Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian and inXile acquired by Microsoft

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
There's obviously something to be said for maintaining the freedom of self-ownership, but there are other kinds of freedoms that they get by having Microsoft's resources behind them.
There's only one true freedom - not having to answer to anyone. The rest is make-believe. All that stuff about being autonomous, it's bullshit and we both know it. Sure, it's good business for both Feargus and Fargo, a reward for the long game well played, but making RPGs was never about good business, was it?

You can’t have creative freedom if you don’t have any money. The freedom they’re sacrificing here is the freedom to go bankrupt.
Look at what small indie studios have done with 1% of Obsidian or inXile budgets. Take Battle Brothers, for example.

A game where characters only have heads because it was too expensive to add legs? Yeah being a starving artist with creative freedom really allows you to break new boundaries.

DeepOcean

Arcane
You can’t have creative freedom if you don’t have any money. The freedom they’re sacrificing here is the freedom to go bankrupt.
And then they won't have the freedom to make little money, for Microsoft, 1 million copies is small potatoes, they want sales on the double digits, guess what kind of games reach that number?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Kickstarter RPG era of the past 6+ years, which started so optimistically, ended up being a brutal Darwinian competition for player time in which there could be only one victor.

Larian won, everybody else washed out. Harebrained Schemes went to Paradox, and now inXile and Obsidian have gone to Microsoft. They're quite lucky tbh - it could have ended a lot worse for them.

Delterius

Arcane

Sacibengala

Prophet
We all know where this is going, we all saw the same thing happening over and over. Be realistic people, focus on the good people that are making good stuff. Don't praise ghosts of the past, because they will haunt you, as these F**** are haunting us now.

Bocian

Arcane

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
And then they won't have the freedom to make little money, for Microsoft, 1 million copies is small potatoes, they want sales on the double digits, guess what kind of games reach that number?
Alpha Protocol 2 is going to be great

DeepOcean

Arcane
The Kickstarter RPG era of the past 6+ years, which started so optimistically, ended up being a brutal Darwinian competition for player time in which there could be only one victor.

Larian won, everybody else washed out. Harebrained Schemes went to Paradox, and now inXile and Obsidian have gone to Microsoft. They're quite lucky tbh - it could have ended a lot worse.
Well, for us, RPG gamers, ended pretty bad though. If Fargo is happy with being rescued by Microsoft from his bullshit, I don't feel much emphatic about it.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
for Microsoft, 1 million copies is small potatoes, they want sales on the double digits, guess what kind of games reach that number?

You just know Microsoft was foaming at the mouth for a cut of Deadfire's ~130k sales.
If Microsoft wanted popamoles, there are better developers for that.

I think Nick was right with what he said earlier about the gamepass stuff. A nice selection of churned out AAA titles from their Halo/Gears/Forza teams while also having smaller (and more importantly, inexpensive) titles from Ninja Theory/Compulsion/Obsidian to make their video game equivalent of Netflix a very attractive offer.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Meh. Listen. This is the truth. I've really felt that since they left Kickstart and went shady as aaaaaalll hell Fig, and since Avellone left, obsidian has been dead to me as a company.

Chris' revelations of mismanagement don't come as a surprise, sadly. And part of me does not doubt that Tim Cain and Leon Boyarski are kinda regretting going back to work for the same guy that drove them out to begin with.

To me, nothing of real value was lost. The only possible gains are as follows: Microsoft pushes Fergus out and Tim Cain and Leon Boyarski start producing real RPGs. Then again, shit alwaya finda a way to float to the top.

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Yeah, the main problem with gamepass in an advertising way is that it really doesn't have a lot of stuff. That's especially true for Windows, which can't run all the 360 and xbox shit that you get on the xbone, so all you can play is Gears 4, Forza, and Dead State 2. Netflix could shore up their offerings by licensing stuff but that doesn't seem to be an option, so this is the next best thing for them.

Note that I'm not talking about this from a consumer standpoint, because obviously for actual people trying to buy and play things it's shitty, but that's almost certainly the reason.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer

Larian won, everybody else washed out. Harebrained Schemes went to Paradox, and now inXile and Obsidian have gone to Microsoft. They're quite lucky tbh - it could have ended a lot worse for them.
A brutal Darwinian struggle where free money was handed to everyone for half a decade and then they all got bought out and made mega-millionaires. We should all be so lucky to suffer such a selection process.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What are the possibilities of this era?

Shadowrun RPG.

Easier transfer of personnel between Obsidian and inXile (think George Ziets).

What other IPs does Microsoft own?

Shadenuat

Arcane
2 old, let's call them "businessmen" sold their shit and now can sail together on their new yacht leaving, let's call them "people", who wrote Deadfire, and "made" BT4 to their own

It will be entertaining to see what they will make next

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom