing games,” he explained. “We love the world building. We love the sense of immersion. And we love when all of the game’s pieces come together. One of my favorite things about working on a great role-playing game is the vast number of emotions we can make a player feel. It’s really a great category to work on.”

He also confirmed that this acquisition shouldn’t derail the production of Wasteland 3, which is due out in 2019.

“Our studio is best known for our deep role-playing games, like Wasteland 2 and Tide of Numenera,” said Fargo. “Games that are centered around choice and consequence where your decisions change the world and narrative. Recently, we released The Bards Tale IV, where we modernized the classic dungeon-crawling experience. And we are just warming up with Wasteland with the upcoming Wasteland 3. At InXile, we love to write for the brutal world that makes the post-apocalyptic themes so fascinating.”

The question exciting question is what does the next game after Wasteland 3 look like for InXile? And Fargo hinted at that in his video.

“The bottom line is that we’re going to be able to make games that we would have never been able to make otherwise,” he said. “And even better, the DNA of the company will remain exactly the same. Microsoft wants to work with us because of who we are. They want us to keep doing what we are doing. They want to provide a stable home so we can be ambitious — allowing InXile to reach its full potential.”

So that likely means increased production values. I’m imagining a Bard’s Tale V with blockbuster-style visuals and voice acting. But who knows. Only one thing is certain.

As Fargo puts it, “This deal is going to allow us to make role-playing games for many years to come.”

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Haha inXile must be wiping sweat from their brow in relief. Now Bards Tale 4 won't kill them.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the "plans" some Obsidian guy mentioned regarding Pillars 2. Maybe the game will get a cash injection from the new corporate overlords? Maybe they can redo the final fucking dungeon!
Pillars 2 (be continued)? :P

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
People are being all excited about this. It's amazing how brainwashed by corporations people are. Remember how everyone was rightfully horrified about EA buying BioWare back in the day?

cruelio

Savant
Microsoft buying Inxile is like them buying Minecraft and making fat lazy thief Notch into a mega billionaire all over again. Just an injustice. The fraudsters really do win in this corrupt world.

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
People are being all excited about this. It's amazing how brainwashed by corporations people are. Remember how everyone was rightfully horrified about EA buying BioWare back in the day?
it's impossible for inxile to sink lower and their games seem to be made on a budget of twenty bucks and a lie

but yeah i'm bummed about obsidian

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Interplay is back together baby

They should totally buy the Interplay trademark from Herve and use it as a title for the new inXile-Obsidian RPG division.
Find out who owns the Troika name and buy that up instead

Owned by nobody - the company was shut down voluntarily, it didn't go bankrupt. Maybe Tim Cain still has some kind of copyright over the name. They can use it whenever they want.

Hellraiser

Arcane
What the fuck is Microsoft trying to pull with this? What value added are they hoping for? This is just idiotic from a business standpoint, even if they are doing this only to try to make windows store appealing.

Fargo must be laughing all the way to the bank. The greatest trick he ever pulled.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
After just watching Obsidian's announcement the only thought in my mind was to log in the Codex. And so I did.

giphy.gif

Diablo169

Arcane

I'm not excited or upset. Neither studio has made anything that I care about for some time now. I was caught up in the kick-starter hype a few years back. Neither studio made anything that met those expectations. Let's see how long the management lasts at either company.

getter77

Augur
There's been a lot of strange and unexpected happenings this year, but damn it all if the inXile part of this at least isn't way up there among the most extreme.

Delterius

Arcane
Exactly. After PoE2's sales Obsidian was bound to die in a year to two. While its taking EA DECADES to kill BioWare.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
What the fuck is Microsoft trying to pull with this? What value added are they hoping for? This is just idiotic from a business standpoint, even if they are doing this only to try to make windows store appealing.

Fargo must be laughing all the way to the bank. The greatest trick he ever pulled.

MS needs more big names and exclusive titles to sell xbox hardware. Not sure InXile counts for the first, but at minimum, MS should get some games out of these two acquisitions that they can add to a list of exclusives for PC/Xbox and convince people to buy a new console.

The actual quality of the games is less important upfront than having them at all to help sell their hardware.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom