Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian and inXile acquired by Microsoft

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Extended version of inXile video:

So Microsoft heavily cut Fargo's announcement speech, while giving Obsidian more then double the time.

:philosoraptor:

The obsidian trailer on youtube is also a lot longer than what was aired in the stream.

Latelistener

Arcane
Tim and Leonard should leave. Maybe take some capable people with them like Josh and start another studio with better management.

While Obsidian owns the IP Private Division has "long-term rights to develop sequels" to the IP.
If nothing has changed, they will be able to make sequels for the universe they created while being in another studio.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
There is no place for independent mid sized studios anymore.

Perhaps,the so called "renaissance" didn't bring the sales most of them hoped so now HBS,Obsidian and Inxile are all gone,only CDProject,Larian and perhaps Owlcat are left(not counting indies like Iron Tower)

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
I'll wait until I see the results before I get mad.
Both studios had money troubles that prevented them from putting their best foot forward, now this isn't a problem anymore.

It's very likely that this will go horribly wrong, but until then i'm :positive:

Gord

Arcane
WTF, the moment you find the time to spend a few hours playing Pathfinder: Kingmaker undisturbed without checking the net and then this happens.

Assuming they will be allowed to do more than XBox exclusives in the future, Microsoft seems quite serious about keeping Windows relevant as a gaming platform. Wonder if Valve's recent release of Proton has anything to do with it?

It is a bit ironic, though. Both studios were also founded as a way to gain more independence. And now they are bought out. Wonder if the cycle will eventually repeat itself?

Last edited:

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

People that believe this sales pitch are functionally retarded. They'll be doing XBone-games for controllers sold through the Windows Store, only compatible with Windows 10 in a mockery of good taste and gaming before the end of next year.

Never in the history of gaming has something like this resulted in better games, better conditions or circumstances for gamers, or in the acquired studios retaining their soul and/or autonomy. Not even once.

Codex Year of the Donut
Microsoft? Not so much.
They destroyed Rare, Ensemble, and Lionhead. New management now and all that, but their record is very far from clean.

Yeah, I'm sure it was Microsoft's fault that Lionhead dissolved.
"They were going, you can't have a black person on the cover, and you can't have a woman. And you want a black woman. And I was like, yes, I do, because it's about be whatever hero you want. No. It's a white guy. That's just the way it is. We know what sells and that's fucking it. Stop the arguing. I was like, fuck you! That was a huge fight.

"They said, what's the most unsuccessful Disney film? I was like, I don't know. They went, Princess and the Frog. Work it out. I was like fuck you, man. I hated it.
"I was screaming at them in conference calls. I lost it at that point, because they just weren't getting the game. Especially because we were the first ever game that had gay marriage, we were about breaking down walls. It was meant to be funny and mature. They just took none of it and just did the usual white guy with a sword on the front. Damn it! You missed the point!"
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-05-12-lionhead-the-inside-story

Kallinyo

Novice
I guess the band is getting back together, I just hope that maybe there's gonna be an Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura sequel. Like literally that's the only good thing that might come out of this, I guess I'm just trying to be optimistic

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fabulously optimistic scenario: inXile and Obsidian get unlimited creative freedom forever.

Edgy and pessimistic scenario: It's pure 100% Xbox and Windows Store-exclusive popamole from this point on.

Actually most likely scenario: Relative creative freedom for the time being, but at some point management will change and the hammer will drop. Make the most of it!

2house2fly

Magister
Fire Feargus and present him in a cage to Chris Avellone, his to keep if he just takes a creative lead position on Pillars Of Eternity 3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom