Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian and inXile acquired by Microsoft

The Real Fanboy

People that believe this sales pitch are functionally retarded. They'll be doing XBone-games for controllers sold through the Windows Store, only compatible with Windows 10 in a mockery of good taste and gaming before the end of next year.

Never in the history of gaming has something like this resulted in better games, better conditions or circumstances for gamers, or in the acquired studios retaining their soul and/or autonomy. Not even once.

You can also play them on the Xbox One with a mouse and keyboard from the 14th of November

Don Peste

Arcane
I guess the band is getting back together, I just hope that maybe there's gonna be an Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura sequel. Like literally that's the only good thing that might come out of this, I guess I'm just trying to be optimistic
C'mon, you know it's gonna be Baldur's Gate reboot.

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
WTF, the moment you find the time to spend a few hours playing Pathfinder: Kingmaker undisturbed without checking the net and then this happens.

Assuming they will be allowed to do more than XBox exclusives in the future, Microsoft seems quite serious about keeping Windows relevant as a gaming platform. Wonder if Valve's recent release of Proton has anything to do with it?

It is a bit ironic, though. Both studios were also founded as a way to gain more independence. And now they are bought out. Wonder if the cycle will eventually repeat itself?
Weirdly, they've even announced one or two pc-only games (most notably Gears of War Tactics which, yes, sounds fucking retarded, but is explicitly not being made for consoles at all). I really don't know what the fuck Microsoft is doing with their games division, it's bizarre

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Yeah I think Microsoft really missed the trick here - they should have bought Black Isle trademark and put both InXile and OE under that umbrella. It would be #1 gaming news for a week instead of "yeah so they bought some new studios".

ADL

Prophet
Fabulously optimistic scenario: inXile and Obsidian get unlimited creative freedom forever.

Edgy and pessimistic scenario: It's pure 100% Xbox and Windows Store-exclusive popamole from this point on.

Actually most likely scenario: Relative creative freedom for the time being, but at some point management will change and the hammer will drop. Make the most of it!
Even if fabulously optimistic scenario happens, it's still going to be games fundamentally designed around console input and console limitations and their shitty walled garden which extends to PC as well.

Blackstaff

Arbiter
Meh. Nothing lost on all front tbh.
To have a business going, you need good products. Both Obsidian and Inexile made repeatedly shit ones, and will continue to do so for various and obvious reasons (from the management to the talents, and the political climate and other BS going on).

Wrpgs are dead in North America and that's pretty normal considering the heavy decline the place is going through.

Moving on to the indies and europe.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Looks like inXile just renewed their website: https://www.inxile-entertainment.com/

https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19904

Hi everyone, big news today for inXile Entertainment. Brian discusses the news in the video here. Check it out!

https://youtu.be/Qg1Nu65iG7o

All of us at inXile are pretty excited. For an indie company, plugging into this kind of institutional support is going to let us realize the visions we have for our games that much more completely. We’re also happy because it means we get to keep the band together, starting with Brian’s retirement party being canceled.

inXile is still going to be inXile. Anyone who follows Microsoft, whether their own games, second party titles, or ID@XBOX program knows that they have a proven commitment to diverse gaming. Microsoft hired us because of who we are, and that’s a group of developers who love making and playing RPGs. That is what we’re going to keep doing, with work continuing on The Bard’s Tale IV: Barrows Deep, The Bard’s Tale Trilogy, Wasteland 3, and beyond. I’m sure there will be more news as we move forward on this, but for now we’re content to just share in the good news and get thinking about what comes next.

And we thank you again for all your support. Long live the RPG!

Fry

Arcane
Damn. I REALLY want to know what MS paid for all this.

I'm guessing inXile got tossed in for about $500K and a nice dinner.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
We’re also happy because it means we get to keep the band together, starting with Brian’s retirement party being canceled.

They're making absolutely certain to put that information into every single version of their announcement. A requirement of the takeover agreement?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Ah, so then it's not "i don't need to retire anymore" it's "i can't fucking retire anymore".
A3Vr7Zi.jpg
When you just want to hang out in front of your pool dressed completely in black but Microsoft forces you to make RPGs.

Fairfax

Arcane
Yeah I think Microsoft really missed the trick here - they should have bought Black Isle trademark and put both InXile and OE under that umbrella. It would be #1 gaming news for a week instead of "yeah so they bought some new studios".
I think Herve would rather keep it out of spite, unless he's extremely desperate. Fargo cucked him out of a fortune from the Fallout deal alone.

ADL

Prophet
WTF, the moment you find the time to spend a few hours playing Pathfinder: Kingmaker undisturbed without checking the net and then this happens.

Assuming they will be allowed to do more than XBox exclusives in the future, Microsoft seems quite serious about keeping Windows relevant as a gaming platform. Wonder if Valve's recent release of Proton has anything to do with it?

It is a bit ironic, though. Both studios were also founded as a way to gain more independence. And now they are bought out. Wonder if the cycle will eventually repeat itself?

DX12 to Vulkan (vkd3d) is already in a functioning state. UWP apps and dependencies will likely be figured out and functional in the next 12-24 months.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I think Herve would rather keep it out of spite, unless he's extremely desperate. Fargo cucked him out of a fortune from the Fallout deal alone.

I'm not sure if Hevre owns it anymore. It probably got acquired by somebody when he did that garage sale of all remaining Interplay properties.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Microsoft is going to buff both studios up and turn them into AAA popamole factories eventually. But i think this will take time and will probably affect next gen consoles, since the current gen is pretty much over: Any new game development beginning NOW is going to finish when PS5 and the like will be in stores. Rumor has it that PS5 dev kits have been circulating for some time already... I suppose Microsoft is not far behind.

In the mean time both companies are going to finish whatever they had in the pipeline, for Inxile this means Wasteland 3, for Obsidian, i don't know. Probably nothing.

The sad news is that us Linux users are going to miss sequels to PoE, Tyranny etc, and even Wasteland 3 for Linux is doubtful.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom