Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News RPGPOCALYPSE: Obsidian and inXile have been acquired by Microsoft

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brian Fargo; Carrie Patel; Chris Parker; Feargus Urquhart; inXile Entertainment; Josh Sawyer; Leonard Boyarsky; Megan Starks; Microsoft; Mikey Dowling; Obsidian Entertainment; Tim Cain

Sometimes rumors turn out to be true, and sometimes the truth turns out to be stranger than any rumor. Today at the X018 event in Mexico City, Microsoft announced their acquisition of both Obsidian Entertainment and inXile Entertainment. Both studios have released videos to explain the news to their fans, promising bigger budgets and creative freedom. I'll post them along with Microsoft's official newspost:

As part of our commitment to bringing a steady stream of new, exclusive games to our fans, I’m excited to announce Microsoft’s intent to acquire two new game development studios – Obsidian Entertainment and inXile Entertainment.

Obsidian Entertainment was founded in 2003 in Irvine, Calif. by industry veterans from Black Isle Studios, led by Feargus Urquhart. The studio quickly made a name for itself with the Xbox exclusive Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords. Over the last fifteen years, they have delivered genre-defining RPGs to players on both console and PC through titles including Fallout: New Vegas, South Park: The Stick of Truth, and Pillars of Eternity.

inXile Entertainment is a team of industry veterans with decades of PC and RPG expertise. Led by Interplay founder Brian Fargo, inXile’s two development teams in Newport Beach, Calif. and New Orleans excel at creating vast worlds for players to explore with titles such as Wasteland 2, Torment: Tides of Numenera, Bard’s Tale IV and the upcoming Wasteland 3.

It was important for us to find studio partners who have strong creative visions, a mastery of their medium and are expert world-builders. Obsidian and inXile embody all of these qualities while also bringing expertise on the PC platform and a unique RPG focus to the table.

While they do share a common heritage, the two creative teams at Obsidian and inXile are very different. They will continue to operate autonomously with their unique talents, IP and expertise. As part of Microsoft Studios, Obsidian and inXile will have the support and freedom to fully realize their creative ambitions on both existing franchises and new RPG projects.

Together, the two new studios bolster Microsoft Studios to now include 13 distinct and diverse game development teams. We’re focused on implementing new Microsoft technologies, delivering content for new platforms and services like Xbox Game Pass, and creating exclusive games that turn players into loyal Xbox fans. We are committed to expanding the Microsoft Studios franchises players already love, and investing in new, exclusive content for every type of gamer.

It is a genuine pleasure to welcome Obsidian and inXile to the growing Microsoft Studios team and work with them to deliver bigger and more ambitious games for their fans. I’m excited to see the teams maximize their potential at Microsoft and can’t wait for what the future has in store.

I guess this is particularly good news for Wasteland 3, which will now have the budget to become a viable post-apocalyptic competitor to the Divinity: Original Sin series. What it means for Obsidian's still-unannounced game with Take-Two Interactive is still unclear. Perhaps that will be the division of labor going forward, with inXile continuing to develop niche titles while Obsidian returns to their big budget roots. Whatever happens, it's safe to say that the six and a half year era of crowdfunded "AA" RPGs is officially over. Who would have believed that Interplay would be reforged under the Microsoft umbrella? Maybe they should grab the Black Isle trademark from Herve Caen while they're at it.

Bohr

Arcane
At least the employees get paid for a while I guess, no need to worry about the recent duds, but it's obvious how things will go in the long run

:popamole:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
As the song goes, you need to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, know when to run. Gotta credit inXile and Obsidian for holding their cards till exactly the right moment. All of those dancing on the sales of POE2 and TTON were perhaps prematurely exuberant. :)

Delterius

Arcane
breakin news!
8JA5Ice.png

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
At least the employees get paid for a while I guess, no need to worry about the recent duds, but it's obvious how things will go in the long run

:popamole:

Exactly my thoughts. I hope Boyarsky at least gets a decent game out the door before they go belly up.

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
This could be the extra help they needed to start making super great games again without worrying about the money and give us a new generation of AAA crpg's.

oh well, who am I kidding, arpg pad centered with less depth than my toilet incoming to your xbox and windows app store in 2021.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
It all depends on whether Microsoft gaming division has dropped the "gears halo if it's not shooter we don't like it" mantra of old, it seems that this is the case. From their perspective they need some counterbalance from Sony in console market and valve trying to get PC gaming to switch to linux. A good way to retain "gamers" is to have relatively more niche titles exclusive to their platform(xbone will turn into MS made prebuild, just give them one iteration more.

The problem is they've bought 2 studios that are in relative troubles. Inexile hasn't relesred single "hit" and are doing what I call cargo cult design, obsidian is allegedly improving slowly, but now they're doing different game than the previous 3 so who knows if all the method and personnel that used to make these "niche" games won't leave while they're doing the boyarcain flop.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
According to Wikipedia (who edits this quickly?) both studios are now subsidiaries in the Microsoft Studios division.

It has also other companies, such as Microsoft Casual Games, which is responsible for the development of Microsoft Minesweeper and Microsoft Bingo, among other esteemed titles.

Perhaps this is a new opportunity for Choplifter franchise?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Studios#Microsoft_Casual_Games

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Considering that inXile must have been close to bankruptcy by now with the TTON and BT4 duds, this was a good move by Fargo. And he wanted to retire anyway.

Who knows, maybe with a new boss and Microsoft money, inXile may actually deliver something more worthwhile.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom