Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News RPGPOCALYPSE: Obsidian and inXile have been acquired by Microsoft

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Considering that inXile must have been close to bankruptcy by now with the TTON and BT4 duds, this was a good move by Fargo. And he wanted to retire anyway.

Who knows, maybe with a new boss and Microsoft money, inXile may actually deliver something more worthwhile.

Actually one of the conditions of the deal is that Brian Fargo is not retiring.

Bohr

Arcane
As the song goes, you need to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, know when to run. Gotta credit inXile and Obsidian for holding their cards till exactly the right moment. All of those dancing on the sales of POE2 and TTON were perhaps prematurely exuberant. :)

Not saying selling out to MS isn't a nice move for the owners, but wouldn't "exactly the right moment" to sell a business ideally be after a massive success rather than a bit of a flop? Can't have boosted the valuation, put it that way.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
inXile definitely didn't wait until the right moment. After the horror of the BT4 release I figured they'd have to be several millions in the red and possibly unable to finish WL3. And Fargo's speech gave me the impression that the alternative to acquisition would have been bankruptcy.

Dump Stat

Novice
Its been almost 9 years since Obsidian made a game I was interested in, and other than Wasteland 2 being "good" it was downhill from there. I don't see much worse they can do, other than releasing the games on the awful Windows Store.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Micro$hit is basically a death sentence equal to EA now. This was nothing more than a strategic move by Micro$hit to push for creating a new generation of games that are windows 10 exclusive to force more people to downgrading to their botnet.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
As the song goes, you need to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, know when to run. Gotta credit inXile and Obsidian for holding their cards till exactly the right moment. All of those dancing on the sales of POE2 and TTON were perhaps prematurely exuberant. :)

I mean due dilligence is a thing. Without a doubt Microsoft saw the sales and probably offered a *reasonable* price for the two studios.

Don Peste

Arcane
yAo4smd.jpg

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
The thread title is bad, and you know it.

It is but a sign of things to come. Infinitron as we all know was on Fargo's payroll, so he is now owned by Microsoft. Expect the front page to be full of Halo news within few weeks.

I'm consumed by the mystery of how he decided that the Obsidian video would be embedded before the inXile video in the OP.

TF.gif

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Oh boy more Win10 exclusives I'll never play. I give it five years tops before they're forced to make some dubious micro-transaction riddled game that inevitably flops and they shutter forever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom